You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#681127 - 11/05/21 11:15 AM [User Showcase] High Sierra
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

everybody loves a good old cowboy song..... right?

THIS..... this is the reason I bought BB all those many years ago. I wanted a good steel guitar.

I debated on whether to play guitar on this and decided to only play the acoustics..... two of the,m panned wide and low..... this was destined to be a steel guitar song. Fills are mostly mandolin.

The band is

Bass 2915
Drums Blues rock even
I kept the BB guitars and lowered the levels.... 2904 & 2930
Steel 2883
B3 686 ( I tend to use this one a lot)
Mando 3149
I'm on the Taylor acoustic. Double tracked and wide.
There's 5 tracks of vocals. Lead... down the center, doubled on the sides and low, and 2 harmonies down with the doubles.

Enjoy

High Sierra

And the lyrics.... just finished them in the middle of the vocal recording.....It hit me.... Oh wait.... these are better words....(in the chorus)

When the sun comes up tomorrow I'll be leaving
another crowd 200 miles away
this old rodeo, it's in my blood and in my veins
One day it might even be the death of me.

Cowboys aren't the kind that like to settle down
we always have some other place to be
Sunrise on a mountain top , or a starry sky at night
It really doesn't matter as long as we 're living free

High Sierra,
Where a man can know what it feels like to be free
High Sierra,
Where the evening breeze is blowing through the trees

solo

I've been way too long living in a city
I need to see the tumble weeds again
A campfire in the night, man that's such a sight
I gotta be where the wind is blowing free

High Sierra,
Where a man can know what it feels like to be free
High Sierra,
Where the evening breeze is blowing through the trees

Edited by Guitarhacker (11/05/21 11:23 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#681205 - 11/05/21 05:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Herb,

Nice sounding track. I like your vocal treatment. Good mix.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#681229 - 11/05/21 10:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: SA, Australia
Ghostgum Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: SA, Australia
Everything fits well. Nice, even mix. The lyrics and music combine to take the listener 'on location.'

#681295 - 11/06/21 09:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: United States
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: United States
Sounds really nice Herb! Love the harmonies! It's odd not hearing your electric guitar playing but your arrangement and corresponding instrument choices are super! Really good Country flavored tune! Thanks, Torrey

#681314 - 11/06/21 11:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Expert

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Guitarhacker:

Generally I’m not the biggest fan of country, but you’ve got a good one here. I think good country, more so than other genres, really turns on the quality of the lyric—and this is a stellar write. Bolstered by great production, it delivers the goods in spades. Great choice to feature the steel guitar—it’s the star here . . . but your vocal is also very cool, very authentic for the feel of the song. Outstanding work!

All my best to you,

Deej

#681420 - 11/07/21 06:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
jptjptjpt Offline
Expert

You are right, I always love a cowboy song. This is good. Good lyrics. I love the "High Sierra" part. Well done. Vocals are rich. Good work. That country band is pretty good too - you should hire them full time.

#681452 - 11/07/21 12:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: jptjptjpt]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

i'm not big on country...but i really like what youve done with this.
a very full nice mix. sounds really nice.
nice lyrics.
when you sing 'high sierra' i would suggest considering vocal doubling herb.
i like that lyric 'tumbleweeds again' etc.

best herb.
om

https://soundcloud.com/user-302791555/tracks

#681467 - 11/07/21 02:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
A really tidy production package.
there's an occasional crack like when you sing "be" at the end of a phrase where the vocal triggers a bit more reverb than expected but other wise this is really well done.
The melody vaguely reminds me of an old, (1972), Australian song that has a nice loping, relaxed feel too... Rock n Roll Lady

#681485 - 11/07/21 03:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: jptjptjpt]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
This is a super country song and it should be played on the radio today.

You nailed that country groove! Great vocal and mix.

Two thumbs up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#681556 - 11/08/21 06:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Nice sounding track. I like your vocal treatment. Good mix.

Jim.... vox treatment is doubling and some verb.... with harmony in a few places. Thanks.

Quote:
Everything fits well. Nice, even mix. The lyrics and music combine to take the listener 'on location.'

Ghostgum.... thanks... Isn't that the ultimate goal of the song? To take the listener on a brief excursion into the magical place of the song. I'm glad it did that for you

Quote:
Sounds really nice Herb! Love the harmonies! It's odd not hearing your electric guitar playing but your arrangement and corresponding instrument choices are super! Really good Country flavored tune! Thanks,

Torrey, Sometimes I just have to take a back seat and do what the song tells me it wants. Thank you

Quote:
Generally I’m not the biggest fan of country, but you’ve got a good one here. I think good country, more so than other genres, really turns on the quality of the lyric—and this is a stellar write. Bolstered by great production, it delivers the goods in spades. Great choice to feature the steel guitar—it’s the star here . . . but your vocal is also very cool, very authentic for the feel of the song. Outstanding work!

Deej. When I can pull in someone who's not a fan of the genre.... I think I've done my job. I love to write story songs... some of the great country writers of the past excelled at this. THanks for your input.

Quote:
You are right, I always love a cowboy song. This is good. Good lyrics. I love the "High Sierra" part. Well done. Vocals are rich. Good work. That country band is pretty good too - you should hire them full time.

JPT. I had a patron (read "heckler") in a club one night yell out hey... can't you play anything but country. I replied.... yes, in fact I can play both kinds of music.... Country and WESTERN.... and proceeded to play Home on the range.... the place went nuts. I love a good western song. Thanks. I did hire them....

Quote:
i'm not big on country...but i really like what youve done with this. a very full nice mix. sounds really nice. nice lyrics. when you sing 'high sierra' i would suggest considering vocal doubling herb. i like that lyric 'tumbleweeds again' etc.

OM... If you listen closely, there is doubling through the entire song and harmony in there as well. It's just that I run those really low to get more of an ambience to the background as opposed to obvious doubling. You can hear it clearly in a few places where I got sloppy at the mixing stage and didn't "fix" the stuff that wasn't perfectly synced. If it gets too loud in the mix it will cause comb filtering and that's undesirable. So I keep it low. You can figure that on everything I do, with rare exceptions, there is vocal doubling and often harmony. This song has 5 vocal tracks. And there's a dedicated vocal sub buss. Tumbleweeds.... it's all about taking you to the location and seeing it in your minds eye.

Quote:
A really tidy production package. there's an occasional crack like when you sing "be" at the end of a phrase where the vocal triggers a bit more reverb than expected but other wise this is really well done. The melody vaguely reminds me of an old, (1972), Australian song that has a nice loping, relaxed feel too... Rock n Roll Lady

RayC... I had to listen to see what you were talking about on "be". I hear it. I think it's an artifact that happened from the MP3 conversion on Soundcloud. It's not there in the wave in the DAW. That's a damn fine audio catch. Thanks for pointing that out. I will investigate it closer.... but not this week.

Quote:
This is a super country song and it should be played on the radio today. You nailed that country groove! Great vocal and mix. Two thumbs up.

Mario, thanks... but they're really not playing country music as we define it, on today's radio.... but I do agree.... this needs to be in the current national rotation.

Thanks to everyone who has commented..... be advised.... I will be busy this week so I won't have a chance to set down and reply to your comments..... Lilly and I are working on getting her HRD water certification this week and we'll be out of town from before sun up to well after sundown every day. I will try to check in when we're not in the boat or otherwise engaged in some sort of training..... We're going to be beat by Friday.

Edited by Guitarhacker (11/08/21 06:45 AM)

#681806 - 11/10/21 06:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Ah, yes, Herb, the perfect Cowboy Song is one that sounds good with a full country band OR with a single acoustic around the campfire. This one is perfect. So well sung, and what a great band. That's cool how you were still changing the lyrics at the recording session. Can't stop the creativity churning in a passionate mind. Excellent lyrics.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 10

#681810 - 11/10/21 07:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Cow Country, Florida
Planobilly Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cow Country, Florida
Good stuff Herb. I guess we both like to write rodeo cowboy songs.

I just got my first Mandolin and I really liked how you used the Mandolin in this song. Most likely steal some ideas from you.

The vocal on the High Sierra was a cool way to form a hook.

Thanks for posting this.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo

#681815 - 11/10/21 08:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Herb,
One of the best tunes I have heard by you. (to my taste). This got a perfect balance of Country rocker going to almost Folk like ballad. Very good write, arrangement and vocals. Only issue, I can hear, it has that "metallic" sound of the whole mix. Reading your notes, I think it might relate to that MP3 conversion you mentioned. Enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#681916 - 11/10/21 05:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
Nothing wrong with a good Cowboy toon.

Nice one!

moto

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#682015 - 11/11/21 01:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
This is a very nicely done production.

The imagery is standout. All of the references to nature are easy to imagine.

The vocals well delivered the feeling and, yeah, that steel was the ticket.

Nice,

J&B

#682020 - 11/11/21 02:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Yeah this is classic country man.

Really enjoyed it a lot! You should bring old country back.

The country needs it man.

smile

#682101 - 11/12/21 03:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Versmold - GERMANY
PROJECT M Offline
Expert

Loc: Versmold - GERMANY
Excellent song, Herb
Absolutely brilliant mixed
The sound sounds like one unit
Superbly done
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

#682174 - 11/12/21 03:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Virginia USA
This is a great song. Your vocal is full and rich. Mix is excellent. The melody throughout the song is a grabber.

#682722 - 11/14/21 04:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Wonderful song Herb!! I always like the cowboy thing....wrote a song called Sailors and Cowboys about chasing the next horizon. Love the way you delivered this!! Really good writing, singing, production......the whole nine!! Take care. Greg

#683160 - 11/16/21 06:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: High Sierra [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I'm Back...... what a whirlwind of a week last week. We, my dog Lilly and I, were at AMPWADA advanced water and land HRD training. Lots of fun and some frustration but we had a good time, met a number of other handlers and dogs, and learned a few things about ourselves and this thing we do of finding the missing and lost. Then... yesterday, we took our HRD land certification test with NCPDA. Lilly aced it and passed it with flying colors and we are good to go for another year. Now, to get caught up on the things that I need to do and maybe, by next week, I can get back to music.

In addition... last week, I found out that my buddy, Danny, my friend who wrote and sang Blue on Red, Old Tin Roof, and a few other songs some here have heard, is likely to pass soon. Hospice gave him a week or two. So I went to see him to say my goodbye to a friend, road buddy, and overall very talented guy.

OK... back to the thread.... In the interest of time.....

Thanks: Babu, Planobilly, Misha, Moto, J&B, David Snyder, Andi, Ezekiel, and Greg.

I appreciate the time you all took to listen and comment. Much appreciated.

PG Music News
Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

Take a look at our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

In this video, we demonstrate how to use some of the newest features added with Band-in-a-Box® 2023, including Partial Re-Generation, Undo Track/Song Regeneration, Playable RealTracks, Master Track Automation, and more!

Watch: Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

The Band-in-a-Box® 2023 DAW Plugin Version 5.0 is Here!

There are over 40 enhancements to the Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows DAW Plugin Version 5.0, including Drum Stems (separate tracks from the different microphones used during the actual recording sessions), 4 color schemes to choose from, enhanced chord settings, improved undo/redo operation, "Rebuild StylePicker" notification whenever rebuild is required, EZ RealTracks/RealDrums Folder Locations dialog and much more!

The DAW Plugin Version 5.0 is included with all Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows orders - and our 2023 upgrades are ON SALE until December 31st! Until then, save up to 50% - upgrade for as little as $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Videos - One-Stop Shopping!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows, we're creating videos summarizing the new features, explaining new features in detail, and showcasing the new Add-ons!

Whether it's a summary of the new features, demonstrations of the 222 new RealTracks, information on the 2023 49-PAK, demonstrations of our new XPro Styles PAK 4 and Xtra Styles PAKs 14 & 15, or detailed tutorials for other Band-in-a-Box® 2023 features, we have you covered!

Reference this forum post for One-Stop Shopping of our Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Videos - we will be updating this post as more videos are added!

RealBand 2023 is Here!

Just released - RealBand 2023!

There are over 30 new features to RealBand 2023, including RealChart generation for RealDrums, MIDI Vocoder and Fix Tuning modes for Audio Harmonies, MicroChords (up to 4 chords per beat), RealDrum Stems support, Playable RealTracks to customize the RealTracks performances by adding your own notes, Reverse Audio Effects, easy Tab key navigation on the Chords Window, smoother mouse wheel operation on the Tracks Window, the EZ RealTracks/RealDrums folder locations dialog, and much more!

RealBand 2023 is included with all Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows orders - and our 2023 upgrades are ON SALE until December 31st! Until then, save up to 50% - upgrade for as little as $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows is here - and it's on SALE!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows is here, and it includes over 70 new features and an amazing collection of new content, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2023 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2023 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows.

Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!

You don't need to go out and buy a Jukebox - if you're using Band-in-a-Box®, you already have one!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® SGU files within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening pleasure!

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box®, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual, here. Mac too!

Forum Stats
36783 Members
64 Forums
76242 Topics
674087 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
acush, robg, Linus, DWTrue, gypsyJoe2

36783 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 235
MusicStudent 192