Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
MultiRiff has rich functions. Including the newly added silence function.
Hopefully, MultiRiff can control Bar a little bit more finely. You can drill down to the four beats of each bar. It is possible to change the input method, such as the control of 1, 2, 3, 4

Or it is already possible, but I don't know how to do it?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2021-12-21_104254.jpg (138.27 KB, 457 downloads)

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
In my opinion, this is likely too fine of resolution to be effective. It's better to use the Audio Editor to select, cut and paste sections of audio clips from an audio file or multiple audio files. You have the same 'control' that you're seeking with your request but can perform the task with equal precision but with better clarity, precision and speed.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix

It's already possible, but not with multiriffs, you need to use the audio editor window.

In the attached example I've changed the second note of the bass with a guitar realtrack.

It's a nice feature but, like multiriffs, it seems to work only with realtracks, not with realdrums.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Regenerate.gif (1.51 MB, 26 downloads)
Last edited by Cerio; 12/21/21 11:54 AM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Cerio

It's already possible, but not with multiriffs, you need to use the audio editor window.

In the attached example I've changed the second note of the bass with a guitar realtrack.

It's a nice feature but, like multiriffs, it seems to work only with realtracks, not with realdrums.

I try not to use the audio edit function.
Because it will change the color of the orbit and become non renewable.
This is a bass. After using edit, the green color changes,
I think multiriff is very easy to use. It's perfect if it's more elaborate

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
Are you saying you would want a unique riff generated for each beat of the measure, or a specific beat? I guess I can see how that might work for a bass part, but I think most RealTracks are phrase-based recordings, so they tend to work more naturally when the full phrase can play itself through.

Chuck Wiggins

BIAB 2023 Win UltraPak, Cakewalk, Windows 10 Pro
Custom AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, Focusrite Scarlett 4x4 interface

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chuckwigginsmusic
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1cGfP_abwQWwhX6TRcYsg
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C

I try not to use the audio edit function.
Because it will change the color of the orbit and become non renewable.
This is a bass. After using edit, the green color changes,
I think multiriff is very easy to use. It's perfect if it's more elaborate

Yes, the downside is that when you edit a track, it becomes an "artist track", i.e., a wav file taking up space on your hard disk. On the other hand, that feature offer a much finer control over your track than the feature you're requesting, since you can regenerate single notes, musical phrases or entire bars.

Take a look here:

https://youtu.be/x2die9oLLto?t=536

(This was for BIAB 2021, with 2021 you can use the feature in any track, not only in utility tracks)

PS: I'm not saying that having multiriffs for 1-4 beats wouldn't be great, just answering to your question:

Last edited by Cerio; 12/22/21 07:04 AM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< Yes, the downside is that when you edit a track, it becomes an "artist track", i.e., a wav file taking up space on your hard disk. On the other hand, that feature offer a much finer control over your track than the feature you're requesting, since you can regenerate single notes, musical phrases or entire bars. >>

Artist Performance Tracks aren't really a 'downside' when all of the benefits it provides are considered including the same disk space that would be required to do the same function in a DAW. In fact, an Artist Performance Track can save disk space by avoiding the possible creation of multiple renders of a RealTrack to edit in a DAW.

Also, it doesn't have to be a Wav file, it can be saved as a m4a file. An Artist Performance Track is a completely unique track that's no longer the RealTrack audio, midi or SuperMidi data and in regard to RealTrack audio, whatever editing is done to the file, isn't contained in the RealTrack audio file that was recorded by a session player. Any edit makes the audio file new and unique and it has to exist somewhere.

Its existence is no different than had a user made a UserTrack or purchased additional RealTracks or converted a midi/SuperMidi track to audio.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
[quote=swingbabymix]

Yes, the downside is that when you edit a track, it becomes an "artist track", i.e., a wav file taking up space on your hard dis.....

Why do I want to be more refined. In fact, what I need is silences. I find it very convenient to use multiriff to go to silences.

In addition, sometimes some small melodies and small rhythms need to be more refined.
The current situation is that we can only start from the beginning of the bar. I don't like it. I like to go a little bit later and a little bit less. This kind of short riff will make the music more modern.
Mainly I think it is not difficult to achieve this now.
Just add more options, right? It's a pity that the official can't see this article.
How to get the official attention to my article? You help me grin

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Artist Performance Tracks aren't really a 'downside' when all of the benefits it provides are considered including the same disk space that would be required to do the same function in a DAW. In fact, an Artist Performance Track can save disk space by avoiding the possible creation of multiple renders of a RealTrack to edit in a DAW.

I was going to say that BIAB is not a DAW and that, to me, having wav files around is a PIA, because blah blah blah, but...

Also, it doesn't have to be a Wav file, it can be saved as a m4a file.

You're absolutely right, I had forgottten this feature. Thanks! smile

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
[quote=swingbabymix]

Yes, the downside is that when you edit a track, it becomes an "artist track", i.e., a wav file taking up space on your hard dis.....

Why do I want to be more refined. In fact, what I need is silences. I find it very convenient to use multiriff to go to silences.

In addition, sometimes some small melodies and small rhythms need to be more refined.
The current situation is that we can only start from the beginning of the bar. I don't like it. I like to go a little bit later and a little bit less. This kind of short riff will make the music more modern.
Mainly I think it is not difficult to achieve this now.
Just add more options, right? It's a pity that the official can't see this article.
How to get the official attention to my article? You help me grin

It's easier, more refined and doesn't have to start from the beginning of a bar if you use the Audio Editor. Edits can start a little bit early and go a little bit late using the Editor. You're right, it's not difficult to achieve this now but using the Audio Editor and not the Multiriff. The Audio Editor is not difficult. If you understand how to edit (cut/copy/paste, cross fade, fade in, fade out, mute, unmute, silence and delete and similar tasks) in Studio One then you will understand how to do it in BIAB's Audio Editor.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

It's easier, more refined and doesn't have to start from the beginning of a bar if you use the Audio Editor. Edits can start a little bit early and go a little bit late using the Editor. You're right, it's not difficult to achieve this now but using the Audio Editor and not the Multiriff. The Audio Editor is not difficult. If you understand how to edit (cut/copy/paste, cross fade, fade in, fade out, mute, unmute, silence and delete and similar tasks) in Studio One then you will understand how to do it in BIAB's Audio Editor.

However, if you use the audio editing in BIAB, the track will change color, so you can no longer follow the chord changes.
I actually only want to use Multiriffs to achieve a more flexible mute function, instead of having to start from the beginning of each BAR

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< However, if you use the audio editing in BIAB, the track will change color, so you can no longer follow the chord changes.
I actually only want to use Multiriffs to achieve a more flexible mute function, instead of having to start from the beginning of each BAR >>

That's correct and it's normal behavior. Your idea conflicts mutltiriffs, editing and arranging. You must come to the understanding that the editing you do does not exist in the BIAB program or anywhere on your computer before you create that edit. Edits change color because you have created new audio material. In order to keep the editing changes you've made, this new audio must be preserved somewhere and saved in a way that BIAB recognizes it and loads it whenever you open that file. To fix this, decide on what the chords will be and input those chords to use, then apply multiriffs and edits because they are arranging tools.

PG Music has only served to confuse you by adding the Silence button to the Multififf page. It is only there for the convenience to use RT1152:Silence into your arrangement. It does not create a true multiriff. By definition, a muliriff creates multiple renders of an audio phrase (up to 20) where each render differs from every other render. Using silence does not make multiple and different versions of silence. There is only one silence and it is not an audio phrase. The Multiriff tool is not designed to do the job. It's the wrong tool. There is no shame is learning to use BIAB the way it's designed. Multriff is not an editing tool. It's an arranging tool. BIAB has a very robust Audio Editor and works very much the same as every other audio editor. The Audio Edit Window is the proper place to edit audio.

The proper place to silence the audio on a track is either using Mute/Return to Normal in Bar Settings on the tracks that accept the function or on any track using the Audio Edit Window and editing techniques or using Studio One's editing features to do it. Both BIAB's Audio Editor and Studio One's audio editors can select and silence regions that are less than a bar or beat in length.

In BIAB, both automation or the Silence option in the Edit Menu can select and silence regions less than a beat in length.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

The proper place to silence the audio on a track is either using Mute/Return to Normal in Bar Settings on the tracks that accept the function or on any track using the Audio Edit Window and editing techniques or using Studio One's editing features to do it. Both BIAB's Audio Editor and Studio One's audio editors can select and silence regions that are less than a bar or beat in length.

In BIAB, both automation or the Silence option in the Edit Menu can select and silence regions less than a beat in length.

OK!THANK YOU!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
Good points, Charlie. While I agree with the fact that using the audio editor offer many advantages, I also think that a finer control for multitrifs is a reasonable request, and could be useful for some users in certain situations. The key, IMO, is here:

However, if you use the audio editing in BIAB, the track will change color, so you can no longer follow the chord changes.

So, here goes my +1

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
It appears to me you both are describing the microchords/motif functionality. Particularly when it comes to silencing at the single beat level. Tobin demonstrates that in several of the videos PG Music has published since the 2022 release.

Another point, the track can be reset to follow chord changes if that's desired.

But also understand that if you have a RealTrack and change the chord progression, RealTracks, midi and SuperMidi all regenerate to adjust to the chord progression changes. That's normal behavior. If you want the riff to hold while you make changes to the bar by changing chords, that can be done too. You're working out of sequence to edit audio and freeze the track only to continue to alter the chord progression and song structure. Can you explain what a useful, certain situation would be that's specific to multiriffs?

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/24/21 12:56 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

Another point, the track can be reset to follow chord changes if that's desired.

How to reset? I still can't. Can you tell me with pictures? thanks

----

In fact, the reason I want to do this is just to make it more convenient to mute certain passages.
The reason why I want to rely on MultiRiffs is because Bar settings cannot control all the tracks and it is a bit cumbersome to set up.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
Can you explain what a useful, certain situation would be that's specific to multiriffs?

That feature would be nice simply for the sake of ease of use. Having the option to regenerate 1, 2 3, or 4 beats from the new multirrifs windows would be, IMO, an intuitive and logic feature, and asking for that feature is, also IMO, reasonable, even if all you can do from the multiriff window is also doable from the audio editing window and even if I, personally, probably wouldn't use it.

Flexibility is key in modern UI design. Every user uses BIAB in a different way, and there are so many different uses of the program as there are users. Being able to do the same thing in different ways and from different (but intuitive) places is a sign of a well-designed, modern, and flexible UI. You're an experienced user who have been introduced to the new BIAB feautres progressively over the years, but think for a moment in a new user who may not know what "Artist tracks" are, and who may not understand why after editing a bar in the audio editor window, the name of the track turns orange, the name of the instrument change to "Artist", and a WAV file appears in the project's folder. Trying to think from this perspective rather than from the perspective of the experienced and advanced user usually helps to desing better and more intuitive UI's

Also, this feature wouldn't breqak any existing functionality, it just would add another option, so I don't really think there's anything wrong with this request.

On the other hand, if the new multiriffs window only adds redundant functionality, what's the whole point, in your opinion, of this new feature? (I'm not even sure if you're implying this, but, but if you are, I'm really interested in your opinion smile )

Last edited by Cerio; 12/24/21 11:50 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Can you explain what a useful, certain situation would be that's specific to multiriffs?

That feature would be nice simply for the sake of ease of use. Having the option to regenerate 1, 2 3, or 4 beats from the new multirrifs windows would be, IMO, an intuitive and logic feature, and asking for that feature is, also IMO, reasonable, even if all you can do from the multiriff window is also doable from the audio editing window and even if I, personally, probably wouldn't use it.

Flexibility is key in modern UI design. Every user uses BIAB in a different way, and there are so many different uses of the program as there are users. Being able to do the same thing in different ways and from different (but intuitive) places is a sign of a well-designed, modern, and flexible UI. You're an experienced user who have been introduced to the new BIAB feautres progressively over the years, but think for a moment in a new user who may not know what "Artist tracks" are, and who may not understand why after editing a bar in the audio editor window, the name of the track turns orange, the name of the instrument change to "Artist", and a WAV file appears in the project's folder. Trying to think from this perspective rather than from the perspective of the experienced and advanced user usually helps to desing better and more intuitive UI's

Also, this feature wouldn't break any existing functionality, it just would add another option, so I don't really think there's anything wrong with this request.

On the other hand, if the new multiriffs window only adds redundant functionality, what's the whole point, in your opinion, of this new feature? (I'm not even sure if you're implying this, but, but if you are, I'm really interested in your opinion smile )

Well, first thing, if PG Music happens to integrate this wish into a 'new' feature, I'll joyfully embrace it and integrate it to some degree into my work flow. I recently deleted a post of my opinion about what I considered an unnecessary feature that PG staff did in fact include into an update release thus rendering my opinion irrelevant.

Knowing that PG Music is capable of completing disregarding any opinion or reason I may offer against a wish feature, here's my thoughts to why single beat multiriff's aren't feasible.

Let's start with how a riff is defined. A google search turned up many different slight variations of this statement from Marshall.com:
"Whether you call it a riff, hook, lick or lead line, the 'riff' is arguably the most important aspect of guitar. A 'riff' is a succession of notes played on guitar to create the main melody of a song"

Phrase, melody line, succession of notes and similar statements all support the fact that the BIAB Multiriff feature is neither designed for nor the correct tool to fulfill this wish even though some think it should simply for "the sake of ease of use." When comparing the Multiriff feature to the Microchord/Motif feature, It's no contest nor is it intuitive or logical. Considering the fact that BIAB already has the flexibility to accomplish this task in several ways using other tools that specifically excel at editing at the beat level or finer resolution as can be done in the Audio Edit Page. To me, editing audio is intuitive and logical to use an Audio Editor. Both the microchord/motif tool and the Audio Edit Page are specific tools for audio editing.

The Multiriff tool is designed to generate phrases, riffs, licks and a succession of notes. It's designed and intended to search for appropriate audio phrases and create up to 20 multiple versions. By design, it will fall short of users, single beat or finer resolution editing.

Speaking of RealTrack audio, the 2022 version of BIAB offers more than 3,500 hours of RT audio. The Multiriff tool has access to ALL of that audio so I can't possibly calculate how many individual beats that's available to a user attempting to quickly, intuitively and logically achieve single beat editing. It's overwhelming. The Multiriff tool generates audio, it doesn't edit it. A user is arranging, not editing. Here again, by design, it will fall short of users, single beat or finer resolution editing.

Thinking from he perspective of a new user being unaware of what "Artist Performance Tracks" are and their purpose is a baseless point because that's no different than this new user is equally unaware of microchords/motif, the multiriff tool and the Audio Edit Page. Which also is no different to even the most experienced user because no one has any previous experience with these new features of microchords/motifs and the completely redesigned multiriffs. There's also many experience users that for years never opened or used the Audio Editor in BIAB preferring to edit in their favorite DAW. The learning curve is there for all of us.

In my singular opinion, there is no point for this 'new' feature that really isn't 'new'. It is redundant functionality that falls short of all of the other methods it's redundant to.

Charlie

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
Thanks for your elaborate answer Charlie, I still think it's a reasonable request for the reasons I gave before, but it's always interesting to exchange opinions in a civilised and reasoned way.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

In my singular opinion, there is no point for this 'new' feature that really isn't 'new'. It is redundant functionality that falls short of all of the other methods it's redundant to.

Charlie

I just want more detailed control, I think this is not difficult to achieve. grin
Personally, I still don't like audio editing in BIAB.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,671
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200