Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
And the thing about help files guys is this. There are things to ask that need to be asked of a person, not a text file. Example?

Writing a song that I want a B3 solo at measure 110 that will last 16 bars. I went to "soloist". Then "custom". Start solo at 110. Solo is to run 16 bars. Do not allow one extra bar. Overwrite previous solo. On the right side, select the instrument (and I don't know why we do that and then select again on the left side off the "Real Tracks" menu) and hit "generate solo now." Sometimes it queues up 2 bars before the solo and plays from there. Other times it goes to the head and starts at bar 1. That is inconsistent. Okay, so if it goes to the head, I stop the playback. Hit ctl+F to select the start point for playback. Set it at 108, 2 bar running start before the solo I just designated to start at 110.

And here we go.

No matter WHAT B3 patch I select from the Real Tracks menu on the left side of the screen, it WILL NOT create a solo. It puts B3 there, but it is just chord pads. I want to hear Dan Federici or Booker T play solo notes, not chord pads. I tried 20 different B3 options, telling it to overwrite every time, and never got a solo. All I got over and over, 20 times, was B3 playing chord pads.

So looking at the list of Real Tracks, all those B3 choices have "rhythm" in the description. Does that mean it is SUPPOSED to just be chord pads because the patch is called "rhythm"? If that is the case, logic says that there should then also be some patches that are named with "lead" or "solo" in them.

And that is NOT the kind of thing that I can find in the help files. It tells me HOW to select those patches, not what the cryptic names of them mean, what the name describes.

Thus my earlier request for "simple mode". No matter how much I love music, I simply don't have hours in my days to sit there and go through thousands of Real Tracks to try and decide what the cryptic names mean. To play around some with that solo section, I then started picking guitar parts. I tried several "Brent Mason" parts, maybe 8. All of them were SO DRAMATICALLY DIFFERENT from each other (and none of them worked in this song) and nothing in the name of the selection gave any indication of what I could expect.

Simple mode.

"Click here to generate B3 solo."
"Click here to generate slide guitar solo."
"Click here to generate pedal guitar solo."
"Click here to generate distorted guitar solo."
"Click here to generate folk guitar solo."

Rather than "Brent Mason low country rhythm strumming blues southern rock." (I made that up. Don't look for it.) Unless everybody has the same idea of what "low country strumming blues southern rock" means, I don't know what that is supposed to be, and by the time I go through thousands of these and test every one, the song is gone.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Just checked the style picker and there are no B3 soloists. The soloist instruments are marked soloist. All the organ patches are marked rhythm. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Thank you Ray. See, when I see that word rhythm in a style, I see it as meaning either "This is a rhythm instrument" or "This is the type of rhythm pattern this style will play best with."

The top section of the style picker throws me. The different 1/8th and 1/16th choices are obviously there for a reason, but you have to pick one or the other. I may want neither...

I know nothing is ever going to be everything to everybody. There are just some things I see as less than the most effective way to do things. Less can be more. Giving me 100 solos to pick from and 97 of them are really bad.... I'd rather have only 10 good ones.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Do you have Icons only checked in opt/pref/display ? Try Icons and text first box on top. It's always hard in the beginning on any software . When I first started in 2004 I had never used the interweb but would have if I had known about these forums . I loved using computers so much for recording it never crossed my mind to even check it out . I started out on cool edit ver 1.2 in 1999 and if I ever get over my fear of rejection I'll upload my first song ever comp'ed (it blew chunks).

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
V
Apprentice
Apprentice
V
Quote:

I'm new to this forum, and only a few months into BiaB, but this seems like a mostly friendly group, so I'll throw this out. I am benefiting immensely from BiaB's ability to comp my practices and to add color to songs where I can't do it myself. The internal algorithms are advanced and creative, and the program's engine is to be commended. HOWEVER.....BiaB appears to be Ford Focus frame on a Ferrari engine. (Sorry for being blunt, but that's exactly the metaphor that comes to mind when I load the program. I'm not trying to offend.)

Leaving aside the time warp to the early 90s that the UX offers, there are just too many usability quirks and inconsistencies with mainstream user interface standards. Example: everytime I want to save a file, I have to scan the (24!) options under the File menu to find Save. (Comes after Karaoke options - really?) Cutting and pasting usually leads to unanticipated results. The list could go on and on. And yes, I know there are shortcuts and key equivalents for all of these to be learned, but as a 21st century software user, I have an expectation that the program should be 85% usable out of the box w/o instructions. BiaB gets about a 40% score based on my exerience.

While I'm satisfied with what the program accomplishes, I'm dissastified with the amount of work I have to do. I can't in all good conscience recccomend BiaB to a prospective buyer either. It's simply too hard to use. Frankly, I use the program b/c it's effective, but I heave a sigh of resignation when I click the icon (and hold my breath that it doesn't crash while generating Realtracks.)

At some point, PG will have to bite the bullet and do a complete remake of the look and feel, and I vote sooner rather than later. Otherwise, fans will leave and new customers will be hard to acquire. Believe me, I know how hard this is - I've been in the technology industry for some time. Long-term loyal users will rightly howl that they need to change habits, customer support costs will skyrocket for a while, developers will be diverted from new features to usabilty designing, etc. Been there. But I also know it has to be done.

FWIW, here at a minimum is what I would change, and I invite others to chime in:

-Contextual icons: over 1/3 of my screen space is occupied by buttons, most of which I rarely use. I just counted 76 button icons, not including the instrument and playback options. BiaB should know what I'm doing and present me with only options that are relevant to the task at hand. (Yes, the icons can be hidden, but that's not the point; it's about enhancing workflow at each step of the process). One possibility is the use of tabs - this has become common in many programs, and almost all browsers, so there will be a less steep learning curve.

-The instrument selection radio icons continue to baffle: I can click Strings and yet add a MIDI generated percussion instrument, or a Banjo realtrack, and the option still says "Strings." This is an area where a more traditional DAW approach may be in order, with tracks lanes, and more easily customizable track names.

-Use wizards instead of menu dialogs. The buttons on most dialog boxes are dense, and often lack logical flow. Example, the notation dialog box. Formatting options are presented alongside transposing options, sandwiched in between guitar chord options. Takes a lot of reorienting myself with every dialog box that is open. This is one area where consitency is paramount. Give me tabs with my options, and let me find only what I need, and make the tabs the same across every dialog box.

-There must be a reason why BiaB doesn't write to the Windows registry, but I don't know what it is. This makes BiaB not play well with my system and I suspect is the reason for a lot of instability and frequent crashes. I'd suggest reevaluting this policy.

-General lack of graphic enhancement. In this era, people expect the graphics to be engaging, intuitive, exciting and useful. I can't say this about BiaB's UX presentation layer.

Don't get me wrong, I admire the program and would like to see it stay around. However, I fear that over time it will fade into the night along with its loyal long term users. A newer generation of users will be put off by an archaic interface, and find something else. I think that would be a shame. That is the intent of this posting and I hope it is taken in that light.

yeah there is a definite ye olde ART DECO look about BIAB

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: masondr
...HOWEVER.....BiaB appears to be Ford Focus frame on a Ferrari engine. (Sorry for being blunt, but that's exactly the metaphor that comes to mind when I load the program. I'm not trying to offend.)

Leaving aside the time warp to the early 90s that the UX offers,..

Don't get me wrong, I admire the program and would like to see it stay around. However, I fear that over time it will fade into the night along with its loyal long term users. A newer generation of users will be put off by an archaic interface, and find something else. I think that would be a shame. That is the intent of this posting and I hope it is taken in that light.

131540 views !!
That was the one and only post made by the user.
Lots of changes have happened since sure.
It's the same thing I found and basically that's why I stick around nagging all the time with suggestion and ideas, because of the end result of Biab, but as stated getting there is the issue.
What else can you do but 'just keep nagging' smile

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts735,005
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186