Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
OP Offline
Hello guys!

Recently I've been trying to use the audio chord wizard to create some drums tracks (and others things) for my band (since we don't have a drummer yet).

So, while trying to use this function (after watching the official tutorial and some other tutorials in youtube) I'm getting some problems when trying to get the right tempo/bars of an imported mp3 audio song.

For example, using the song Go with the Flow by Queens of the Stone Age that has a tempo around 159-160bpm, I was able to get the right bpm count while trying to manually insert the bars in the middle of the song and the using the auto-marking button (as in screenshot 1), but then the audio track is removed (the whole audio track before the bar I set as the first one) but the bars and tempos are set properly for the rest of the song (screenshot 2).

So, to avoid this I'm doing what I'm supposed to do that is select the first manual bar at the beginning of the audio track and then in the next bar another one, so BIAB auto would detect all the others ones as the previous example, but here is where I'm getting another problem. After selecting the first two bars the audio track is moved a couple of second ahead and the bpm counting is messed up showing me much highers bpm (screenshot 3, instead of showing me ~160bpm it goes up to 203.5bpm so then the whole song is set up to 203bpm)

I don't know what to do now, as I told you before I need this to create some drums track and as far as I know this function should be working as selecting the first and the second bar and the let the program auto measure all the other bars, but as mentioned before if I do this the whole bpm count is not right.

Can anyone one provide some details on how to use it property or what I'm doing wrong???

Thank you guys

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
screenshot 1.png (73.76 KB, 167 downloads)
2.png (36.52 KB, 166 downloads)
3.png (119.97 KB, 166 downloads)

Band-in-a-Box UltraPAK 2021
Build:
Windows 11, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12 core, @3,80GHz), 32 GB RAM DDR4.
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Welcome to the forum.

Setting Bar 1 is required by the ACW to correctly align when to begin counting measures. It compensates for the leading recorded time of the audio file that's been inserted onto a track in a BIAB project. In a 4/4 song, it's the very first 1 of 1-2-3-4 and in a 3/4 song, it's the very first 1 of counting 1-2-3- 1-2-3- of the song.

The ACW isn't difficult but it's not easy and requires practice to get even moderately precise with it.

Here are some tips and screen shots I made with the first minute of "Go With The Flow" by Queens of the Stone Age.

* Set up BIAB before importing the song or opening the ACW: (First Screenshot)

Select a style from the StylePicker for the song. My version of BIAB had 139 suggestions.
Change the number of Chorus's to 1 from the default of 3
Disable the Style. (ignore the drums if they default to midi - it's irrelevant at the moment)
Set the end bar around 100 measures.
Complete the song title.
Save the BIAB project.

* Import the audio file before opening the ACW:
Doing this allows you to adjust the imported audio file and have a more precise alignment between the audio file and the BIAB bar settings.
Label the Audio Track with the imported audio to analyze.
* Open the Audio Editor and select the Audio Track. (The Audio Editor defaults to the Melody Track)
This displays the imported audio file and that the audio and BIAB bars are not likely closely synced.
* Set the curser to the first beat at the beginning of the song. Rt click with mouse and select 'Set this point as bar 1 of the song'
* Select the Audio Chord Wizard Button to open the ACW.
* Select the Snap Button to activate Snap to Bar to check the first beat is precisely set to bar 1.
* Add a Bar Line (L) at Bar 1
* Deactivate Snap.
* Play the song from the beginning and pressing the -L- key at each beat for 4-5 measures and stop playback.
* Playback the song from the beginning and adjust the bars that have been set for accuracy by listening and also comparing to the Waveform peaks.
* With the opening bars corrected, select the Auto Marking Button and continue playback and correcting the auto marked bars for accuracy for the remainder of the song.

In my example, "Go With The Flow" by Queens of the Stone Age had a BPM of 159.15 average.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot.jpg (315.13 KB, 156 downloads)
2-Initial imported audio.jpg (415.94 KB, 156 downloads)
Initial imported audio file before aligning bars with BIAB
3-imported audio with Bar 1 correctly set.jpg (421.87 KB, 158 downloads)
Imported audio file correctly aligned with Bar 1 of BIAB.
4-ACW with Bars auto detected.jpg (512.72 KB, 6 downloads)
Audio with ACW detected bars.
Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 11/06/21 05:56 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Charlie.

i gotta say , your method is brilliant stuff.
please please please could you contact pg to make your method a STICKY...cos lots of new users i'm sure would
find your method usefull.

i'm not exactly a dullard haveing used biab now to gen
bed traks for 90 plus original songs. but when it comes
to the acw i often flounder.
might i also suggest you do a vid or two on you tube.

i love the way you described your method.

well well done charlie...serious kudos mate.
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Beginners Forum
OP Offline
Charlie that was the most precise information that I could ask for! Any tutorial covers what you just explained.

Thank you so much for the information, and yes I agree that this should be posted as a permanent tutorial somewhere in the forum.

Build:
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Charlie.

i gotta say , your method is brilliant stuff.
please please please could you contact pg to make your method a STICKY...cos lots of new users i'm sure would
find your method usefull.

i'm not exactly a dullard haveing used biab now to gen
bed traks for 90 plus original songs. but when it comes
to the acw i often flounder.
might i also suggest you do a vid or two on you tube.

i love the way you described your method.

well well done charlie...serious kudos mate.
om

Originally Posted By: an_thunder
Charlie that was the most precise information that I could ask for! Any tutorial covers what you just explained.

Thank you so much for the information, and yes I agree that this should be posted as a permanent tutorial somewhere in the forum.

Thanks for the more than kind remarks fellows. I truly appreciate them. This method works ok most of the time because the more information provided to the ACW, the better it can do it's job. It was a huge improvement once I learned to set up the main page and input as many settings as possible before turning on the ACW.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Great job Charlie. What exactly is the key to "setting up" BIAB?

Is it picking a style? Setting key? Setting tempo? Unfolding the chord sheet? Or other things? Or all of the above?

I have had little success with ACW, but certainly would like to improve.

Thanks Mike

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
Windows 10 pro 1709 16299.125
Intel core i7 6700k CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.01 GHz
16 gig memory
BIAB UltraPak version is 2023 (Latest)
Cubase pro 9
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: mbsmike
Great job Charlie. What exactly is the key to "setting up" BIAB?

Is it picking a style? Setting key? Setting tempo? Unfolding the chord sheet? Or other things? Or all of the above?

I have had little success with ACW, but certainly would like to improve.

Thanks Mike

In my opinion, the key is two fold. Practice and giving yourself and the ACW as much information before applying the ACW as possible. For me, setting up BIAB to be as close to the tempo, hearing a style at least similar sounding to the song being analyzed and seeing the audio WAV file close to being in sync with the bars was very helpful to getting successful ACW results.

A practice routine that works for me is to select songs from the Users Showcase made by forum users. The ACW can usually read these songs accurately and artist most times gives the necessary information such as the Style used, BPM, time signature and the songs aren't burdened with confusing arrangements and over-produced.

Beginners Forum
OP Offline
Charlie!! Great tutorial as I mentioned before now that I've been trying your trick, I'd like to add some others things that I just learned too.

1) If you know before hand the tempo of your song (or at least a close idea of it), you can set it up in your first step (while fixing the number of choruses and the "end" bar).

2)Then while importing you can use the import menu in the file tab on the top (you can also select here which track do you want to use to host your audio track). After the file is loaded, you can go to the "Audio edit" menu, but if you already selected Audio Chord Wizard before you won't see the 'Set this point as bar 1 of the song' button. So to fix this without starting everything again, you can easily press the button that says "Marker Mode" and select "None" and the audio track option will be available again. (1st image)

3) If you already know the tempo as mentioned before, and following your advice of selecting the start of the song in the audio edit menu, BIAB will be already showing you the right bars (2nd image), so just pressing "Add bar lines based on tempo" (3rd image) will do the magic and all your bars will be synced up!!!! (4th image). Obviously, if you are not completely satisfied with the auto marking of your song you can still fix them manually. later.

I hope this also helps some others like me that were so confused about this whole thing!

thank you again bro!

5.png (168.05 KB, 116 downloads)
6.jpg (196.82 KB, 114 downloads)
7.png (67.98 KB, 114 downloads)
8.png (89.72 KB, 114 downloads)
Last edited by an_thunder; 11/06/21 10:37 PM.

Build:
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
That's the tools I use too. Also check out the ACW Custom settings to set the key and chord progression.

Charlie

ACW Custom Settings.jpg (58.2 KB, 105 downloads)
ACW custom settings window
ACW Custom Wheel.jpg (36.4 KB, 104 downloads)
ACW custom settings wheel location in the Audio Editor
Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 11/07/21 05:52 AM.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
This has been quite interesting, seeing various tricks and tweaks that one can do with ACW, but one thing has puzzled me right from the start.

The OP was about building a drum track.
Why use ACW to build a drum track?

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
To get the Tempo to match a pre-existing MP3(?)
That's how I read it. I've done the same thing before, actually I've done for a produced CD. The drummer didn't want his name on the credits for a given song, so I brought it into RB and using the ACW was easily able to line it up and generate a RealDrum track for that song.

/my usual response for ACW; I use RB for this, as it not only seems more intuitive, it can also handle odd times and generate sections as well as multitracks .. so it's more better for me

I generated two takes of RealDrums on said song and we were able to cut/paste a final track from those that *very* closely resembled the original drummer's tracks
win/win
drummer was happy (and impressed) and so were the rest of us

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: rharv
To get the Tempo to match a pre-existing MP3(?)

Well, yes, that would certainly make sense, but he/she says to make drum tracks as they don't have a drummer. And gives the tempo as 159/160. I guess it may be that they're rehearsing independently and use the .mp3 in the background, but want the drums stronger.

I just wondered if using ACW had somehow become self-fulfilling. Why not just put 160 in the tempo box and find some drum tracks?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe they had started recording other tracks along with the MP3 already ..

I wasn't questioning 'why' the OP wanted to do this, just trying to suggest a possible 'how' smile

In the example below I pretty much needed to do the same thing
All the other tracks were already done and part of a pre-existing project, but suddenly they needed new drums.
Selecting a 159/160 tempo and just generating drums would never have worked, it needed to line up pretty exact to the expected beat (and it waivers a bit) plus have fills where expected/desired
ACW to the rescue!
To me this 'generated' drum track has just as much feel as any other drum track on this particular CD
I would never have been able to do this without the ACW and RB editing

https://flythewreckage.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/09-Track-9.mp3

/hey the drums worked

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
rharv,

Yes, that worked well.

The OP does also say "(and other things)", which may well indicate that the main reason for using ACW was not the drums.

Beginners Forum
OP Offline
Hey! Hello again guys! Sorry I've been busy these days so I can't check this forum very often.

But yeah the main reason for using the ACW instead of just setting the tempo and go, its because as these tracks are going to be used "instead" of a drummer for now, it's much easier to use the ACW tools to sync the tempos (and adjust if needed) with the mp3.

The other option as Gordon says is select the style and the set tempo and create the drum track, which is also fine, but it doesn't allow you to fine tuning some micro changes in the tempo in the original track as rharv said. In my personal opinion the drums created with the perfect tempo are perfectly fine but sometimes they feel to robotic as they are so perfect with the timing, something that you can adjust while using ACW. Is may sound kinda crazy to chose something that is deliberately "wrong" but it also true that those micro adjustments can also modify tho whole feeling of the drums (if you are just using it for the drums). Give it a try and check how it differs from the automated set tempo, for example in the same song that we were talking about since at the end there is some changes in the tempo that the perfect timing cannot detect.

Obviously, the main reason to use ACW is to analyze chords to create, for example, backing tracks for your songs, but it can also helps with these kind of issues.

And finally, "the other things" refers that probably this will also helps us creating solos or getting ideas for other instruments, which can also benefit from a perfect synced track laugh

thank you for all your info guys! You're great!

Last edited by an_thunder; 11/08/21 08:50 PM.

Build:
Beginners Forum
OP Offline
I never tried the Realband before!!! Probably I'll check it out too, since it looks like is also a great option for what we are trying to do right now!

Build:
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: an_thunder
It may sound kinda crazy to chose something that is deliberately "wrong"...

Sometimes "wrong" is just a perception.
It's the little excursions from "perfect" that make real music real.

Beginners Forum
OP Offline
yeah, you're right! That why I kinda avoid the perfect tempos hahahaha!! Thank you for your point of view too!

Build:
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,611
Posts735,067
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185