And no glass slipper
Well, maybe
Not much like her at all

Every night
I chase the same siren call
Looking forever for that damned ball

Male:
The night is falling
I hear the wind that's calling out to me (Where can he be?)

Guiding me somewhere
Somewhere that I'm supposed to be (How should I know?)
Will she appear like in the fairy tale? (I'm no princess)
Wish I could sweep her off her feet (My aching feet)

Like Cinderella
And I'll be her Prince Charming (My poor feet)
In shining armor
Not really,
I'm not like that at all (I hate these heels)

Every night
I bet I'll never find that ball
I bet I'll never find that ball

Instruments
1569:Bass, Electric, Soul60sA-B Ev 110
1578:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Soul60sA-B Ev 110
1572:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Soul60sHighA-B Ev 110
1575:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Soul60sLowA-B Ev 110
3773:Guitar, Electric, Background FunkyGroove60sSoulRiff Ev16 095
~425:Organ, B3, Background Blues Sw 120
Soul60sEv^3-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Bass Drum, Ride

Signal Chain
Master: Lurssen Mastering Console, Finsher Retro (Vinyl History)
Female Vocal: Greg Wells VoiceCentric
Female Alt Vocal: Sunset Sound Studio Reverb (Plate 2)
Male Vocal: Greg Wells VoiceCentric
Male Alt Vocal: Sunset Sound Studio Reverb (Chamber/Studio 2)
Drums: Finisher Retro (Too Old Tube), Vulf Compressor (Old School Crunch)
Bass: RBass Mono
Piano: EZMix (Piano 2)
Rhythm Guitar 1: TrackSpacer, Retro Finisher (Soul Signal Chain), EZ Mix (Bright Spring Reverb)
Rhythm Guitar 2: TrackSpacer, Retro Finisher (Duo Vibe)
Rhythm Guitar 3: TrackSpacer, Retro Finisher (CEO Chorus)
Organ: EZMix (Organ 1)

The Back Story
For those unfamiliar, Eleanor Forte is a synthetic voice for the program Synthesizer V. The "AI" refers to the use of neural networks to generate the vocal. The harmonic resolution isn't as good as their concatenative synthesis method they have for some of the voices, but I think the synthetic vocal is quite good in other respects.

Fortunately, you don't actually have to understand how any of that works to use the software - you just type words in onto the piano roll notes, and it's sung back in the voice you choose. wink

I'd pre-ordered the Eleanor Forte AI voice when it was announced back in July, and the vendor sent a download link for people who had pre-ordered this week. I haven't done much songwriting lately, so I figured it was time to have a go at it.

The style _SOL60S2 is the backbone of the song, with rewrite of the chords and the addition of two more guitars. The style of the track reminded me a lot of The Eagles, although the song doesn't. I wanted to keep it short, so I kept it to two verses. I really like putting holds in songs, so I added a couple of those, along with a long hold to end the song. BiaB added an ending tag with an organ glissando, so I knew I had to work that in somewhere. (I ended up using it twice).

I've been intending to write something completely frivolous for a while, so I started with the idea of dancing, with the singer comparing herself to Cinderella, only to realize she had nothing in common. That got the first verse written, but having blown my only idea on the first verse, I wasn't sure where to go. I didn't want to extend the song with a third verse, so having the second verse echo the first verse from the male perspective seemed like a good way to solve the problem.

I don't have a male English voice for SynthV, so I pitched the voice down an octave and adjusted a number of parameters. I wasn't thrilled with the results, so I ended up doubling the vocal with a "Lite" version of Eleanor Forte (the non-AI version). I ended up doing that with the female vocal as well.

I had written the melody so that a counter-line could be added, which I did on the second verse.

A bunch of rewrites later, and the vocals were done. Everything went into my DAW, where I removed chunks of instruments so everything didn't happen at once. I also used TrackSpacer to perform ducking on the guitars so the vocals would be more clear.

Normally, I spend a lot of time manually balancing the vocal, but I wanted to get the first version done quickly, so I didn't sweat it that much.

Since I was going for a '70s sort of vibe, I chose a number of low-fi effects from UJAM's Retro Finisher so I could justify having purchased it.

I'm likely to go back and adjust the mix and even the vocals, so as usual, feedback of any sort is appreciated.

I hope you enjoy it! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David ...

Very interesting! I really enjoyed my listen.

There aren't many songs written specifically for duets these days. That was a nice surprise! AI voices have really come a long way the past few years and you seem to have a mastery of them. Ah ... if only I could have such good pitch! I like the song a lot. I particularly like these lines:

Every night

You are very creative! I read the back story. Although I didn't understand everything, I got a sense of how you approached and structured the vocal elements. Ya did good!

Thanks for something new and different that was enjoyable. best to you.

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello David
Good Song
I think the singing is very well done
But it seems to be very complicated
I really have no idea about it
didn't know it works so well
maybe this way I will get a good hard rock singer one day ;-))))
Really cool made song
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Tight, pleasant and very successful at catching the 70s vibe! I can hear Bowie doing this in his hammy, retro way.

When you say Eleanor "arrived", do you mean the vendor had to create something for you? I was looking at Synth V but was frustrated by the difficulty figuring what was available and how to buy it.

My first impression of Eleanor is that she sounds a little congested, as in, has a cold (hopefully not COVID!) I don't know how to translate that into a useful observation, it's just something I kind of feel in my own chest when listening, you probably understand what I mean better than I do. I want to say she needs more "mouth", but I do not understand the levers here.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Dave,

listening to the song without having read the info I was somewaht irritated by the female voice. But then I read that it was artificial - wow, I had nnever heard of Eleanor Forte AI or the like before, simply amazing! After I had read your info I thought that the software must cost a fortune, but on the Taewanese website they sell it for about 110 bucks - well worth considering a purchase.

Whatever: Thanks a lot for your extensive descriptiom.

Ah, yes, the song smile : Sounds really good to me, and I think it was the perfect choice for your first go at ER AI.

Thanks a lot for everything,

Stefan

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Very interesting! I really enjoyed my listen.

I'm glad to hear that! laugh

Quote:
There aren't many songs written specifically for duets these days. That was a nice surprise!

Well, it was a surprise to me, as well. wink

On a forum like this where singer/songwriters do all their own work, there are only a couple people who are able to do duets.

Quote:
AI voices have really come a long way the past few years and you seem to have a mastery of them. Ah ... if only I could have such good pitch!

Pitch correction software has come a long was, too. There's a lot more effort being made to make it more transparent and subtle, although people generally don't use it that way. It's really tempting to overdo it!

As vocal synthesis improves, people will first think "That's a over-corrected vocal" instead of "That's a robot singing".

Quote:
I like the song a lot. I particularly like these lines:

Every night

Thanks!

I initially edited that line out because of the (mild) profanity, but eventually put it back in, because it's key to her character. That, and it made me laugh. laugh

Thanks for stopping by to comment! I'm glad you enjoyed the song.

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello David
Good Song
I think the singing is very well done
But it seems to be very complicated
I really have no idea about it
didn't know it works so well
maybe this way I will get a good hard rock singer one day ;-))))

Hi, Andi.

Thanks for the kind words! smile

It's not that complicated, although Emvoice is easier to use. There are a lot of controls in SynthV. Most of them can be ignored, but they're good to have when you need them. Singing isn't that simple!

There's no English male voice for SynthV yet, although I know they're working on it. From the little I've heard, it's more "pop" than "rock". There used to be an option for adding vocal "growl" as well, but that was removed because it was hard to use and didn't sound that great.

I'm looking forward to hearing what they come up with.

Thanks again for stopping and commenting!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Tight, pleasant and very successful at catching the 70s vibe! I can hear Bowie doing this in his hammy, retro way.

Thanks! laugh

Quote:
When you say Eleanor "arrived", do you mean the vendor had to create something for you? I was looking at Synth V but was frustrated by the difficulty figuring what was available and how to buy it.

Sorry, I've updated my post to (hopefully) better explain it.

Dreamtonics, the developer of SynthV, have a really awful website.

You can download the Basic (free) program from there, as well as the Lite (free) voices. Just change the language to English and scroll to the bottom of the page to find the download links. In super-tiny letters under the big DOWNLOAD buttons for the Basic version of the studio, there's a link titled Download Lite version Voices. Click that to download the voices.

Once you've installed the Basic Studio, you can install a voice by dragging and dropping it onto the Studio. The Eleanor Forte (Lite) voice is the only free native English speaker.

There are a couple Japanese voices that support English, but they've got heavy accents. They're aimed at Japanese speakers who typically only want to be able to sing short English lines in mostly Japanese songs, and don't care too much about pronunciation.

You can also find the same free program and voices on the ANiCUTE website.

If you're interested in buying SynthV, you'll need to do it from the ANiCUTE website. It's a bit confusing because they have multiple copies of the same item for sale, because the listings are in English, Japanese, and Chinese.

The Eleanor Forte AI voice is still in "pre-release", and I don't know when it'll be "officially" released. At that point, the price will go from $88 to $97.

Quote:
My first impression of Eleanor is that she sounds a little congested, as in, has a cold (hopefully not COVID!) I don't know how to translate that into a useful observation, it's just something I kind of feel in my own chest when listening, you probably understand what I mean better than I do. I want to say she needs more "mouth", but I do not understand the levers here.

I'm guessing you're referring to the "male" version of the voice, which does a lot of tweaks to the original voice. The position of the formants have been moved down, and in addition to giving the impression of a different sized oral cavity, it's shifted the position of the nasal anti-resonances, which are usually at a fixed position. So that's going to sound pretty unnatural.

I really wish they'd hurry up and release a native English male vocalist. cry

Thanks for giving this retro song a listen!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
listening to the song without having read the info I was somewhat irritated by the female voice. But then I read that it was artificial - wow, I had never heard of Eleanor Forte AI or the like before, simply amazing!

Hi, Stefan.

Thanks!

Since your first impression was there was something wrong with the voice, and not to immediately say it was because it was a robot, I'll call that a success.

I think of these as "demos" anyway - I try to do the best I can with them, but as long as the artificial voices don't detract too much from the song, it's all good.

The voice is pitched a bit higher than I'd usually take a female voice, partly because that was the initial key (although it's trivial to change that in BiaB). But it also seemed that a light, higher voice was a better fit for this style of music.

Quote:
After I had read your info I thought that the software must cost a fortune, but on the Taewanese website they sell it for about 110 bucks - well worth considering a purchase.

I'd suggest trying out the free Basic version and voices first.

The Pro Studio is currently $89. Eleanor Forte AI is at the pre-order price of US$ 88, and will go up to US$ 97. There's also an Anri AI voice for pre-order, but it appears it can only be purchased with Eleanor or the Pro Studio.

Keep in mind, if you buy only the Pro Studio, you'll still be able to do additional things like use alternate takes of phonemes in the non-AI Lite voices. The AI voices use a different technology, so that's not an option.

There's also a native American English AI voice coming out in January 2022 called SOLARIA, so that'll be cool.

Now they just need an English male voice, so I don't have to keep morphing the female voices into male vocals...

Quote:
Ah, yes, the song smile : Sounds really good to me, and I think it was the perfect choice for your first go at ER AI.

I'm glad to hear that you liked the song!

Thanks for commenting, and good luck with SynthV if you decide to go that route!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Quote:

I'm guessing you're referring to the "male" version of the voice, which does a lot of tweaks to the original voice.

No, I meant the female. She sounds... I don't know, she sounds... plump. She sounds to me like an alto singing a soprano part.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
The Eleanor Forte AI voice is still in "pre-release", and I don't know when it'll be "officially" released. At that point, the price will go from $88 to $97.

Arggh. Now I remember, this kind of cryptic product status was part of what settled me on Emvoice, even after I figured out how to download the free Synth V voices and played with it a bit. The idea of selling "pre-release" software is a contradiction, unless we're talking about black market leaks. I do want Synth V, but I think I'll wait until Synth V decides it's really for sale before investing the time in learning it.

Thanks for all this info.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 11/26/21 08:44 AM.
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes

Arggh. Now I remember, this kind of cryptic product status was part of what settled me on Emvoice, even after I figured out how to download the free Synth V voices and played with it a bit. The idea of selling "pre-release" software is a contradiction, unless we're talking about black market leaks. I do want Synth V, but I think I'll wait until Synth V decides it's really for sale before investing the time in learning it.

It's not that they're selling beta software, it's that the software is being sold before it's available - that it, "pre-release" means that you're buying something before it's been released.

It's pretty common in the virtual instrument world to do this, as it gives developers some cash to work with, and typically rewards buyers with a modest discount.

In this case, they're also rewarding early adopters with copies of the software before it's generally available. That's not a big incentive for me, but apparently it's enough of a driver that they've made it a point of there pre-sales campaign.

If that doesn't float your boat, that's fine. I've also purchased the "pre-release" of Anri and SOLARIA, but that's just because I'll get them anyway, and who knows if I'll have the spare cash available when they are released? Plus, I want to support the development of more/better SynthV voicebanks.

Your preference is to pay for things when they're ready, and that's sensible. Plus, you've already got a pair of voices with Emvoice, so you're only only talking about adding yet another synthetic vocalist to your stable of singers.

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Fair enough, David, I don't mean to imply anything shady. I guess I was looking for a sign to tell me what singing synth to get, more as a matter of conservation of mental resources than money, and Dreamtonics' confusing offerings made it harder to choose them.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 11/26/21 01:05 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I liked the song and its structure. The lyrics were good, clever in a few spots. The male voice sounded more natural than the female voice to my ears. But the female voice wasn't bad. So you did a great job reworking the female voice to get the male voice!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David

These voices are getting better. As a backing vocalist they would I assume sound very realistic in a mix.

Interesting technology - the song was a pleasant listen.

Peter

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I liked the song and its structure. The lyrics were good, clever in a few spots.

I'm happy to hear the song worked for you. Some things are really obvious (like using a mirroring structure) in retrospect, but sometimes it feel like I blindly stumble on solutions. Songwriting can really feel like fitting in a puzzle - especially when it's setting lyrics to a preexisting melody.

Quote:
The male voice sounded more natural than the female voice to my ears. But the female voice wasn't bad. So you did a great job reworking the female voice to get the male voice!

Thanks!

I think I pitched the female voice a bit out of a comfortable range. and it's a bit thinner than I'd normally use. On the other hand, there's only a small range of parameters where the "male" voice seems to work.

Hopefully I'll learn how to create a better performance with the female voice in the future.

I appreciate you listening, as well as the feedback! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
These voices are getting better. As a backing vocalist they would I assume sound very realistic in a mix.

Hi, Peter.

I'm pretty impressed with this iteration of Eleanor Forte. While there are some demos that sound very "Vocaloid", I've heard a couple that show what the voice is capable of.

Quote:
Interesting technology - the song was a pleasant listen.

I'm glad the song worked as more than just a tech demo. wink

Thanks for listening!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A quite cool song, deliberately corny lyrics aside, it's hangs together really well and the drum treatment works really well - though the slap kick isn't improved by it.
The voices - well you did a cool job tweaking them to get a great result. That mob should be paying you demo fees.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
First, the song... Love it, David. Cool bass! A very clever write, and the perfect vehicle to use the AI voices. You're right, I don't understand it, but it sounds good. Really well constructed production.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
well heck i wasnt expecting this.
us vocallists are gonna be redundant...lol.
great job with the backing band too.
I MEAN IT SINCERELY MATE. this must have been a lot of work. also what i like bout it is, it has some lovely
song "hooks" in the arrangement.
ive only got two words BLOWN AWAY.

best to you.
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
It's good to see you got the ladies together again, and a gentleman too this time. Your work is brilliant, not just because you know how to program the Synthesizer V so well, but because the lyrics and music fit the AI gang very naturally. The only thing you are missing with this production is a animated video of the girls (and guy) belting the song out.

Bravo!

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,562
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200