Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
In Praise of Counterpoint_The Grumpy Old Man Blog

Throughout the years, I have seen many posts and debates on what is still considered “musical” in today’s world of one chord songs and two note melodies.

You get the usual stuff—Ah, that’s what the geezers have always said. They said it in the 50s, etc., etc.

The other day I found a Guitar Pro file for what I think is the greatest TV theme song all time, the theme to the Rockford Files. Remember that? smile

Well, simultaneously I have been studying a lot of Bach and trying to memorize Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring. The counterpoint in that song amazes me. Chords that keep repeating with slight variations in the harmony/counterpoint. It gives me goosebumps. Paul McCartney uses a lot of Bach tricks in Blackbird, which he says he based on the Bouree in E Minor.

Anyway, I was studying the Rockford files song score, and I went “Dang, they are using a lot of Bach tricks as well!!”

Very similar chord movement as you would find in Jesu.

So that’s why it’s catchy! Like Blackbird. Ear candy.

Then it struck me: so that is why I find so many (if not most) of pop song BORING. It is because there is no COUNTERPOINT. And for me, no counterpoint essentially means NO MUSIC.

You can argue about the merits of loops and one chord songs all day, but it will not change me. If I do not hear counterpoint, I usually think it sucks. Because I am a grumpy old man.
And that is my Grumpy Old Man blog for the day!!!

Am I alone???

What say you songwriters???

This should take you back. An ancient relic, yes, but still the catchiest jingle ever, IMHO. I think it is cool the guitarist Dan Ferguson thanked the viewers here.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Grumpy Old Man #2, I'm #1 (at least according to my wife), you are not alone.

However I like a lot of songs without counterpoint. Jazz has some great chord progressions and improvisation that I like. Smooth jazz, ambient, and light classical can put me in a mellow mood, another like.

For me there are only two types of songs, ones that I like and ones that I don't like, regardless of the musician or the band. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Counterpoint, I like Jim Rockford's car.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Songwriting
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
DS;
I enjoy reading your thoughtful posts.
I know that there are songs I am quickly enamored of and others that fail to hold interest and also songs that I can't stop hearing soon enough.
I am a fledgling musician and when I try to identify why I like it, it's often the rhythm, the lyric and the melody.

Without more music theory chops I cannot be sure whether it is Counterpoint(CP).
Are you able to offer some additional examples with CP? and without CP?
Now I am curious to know about some of my alltime fav songs and CP
>>> Off I go, spiralling through the web for CP

This topic, counterpoint, might be the connection that links it together for me to explain why I like some songs so much. I will add it to my todo list for research. Any suggested reading reference is appreciated.

The other way I find that I learn to really respect a song is when I study it and work with it to be able to play it on guitar. Example Neon Moon Brooks&Dunn. When it was a hit I didn't listen to it, I was immature and it was a line dance song. I don't line dance.
Now I really enjoy the song, the imagery and the movement in the song even in it's simplest form.

{watching this thread}
RrR

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Rockford was the one who was forever getting beat up.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Simple Definition of Counterpoint. Great question!

Well, I will try to make it simple and show a simple example below. First a few words.

Counterpoint is usually described as the “internal rhyme” in music, beat by beat, in every measure, on different lines to speak.

Those lines are easy to follow in classical guitar. For example, in playing a Bach piece on classical guitar you will often see a treble melody (top note) and bass melody (lower note), and the middle melody or drone.

These three melodies are interdependent. Without the other two, you would not have the same “chemical” effect in the brain as you are listening to it. More on that “chemical effect” in a second. But for the moment, just understand that when two or three notes are played on top of one another as threaded melodies, they are “counterpoint.” Think of it as a “cross stitch.”

In a symphonic piece, the counterpoint gets much more complicated.

Now, what counterpoint DOES is this: it creates the all-important element of surprise. It is what makes you smile, or gasp, or go “Oh gosh, I wasn’t expecting THAT.” Bach was a master of this. Below is a short section from Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring, showing the counterpoint and the first surprise note. (You will see many such surprise notes in Blackbird by Paul McCartney and any number of other clever songs.)

Forgive the childish markup in paint, but look at this setup in Jesu. It is remarkable. It is in G, and goes along for a few bars. Then we hit an Em7. Then right away you get the Major 7th note of the G scale over top of an Em7. Then you get an A note thrown into a G chord, then you get a C chord with an A in it (not a full blown A Minor yet, just a hint of an A Minor) and THEN the C natural moves to C# under a B in the key of G. SURPRISE!

It is this moment that makes you smile or say How Bach! You also get a chemical reaction of elation and surprise, and may even catch your breath and go Ahhh!! when you hear it, because you are surprised, or delighted.

Such is the magic of counterpoint, or the magical use of notes. If you just bang the same note over and over and over you are simply drilling a hole in someone’s skull with a blunt bit.

In pop, numerous prog rock groups have been masters of counterpoint. ELO, YES and Rush come to mind, along with many others. McCartney is a counterpoint genius. On the acoustic guitar, James Taylor is a master of counterpoint in his chord constructions which are all very rich and multi-layered. That is why no one else sounds like him. He is almost always playing weird chords. And that is why he is so great.

In Southern Rock, The Allman Brothers were masters of counterpoint. You had Gregg Allman on the keyboard, and Duane Allman and Dickey Betts playing dual solos with different notes in them. Counterpoint. That is why no one sounds like them, though a few bands tried to copy them, with limited success.

Oh, well, just a brief course on counterpoint.

All of which is to say is someone is playing A D A D A D A D and throwing a pentatontic scale on top of it you are sure to find me asleep.

smile

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Jesu.jpg (118 KB, 201 downloads)
Songwriting
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J
>What is counterpoint?

I had the same question and found these videos helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O6lc_ym12U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdRLQlekbd8

Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Counterpoint is - as you said - two or more melodic simultaneous melodic lines that are independent.

Independent means not similar. This includes being rhythmically different, moving in different directions, and even forming different sets of intervals between the melodies. The more independent the melodies are, the more counterpoint-like they are.

Surprise, harmonic interest, melodic inventiveness... these are all hallmarks of good music, but all of these can be created without the use of counterpoint.

It's fairly easy to write boring counterpoint. Just blindly follow the rules.

That's because the aren't recipes for writing music. They're "rules of thumb", in the sense that they warn you of things you should generally avoid, because doing some things makes the music difficult to sing or play, or melodic lines that aren't independent.

These "rules" aren't really complex, either. Once you understand them, they'll seem like common sense.

For example, there's the classic prohibition to avoid parallel octaves and fifths. It's not because it sounds bad - in fact, it often sounds great. The problem is that voices moving in the same direction (parallel movement) and on strong consonances (octaves and fifths) lose their independence, and no longer sound like counterpoint.

Compelling musical ideas are interesting, and so tend to break rules. That's because the value of doing something musically interesting outweighs the value of doing something musically safe.

Music that never breaks rules tends to be bland and boring. Music that breaks too many rules is difficult to follow and understand.

Counterpoint isn't good or bad in an of itself. But done artfully, it can create some of the best effects in music, where two or more different melodic lines weave together to create harmonies, rhythms, and counterlines that clash and resolve.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Hi David,

Thanks for posting this! Great contribution!

I would add one thing, and it is not a quibble.

I would say that in counterpoint, the lines are both independent and interdependent at the same time.

Interdependent in the sense that at each point in the measure what you sense chemically in your brain is related to the EXPECTATIONS that were built up in the intersecting lines to this point.

It is the jarring of these expectations that creates the element of surprise I am talking about.

Such as in the Jesu piece: you may have heard a B over a D at one point a few beats back (let's say) and you are used to that, but now when you hear a B over a C# you have an element of surprise that cannot be achieved without counterpoint, or in a standard song progression.

Like, if you just play a G, C and D over and over, with whatever inversions, there is nothing to be surprised by, for me, especially if you have a two note melody.

Some would say you could set off a cannon in the middle of your song and that would be surprising and I guess it would, but that is not the kind of surprises that delight me in a piece of music. I am almost always delighted by surprises in counterpoint, not cheap carnival tricks and loops or whatever.

Does that make sense??

smile

Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
I would add one thing, and it is not a quibble.

I agree. laugh

I like to focus on clarity more than surprise. We can only deal with so much information at a time. Effective counterpoint means that we have to hear two different lines at the same time, as well as the interaction between the two.

So you'll typically do things like make one part complex where the other is simple, so you only have to focus on one line at a time. Because hearing more than one thing at a time requires work, and work is hard. Clear writing keeps you focused on what one melody is doing, while remaining aware of how the others are contributing. It's like listening to a jazz solo being traded back and forth - the other players step into the background and let one player shine, but keep playing their supporting parts.

For me, the beauty of counterpoint is that the independent lines become intertwined and interdependent. They can create and resolve tensions which weren't there in the single melody line; they create harmony; they rhythmically collide and contrast.

As you point out in the Jesu piece, without the other part to complete the harmony, you won't hear the dissonance. You need all the parts for the whole to make sense.

I'll also agree that the most important part of surprise is expectation, because surprise is thwarting expectations.

And I'll agree that good music is able to use the element of surprise to create interest and beauty.

However, I'll still disagree that counterpoint depends on surprise. I can write terribly boring counterpoint with nary a expectation unfulfilled. It's still counterpoint, even if it causes you to fall stone asleep.

But it won't be good music. wink

-- David Cuny

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: dcuny
For example, there's the classic prohibition to avoid parallel octaves and fifths. It's not because it sounds bad - in fact, it often sounds great. The problem is that voices moving in the same direction (parallel movement) and on strong consonances (octaves and fifths) lose their independence, and no longer sound like counterpoint.

I was always baffled, hearing that "rule" over the years, since lines played in parallel intervals like these sound so awesome. To my mind it was the ultimate example of an absurd, arbitrary rule that existed to be broken by Beethoven and dopesmoking hipsters.

Then a composer explained to me that the prohibition isn't on parallel movement of entire lines, it's about parallel movement for a single step. In other words, if at any point you have two lines with notes pitched a fifth apart, the immediately following notes must not also be a fifth apart.

Why not? Because, it was explained to me, if you're hearing two melodies in counterpoint, it's OK if they pass through different harmonic relationships, including octaves, fifths etc., as long as they keep going. But if they hit on a fifth and then the next interval is also a fifth, the effect is going to be that of two lines collapsing into one harmonized line. (If you think about the limiting case of unison, it's really easy to imagine how that would sound like a "hole" in the players that opens up and then closes again.)

I hope I'm stating this as clearly as this guy did, it clarified decades of confusion on my part.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 11/18/21 04:38 AM.
Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
But if they hit on a fifth and then the next interval is also a fifth, the effect is going to be that of two lines collapsing into one harmonized line.

Exactly! The same applies to parallel octaves.

There's a good page here that has lots of pictures and - more importantly - audio examples: https://www.schoolofcomposition.com/whats-wrong-with-parallel-fifths/

For a non-counterpoint example of the same phenomena, consider writing for 4 horns in a jazz setting. If you've got a chord progression like:

C | Am7 | F | G7 | C

You've got a mixture of 3-note chords (C, F) and 4-note chords (Am7, G7). If you double one of the notes on the 3-note chord so there are enough notes to give the 4 horns, you risk getting the same sort of "collapse" when the notes in octaves blend together.

To avoid this, you'll typically write all the chords out as 4-note chords, so the harmony maintains the same 4-note texture throughout:

C6 | Am7 | Fmaj7 | G7 | Cmaj7

The interval of the 6th in the C chord is neutral, so it doesn't change the harmonic function of the chord. The sound of 6th chords is a bit dated, but that's a different story. wink

-- David Cuny

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
For a non-counterpoint example of the same phenomena, consider writing for 4 horns in a jazz setting. If you've got a chord progression like:

C | Am7 | F | G7 | C

You've got a mixture of 3-note chords (C, F) and 4-note chords (Am7, G7). If you double one of the notes on the 3-note chord so there are enough notes to give the 4 horns, you risk getting the same sort of "collapse" when the notes in octaves blend together.

To avoid this, you'll typically write all the chords out as 4-note chords, so the harmony maintains the same 4-note texture throughout:

David,

I've lately (since acquiring BIAB, in fact) been wondering about the whole "jazz chords" thing, as in, why should it be part of a musical style to add "extra" notes like this? What is the point of turning every CMaj into a C6 or worse? Why complicate things for the sake of complication? Is part of it just to show off on stage, and look smart on paper?

Now I'm wondering if what you just presented might be part of the answer.

Something about the effect of chordal density on the perception of melody?

Now I'm going to be thinking about this all day. I should start with checking out that URL, thanks!

Mark

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 11/19/21 04:00 AM.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert

C | Am7 | F | G7 | C

David,

I've lately (since acquiring BIAB, in fact) been wondering about the whole "jazz chords" thing, as in, why should it be part of a musical style to add "extra" notes like this? What is the point of turning every CMaj into a C6 or worse? Why complicate things for the sake of complication? Is part of it just to show off on stage, and look smart on paper?

Now I'm wondering if what you just presented might be part of the answer.

Something about the effect of chordal density on the perception of melody?

Now I'm going to be thinking about this all day. I should start with checking out that URL, thanks!

Mark

It's certainly a part of the answer. When improvising, it's a means to guide the other musicians about the structure of the sound and the direction it'll take, so that the soloist has a fairly clear route over those chords. If the backing musicians go too far "off piste" they can potentially clash badly with the soloist. With something like a big-band, it's pretty much essential to avoid a mad cacophony.

But it's also often a means to get a particular sound ... 6/9 chords for example, or m11.

Sometimes, for sure, it's showing off, though I think most showing off, when it happens, is done else-wise in the music.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Very cool stuff guys.

I am learning a lot and glad I started this.

Keep it up!

smile

BTW, I hear boatloads of counterpoint in most jazz, just not counterpoint the way it is classically defined, but a different sort.

Too long for an explanation now. Maybe later.

smile

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

BTW, I hear boatloads of counterpoint in most jazz, just not counterpoint the way it is classically defined, but a different sort.

A core part of jazz is call and response, where two or more musicians have a sort of conversation in music. One plays a phrase, another replies to it, maybe identical, maybe altered a little, maybe inverted, maybe a different melody but an identical rhythm. That perhaps is pretty much the essence of counterpoint.

Anyone not directly involved in the direct conversation will be playing harmonies in some form, quite likely purely from the defined chords, which is one reason why the chords are often relatively complex. And those harmonies will also have a counterpoint-ish flavour to them.

New Orleans style highlights that well.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
A core part of jazz is call and response, where two or more musicians have a sort of conversation in music. One plays a phrase, another replies to it, maybe identical, maybe altered a little, maybe inverted, maybe a different melody but an identical rhythm. That perhaps is pretty much the essence of counterpoint.

But this effectively defines counterpoint as varying a theme. If you reduce the band to one and solo over a repeated passage, is that "counterpoint"?

Songwriting
Expert
Expert

But this effectively defines counterpoint as varying a theme. If you reduce the band to one and solo over a repeated passage, is that "counterpoint"?

I did say "two or more musicians ... sort of conversation". If it's a strict case of each purely takes their turn, then it's not counterpoint; and likewise if a a single monophonic instrument player doing a solo over just a base harmony, then it's not counterpoint.

But when musicians are playing different melodies or variations of a melody with/against each other, then typically it's counterpoint.

THis is a long video aimed a schools, but it opens with a good example of those interactions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw33n2Mpqfk

Songwriting
Expert
Expert

I did say "two or more musicians ...

I guess I now have to add that one musician on a chording instrument like piano can and often do, play a counterpoint with/against his/herself, e.g., left hand against right-hand.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
if it's a single monophonic instrument player doing a solo over just a base harmony, then it's not counterpoint

Sure, but my point in asking that rhetorical question is to ask, well, if not, why not? And my point in asking THAT is, I don't think circling solos counts as counterpoint, either. Fugal, maybe, but not contrapuntal. To my mind, you need the element of simultaneity.

To be clear that I'm not saying anything about jazz in particular – I would say if you took a totally contrapuntal Baroque quartet and had the four players play each measure in turn, not in parallel, I wouldn't call that counterpoint, either, except in an obvious but very extended sense.

But if you DO allow that, I see not reason why not to extend the concept even further to a single serial soloist.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191