Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I just did this:

- Make a BIAB song with a single "campfire" guitar
- Export single track to Logic
- Regenerate in BIAB
- Export to Logic again as a second guitar track

This works out really nicely, it's like having two real guitarists dueting the same part with subtle differences.

It might be nifty to have an audio export option, "Render N regenerations as tracks", but I doubt there is, so what might be the next best way of doing this?

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 12/06/21 05:17 PM.
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I would add a second RealTrack of the same guitar. BIAB usually does a good job of rendering those two tracks differently but you should check because I have had an issue of the same thing being generated for one or more bars and in that case they add together instead of sounding like two separate guitars.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
I have had an issue of the same thing being generated for one or more bars and in that case they add together instead of sounding like two separate guitars.

I was wondering about that.

I'm guessing BIAB has ways to micro-tweak audio so that even though *THIS* 2-bar recording is the same as *THAT* 2-bar recording, such multiple instances won't (or shouldn't) be perfectly aligned and identical, and can double one another.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 12/06/21 07:26 PM.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Yeah I have had pretty good luck doing this. Just like you described...I found a single guitar I liked and wanted a second one and this worked out very well as long as I check for that occasional dupe bar. And with the new multiriff feature even that is easy to fix.

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
I just did this:

- Make a BIAB song with a single "campfire" guitar
- Export single track to Logic
- Regenerate in BIAB
- Export to Logic again as a second guitar track

This works out really nicely, it's like having two real guitarists dueting the same part with subtle differences.

It might be nifty to have an audio export option, "Render N regenerations as tracks", but I doubt there is, so what might be the next best way of doing this?

Try your procedure using BIAB's 'RealTrack Medley Feature'... just load up two of the single "campfire" guitars, pan them, volume level if you want, generate and play.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Medley Button.png (59.44 KB, 154 downloads)
Medley Button in the Track Settings and Dialogs Window
Medley Screen.png (75.66 KB, 155 downloads)
Medley Screen

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Try your procedure using BIAB's 'RealTrack Medley Feature'

Wow, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for! It even asks how many clones I want. And it IS available in the Mac version.

Many thanks.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I just discovered an option to "Duplicate RealTracks (to thicken sound)", which I believe does the same thing as "simultaneous medley".

Unfortunately, what this gets me is a single audio track with lots of guitars, where I need all those guitars to be on separate tracks for export to Logic.

So I guess I'll need to create duplicate tracks for cloned RealTracks after all.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 12/09/21 07:57 AM.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
So I guess I'll need to create duplicate tracks for cloned RealTracks after all.

Easiest way!

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

Easiest way!

Yeah, for my purposes I do believe so.

That other thing kind of scares me, anyway. Too "internal" to BIAB. I mean, after I "thicken" a track into 5 guitars, where ARE they all? I guess the answer is, they aren't anywhere, you just have a 5-guitar "ThickTrack" with very limited internal controls (vol/pan).

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 12/09/21 09:40 AM.
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
<< Unfortunately, what this gets me is a single audio track with lots of guitars, where I need all those guitars to be on separate tracks for export to Logic. (snip)
That other thing kind of scares me, anyway. Too "internal" to BIAB. I mean, after I "thicken" a track into 5 guitars, where ARE they all? I guess the answer is, they aren't anywhere, you just have a 5-guitar "ThickTrack" with very limited internal controls (vol/pan). >>

I'm not understanding your DAW process from your comment. The idea of using BIAB to create a RealTrack medley mix is to complete the "thickened" arrangement so the user doesn't have to manually do it to each individual component in a DAW, regardless whether it's instruments or vocals. I consider a BIAB RT Medley as the equivalent of creating sub-group output from a Mixer or a sub-group in a DAW. A BIAB RT Medley can also be thought of as the output of a Fx track bus or any bus. "Thickened" is just one use for a RT Medley. Entire song productions can be compiled as arrangements consisting of dozens of instruments and 'tracks'.

A RT Medley track can be used in a DAW as a DCA track, VCA track, aux return, Fx return, sub-mix, stem, bounced track, or many other uses. You're correct, if you think you'll need to process each instrument individually, there's no need to ever construct a Medley. It has specific uses and purpose in its completed state.

A "thickened" track in BIAB is the same as every other track in BIAB. Even before the introduction of "all tracks are equal" or Utility Tracks, the RT Medley feature has been available for years. The medley instruments are where every Legacy Track has always been. They are data assimilated using pointers (WAV Instructions) on the Legacy Track that's being used to direct BIAB to use specific RealTrack audio from multiple RealTracks files. They don't physically 'exist' until that track in rendered to an audio file.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/10/21 03:51 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I'm not understanding your DAW process from your comment. The idea of using BIAB to create a RealTrack medley mix is to complete the "thickened" arrangement so the user doesn't have to manually do it to each individual component in a DAW, regardless whether it's instruments or vocals. I consider a BIAB RT Medley as the equivalent of creating sub-group output from a Mixer or a sub-group in a DAW. A BIAB RT Medley can also be thought of as the output of a Fx track bus or any bus.

I wouldn't use a "ThickTrack" for BIAB-to-Logic export for the same reason I wouldn't export the combined mix, exporting individual tracks instead. If possible, I prefer to avoid the loss of flexibility that comes from such "marriages". No besmirchal intended of the feature for those who use it differently.

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
No besmirching of your workflow was intended or made. Not understanding your workflow is not besmirching. It's not understanding your workflow. All of the workflow processes I mentioned are common to recording and pre-date DAWs by decades. They are also common to live performance sound system setup and they are all common uses that apply to using a RealTrack Medley.

I agreed with your statement that if you found that individual track processing was necessary for each instrument to certainly export the individual tracks. The Medley is not designed for individual instrument processing and in that case is not the tool for the job. However, with Thickened Medley grouping all being the same instrument, in such an instance, it will work with any processing being placed across the track that's common to each of the instruments. For instance, applying a low cut filter, adding reverb, adding compression, or a limiter. The processing would apply equally to all the instruments. A RealTrack Medley is different from a Thickened Medley. A RealTrack Medley can be made from any RealTrack combination included in your version of BIAB where a Thickened Medley is the same instrument used multiple times.

My comment had nothing to do with your workflow because I have no idea what your workflow is or any idea what additional control and flexibility you're speaking of. My comment was that the RealTrack Medley feature has always been what it is today, an arrangement option intended to be done in BIAB so users (if they prefer) can do the entire process in BIAB without needing a DAW to complete this task.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/10/21 06:52 AM.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
My comment was that the RealTrack Medley feature has always been what it is today, an arrangement option intended to be done in BIAB so users (if they prefer) can do the entire process in BIAB without needing a DAW to complete this task.

Sorry if my colorful language about ThickTracks being scary occult entities seemed disparaging or lacking in gratitude or reverence. My only concern is to avoid combining audio sources earlier than necessary in a multi-application workflow.

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
No problem, everything's good. The RT Medley feature it seems isn't the best tool for your work flow.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Well alrighty then, here's another way to do this sort of thing! To "thicken" a particular RealTrack part, in a Logic project, one can:

1) Create a BIAB song track with that part repeated sequentially as many times as desired.
2) Export an audio track to Logic. It will be way too long but that's OK.
3) Duplicate the track and chop the regions down to have the different sequential versions play in parallel.

The value here is a single audio file out of BIAB and a single file into Logic, rather than having multiple regens in separate audio files.

Having said that, working more with such material I do see Charlie's point about the value of "ThickTracks". Importing a complete BIAB song into a Logic project with even one part "cloned" in this way makes for lots of tracks to keep track of and mix. Pre-import mixdown simplifies things a lot, and do I really need to tweak each part individually? Is there really any loss of quality it this way? Probably not. I still wouldn't mix down the entire song for export/import, but that's a very different situation.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 12/19/21 02:26 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,561
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200