Page 1 of 2 1 2
#68765 04/03/10 05:59 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
withouth the minor seventh,bottom to top.....

A-C-E-B

?

Veteran
Veteran
I don't think this chord is supported. You will have to choose between hearing the minor seventh with Am9, or the sixth with Am69.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
70.000 features and a minor chord add9 is not supported. How ironic, and disappointing. Not everybody likes to throw in there a minor seventh...it gives a completely different sound.

obviously my remark is not directed at you.....

Thanks for the reply

Last edited by avatars_the_titletrack; 04/03/10 06:40 PM.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
BB really does need the "add" chords.

One workaround might be to try the E5/A, which should yield The A, E and B without the C. Has *almost* the same flavor.

--Mac

A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
thanks Mac, that's what I have tried too, earlier....but with E5/ A, BB gives a G sharp, which is even worse, lol

well, we try....

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The chosen style may throw the 3rd of E in there, I've noticed that...

S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
Am/B works, if you can tolerate the 9 in the bass.

John

G
G
I have found that if I enter say a Cadd9, it accepts it but notates it as C2. I just tried it with a minor but it did not take it.

A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
Quote:

Am/B works, if you can tolerate the 9 in the bass.

John

I have very strong doubts about that. A 9th in the bass is not something that I throw in there without very good reason....a dissonance in the bass changes the chord even more than the same dissonance in the upper parts

A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
Quote:

The chosen style may throw the 3rd of E in there, I've noticed that...

so it depends on the styles, as well ? for example, if I want just minor and major triads without any extensions whatsoever UNLESS i enter seventh chords, etc, would I be better off with a Folk style rather than a Funk style in order for me not to have these chord problems?

I'll try that....

I also remember that there was another chord embellishment option other than the main one (the one found by right-clicking and choosing Song Settings)
does anyone remembers where that other option is?

A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
I have also tried correcting the notes manually.... for example in the style 'back street top 40' I wrote Em/B again but the bass was playing an E on the strong beat, so basically the chord sounded like a straight Em. But I moved the bass note from E to B and it stays there if I control the playback of the song by just clicking in the chord sheet window. If I click the play button, the bass reverts to the E note.

I'll try to modify the harmony in that way.....hopefully it will work

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I have also tried correcting the notes manually.... for example in the style 'back street top 40' I wrote Em/B again but the bass was playing an E on the strong beat, so basically the chord sounded like a straight Em. But I moved the bass note from E to B and it stays there if I control the playback of the song by just clicking in the chord sheet window. If I click the play button, the bass reverts to the E note.

I'll try to modify the harmony in that way.....hopefully it will work

That is because hitting Play *regenerates* the song in BB.

The only tracks that we can change and stay static are events on the Melody or Soloist tracks. (and Audio). All others will be regenerated by the Style file when you hit Play, thus any manual edits get overwritten.

If you have ber 2010, you can use the FREEZE option to keep that track as you changed it.

--Mac

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

so it depends on the styles, as well ? for example, if I want just minor and major triads without any extensions whatsoever UNLESS i enter seventh chords, etc, would I be better off with a Folk style rather than a Funk style in order for me not to have these chord problems?

I've never gone through all the styles in an effort to find out which ones do and don't, but I do know that the rock styles, like Metal, etc. always play the '5' chords as just two-note events with no third, while many of the jazz, soul, etc. oriented styles do indeed insert the 3rd in there.

--Mac

A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
Quote:

Quote:

If you have ber 2010, you can use the FREEZE option to keep that track as you changed it.

--Mac

yes I just got the v2010 yesterday. I'll try the Freeze function too ,Mac. Do you remember that other chord option? I think it was called something like 'pop chords or jazz chords', but I can't find it.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Under the Edit menu is "Jazz Up" or "Jazz Down" the chords

But that has mostly to do with chord extensions, I think, and likely would not remove a 3rd inserted into a 5 powerchord by the style file, since the 3rd is not a chord extension.

--Mac

A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
Quote:

Under the Edit menu is "Jazz Up" or "Jazz Down" the chords

But that has mostly to do with chord extensions, I think, and likely would not remove a 3rd inserted into a 5 powerchord by the style file, since the 3rd is not a chord extension.

--Mac

what I am trying to do is not to remove a third to get a powerchord, basically I was writing that chord in that weird ' E5 / A' way hoping to get a minor add9 chord. I don't even remember why we got into all this E5/A business!

anyways, yes that 'Jazz down' option, I have been killing myself trying to find it, ah ah
I could not remember where that one option was. It's still a great help as I write extensions only if they are 'prepared' by the previous chord, the traditional classical way. So this option will be of greatly help, I remember I used it all the time but now it has been a while since I wasn't using BB, so for the life of me I could not remember.

I am selecting styles more carefully now

Thanks Mac

A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
these little things about the minor add9 chord etc, don't undervalue the program ,though, BB 2010 is still a monster program, well worth having. The Realtracks are light-years ahead of the midi sounds generated by the VSC in my old 2007 version. And with the Freeze addition making changes is not much slower than with the old MIDI generated tracks.

Band in a Box ? No joke ,now it really is one

Journeyman
Journeyman
Yes the other main thing about real drums and tracks for me is the more realistic phrase lengths and fills.

I would say though that having a really good synth and drum add-on like XLN addictive drums with it's high end midi resolution and miking really puts midi in a differernt light.

You also have to remember that BIAB's midi resolution is quite low and only allows for two bar patterns that aren't allways strung together in a way that's entirely true- to- life.

This can be modified by setting up styles with pattern chains lasting 8 bars which is good but it would be great to have more than one dedicated pattern chain available in any one instrument.

Its a telling point about the way the program is often used that a lot of people will have no idea or interest in what i'm talking about in that last point.

My feeling is that if people are intrerested in making the vast majority of the existing styles work better then perhaps they ought to ask for more midi capability.

Regards

Alan

Journeyman
Journeyman
Mac mentioned the "Jazz Down" feature that is helpful. I also believe there is a song setting to eliminate "chord embellishments" for the song so that chord you enter are not substituted with "jazzed up" chords right from pressing Play. I find this useful, especially when I am using a style that I like in a way that it might not have been intended; e.g., blues styles without going heavy on the sevenths.

Joel
A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
Alan, I agree about using a very good synth with BB, infact I hope to understand how I can setup my Kontakt 3 with the program. I could use some really nice sax patches for the 'thru' channel. Tried already but without success, do you know of some links where I can learn more?

Your other observations are no doubt interesting, especially what you said about what BB does with 2-bar phrases. Another thing I don't quite like about it, i's the 16 tracks sequencer....never been able to figure it out. It would be nice to have some simple but effective sequencer with all the tracks clearly labeled out and with a simple but traditional mixer. I have always found the at type of sequencer really productive

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,565
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200