Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
Expert
are we expecting any patches in December for BIAB 2021? and will they continue patches for 2021 in 2022 if necessary for people who don't upgrade?

do people still have issues? and will 2022 carry forward those issues? be interesting to see smile

Veteran
Veteran
I doubt that they will produce patches for 2021 after build 845 unless there is a major issue identified that needs resolving.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: malevans
....... Oh and more Midi pleeeeeeeeeeeeze.

Don't worry, we love MIDI!

Well I use an Audient iD22 Matt and us zero latency freaks often get messages like 'you must have the same sample rates in the prog you are using and the external sound module. BB kind of insists everything is done in 44.1 KHz 16 bit. I always work in 96 KHz 64 or 32 bit. Very frustrating at times. Cubase changes automatically when it notices a change in rates but not all DAW's do and it certainly renders the BB plugin useless unless I revert back to 44 KHz etc.

BIAB only insists on 44.1khz if you're using ASIO. If you switch to WAS or MME it'll run happily at 96khz or 192khz (the highest I can test) as will the plugin. ASIO forces your interface to 44,100Hz as it needs to synchronize your interface and software together, and currently that's the sample rate that BIAB requests. Basically, if you're running Cubase and BB at the same time, set BB to use WAS instead of ASIO.

Actually, there's really no need to use ASIO in BIAB except if you need low latency when you're recording something, and at that point it should be the only program running anyway.

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Yes, stability matters. laugh

I also have everything that I can set, set to 16-bit at 44.1 KHz. However I have on occasion run into hardware that insists on 24-bit, or 48 KHz. I remember one Roland unit that absolutely would not lock at 44.1 when I tried to connect using S/PDIF.

The request Mal made is not just over a discussion of desired recording quality, where we could get into a long discussion (please don't) of dithering and rate conversion. It also includes compatibility.

That's very true Matt. I have two interfaces here that only work at 48khz, and they're completely unusable in BIAB when using ASIO. WAS and MME work fine with them though. I've put in a request to the developers to have a choice in BIAB to specify the hardware sample rate when using ASIO, so hopefully they'll be able to implement that.

Originally Posted By: MikeK
I am mostly hoping that 2022 comes out sooner rather than later! laugh

I like your enthusiasm Mike!

Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
are we expecting any patches in December for BIAB 2021? and will they continue patches for 2021 in 2022 if necessary for people who don't upgrade?

do people still have issues? and will 2022 carry forward those issues? be interesting to see smile
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I doubt that they will produce patches for 2021 after build 845 unless there is a major issue identified that needs resolving.

Typically the developers release one, sometimes two, updates for the previous year's version after release of the new version - that's not set in stone though, just my observance over the years. After that they're concentrating on developing the next year's version.

I work here
Expert
Expert
I always work in 96 KHz 64 or 32 bit.

FWIW, there's really no point in sampling higher that 32bit as that's already a huge dynamic range. The DAW itself will likely run floating-point now, so the samples will anyway almost certainly be changed to a float.

96kHz isn't unreasonable, though a bit debatable, though higher than that, again, would be pointless.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
gordon. i agree.
i spoke to a programmer once who was deep into digital audio. which is why i settled on 44.1//24 bit recording.
apparently there is often lots of padding going on ?
at higher sampling rates ?
for a ruff demo song i even use reapers flac to record.
sounds good to me.

om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Expert
Expert
JOM,

I generally use 48kHz by choice and 44.1kHz when there's no choice. Personally I rarely bother with 96kHz because most people's ears can't tell the difference anyway, and certainly not my ears. 24bit sampling is perfectly adequate. 16bit is perhaps a bit restrictive for initial sampling as one doesn't want to accidentally run out of headroom. Once in the DAW, most samples are converted to floating point, so headroom is no longer an issue. For rendering, 16bit is fine unless one's very concerned about the highest quality, though few if any people can really hear the difference.

Where high sample rates do help is for "oversampling" right at the very start of the sampling chain, i.e., right where the pre-amp gets converted to digital, as a higher sample-rate allows better protection against aliases (e.g., not accidentally converting some noise at, say, 48kHz plus 47kHz into something audible) and by avoiding very sharp cut-off low-pass filters around the 20kHz area. One you have the samples, though, there's very little benefit in maintaining sampling above the 44.1/48 area.

One of the benefits of using floating-point data within the DAW, is that the degradations that used to be due to bad gain-staging pretty much just go away. No increase in noise if your signals are low, no risk of clipping if they're high. The maths just does it. Of course one can get the rendering levels wrong as one goes back to the 44.1kHz/16bit or whatever.

I did some comparisons years ago between various sample rates for mp3, ogg-vorbis and similar of flac, starting from some high quality CDs that I used for auditioning Hi-Fi kit.

As you would expect, higher compressions of mp3 and ogg-vorbis were not so good. High sample rates with low compression actually were pretty darned good ... most people wouldn't tell them from the originals.

The .flac files I'd made from the original CD .wav files I converted back to .wav and did a binary comparison with the original from which they were made. They were binary identical. Flac is totally lossless ... it does not degrade the signal at all.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Gordon.
excellent comments.
what i find interesting is...whether one uses the highest of high end gear or the junkiest of junk gear , in the end it all comes down to the end product..the song.

for example i have friends that prefer some of my songs
done on oddball junk gear over ones i did in big studios
useing the best gear.
there is no magic gear solution imho.

i posted one of my oddball songs done useing junk
recently in the pg user showcase forum. it used a diy mic pre i built for 5 buckies with a couple of junk transistors,
and other junk gear. yet my friends prefer it to some songs done that i slaved over in studios.
now of course thats not always the case...but i often
ponder if there are recording forces at work teaching me a lesson...lol.
as in "buddy dont think you can spend your way to a great song".

right now i'm deep in the acw etc and figuring out how to add traks to some old demoes done on junk gear with tape minor fluctuating speeds...ie useing acw to generate tempo maps.
one of my wishes i posted in wishlist for 2022..
ie slow down play in acw main screen to help doing bar markers.

best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/27/21 02:12 PM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
"- - dont think you can spend your way to a great song."
Best advice of 2021 in my opinion.
I only have old, 'junk' gear (apart from BB2021 that is) and can't see how updating and spend, spend, spend will make me play better or arrange better.
My biggest fear for BB2022 and onwards is that PG will succumb to the 'must have more Tech' mantra, create pretty GUIs, lots of midi mumbo jumbo etc instead of making Music SIMPLE.
End of rant! Feel better now.
Bests
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
a diy mic pre i built for 5 buckies with a couple of junk transistors

Actually, you can make a surprisingly good preamp with just two transistors and a few Rs and Cs, so long as you don't try to push it too hard.

"buddy dont think you can spend your way to a great song".

+1 ... Good advice any year, really.

I'm not so sure that the tape speed thing is too good, though :-)

G.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Gordon and Ian.
critique me on this wish for 2022.
the subject is drum fills and solos.

normally the method i use to generate the above from pg rd's ...is...
to copy the final chord sheet arrangement and call it drums solos/fills. ie not messing with the original final chord arrange. then in this copy i futz around with part rmarkers all over the place at random and/or different colours of such and/or useing the dot D method to play only drums etc etc. eg lets say a simple song
c/am/f/g...c.d/am.d/f.d/g.d etc etc.

BUT what ive wanted for longest time is a menu option...
thats right in yer face where the user can select a drum solo for certain length // so many bars and/or fills..
sorta AI thats different each time.
twould be a better idea thsan the kludge i go thru' currently.

then of course the user could import the genned drum solos/fills //whatever into the users daw of choice.
thus in the daw you might have one trak of an rd just regular beat, and a second trak in daw with drum solos and/or fills etc. of course you could copy and paste fills in daw wherever you want if user prefers that.

whaddya think ?

best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/28/21 10:16 AM.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Melodists has been long neglected. The Ragtime is probably the best. +1

Jan - 12 Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other SSD internal and USB drives.
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
Expert
Expert
Gordon ...

I don't know anything like enough yet about using BiaB to be able to critique on that.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yes indeed Philly.

I think we need some intelligent Melodists. A melody makes a song and if the lyrics are good then job done.

Mal
Veteran
Veteran
Like that:

"Can't spend your way to a great song."

Exactly.

I have my workflow down to four simple tools on one page: Midi Piano and Strings in BIAB VST, my own piano track, open lyric sheet, a mic turned out to capture any use-able mumblings.

That's it. Only when I have a song will I start adding tracks and making an arrangement.

That being said, anything to make the BIAB VST3 work faster and more efficiently is cool with me. I would like to be able to route midi directly to a DAW track from the VST3 without dropping and dragging it there after generation, if that is possible.

Maybe it already is, but I can't figure out how to do it, if it does.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
DAVID WORKFLOW.png (627.81 KB, 5 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Gordon and Ian.
the subject is drum fills and solos.

normally the method i use to generate the above from pg rd's ...is...
to copy the final chord sheet arrangement and call it drums solos/fills. ie not messing with the original final chord arrange. then in this copy i futz around with part rmarkers all over the place at random and/or different colours of such and/or useing the dot D method to play only drums etc etc. eg lets say a simple song
c/am/f/g...c.d/am.d/f.d/g.d etc etc.

This is one of the main functions of Real Band. RB is a DAW with Biab added so all the tracks you've recorded do not change when you generate something new. That means you do exactly what you described, change the chord grid any way you want and generate one drum track after another until you've filled up all 48 tracks if you wanted.

And, considering you can generate just the bars you want you have an almost unlimited amount of tracks. If you only used 10% of each track for a different drum part you essentially have 480 tracks. And it's not just drums, you can change the style and chords too and use different midi instruments or RT's. Basically RB lets you treat each track as it's own discrete song and later have tons of fun cutting/pasting/mixing until you find what you want. RB is very powerful if only users would give it a chance.

Can't help you with the AI thing though. I think Jamstix has a function similar to that.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
JM.
re RB. yes of course. ive made same point on these forums.
but as this is biab 2022 related thread i didnt want the "boys sent around"...lol...if i mentionec RB. particularly i like rb bars view for moving drum bits around.
but as pandoras box has been opened ..lol...if you notice one of my wishes in the rb forum is "please sir can i have more bars view". i would like the same wish for
biab 2022. so there is commonality.
if you chek the rb thread pipeline did a lovely new bars view graphic that i love.
essentially the idea is to expand the bars view features to make bars view a central repository for bars/parts of bars/trak settings for a song, by right cliks over a bar or series of bars. etc etc.
for further info please read "please sir etc"...in rb wishlist.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=663620#Post663620
and heres pipes graphic. notice the song sections at gthe top. thus daw relateable re daw markers etc.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=16716&filename=Muso-Bar-Window5.png

best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/30/21 02:48 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Have you checked out the new Biab 2022? If not please do so, it's almost unbelievable what it can do now starting with 24 tracks that can be used for anything. It can't do everything RB can but man, it really is something to talk about now. The biggest knock about RB is the generation times while Biab is very fast. That and all the new features may start to drag me away from RB.

The whole focus this year was on Biab while RB just got a few incremental fixes, nothing major. That may be a hint RB will never be fully upgraded but given what they did with Biab it may not matter to me anyway. I'm not sure but I don't think any of the new Biab features will get picked up in RB other than just dragging the generated tracks over. Since Biab has 24 tracks I don't need RB to generate all those comp tracks I talked about because 24 is plenty for what I do.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
JM.
well its all getting a tad pricey for me.
i'm being forced more and more into free orch libs to get real sounds in my songs.
eg like bbc spitfire driven by midi.
so i'll prolly get the pro upgrade. to upgrade my old ultra pak. including bonus....that'll give me plenty
to do songs.
your correct tho' bb is looking real nice now.
and 24 jm is enuf for me too.
i'm a tad disappointed not more rb updates.

ya know possibly one way now of working with both bb and rb to cut gen times , start off in bb till chord sheet
and rt's finalised...then mix down from bb a guide stereo
wav song mix. and load the guide into rb plus the chord
arrange finalised. then test out more ideas useing rb features ?

i'm useing rb right now plus acw to revitalise some old
songs o' mine done originally on tape.
i would be real happy with a slow done feature in acw 2022 main screen.

best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 12/01/21 04:01 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
... i would be real happy with a slow done feature in acw 2022 main screen.

Band-in-a-Box has a built-in slowdown or speed up feature located in the Tempo area of the Control Panel.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard80a BiaB Tempo Feature.jpg (89.68 KB, 93 downloads)
Tempo Feature "Classic" View
Clipboard80b BiaB Tempo Feature.jpg (27.94 KB, 93 downloads)
Tempo Feature "Modern" View

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
jim.
but i want it in acw main screen,...
go to acw main screen and youll see no such feature.
when i'm in acw laying down bar lines i want to stay in acw ....and use slow down to certify ive put bar lines
in correct place.
at normal play speed its very easy
to place a bar line incorrectly.

jim.
try this n youll see prob.
1. in main bb screen set to 75 per cent.
2. now in acw with audio loaded acw reverts to 100 per cent not 75 per cent.
i just ran a test just now.

best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 12/01/21 04:30 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,484
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195