Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
I think she was offended by the triviality, in her eyes, of the request.

I think of two events:

An acquaintance on stage responding sharply to a comment from the audience - "Some of us do this to keep a roof over our heads and put food on the table for our wives and children".

Someone signing on as one of the roaming musicians for the London Olympics in 2012 being asked "What do you do for a living?", answering "I'm a musician" and getting the response "I know that, but I want to know what do you do for a living". Twice.

Sometimes one despairs.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Someone signing on as one of the roaming musicians for the London Olympics in 2012 being asked "What do you do for a living?", answering "I'm a musician" and getting the response "I know that, but I want to know what do you do for a living". Twice.

It is kinda funny in a way .. some people don't think it's really work.
Those people have no idea.

I've worked just as hard on a mix or learning a part as I have on programming an app.
They are both enjoyable to me, but both are still work.

Recently someone complained about how much I said it would cost to do what they wanted .. my response was "go ahead, you do it then".

/Not only is it work, but you have to know what you are doing (ie training/education) to even attempt it. That means putting time in, which has value

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I was playing a bar in Erie PA about 1991. We were big at that club so people knew to get there early. On a random Friday night there was a guy with a horrible Hawaiian shirt and his dowdy, mousey wife sitting at the first table directly in front of the stage left speaker. That was also the side of the stage I was on. About 4 songs in he yelled up that it was too loud. T turned to the guys with my hands up in a "hold on" gesture and said to him "You got here an hour before we started. When you got here EVERY table in the room was empty. You picked THAT table in front of the PA and you didn't make the correlation between distance from a speaker and volume? You have somebody cut your food for you, don't you?" Everybody laughed at both the joke and the guy at the table. About 3 songs later he yelled something else really stupid up at me. I smiled and said "Buddy, you do NOT want my complete attention." and we finished the set. Midway through the second set he interrupted again and yelled "Hey what do you do for your real job? I KNOW it isn't music." Again, smiling, I said "You're right. Most of the time I am downtown lining up guys to bang your wife (I didn't say bang but had to here)." He immediately stood up and started to come toward the stage. Our security guy, a LARGE former cop and general badass, stepped in front of him and said "Bad idea. Sit down and let the band buy you and your wife a drink." He didn't say another word.

The next night? Yep. He was right back at that same table. (With a different ugly Hawaiian shirt.) I got the feeling he liked the attention. At the end of the night he came to the front of the stage and waved up to us and said "You guys must work really hard at this because you are really good! When are you here again?" I made sure it was ME who addressed him and said "You can actually be a part of making that happen. Tell Angie (the owner) you liked what you heard and you will be back whenever we play." Shook his hand and they left.

People tend to see that 3 sets of 60 minutes each and not seem to grasp that it takes time to learn the music, or see the mountain of PA and individual gear that we lug in and out. And that doesn't take into account the individual practice time. If you do it right, it is absolutely real work.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I may have figured out a loophole for you married guys to buy whatever you want. Or this may be a long standing practice. I have never been married long enough to find out.

Just left your wife do the same thing!

When she complains about you buying a new guitar, just point to the dining room table that seats 10 that she bought even though you haven't had dinner guests in 9 years. Or mention the membership to the gym she can't even find with GPS. Or the Wedgewood china set for 8 that has never been out of the cupboard.

That should settle it!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I may have figured out a loophole for you married guys to buy whatever you want. Or this may be a long standing practice. I have never been married long enough to find out.

Just left your wife do the same thing!

When she complains about you buying a new guitar, just point to the dining room table that seats 10 that she bought even though you haven't had dinner guests in 9 years. Or mention the membership to the gym she can't even find with GPS. Or the Wedgewood china set for 8 that has never been out of the cupboard.

That should settle it!

Yep that will settle it!

In lieu of flowers send a donation to eddiesdumbideas.com
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Yep that will settle it!

In lieu of flowers send a donation to eddiesdumbideas.com
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

That's to help fund the doghouse he'll need to build for himself, right? grin

Realistically, this did work fairly well with my previous relationships. My exes had some very expensive hobbies - one collected dolls worth multiple thousands of dollars, and another was a fellow musician with a collection of saxophones, piano, cello, charango, etc... They sometimes made what I spent on instruments look like peanuts!

It also made my divorce very easy - you don't touch my guitars, and I won't touch your dolls grin grin grin

I work here
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
This next little present is something that only a few of us here in the forum will recognize. It has been on my shopping list for well over a year. This was demoed by my friend Simeon on Youtube were I first heard it. To my ear, this is the best Trumpet VI out there. I have already found a place for it as the melody instrument in a cover of Elvis Costello's She that I worked on all day today. OK, enough of a build up, without further ado grin

For anyone interested in where that Blue Street Brass Trumpet ended up... You can hear it in the instrumental break after the second verses. grin https://soundcloud.com/dan-hoch-784636941/she?si=0e3c64f9cfd6412fabd0022d06fd0a4a&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So all that remained from the (seemingly) endless series of pictures from the studio redo, here is a video explaining the wiring. You should be able to see it from the link, but Youtube is often stupid with permissions. Someone tell me please if you can't get to it.

The wiring game

Note that is hidden so it doesn't show up on my channel at all, just from the link.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/22/22 12:06 PM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Video comes across well.

Makes me think of two things. First, this instructional video will be great to leave for the beneficiaries of your last will and testimont. And second, I really need to open up my wallet and buy some more stuff while I still can.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
First, this instructional video will be great to leave for the beneficiaries of your last will and testiment.

LOL! Everything is cataloged into a spreadsheet with serial numbers, price of the item when new, and what I paid for it. Guitars, synths, all of it. My executor knows who the guy is that owns a music store who will help her price everything for the estate sale. That spreadsheet includes TVs, computers, cameras, lenses, everything. She also knows who to contact to format all my hard drives before sale, the cop to contact to find legal buyers to buy my firearms, and things like one of my best friends being allowed to pick ONE guitar to take, who is named to receive one of y keyboards. and things like that. Whatever profit is made in that estate sale will be donated to the shelter where I got the dog before this one, though I have to amend that to split it between 2 shelters so the one where I got this dog is included.

As far as you buying stuff, between Reverb and you local Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace if you use The Book of Face, it's out there! Just tell the kids they will not be getting money when you die.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Neat and practical layout.

By half way through I was convinced that this video was made so that you could remember how you put it together in case something stopped working grin

And What?! No Lava Lamp crazy

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
LOL! Everything is cataloged into a spreadsheet with serial numbers, price of the item when new, and what I paid for it.

I did the same with all my computer/music gear for insurance, photos/spreadsheet.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Cool video. My only tip is to do cell phone videos in landscape mode. Watching the narrow width recording only works if you're watching it on a phone.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
By half way through I was convinced that this video was made so that you could remember how you put it together in case something stopped working.

Well, I DID sketch it out in Paint and save a copy.

Quote:
And What?! No Lava Lamp?

Honestly there's a story about that. There was a guy named Cecil Ramirez who was a jazz dude in Sacramento. When Covid shut down touring, like many musicians he started streaming with a tip jar. He got a lot of Brian Culbertson's people so he had a pretty mice following.

And then...

One Sunday night he streamed at 7pm as usual.

From a hospital room.

He went in for some tests and it was determined that he had pancreatic cancer. I don't know what he opted to do about treatment, if he was in chemo or not. Brian started a Gofundme to help offset his medical expenses with a goal of $20,000. Donations started coming in. Well, Cecil didn't make it, and the donations continued to help his widow with the bills and the funeral and all of it. It ended up just over $35,000. Even my cheap azz donated, because he was truly just a great guy who was great to his fans.

One of the running gags on his stream was the lava lamp. Fans were going out and buying lava lamps and sending pics showing them off. I ended up with 3 of them, because I am a smart azz that way, and teased him that while he is immeasurably a better musician than I am, that I had more lava lamps. He was also a level 2 sommelier and I sent him a bottle of wine from a local vineyard, explaining that the wine from the Great Lakes is pretty good too, just like "you Napa Valley snobs!"

He came home from the hospital, and so weak he could barely speak, he continued his Sunday streams. I tuned into one and he looked like a skeleton. I had to click it off immediately. Gamer that he was he wanted to stream until the very end for his fans.

When I got word that he died, I turned off those lava lamps, and they will remain off in his memory.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/22/22 02:44 PM.

2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,736
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191