Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
JonC Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello:
I recently purchased, & having difficulties getting BIAB 2021 (UltraPAK+ upgrade) & RealBand MIDI to work properly/sound decent.

BIAB 12 came with Virtual Sound Canvas, which seemed to sound great, but I haven't been able to get BIAB 2021 to sound anywhere near as good using Coyote WT or Sforzando... I'm sure it's user error.

First - RealBand, I get an error msg. when I try to use Sforzando: "Your copy of PG Music Inc Band-in-a-Box Sounds is not activated...".

So, how do I "activate" my BIAB sounds??

Second - BIAB (32&64-bit), I get errors pretty-much every time I choose a style with the stylepicker. (File|Load Style from Stylepicker)... RealDrums & RealTracks not found. Now, I didn't install on the C: drive, but all seemed to install properly. I didn't see any separate install for RealDrums & RealTracks.

Does this mean I need to purchase more (then the UltraPAK+) to enable any of the styles using RealDrums &/or RealTracks??

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks in-advance!!

Music lover veteran, Roland Aerophone AE-30 Newbie
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forums.

You mention BIAB 2021, is this correct or is it the latest version, BIAB 2022?

Also, did you buy this directly from PG Music? If so, there would have been activation information with your purchase. This may have come in an email. Both Realband and Band In A Box need to be activated after they have been installed.

Out of curiosity, did you install the programs to your computer's hard drive?

Virtual Sound Canvas has not worked with BIAB for many years now. Coyote WT is what PG Music replaced it with. If you go to the link below, Peter Gannon talks about Cakewalk and how to install the freely available VSTi/DXi softsynth, TTS-1. I recommend getting this as it will give you another option for MIDI sounds.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=511593#Post511593

With sforzando, it is not a General MIDI sythesiser (like Coyote WT and TTS-1). This can only be used for single instruments.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
plus 1 for the tts1 - it's roland sounds just like the virtual sound canvas. there is a difference between RB 2021 and RB 2022. 2022 gets activated automatically with BIAB but for 2021 (which is still 32 bit) you have to activate it separately - see noel's advice about codes. did you buy from PG? if you didn't you can register your purchase and i think you get an activation code but i'm not sure.

as for your style picker errors i'm pretty sure you as you didn't install on drive C, BIAB and RB are looking in the wrong place for your realtracks and realdrums

i think this is how to do it but as i'm not at my music pc i can't check

Go to your RealTracks/Drums Preferences Button and set it to Custom folder location - i think you'll be able to browse to the drive you selected.

Click Rebuild & Fix in Picker Windows.

Then Realband Options > Preferences > Song Generation > Paths

should find your realtracks and drums

Last edited by Bob Calver; 12/24/21 01:10 AM.
Expert
Expert
Hi JonC

You can purchase Sound Canvas Va from Roland. It costs £59 (in the UK)

I have attached pictures.
It works great with Biab as long as you use the 64 bit version.

I am using Windows 11 with no problems.

Hope this helps.

George

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

Expert
Online Content
Expert
I found the whole Roland Cloud, where they send you for SoundCanvas VA so confusing and ambiguous that I just walked away.

Does one need a Roland Cloud membership? For what? Is SoundCanvas included or extra? What are all these other things ... would I need them, want them, get them, or what?

It seems like so many music software companies like to throw random information at us with few explanations. It drives me mad.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 12/24/21 05:13 AM.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Noel, all

I just wonder where I find this TTS-1 VST in Cakewalk.
Having installed cakewalk, I find the vstplugins folder empty.
In the Cakewalk Core folder I see several dll files. Is TTS-1 VST/DXI one of those in the screenshot?

Thanks for your advice.
Nothing is shown in VST dialogue that resembles TTS-1.
I am at a loss.

Cheers
Stefan

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
TTS1.png (45.6 KB, 235 downloads)

DAW: Studio One 5.1 Pro
Interfaces: Steinberg UR22, Scarlett 8i6
Windows 10 64bit Home Edition
Microsoft Windows Version 2004 (Build 19041.685)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Museeker
Hi Noel, all

I just wonder where I find this TTS-1 VST in Cakewalk.
Having installed cakewalk, I find the vstplugins folder empty.
In the Cakewalk Core folder I see several dll files. Is TTS-1 VST/DXI one of those in the screenshot?

Thanks for your advice.
Nothing is shown in VST dialogue that resembles TTS-1.
I am at a loss.

Cheers
Stefan

Here is what is in mine (no TTS-1 either):

Cakewalk VST Plugins.PNG (4.44 KB, 225 downloads)
Last edited by MikeK; 12/24/21 06:21 AM.

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
I found the whole Roland Cloud, where they send you for SoundCanvas VA so confusing and ambiguous that I just walked away.

Does one need a Roland Cloud membership? For what? Is SoundCanvas included or extra? What are all these other things ... would I need them, want them, get them, or what?

It seems like so many music software companies like to throw random information at us with few explanations. It drives me mad.

You can purchase a lifetime licence for £59 no need to add any extra cloud subscription.

George

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

J
JonC Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott

I did the same, @Gordon Scott - I'm a music hobbyist, & really not interested in paying for subscriptions. I too, find the whole process vague & quite maddening! This wasn't so dad-blasted complex, 10 years ago.

I'm a video professional, & the same thing has happened with video editing platforms (Avid/Adobe) switching to a subscription model - I find that those subscriptions are "The gift that keeps on giving"!

Veteran
Veteran
George,

Thank you for this information. The softsynth looks like it's well worth the money. I remember looking at a hardware version of this a few years ago and tossing up whether to get it. I had no idea that Roland had captured it in VSTi/DXi format.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Paul and Mike,

My TTS-1.dll is in...

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared DXi\TTS-1

It's an installation from 2012 so that might not be today's path. What I suggest is to use Microsoft's search function to locate any "TTS-1" (without inverted commas) on your system.

Because the TTS-1 synth is a DXi (and not a VSTi), it should show up automatically in BIAB in the MIDI driver VSTi/DXi choices after BIAB is restarted. Just double-check that BIAB is set to scan the registry for DXi software. (See image below.)

Regards,
Noel

scan for dxi on bootup.JPG (54.57 KB, 213 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
I downloaded the TTS1 recently from Bandlab.
It comes with Bandlab Cakewalk as a free download.
There is a download button on the main page https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
That will install the bandlab assistant. One has to register an account in Bandlab.
From the bandlab assistant one need to login and from there one can download Cakewalk which includes the TTS1.
On my W11 PC it landed on C:/program/Cakewalk/SharedDXi/TTS-1/TTS1-dll

Then I had to select TTS1 in BIAB from the MIDI audio driver setup in the Syntheziser/soundcard option menue (TTS1 appers in the list of options)

I can't remember if I let TTS1 stay in the Cakewalk folder or if I also copied into some BIAB folder.

Expert
Expert
Tts1 is a dxi synth
Biab will find it automatically. Look in the drop down menu next to reroute midi to dxi/vst synth

J
JonC Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for getting back, @Noel96! Yep - I purchased BIAB 2022 (NOT 2021, per my Subject) via the PGMusic website, I've activated BIAB, but don't see a way of independently activating RealBand... I assumed that it activated with BIAB.

I installed to a hard drive on my PC, but not C:, an SSD, for fast booting (but kind-of small).
I haven't figured-out how to add images to these posts from a local source (Enter an Image button asks for an URL), but I'll assure that BIAB & RB both have the proper locations entered, for both RealTracks & RealDrums.

I again also did perform another database rebuild, but am still getting an annoying yellow box in the lower right saying saying that the specified RealTracks (& sometimes RealDrums) are not found. There's a pile of folders in both the RealTracks (215 folders) & Drums (134 folders) subfolders, which are under the proper bb folder - same drive. These subfolders break-out into a bunch of .BT1, .WAV & .WMA files in bb|Drums folder - .BT1 & .WMA files in bb|RealTracks folder.

FWIW: I'm newly-retired, so I thought I'd re-acquaint myself with playing music again, after many years without... That's when I discovered that BIAB 12 wasn't going to work-out for my current computer situation... which worked great, back then... I'm getting old, it all seems way too complex now!!

Growing pains, I guess.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Paul and Mike,

My TTS-1.dll is in...

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared DXi\TTS-1

Hey Noel, you are correct of course. laugh

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Veteran
Veteran
Cakewalk by Bandlab has had a web based installer stored on Google Drive +++ HERE +++. The web based installer bypasses the requirement use Bandlab Assistant. After the initial download and installation, Cakewalk by Bandlab can be updated from within the program.

Background:
Bandlab Assistant allowed Cakewalk to be quickly integrated into the Bandlab Technologies umbrella. Bandlab Technologies manages the Bandlab Assistant from Singapore while Cakewalk by Bandlab is based in Boston, MA, USA. Time zone restraints made it difficult to quickly resolve issues. The web based installer is maintained by Cakewalk.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
The issues surrounding a high quality virtual sound canvas integrated with BIAB (as it should be) goes back 20+ years and is extremely frustrating. It is inconceivable to think that PG Music do not realize that a solid sound canvas is essential for an app such as this. We have TTS -1 actively supported by Dr Gannon but it must be scrounged from the Bandlab/Cakewalk platform and installed when unnecessary. Forte seemed to die a 32bit death? Sforzando (another web freebie) was added as a feature!! Some styles still require an Amplitube freebie??!! To crown it all PG Music advertise a Download Manager as a highlighted upgrade for 2022 - many software apps by default added that capability to the run of the mill setup process years ago? ... and we still don't get a solid sound canvas for BIAB/RealBand!

Expert
Expert
i think you are being a little harsh on PG Music as you'll find that synthfont64 is supplied with BIAB - give it a try - as a GM synth its already set up if you select the vst..........i'm not at my music pc to give you the exact file location but if you search for synthfont64.* your pc might find it in the BB directory

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Jon, since you're newly retired and been away from music for some time, I'll try to catch you up.

The Sound Canvas VSC is over 30 years old and Roland stopped supporting it years ago which is why there is no 64 bit version. PG has absolutely nolthing to do with it, it's unfair to complain to them about it. Same for the new Roland VST on the Roland Cloud site. Completely owned by Roland, how it's paid for and used is all up to them, not PG.

There are tons of good VST's available but the problem is none of them are free. They're owned by somebody and if PG were to include them they would have to pay some kind of royalty which means they would have to charge you. They're doing the best they can by linking to the old TTS-1 which is still free and is also about 30 years old and then they were able to include Sforzando which is a different kind of midi synth. It uses soundfonts and some are free and some you pay for. There is a user here who posted a soundfont that works ok, if you're interested someone will link it for you.

Here's the thing though about midi. We don't know what you expect or how picky you are. Some people here are fine with the TTS-1 and that's great. For me as a gigging musician for 50 years, it sounds pretty fake and weak to me which is not surprising since it's also very old technology. It will get you by for a quick test to hear if a midi style is what you want but nowhere near good enough for any kind of serious production even to just play for friends. A $150 Casio keyboard you can pick up at Best Buy for a grandchild sounds better than that. Of course that's my opinion, YMMV.

If you really want and need high quality synth sounds then people pay big money for big name instrument VST's. Kontakt, Steinberg, Garritan are just a few. You can start at $300-$500 but it can easily go to thousands. That's what you're looking at if you really want true high quality midi sounds.

Since PG starting producing the Real Tracks/Drums few users even care about midi any more but some do which is why Biab supports it. The poor sound quality of freebie GM softsynths is the reason the RT's were invented in the first place for the large majority of users. The total number of RT's is in the thousands now in every style of music you can think of. Since you've not used Biab for years maybe you're not familiar with the RT's? If so, you may find you don't care about midi any more.

What you may not realize yet is with Biab 2022 PG has created playable Real Tracks That's probably the single best thing they've done since the RT's were invented 12 years ago. The big complaint against the RT's is you cannot make them play a specific riff or bass line or guitar lick to fit a certain song you're trying to put together because they're audio files, not midi. You can now alter what an RT plays by using either the Piano Roll window or Editible Notation. PG just posted new vids showing how it works. Not all RT's can do this yet but they've started with 50 and more will be created going forward.

Catching up with digital audio music production after being away for years can be a challenge but now that you're retired what better time to learn something new? Yes, Biab is way more complex now but so is getting players together, rehearshing them then paying for studio time. Go for it and have some fun!

You mentioned you can't post pictures. You have to use the full Reply window you get by clicking on Reply, not by simply typing in the box at the end of the thread. In that Reply window is File Manager. Click on that and you can Browse to wherever you stored a screenshot. You can do multiple pics at once, when you're done hit Attach. If you hold down the Windows Key and then hit PrintScreen it automatically puts it into a Screenshot folder under Pictures in your Windows Directory. The only gotcha in using the File Manager is the pics don't show up in the Preview, you can only see them after you Submit it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
You've got it all backwards Roy. I know it sort of "looks" like PG is supporting or is affiliated with all these DXi's and VST's but they have nothing to do with them. For the TTS-1 all Peter is doing is letting everybody know a half decent GM plugin is available at Bandlab. That's it. As for Forte that's another one that came and went and nobody has heard anything about it in at least 10 years. I do know when it first came out all the guy did was find free samples on the web and put them into this simple DXi program he created. And it was only 32 bit. It can be a real challenge to remake a plugin to 64 bit. If there's no money in it, why would someone bother? He sold quite a few of them to us users for $39.95 I think and then as the years went by, no updates, no communication, no nothing. For all I know he died in a car crash.

The Sforzando is basically the same thing just in sfz format. You can find free soundfonts on the web and load them in. That's all Forte did at the time. People think there's some huge market for GM soundsets. 95% of music producers including guys like us sitting at home messing around could care less about GM or General Midi. All it's really used for is for people who send midi files to each other. If one guy used a Roland synth and the other guy uses Yamaha, they're not compatible so GM was created. works fine as far as it goes but GM is very limited. It only has 128 sound patches and maybe a dozen of those are sound effects like hand claps, helicopter, door slam, dog barking, etc. It's for gaming and really simple midi files. A full blown synth like one of my hardware keyboards or something like Kontakt has literally thousands of patches. Want an overdriven guitar, they'll have 20, 30 or even more to choose from. GM gives you a grand total of 1 as in ONE. Same for an acoustic piano, a Rhodes, basses, whatever. I think GM gives you 3 basses, an acoustic, a finger pick and a fretless. That's it.

I'm not knocking anyone, many Biab users only have basic requirements for midi. As long as it sounds decent they don't care about having a choice between three Yamaha models of piano, 3 sizes of Steinway, a couple of Baldwins both full grand and uprights and other makes, 100 different types of guitars including 6 string, 12 string, Dobro's hardbody, semi hollow, from all the manufacturers like Gibson, Gretch, Martin, Fender whatever. These are not just names for show, they actually recorded all those instruments and converted them for use in their proprietary software.

That level of choice is not for everybody and that's fine. If you're one of those then use the TTS-1 or Sforzando, either one could be all you need.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,449
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195