2403:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FunkyFolk Ev16 110
~1436:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovinMute Ev16 110
~1437:Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
3338:Synth, Analog, Soloist FunkJeff Ev16 110
2619:Organ, Rhythm Funk Ev 100
JazzFunkGroovin^1-a:Sidestick, Hihat , b:Snare, Hihat

The Effects Chains
Master Buss: Lurssen Mastering Console, Ozone Imager 2

Vocal Buss: Sunset Sound (Iso Booth/Studio 2)
SynthV (Eleanor Forte AI), GW VoiceCentric (Natural Vocal Mix)
Harmony Vocal: SynthV (Eleanor Forte AI), Doubler2 (SoulMate), GW VoiceCentric (Backing Vocals), EZMix 2 (Bright Medium Verb)

Drum Buss: TrackSpacer, Ghz Vulff Compressor (Lots of Attack), TR5 Sunset Sound (Live Room/Studio 2)
BiaB Drum: ReaEQ
MIDI Drum: VD Deep (Dry Direct),

Instrument Buss: Sunset Sound Studio (Live Room/Studio 1)
Bass: Finisher Retro (Mix Console Colors)
Guitar 1: Finisher Retro (Funk Signal Chain)
Guitar 2: Finisher Retro (Funk Signal Chain)
Piano 1: Finisher Retro (Soul Signal Chain)
Piano 2: Finisher Retro (Soul Signal Chain)
Lead Synth: TrackSpacer, Finisher Retro (Too Old Tube), EZMix2 (Phaser)
Organ: TrackSpacer

Mix #2
  • Panned instruments for more depth.
  • Balanced drums - louder, and cut some highs.
  • Less mud on the bass.
  • Guitars are now audible.
  • Phaser on the synth lead to make better use of space.

Blah Blah Blah

This song started with the Syle demo _JZFNKGA.STY (Funky Folk w/ Band). As usual, I altered a lot of chords, worked on some bass lines, and added some hits and pauses.

I then exported the individual files out to Reaper, and created a single backing track that I imported into SynthesizerV and did the lyrics in the piano roll style editor.

Writing lyrics was painful as ever. cry

The prior song had used a relatively high register for Eleanor Forte, and the feedback had generally been that it wasn't a good register. This time, I decided to use to use a much lower register. Eleanor Forte AI has a much softer voice than Eleanor Forte Standard, and the general consensus is that it's difficult to get her to sing with any power.

I did a pass to add harmonies, and then some echo parts. My daughter suggested that bringing the harmonies in on the first verse didn't work, and of course, she was right.

I added a second drum from the recently purchased UJAM Deep Drum, because I needed to justify the purchase.

It took a lot more work to balance this mix. The funky organ was a late addition, and it really helped glue things together.

I'm still likely to tweak the mix/vocals, so as usual, comments of any sort are welcome. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very interesting recording, David. That AI sounds pretty good --amazing how good it's coming along. I hear none of the angst in your lyric writing.

A good write and masterful production. The mix is perfect. Everything comes through so well, and it becomes fun to move attention around to enjoy each part. You do some amazing work in your productions. Much of the processes you describe are way above my pay grade, but I know it's got to take awhile. Your finished product comes through as effortless.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice jazzy way to start the week.

Those AI voices are really starting to get good. It sounds very similar to the vocal treatment used on lots of recordings these days by the pop stars.

Nice

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Dave,

I wouldn't have had to read your (most interesting!) 'blah-blah-blah' to understand that you put a lot of time and effort into this one.

First of all: The backing track is awesome. Period. And it sounds good. And what you did with that AI voice is pretty amating, I think.

Astounding, stunning, astonishing. And great!

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Your work is getting better and better with each new song.

A nice write and pretty cool track.
Eleanor is sounding great!

well done

moto

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: dcuny
The prior song had used a relatively high register for Eleanor Forte, and the feedback had generally been that it wasn't a good register. This time, I decided to use to use a much lower register. Eleanor Forte AI has a much softer voice than Eleanor Forte Standard, and the general consensus is that it's difficult to get her to sing with any power.

I noticed that she didn't sound "plump" this time, which I gather is because she wasn't pushing into her falsetto range. I also noticed she did sound a little weak at times – but that's OK, so do humans.

Fascinating watching this artificial person evolve in your laboratory.

I do hope Eleanor still finds time for the weekend antiquing she so loves. =8^)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

"They say it takes two, two to play the game
One to point the finger, and one to take the blame"

What a great line! A T-Shirt line. Nice.

"You can pick it up right now, or pick it off the lawn"
Nice!

Mix sounds good. I thought the drums could be VERY slightly louder.

I would imagine you (as the programmer) are responsible for the timing of the the lyrics - how the words are SUNG. If so, you did an AMAZING job. Cadence-wise this sounds like a real singer. And the vocal SOUND is as close (to "real") as I've heard from a generated voice. VERY impressive.

And I liked the song!

fj

User Showcase
dcuny Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Very interesting recording, David. That AI sounds pretty good --amazing how good it's coming along.

I'll take "pretty good" over "super-distracted and weird" any day of the week. grin

Quote:
A good write and masterful production. The mix is perfect. Everything comes through so well, and it becomes fun to move attention around to enjoy each part. You do some amazing work in your productions.

Thanks! I suspect I'm more an technician/engineer than a writer, meaning I tend to obsess about the mix. But unfortunately, my ears aren't as good as I'd like them, so it's good to hear it worked.

Quote:
Your finished product comes through as effortless.

Glad to hear it! I chalk most of that up to the fine performances in BiaB. smile

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Those AI voices are really starting to get good. It sounds very similar to the vocal treatment used on lots of recordings these days by the pop stars.

Yeah, despite the addition of "humanization" to the pitch, it still feels overprocessed - even before I throw it through my compression.

But I think it's leaning more towards sounding like an over-processed human than robot, so that's a good thing.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
I wouldn't have had to read your (most interesting!) 'blah-blah-blah' to understand that you put a lot of time and effort into this one.

Hi, Stefan.

It's about the same level of work that I put into any normal song, honestly.

The other day, I was feeling relief that I had finished the vocal - or at least, replaced all the dummy "la la la" lyrics with actual words.

Then it hit me that I still had many hours of arranging, editing and mixing to go. cry

It makes me question the wisdom of this as a hobby. wink

Quote:
First of all: The backing track is awesome. Period. And it sounds good. And what you did with that AI voice is pretty amazing, I think.

Astounding, stunning, astonishing. And great!

Wow! Thanks for the kind words! laugh

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Your work is getting better and better with each new song.

Hi, Captain!

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement! smile

Quote:
A nice write and pretty cool track.
Eleanor is sounding great!

I'm glad you like the "new" voice as well as the song.

Thanks for listening and commenting!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
I noticed that she didn't sound "plump" this time, which I gather is because she wasn't pushing into her falsetto range. I also noticed she did sound a little weak at times – but that's OK, so do humans.

Hi, Mark.

She's pretty much at the bottom of her range here. I was actually getting some nasty metallic artifacts on some of the low notes. Shifting the Gender parameter towards "male" helped in those instances.

Quote:
Fascinating watching this artificial person evolve in your laboratory.

The Anri voice should be released in a couple of days, in time for the next song. Which means a whole new voice to learn how to work with. She's got an even more "pop" voice than Eleanor. It'll be interesting to see what sort of song she fits with.

Quote:
I do hope Eleanor still finds time for the weekend antiquing she so loves. =8^)
No, I've been keeping her busy all weekend on these songs. So I suspect she's getting some well-deserved rest this week. wink

Thanks for dropping by!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

"They say it takes two, two to play the game
One to point the finger, and one to take the blame"

What a great line! A T-Shirt line. Nice.

I appreciate you mentioning the lyrics. This was the point where I decided to try and see how may times I could use the homonyms "to"/"two"/"too" in the lyric. whistle

Speaking of T-shirts, this was a sort of reverse version of the Ben Folds Five's "Song for the Dumped". That song has the line "And give me back my black t-shirt". I needed a rhyme for "key", and I really, really wanted to put in reference to a t-shirt in. But "tee" by itself wouldn't work, and I couldn't get "t-shirt to work, so I eventually figured something else out.

But it took me a long time before I was willing to let that go. cry

Quote:
"You can pick it up right now, or pick it off the lawn"
Nice!

Thanks! Probably my favorite bit in the song. I've resigned myself to the fact that everything I write is (unintentionally) half-remembered from somewhere else. So I'm sure someone far more clever than me said that.

Quote:
Mix sounds good. I thought the drums could be VERY slightly louder.

Good to hear!

The Vulf Compressor is adding a lot of punch to the drums, and bringing up the drums any more would have them clip.

So either I bring the master mix down to make headroom for the drums, or put a compressor/limiter on the drums to stop them from clipping.

I'll probably have my son show me his favorite limiter and how to use it properly. smile

Edit: He agrees the drums are low, and doesn't like the muddiness of the bass. The correct solution is the first option - lowering the other instruments. I'd also put the Stereo Widener after the Mastering Plugin, which is the wrong order. The master buss should have been at unity before sending the signal to the Mastering Plugin, so that needs to be corrected. And I'd lazily added the room effects to the buss rather than routing the instruments to the effects with a separate send so the amount of reverb on each instrument could be controlled. So there are a bunch of things he's got to fix. laugh

Quote:
I would imagine you (as the programmer) are responsible for the timing of the the lyrics - how the words are SUNG. If so, you did an AMAZING job. Cadence-wise this sounds like a real singer. And the vocal SOUND is as close (to "real") as I've heard from a generated voice. VERY impressive.

Thanks for noticing that! laugh

Yes, I'm basically working with a piano-roll style editor, so I've got control over the timing. I'll sketch out the melody before putting in the lyrics, but once the lyrics are added to the notes, I'll adjust them so they match the lyrics and the singer's voice.

And there are a lot of parameters I adjust on a note-to-note basis which help add to the expressiveness.

But as for the quality of the voice, that's a function of the software. And I think it's gotten measurably better in this new voicebank.

Quote:
And I liked the song!

Well, I can't ask for more than that! laugh

I always appreciate your feedback, thanks again!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really liked the lyrics and the whole project, all told. Your efforts are paying off and I'd love to hear what you're capable of in six months to a year. This is a fascinating journey. I'm sure in twenty years it will be difficult to tell a synthetic voice from a real one. In the meantime, I think it's still possible to make good music with what's available now, as you are doing.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
dcuny Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Really liked the lyrics and the whole project, all told.

Thanks! This is more an effort to write songs than a tech demo,

Quote:
Your efforts are paying off and I'd love to hear what you're capable of in six months to a year.

Well, hopefully the tunefulness of my music will improve. smile

There are additional voices coming out, and hopefully I'll have figured out what the various levers do - as well simple stuff like paying more attention to vocal range. I really should go back to my prior song at some point and pitch it down to something more comfortable for the vocal.

Quote:
I'm sure in twenty years it will be difficult to tell a synthetic voice from a real one.

If you compare where this synthetic voice was only three years ago, you'll find a vast difference is realism.

I suspect that next big step for this product will be the re-introduction of glottal effects, such as growl and vocal fry. It had been in a prior release, but the UI was difficult to use - even if you were a trained speech pathologist! laugh

I think the ability to shape more subtle vocal effects would really bring this to another level.

Quote:
In the meantime, I think it's still possible to make good music with what's available now, as you are doing.

Thanks! laugh

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Good work. You have really mastered this "style". I love that the AI is kicking the guy out. I wish you could do a video where the animated woman is kicking the real life guy out.

Great lyrics, by the way.

Excellent work here.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well done David. I agree with Marty. You are getting the vocaloid really dialed in. Loved the song and lyric. Well done. Super mix

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David you are a master of that vocaloid! It is sounding more and more organic! Outstanding job on that.

You are starting to show me a way that I can sing!

Super job!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Impressive stuff.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
dcuny Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Good work. You have really mastered this "style". I love that the AI is kicking the guy out. I wish you could do a video where the animated woman is kicking the real life guy out.

Hi, Sean.

Of course, you're assuming she's not kicking an AI out of her place. wink

Quote:
Great lyrics, by the way.

Glad to hear that! laugh

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195