Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi,

I have a Nissan Titan truck. Sometimes I sing driving down the road. It certainly has a different sound to me than in my office for example.

I was considering the idea of using it as an isolation booth. Of course, one would have to sit while singing. It is a good bit of work to give it a try.

What do you think of the idea?

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 11/19/21 03:32 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Try it. If it works, it's a good idea. If it doesn't, you learned what not to do.

I remember reading that before these wonderful FX toys we have now, they hung a microphone in a bathroom door, and the sax player played into the open door and the echo/reverb was just right for the song they were doing.

I wish I remembered the sax player and the song, but I read that when I was a kid, and the names are hiding in my brain somewhere.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Seems like it would be too hard surfaced. I have a big "C-Shaped" contraption I made for vocals that had soft foam glues to it (I still have that) and back in an older day I also took a bifold door and stapled a soft quilt to it that would go behind the singer. Inside that Frankensteinded vocal booth it was completely dead.

To look at it from overhead it would look like this

C->

where the hyphen is the singer facing the C. Whatever reverb I wanted I then added in the box.

I had a big piece of some kind of flexible stuff that I glued onto the kitchen wall behind the stove. I built a wooden "cage" from 1x2s, screwed that plastic stuff onto the frame to make an arc, glued on 24x24' packing foam from laptop boxes with spray adhesive and made a wider version of what the music stores charge $100 for. Works well and I made it from stuff I had at home.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Bob,

I don't have any choice about the vocal recording issue. The computers make too much fan noise and the AC makes noise here in my "studio" if you can call it a studio...lol

I can use a small bathroom close by for a vocal booth. I can use the garage downstairs, which I have never tried for vocals. I have used it to record a guitar amp which works pretty well.

I assume this is a common "home studio" issue everyone has to deal with.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Eddie,

I have such limited room and so much ambient noise a vocal booth is not really a solution that could be easily implemented.

I think I will try the truck idea. I have some other questions but I will put them in a different post.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You could put blankets or sun shades over the windows to help with frequency reflections.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Steve,

None of this has been much of an issue with my terrible sounding voice...lol

Now that I have the possibility of recording a real vocalist I have been thinking about all this.

There should be ways to add some sound attenuation material in the truck without much of an issue.

My AC in the truck will make ice sickles so cooling it down then turning off the engine should provide a comfortable environment for five minutes or so.

There is little noise where I live except for Homestead Air Base.

Just thinking out loud.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Would like to see the look on that 30 year old vocalist Billy, when you say to her " cone on into the studio " and you head towards the truck!

smile

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Would like to see the look on that 30 year old vocalist Billy, when you say to her " cone on into the studio " and you head towards the truck!

smile

Funny stuff. Well, I actually did not consider that!

I have said to her from the beginning that we could do recordings at my house. If we liked what we hear and think it has value then we will jump on a plane and go to Nashville or even perhaps LA and record in a professional studio.

We have had some conversations about the crazy stuff that we have both been through ( pretty personal and not all happy) so I sort of don't think "singing in a truck" would seem all that strange to her.

I think it will make a funny music video...lol

Carpool Karaoke comes to mind...lol

Thanks guys for putting up with me. I have been pretty vocal and animated lately. Perhaps the drugs have not worn off yet...lol I am so happy to just be alive I feel like a kid!

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 11/19/21 06:27 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A closet with a lot of clothes in it makes a pretty good isolation booth. Place The microphone in with the clothes or slightly in front of the clothes. The singer stands in the closet doorway facing the clothes.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The closet has worked, as has the garage.
For my daughter, she likes the sound we get when she stands in the upstairs hallway that faces the open stairwell to the downstairs, she says the stairwell sucks the room sound away, yet the side walls help her hear herself.
Ya never know what's going to work for a given vocalist, all you can do is experiment.
Heck in Motown they would record on the dirt floor of a garage and feed the sound into the empty attic for reverb.
Nothing wrong with being creative and experimenting.

/But I wouldn't initially invite her over to experiment, not in those words anyway

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
The closet has worked, as has the garage.
For my daughter, she likes the sound we get when she stands in the upstairs hallway that faces the open stairwell to the downstairs, she says the stairwell sucks the room sound away, yet the side walls help her hear herself.
Ya never know what's going to work for a given vocalist, all you can do is experiment.
Heck in Motown they would record on the dirt floor of a garage and feed the sound into the empty attic for reverb.
Nothing wrong with being creative and experimenting.

/But I wouldn't initially invite her over to experiment, not in those words anyway

I never even considered the stairwell idea. There is a platform five steps down and not far away.No AC outlet in the stairwell
I need to set up some sort of test in different places. A small mono speaker near the mic with a known good vocal? I have a high-quality signal generator 0-30Mhs? Look at the signal with a spectrum analyzer?
Look at the noise floor?

OMG, this is beginning to look like engineering. Looks like a lot of work...lol

Thanks guys for the ideas

Other good news, got cleared by the doctor this afternoon for unlimited physical activity.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Other good news, got cleared by the doctor this afternoon for unlimited physical activity.

Just in time to run the Miami Thanksgiving Marathon!!!

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

Just in time to run the Miami Thanksgiving Marathon!!!

Perhaps fly an old WW2 warbird inverted over the Marathon but only gonna run to the airplane...lol

More like going bashing around in the ocean chasing fish.

Marathons are cool but only in a wheelchair powered by a 327 Chevy engine with twin Carter AFB four barrels, Crane 500 roller bearing high lift cam, and an Offenhauser high rise manifold...lol

See Eddie, this is the crap you get for dragging me away from studying all this diminished chord stuff.

Actually, thanks, I needed a break.

Billy

I have already lost my mind so I don't need to lose my pants also...lol

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Billy,

I'm very glad to read your doctor has cleared you for any physical activity. That's very good news for you.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I think it could work well - or it could work terribly. Only way to find out is to try!

Suggestions about acoustic treatment - sure, that could help, or it could make it worse. Acoustic treatment is only necessary if the space you're in doesn't sound good - it's typically a bad idea to completely remove the sound of the recording space.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Billy,

I'm very glad to read your doctor has cleared you for any physical activity. That's very good news for you.

Thank you very much, Jim. I still have a few weeks of speech therapy and yesterday was the first day back in the gym in two years.

I need to lose a few pounds and my left side is a bit weak but everything is going in the right direction.

I am starting a medically supervised exercise program with a weight reduction of twenty-five pounds. The goal is to do that in four months.

Pumping iron sort of sucks but it is about the only way for older guys to maintain muscle mass.

I may only lose 20 pounds. It is not so good for older people to lose too much weight. New studies indicate that older people who are ten to fifteen pounds over "ideal" live longer.

Thanks for thinking about me.

Billy

I am super happy with all my health conditions now. January I go in for another scan which we expective to be negative. If that scan is OK then another one a year later. After that, it is a done deal.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
There's actually quite a few videos on YouTube on the subject of using the interior of a vehicle for audio recording.

Here's one -
5 ways to capture dialog in a car

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You either like it or you don’t.

For the last ten years all of Janice’s vocals have been sung facing a quilted table runner hanging on a file cabinet. It works for us but maybe it’s the Bowflex in the same room. smile

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Jim... you beat me to the punch!!!
I have just finished a complete revamp in my "studio." I got rid of the big corner desk that was taking up half of the small room and exchanged it for one straight desk that goes wall to wall. It's giving me MUCH more space.

I also got rid of the carpet as all it was doing was catching dust. But by doing that I am left with an echo in the room. So my plan is to do vocals in the closet among the clothes.

Bobby

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195