Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi everyone,

It took me more than a while to return to the forum with a new song AND with Scott Collingwood on the lead guitar. Our third song till now!

I have faced a lot of problems with both my computers (a Windows and an Apple) and couldn't do a thing. I nearly got depressed. Well... in a way I was. and I'm very sorry I couldn't react to all your posts on 'Just a song', but I told you why.
This song I made with Scott was nearly finished when these problems started. I needed to fix one second of the lead guitar...

But enough of those problems. The song is ready and that is all that matters. It is called: Going West
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/going-west-render?si=0eaa84ec31d347c3864562ad5600dca0&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

It deals with how we work 'together', as you can see on the cover of this song on SoundCloud. And the state of our earth. A bit ironic, but with humour too. In a way a Christmas song; best wishes for 2022
And Scott did his utmost to gave the song that lovely touch only he can do.

We hope you enjoy it,
Hans and Scott

The lyrics:
Going West
(c)HWBerkhout, 30 nov 2021

It took some time, but we achieved it:
All wildlife perished, you see?
Oceans turned into plastic seas
and the woods are history

I wished it was a bad dream
Gone when I wake up
That ice caps aren't melting, (or just a little bit)
And the air is pure again

Chorus1.1
"We must go South", World leaders shouted
But we just dropped out
"Why not West", some asked
Oh, not again another route

=solo=

The pandemic made it worse
Wrenched societies all around
And vaccines causing dissension
Reason was knocked down

Chorus1.2

=solo=

-Bridge-
So here we are. On our scorched earth
Where nothing grows no more
We're superior on disagreeing
Our selfishness grew like never before

Chorus2
"To the West" people shouted
"No, to the North" others replied
"Let's go South" I heard yelling
"Why not West" some cried

"No, to the East, that would be something"
Where ever that might be
We're going West, a majority roared
"and throw all politicians in the sea"

This happens
if we want to save
this World...
(with disagreements during this last chorus)
==================================================================================
Technical aspects:
Bestand:Going West_031221E100v1.SGU
Key=E, Tempo 100 bpm
Style: LO-FI.STY (Lo-Fi Hip Hop Beat w Acst Guitar)

RealTracks in song: ~~903:Bas, Electric, Smooth Cool Sw16 100
RealTracks in song: ~2503:Piano, Acoustic, hold 85
RealTracks in stijl: 3402:Guitar, Acoustich, Rhythm, Sw 140
RealTracks in song: 3750:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopFunkySoulLowSingleNoteChorus Ev 095
Loop in Song: HipHop\Old School - bouncy_hop_90_a drums sw16.wav
RealTracks in song: 1945:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Groovin Folk Gel 85
RealDrums:SmoothCoolBrushes: a: Snare, HiHatb: Snare, Ride

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Ha! laugh

I especially liked the ending.

Sorry to hear about your computer problems - I hope everything is working now.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hans & Scott

Nice tune - pretty guitar throughout with Scott's trademark sound.

Nice vocal - excellent use of the extra vocal parts towards the end and a good set of lyrics.

Worth the wait.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Hans ...

Very happy you are back. And yeah, those dang computers can be a real pain in the a$$! Fortunately, I can usually repair my own.

Love the song! Good message with a lot of fun at the end. Scott's guitar work is always spot on. Good work by both of you.

Take care ...

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans, & Scott,

Nice.

Good "message song". Good BAND. You got some great JT-ish licks out of the GroovinFolk guitar - cool.

Scott guitar work fits perfectly.

The change-up @ 2:30 is well done.

A good, emotional vocal. It is a bit high-EQ-ish. If you roll off the high (completely) you'd get a bit more "warmth" and it would tuck into the mix a little more (not that it pops out at all).

Good stuff.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
WOW, Hans & Scott, what a wonderful production. Scott, your playing is always so fitting and perfect. I like the acoustic, too, but it seems to surprise me each time it comes in. Hans, you're such a treat to the ears, and your lyrics are always so meaningful. The changes and the dynamics (not to mention those cool background yellers) really propel this melody into a pleasurable listen.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello David,

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, I liked adding that too.
My wife thought it had something from Montey Python. I think you know who they were.

And about the technic stuff; the main things are working, but it's still not alright. Never faced these strange things before. And I thought I was clever enough to solve these things. That was not the case...

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Ha! laugh

I especially liked the ending.

Sorry to hear about your computer problems - I hope everything is working now.

Have a nice day,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Al, Floyd and Marty for the comments on the guitar work. Hans put together a very cool backtrack and vocal which made finding a guitar melody much easier.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well, well, Hans, you surely brought that terrifying message over. And you did it very well and very strongly.
You chose a perfect band to transport your good vocals and I think those spoken parts at the end were just awesome - what an ending.

And Scott - well, that was simply a very fine piece of guitar playing.

Thanks, guys, for this fine collab.

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Excellent song , crisp and up front.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good collab, "We're superior on disagreeing," I liked that line, and the last line, too, of course. Nice guitar work, great job overall.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hans & Scott,
A joy to listen to but sad that you must sing about such a depressing subject.

Loved the vocal ping pong.

Well done.

I feel your pain with computers.
Over the past few years I've had two crash on me.
I decided to build my onw, it was easier than I imagined.

Good luck with your computers, they can be our best assistant until they turn on us.

moto

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Al, I know how to deal with computers, normally, but this situation was a bit extreme.
I will skip the details, but when the first one was working again, suddenly the Apple als chrashed and gave no more sound.
And that was the computer with my DAW, so the mixing proces.
I had to buy me a new one. But it took a hell of a time to install the software. Still now I have maybe 60% installed.

So, but thanks for your comment on the song. It was nice to work with Scott, although Canadians are a bit strange (I bet he will say the same about Dutchies).
It was fun doing that end. At first, it wasn't my intention, but because of all those computer problems something crept in me and than I did this. And I liked it, so did Scott.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello Hans ...

Very happy you are back. And yeah, those dang computers can be a real pain in the a$$! Fortunately, I can usually repair my own.

Love the song! Good message with a lot of fun at the end. Scott's guitar work is always spot on. Good work by both of you.

Take care ...

Alan

Kind regards,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Peter,

Thanks for your nice compliments and about the ending of the song. I wrote to Al (above) how I came to this. I am not planning to do this in every song. So don't be dissapointed then...

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Hans & Scott

Nice tune - pretty guitar throughout with Scott's trademark sound.

Nice vocal - excellent use of the extra vocal parts towards the end and a good set of lyrics.

Worth the wait.

Peter

Nice weekend,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

Although Scott anwered some of the posts I want to thank you in person for your comment on the song.
I think that eq thing is, maybe, caused by the acoustic guitar. Scott and I were discussing your post on that point.
He had that suggestion, because he thaught the vocals were good as they were.
Whatever, you notice we take you very serious and need this kind of comment to improve (if possible).

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans, & Scott,

Nice.

Good "message song". Good BAND. You got some great JT-ish licks out of the GroovinFolk guitar - cool.

Scott guitar work fits perfectly.

The change-up @ 2:30 is well done.

A good, emotional vocal. It is a bit high-EQ-ish. If you roll off the high (completely) you'd get a bit more "warmth" and it would tuck into the mix a little more (not that it pops out at all).

Good stuff.

fj

Have a nice weekend,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice one gents,
Yes, the vocals are "crisp"..the spoken side parts aren't though.
Scott's lovely playing competes with your vocal when they are both centred...two strong melodies in the same space.
Interesting band, good dynamics too.
Good song.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hans & Scott,
Excellent musical collaboration! You tackled serious subject, yet presented in a gentle way. Neat acoustic + synth backing. Scott's guitar blended very well. Strong vocals. Very good mix, especially considering all kinds of elements involved. Cool talk over disagreements at the end smile Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Hans,

So glad you got your technical problems worked out.
What a great message song! One of the best I've heard on here.
Also love your voice.

Much enjoyed.

Josie

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Very interesting song!! Pretty heavy, but nothing wrong with that.....thought provoking lyrics!! Like Scott's influence on the sound too!!! Nice job guys!! Merry Xmas!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Hans and Scott,

I'm a bit late getting here, haven't had much time for PGMusic lately.

Good song, Hans!

Very creative, love the vocal bit at the end with the other voices smile And Scott adds the perfect guitar parts as per usual.

Enjoyed!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195