#692860 12/21/21 09:24 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
C
Cerio Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
C
I've tried to record some audio in 2022, but I have encountered a problem whcih I've never experienced before. When recording a second audio take, your previous recording won't get muted.

To replicate:

1. Open / create a song
2. Click on "Record audio", use standard settings (see attached image)
3. Record some bars > Stop > OK Keep take
4. Press Play > Your audio will sound as expected
5. Repeat step 2 to record a second take.
6. Problem > The previous recording will sound while you're recording

I have tried with WAS, MME and ASIO drivers, but no luck, and "Overdub underlying audio" is un-checked.

Am I missing something? Can anyone replicate?

Thanks!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
record audio options.png (12.08 KB, 246 downloads)

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Veteran
Veteran
Two questions:

Are you recording to the same track each time?

Are you disabling "Retain Audio Past Recording"?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard14 Audio - Keep Take.jpg (11.23 KB, 239 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
C
Cerio Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
C
Yes, I'm recroding to the audio track each time. Enabling / disabling "Retain audio past rexording" doesn't make any difference.

Does recording a second audio take work as expected for you?

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Veteran
Veteran
The second time you record do you leave the button default at "Record From The Start" or change the button to "From Bar #" and then enter the bar number to start from?

I normally do not record in BiaB however I created two test recordings to accurately respond to your question.

Test # 1 I left the button at default. I created two four bar recordings. The two recordings were merged into one recording that was four bars long.

Test # 2 Recording 1 I left the button at default. Recording 2 started at bar 5 of chorus 1. The two recordings played one after the other.

Band-in-a-Box treats test 1 as a sound on sound recording and test 2 as punch in recording.

C
Cerio Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
The second time you record do you leave the button default at "Record From The Start" or change the button to "From Bar #" and then enter the bar number to start from?

I normally do not record in BiaB however I created two test recordings to accurately respond to your question.

Test # 1 I left the button at default. I created two four bar recordings. The two recordings were merged into one recording that was four bars long.

Test # 2 Recording 1 I left the button at default. Recording 2 started at bar 5 of chorus 1. The two recordings played one after the other.

Band-in-a-Box treats test 1 as a sound on sound recording and test 2 as punch in recording.

Thanks Jim! smile

Yes, for the second take I leave the default options (Record from the start).

On your test #1, I suppose you had "Overdub underlying audio" activated for the second take, isn't it? In that case, I would expect to hear the previous take as reference when recording, of course. But if that option is deactivated, recording a new take while you're hearing the previous one is definitely not what I would expect in any audio program, since it makes the recording process virtually impossible

Last edited by Cerio; 12/22/21 07:22 AM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Veteran
Veteran
After I recorded bars 1 to 4 I heard my first recording during playback. During the first test, bars 1 to 4 were recorded both times and my second recording was merged with the first recording. During the second test I listened to bars 1 to 4 as a lead in to my second recording and the second recording did not start until bar 5.

Notice my "Overdub during playback" checkbox is grayed out so I can't select it. I suspect that is a response to the audio interface and may vary from interface to interface. In my tests I was using a USB gaming headset with microphone and headphone capability. It is not unusual to both listen and speak at the same time while gaming.

Sound on sound use to be a common technique. The technique was invented by Les Paul in 1949 +++ Les Paul Sound-On-Sound +++. He is the only person that's in the Rock & Roll,Country and Inventor Hall of Fame.

For a fun little sound-on-sound test try recording a count of 4. Only record the numbers 1 and 3 the first pass and the numbers 2 and 4 the second pass. Do you stay on the beat? Are the two recordings equal in volume and tone? It's more difficult than you think until you become proficient but it can be done.

C
Cerio Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
C
Other users have reported exactly the same problem with MIDI, it looks like a bug:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=693151#Post693151

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Veteran
Veteran
MIDI appears to be somewhat problematic in 2022.

I did respond to the audio recording question in the thread you linked to. I suspect in that thread the user is wanting to use punch in recording. The settings for punch in recording defaults to 1 bar before the chord sheet starts.

The punch in recording text boxes are unlabeled. From left to right they are chorus, bar, beat and tick.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Two words! Real band.

I’m not trying to be difficult but while BiaB can handle basic recording RB does it with style. And hey it’s free! Oh yeah it opens up BiaB song files.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
And Mac users don't have access to RealBand so it is not a solution for them.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Yeah, Jim you right about that I have 2021 on my Mac. 2022 on my win 10. Right now while 2022 is still percolating I do most serious projects on the Mac. I also use Studio one on the Mac as well, and the plugin is solid there. I can’t wait till the new features are in Mac as well cause the multiriff is awesome so far.

While I don’t use RB much anymore I do suggest those new to BiaB who want to “stretch out” their project, RB is a great companion.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
C
Cerio Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
Two words! Real band.

I've tried RB in the past, but it didn't work for me. I've used Reaper for many years and I also don't pretend to use BIAB as a DAW, I'd just like to record my instrument with BIAB while I'm practising at home from time to time, that's all. This is basic functionality, but it seems to be broken with this new version.

By the way, this is not the only issue I've found when recording audio in 2022. This feature used to work reasonably well with 2019, but it's a little bit unstable (at least in my system) with 2022.

Last edited by Cerio; 12/23/21 01:06 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
PG Music Staff
Online Content
PG Music Staff
Quote:
I've tried to record some audio in 2022, but I have encountered a problem whcih I've never experienced before. When recording a second audio take, your previous recording won't get muted.

To replicate:

1. Open / create a song
2. Click on "Record audio", use standard settings (see attached image)
3. Record some bars > Stop > OK Keep take
4. Press Play > Your audio will sound as expected
5. Repeat step 2 to record a second take.
6. Problem > The previous recording will sound while you're recording

I have tried with WAS, MME and ASIO drivers, but no luck, and "Overdub underlying audio" is un-checked.

Am I missing something? Can anyone replicate?

Hello Cerio,

This is working as you describe, and I think that it is working correctly and as intended, unless I'm missing something.

If you choose to "Take Again" at the end of recording, the recording is discarded and you do not hear it during your second take. If you choose to Keep Take, you'll hear the audio data if you record again. If you chose to keep the take and don't like it, you can click on the track | Track Actions | Erase. Alternatively, if you want to do a few takes and choose one later, you could mute the track and record to a Utility track. It is possible that it works slightly differently than 2020 and earlier in this respect. For one thing there weren't additional audio tracks to use.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
C
Cerio Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music

This is working as you describe, and I think that it is working correctly and as intended, unless I'm missing something.[...] If you choose to Keep Take, you'll hear the audio data if you record again. [...] It is possible that it works slightly differently than 2020 and earlier in this respect. For one thing there weren't additional audio tracks to use.

Hi Andrew, and thanks very much for responding. Yes, I've just tried and 2022 works differently in this respect:

With 2019 ("Overdub underlying audio" is un-checked):
- If you record any audio (ex. bars 1-4) and then record again (bars-1-4) you don't hear the previous take while recording > That's expected behaviour > OK

With 2022 ("Overdub underlying audio" is un-checked):
- If you record any audio (ex. bars 1-4) and then record again (bars-1-4), you hear the previous take while recording > Definitely not what I would expect. Why would anyone want to hear a previous (discarded) take when recording a new take? That makes re-recording a new take a nearly impossible task. What's more, punch-in recording is also nearly unusable, since (again) hearing the previous take while you're trying to record a new one is really, really confusing.

I'm sure I'm missing something, and probably there's a reason for that design change, but honestly, I find it kind of weird and counterintuitive, and I don't know of any other audio program behaving that way. May I ask why this has changed?

(Of course there are workarounds, it's just that I can't see the logic behind that design change.)

Thanks!

BIAB 2024, latest build.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Cerio, describe what pops up at the end of a take, I.e. what options are presented. Do you get a pop up with any choices. What your describing sounds to me like you are getting a choice pop up or maybe wording has changed so it no longer clear.

Last edited by Rob Helms; 12/23/21 01:24 PM.

C
Cerio Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
Cerio, describe what pops up at the end of a take, I.e. what options are presented. Do you get a pop up with any choices. What your describing sounds to me like you are getting a choice pop up or maybe wording has changed so it no longer clear.

Not in from if the computer now, but I'm pretty sure that it happens no matter the options you choose. If you can, please try to record a second take in any track following the steps described on my first post, and let me know if you're able to record a second take without hearing the previous one.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I’ll test that as soon as i can tomorrow

T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
Hi

Yes, this is not working as it should.

Unchecked overdub means the previous recording attempt will not be used and hence it should be muted. Currently it's played.

Checked overdub then the previous recording is to be heard and merged with latest recording if the take is ok.

cheers
Thomas

(on the latest win10/64)

On the latest Win version
C
Cerio Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: thomasc
Hi

Yes, this is not working as it should.

Unchecked overdub means the previous recording attempt will not be used and hence it should be muted. Currently it's played.

Exactly. Thanks for trying!

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,631
Posts735,242
Members38,520
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185