Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
My current guitar instructor graduated from a major music college. He had a LOT of music theory and composition within his studies.

Instructors are like bartenders, find the one with the skills to teach you what your goals are and you communicate well with.

...Deb

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DSM
My current guitar instructor graduated from a major music college. He had a LOT of music theory and composition within his studies.

Instructors are like bartenders, find the one with the skills to teach you what your goals are and you communicate well with.

...Deb

We can only make suggestions and offer good, worthwhile advice. Something about 'leading a horse to water'.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: DSM

...Deb

Actually I think the best teacher is the internet
In addition, BIAB and SCALER are both good tools.
Our environment is different from yours.
Strictly speaking, I don't have a good teacher here, people who just want to make money, nothing more. This is determined by the social environment. Housing prices are too high, prices are too high, and medical treatments are too expensive.

I can only choose the Internet. grin

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps a couple of good entry level books on music theory would make life easier for you.

A music theory book and BiaB could be a good combination for self-learning.

Then, if you take to the entry level books, there are more advanced books to explore.

Books are like teachers, find one that explains in the way that you understand.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
swingbabymix,

Here is a song I wrote a few years ago. The link will take you to a video of BIAB playing its chordsheet. You'll be able to see some slash chords in action. After listening to it tonight, I can here that I need to revisit the production in the near future. Hopefully, though, it's good enough at present to give you some idea of how I use slash chords.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/143978481

Explaining what I've done...

As mentioned, I approach using slash chords from a 4-part classical harmony perspective.

The song is written in the key of G major. This means my chords are...

I = G, ii = Am, iii = Bm, IV = C, V = D7, vi = Em

From classical harmony, a substitute for Chord IV is Chord ii in first inversion. In the key of G, this is Am/C. The first instance of this chord appears in bar 3.

To get to Am/C in bar 3, I've used a first inversion G (namely, G/B).

Bars 12, 13 and 14 keep the bass the same while the chord changes above it. This is called pedal point and it's a nice way to create some tension to add musical interest.

In bar 21, 22, 23 the chord progression changes from G to Em. Using G/F# means that I can step my bass down the G major scale an go from G to E... that is, G F# E in the bass.

In bar 20 there is a chord progression that goes G D7 G and it finishes a section. This is a I V7 I progression and is called a perfect cadence. In classical harmony, the first I chord is nearly always played in second inversion because it adds tension that ultimately helps create a satisfying feeling of completion.

In the key of G major, second inversion of chord I is G/D. This is why the chord progression is G/D D7 G.

Bar 69 is Chord IV in second inversion. By using this chord on a G bass, it means that bars 68, 69, 70 use pedal point again to help finalise the feeling of ending the song.

I hope this helps offer a little bit of insight.

All the best with your journey!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Well, I had a lot of books regarding music theory. I did not really understand any. That changed when I started playing the piano. Suddenly I could hear "Ah, this is that" or "oh, this is how that works". Now, still more beginner than intermediate, I think I would be able to use my DAW or Band in a Box to create little pieces of music on my own. Far from masterpieces, but still ...
As far as teachers go (piano teachers), not all are good, not all are bad. Among the good ones, one needs to find the one that fits best for the individual targets. I found a bad one next door and a very good one on the internet.

“Musicians”: UltraPak 2024
DAW: StudioOne Pro 6.5
"Instruments": VSTs and REs
Notation: Notion 6
Interface: NI Komplete Audio 6
Mic: RØDE NT1-A
Controller: Panorama P6/KAWAI VPC1/Atom
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Noel96
As mentioned, I approach using slash chords from a 4-part classical harmony perspective.

Thank you for doing this. I find your explanations challenging to follow and well worth it.

I can’t hear the bass line on my iPad but I’ll listen on a better sound system later. =8^)

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran

Originally Posted By: swingbabymix

This statement from our friend needs to be fully appreciated. I am in the US. That reveals a lot about my background and perspective. I don't know where SBM is located. But this statement gives a pretty good hint to places around the world where the "...environment is different". And I don't mean you guys down-under or across the pond. Or in Michigan. grin The resources, liberties and opportunities we take for granted are not available everywhere.

So if this little forum can shead some light into darker places it should give us all a good feeling at this time of year. Makes me want to take the time and go back and clarify SBM's misconceptions with Ionian versus Aeolian modes from a prior posting. smile

I can only choose the Internet. grin

And even the internet can be and is censored.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
swingbabymix's admission he doesn't play an instrument explains a lot - that's why i asked. seems like he's trying to learn BIAB and music basics at the same time. how is he trying to make music? entering chords off sheet music? or composing original stuff? that's difficult if you don't know the basics of scales and chords.

'Ionian versus Aeolian modes from a prior posting' as musicstudent quotes must be like trying to write a novel with a word processor and a dictionary in another language.

all i can say is that as guitarist i find i learned a lot more theory (scales, key signatures and changes and related chords) than some keyboard players who could read the dots. obviously as they got more advanced our knowledge coincided and they started flying away. so as a grounding i'd suggest guitar - basic three chords and the related minors take you quite a long way.

but not learning an instrument because the local 'teachers 'can't make music' is bizarre. what are they making? smile

Last edited by Bob Calver; 12/27/21 04:55 AM.
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent

This statement from our friend needs to be fully appreciated. I am in the US.

As am I, and Mr. Mix's complaints about "society" could be coming from anyone here. "People only want to make money, housing prices are too high, medical treatments are too expensive"? Imagine that, how could anyone learn music in such a place?

On the other hand, lots of people, from all cultures and walks of life, also think you can learn anything by surfing the Internet. Some of them wind up joining the Flat Earth Society and burning down 5G towers. I remember Jenny McCarthy getting a big round of applause when she told Oprah she got her medical expertise about vaccines and autism from the "University of Google".

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 12/27/21 06:52 AM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
...got her medical expertise about vaccines and autism from the "University of Google".
That gave me a big laugh. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Love it!

...Deb

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Noel96

For example...

|I |IV |

= |C |F |

I rearrange this to become....

|C C/E |F |

Alternatively, as a piano player, I'm quite likely to go directly from C in root position to F as a chord inversion, particularly if I have a bass player handling the bass line, so:
C-E-G moves to C-F-A, rather than the F-A-C one would expect for root position.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Do we know if the OP has ever created a complete song? The posts seem much more like someone playing with the software. Maybe if we knew what he was trying to create we could help more. In one post he mentioned some songs but I'm still none the wiser as to what sort of music he's trying to make.

If its pop or country I wonder where he came across the concept of modes as opposed to simple majors and minors.

BIAB is for making music and by simply answering technical questions I'm not sure we're helping much.

Can you let us know what kind of music you want to make swingbabymix?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,632
Posts735,245
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 180