Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
A song needs a mixture of styles.
However, when it comes to the second style, the mixer cannot display the instrument name of the second style.
This makes an error when I set bar setting again.
Hope to improve here.
Mixer displays the name of the new style instrument

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
This would be an excellent item to add to the wishlist section.

It has been requested before, but a fresh reminder could get some momentum again.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
This would be an excellent item to add to the wishlist section.

It has been requested before, but a fresh reminder could get some momentum again.

VideoTrack:

Thank you for your support.
Thank you for your great help to me.

I recently downloaded the early introduction videos on YouTube to my computer and study hard

But I can't find the operation video of multistyle

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Another vote of support for this suggestion. Presumably, not incredibly difficult to implement.

+1

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Another vote of support for this suggestion. Presumably, not incredibly difficult to implement.

+1

Probably more difficult than we think. The inner workings of BIAB have changed to the point PG Music can provide features that have been requested for years. Not yet so with naming MultiStyles and Mixer instruments when they change midstream of a song.

MultiStyles pre-date RealTracks and have been a significant tool by PG Staff for many years. They use MultiStyles a lot in demos and also to be included in the Styles they make. I have more than 9,000 Styles in my StylePicker and nearly 1,000 are MultiStyles, most are older MIDI based MultiStyles. That's almost 10% of the total styles I possess. That being said, with that much emphasis and that many MultiStyles in my BIAB package and the fact that MultiStyles have been used for so long, Naming the Style changes and instrument changes have never previously been implemented.

It's possible the many upgrades in code and new programs that are allowing BIAB to be changed in ways that never before could be upgraded, this feature may be just around the corner. Don't know but Swingbabymix has put it the Wishlist and I'll give it my full support too.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Probably more difficult than we think. The inner workings of BIAB have changed to the point PG Music can provide features that have been requested for years.

I'm not sure I can follow and agree exactly, Charlie. What happens is this: At a certain bar, the programmed Bar Settings changes over to a different style. The program knows what the new Style is and exactly what instruments the new style uses. It implements all of that, but the displayed instruments in the mixer just keep showing the instruments from the original style. There's actually no guesswork or convoluted coding required. When the Style changes, just show the instruments used by the new style on the tracks in the mixer. The program knows what instruments are used by every style. Or have I missed why this could be difficult?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
<< When the Style changes, just show the instruments used by the new style on the tracks in the mixer. The program knows what instruments are used by every style. Or have I missed why this could be difficult? >>

I agree with everything you've said but I do think you've missed the 'why' listing the instruments and Style changes are difficult. Regarding 'why is it difficult', I can't say but nor can I imagine that such an obvious and simple coding change would not have led to an upgrade to include this task in all of the decades MultiStyles have existed and been used so extensively by PG developers. My speculation is this simple extra step results in audio glitches during the transition between the Style Changes.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
<< When the Style changes, just show the instruments used by the new style on the tracks in the mixer. The program knows what instruments are used by every style. Or have I missed why this could be difficult? >>

I agree with everything you've said but I do think you've missed the 'why' listing the instruments and Style changes are difficult. Regarding 'why is it difficult', I can't say but nor can I imagine that such an obvious and simple coding change would not have led to an upgrade to include this task in all of the decades MultiStyles have existed and been used so extensively by PG developers. My speculation is this simple extra step results in audio glitches during the transition between the Style Changes.

Style change is very important. I absolutely believe that mixer display Title Change and tone change are necessary.
The style has changed, invisible, inconvenient to operate and unreasonable.

I hope it can be realized as soon as possible

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1 for displaying the names of multiple instruments and styles during playback.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
<< The style has changed, invisible, inconvenient to operate and unreasonable. >>

I totally support displaying the names of the additional instruments and styles but I've used MultiStyles for years and there's never been a single instance that I've found how it works to be inconvenient to operate or unreasonable. I can see by the PartMarkers the style change is coming and which style will be playing. I can see the instruments that will be playing before I ever play the song. When it plays, I can hear if it's playing correctly. It's a breeze to use just as it is but I agree it would be cool if the display was improved but that it's not, does not affect the operation in any negative manner.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
<< The style has changed, invisible, inconvenient to operate and unreasonable. >>

I can see by the PartMarkers the style change is coming and which style will be playing. I can see the instruments that will be playing before I ever play the song.

Yes, you can know that the style will change through partmarkers.
Each style is generally represented by five musical instruments, such as numbers.
Style a is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Style C is 6,7,8,9,10
If I want to use bar setting to control style a, I will find that it is still 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 of style C in bar setting
If you join the real track, it will be more troublesome
Or join the normal track. When is the sound not controlled in the bar setting? I haven't tried this yet.
I discussed the problem of sudden mute when the style changes
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=93809&Number=690091

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C

Originally Posted By: swingbabymix

I can see by the PartMarkers the style change is coming and which style will be playing. I can see the instruments that will be playing before I ever play the song.

Yes, you can know that the style will change through partmarkers.
Each style is generally represented by five musical instruments, such as numbers.
Style a is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Style C is 6,7,8,9,10
If I want to use bar setting to control style a, I will find that it is still 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 of style C in bar setting
If you join the real track, it will be more troublesome
Or join the normal track. When is the sound not controlled in the bar setting? I haven't tried this yet.
I discussed the problem of sudden mute when the style changes
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=93809&Number=690091

Bar settings are easy to do although one can't 'see' the instrument. If you create the MultiStyle and song, you'll know what's playing. The idea is to encourage users to assimilate complex arrangements with many instruments and styles within the BIAB program without having to use a DAW.

Here's a video showing that not only using PartMarkers and MultiStyles but also using Bar Settings and additional RealTrack instrument changes. If a user wanted to have even a more complex arrangement in this video, they could continue to add instruments onto the 11 tracks that aren't in use in the video as well as applying volume automation for muting/ unmuting instruments.

Plus, each of the 24 tracks can have up to 10 additional RealTracks placed throughout the track. The MultiStyle demo is a really simple arrangement and I barely touched the surface in the demonstration to making the existing arrangement more complex.

Charlie

MultiStyle Arrangement Demonstration

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

It's wonderful. Hope to see the video.
I opened the link. But it can't be downloaded.
Can I send it to this?
https://ufile.io/

or

youtube?

Yes, it can be judged by ear, but it is not as convenient as directly at the MIXER station
In addition, there is nothing right in the bar setting now.
If there are multiple styles of display, I think it’s a reasonable requirement to have the name of the musical instrument in the style that MIX plays together.

Last edited by swingbabymix; 12/13/21 11:58 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

I have tried many times just now. Show file does not exist

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Charlie,

For some reason, the link took me to my own DropBox Home Page, even though that is clearly not the link URL. It's as though DropBox redirected the link.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k9jwfiw31y9sexn/AABMm-0HnrMJHy7y0l5CtAsBa?dl=0

See if this works. The original link works from here. Sorry for the issue.

Please post if this link doesn't work.

Charlie

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k9jwfiw31y9sexn/AABMm-0HnrMJHy7y0l5CtAsBa?dl=0

See if this works. The original link works from here. Sorry for the issue.

Please post if this link doesn't work.

Charlie

I have downloaded it. I listen carefully to what this video is saying, and I will reply later
thanks you

Last edited by swingbabymix; 12/13/21 02:11 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

I've finished watching the video
。 Thank you.
The whole video gives me the feeling that a very simple thing has become very complex.
The reason is that BIAB can't see the change of mixer instrument in multi style mode.
In that case, it's better to export all wavs, directly delete the sound in studio one, retain the sound and increase.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
<< The whole video gives me the feeling that a very simple thing has become very complex. >>

No, that's backwards. Very complex arrangements have become incredibly simple and easy in BIAB. It's also much faster. And, most of 2022's new features isn't so much being new as it's new technology that has allowed PG Music to revive and renew processes bringing them out of the menus into the forefront.

Granted the technology is more advanced, the sounds are better and there are a whole lot more styles and RealTracks, SuperMidi tracks and loops that weren't around years ago, but many of these techniques and processes were. Micro chords are new and unique and Playable RealTrack Hi-Q instruments with actual RealTrack samples gives us tracks that are unbelievably good but mixing midi riffs into RealTracks dates way back.

I don't think it's no longer better to export all wavs to a DAW to comp tracks, cut/paste, edit out glitches and manually manipulate multiple renders of the same instrument into a single performance. For many, it's surely more comfortable, but that doesn't equate into better.

BIAB 2022 is more like capturing a complete live performance into a recording than ever before. An arrangement no longer has to be pieced together section by section, phrase by phrase and note by note to be commercial, radio ready and professional sounding. Complex and cohesive productions that are complete and repeatable can be saved as a small SGU file.

Regarding 'seeing' the instruments in the Mixer, someone can turn off the Mixer so it can't be seen at all and that will have no effect to still arrange and mix the song. The meters are the most useful aspect of the Mixer but they aren't necessary because the audio has already been recorded and there's no clipping to deal with. The gain and volume can be adjusted from the Audio Editor. Seeing the name of an instrument is irrelevant to arranging and mixing in BIAB. Arrange and mix from the Chord Sheet and Audio Editor.

I'm not suggesting or recommending anyone change their workflow. I'm not criticizing anyone's workflow. I'm just saying a song can be composed, arranged, mixed and produced in BIAB 2022 that's indistinguishable from a comparable song done in a DAW using BIAB generated tracks.

Charlie

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
<< The whole video gives me the feeling that a very simple thing has become very complex. >>

No, that's backwards. Very complex arrangements have become incredibly simple and easy in BIAB. It's also much faster. And, most of 2022's new features isn't so much being new as it's new technology that has allowed PG Music to revive and renew processes bringing them out of the menus into the forefront.

Granted the technology is more advanced, the sounds are better and there are a whole lot more styles and RealTracks, SuperMidi tracks and loops that weren't around years ago, but many of these techniques and processes were. Micro chords are new and unique and Playable RealTrack Hi-Q instruments with actual RealTrack samples gives us tracks that are unbelievably good but mixing midi riffs into RealTracks dates way back.

I don't think it's no longer better to export all wavs to a DAW to comp tracks, cut/paste, edit out glitches and manually manipulate multiple renders of the same instrument into a single performance. For many, it's surely more comfortable, but that doesn't equate into better.

BIAB 2022 is more like capturing a complete live performance into a recording than ever before. An arrangement no longer has to be pieced together section by section, phrase by phrase and note by note to be commercial, radio ready and professional sounding. Complex and cohesive productions that are complete and repeatable can be saved as a small SGU file.

Regarding 'seeing' the instruments in the Mixer, someone can turn off the Mixer so it can't be seen at all and that will have no effect to still arrange and mix the song. The meters are the most useful aspect of the Mixer but they aren't necessary because the audio has already been recorded and there's no clipping to deal with. The gain and volume can be adjusted from the Audio Editor. Seeing the name of an instrument is irrelevant to arranging and mixing in BIAB. Arrange and mix from the Chord Sheet and Audio Editor.

I'm not suggesting or recommending anyone change their workflow. I'm not criticizing anyone's workflow. I'm just saying a song can be composed, arranged, mixed and produced in BIAB 2022 that's indistinguishable from a comparable song done in a DAW using BIAB generated tracks.

Charlie

yes. Everything is great. I fell in love with BIAB. Everything is fine. However, I really hope that when changing the style, I can see the instrument name of the new style in mixer and bar setting.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,690
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200