Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi all...

It's beginning to feel like I'm spending more time trying to get stuff to work than I am making music. Very frustrating to be sure.

Here's the latest head scratcher:

I've done a song in BIAB made up of 4 MIDI instruments and 1 audio instrument. (realdrums) Everything is sounding great.

My next move is to bring the song into my DAW - Reaper - with the PG plugin. It all goes in where it should.
However, I can't hear any of the MIDI tracks - only the audio track (realdrums) The meters are all moving in the MIDI tracks, I can record in the MIDI tracks but I just can't hear anything.
This problem is the same in Cakewalk and RealBand.
I can bring Sample Tank 4 into Reaper and Cakewalk and it records and sounds as it should, and I can hear and edit the MIDI notes I have created.

Any help would be so appreciated

/Bobby

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
The plugin can playback MIDI so that is why you see the meters move. However, by default the plugin MIDI soft synth is disabled so the sounds the plugin generates will not conflict with the sounds the DAW MIDI soft synth generates.

Go to File > Preferences > DAW Settings then scroll down. Enable the Embedded Synth.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01 Plugin MIDI Soft Synth.jpg (66.42 KB, 207 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Jim... thanks so much for your help...

It seems that my BIAB plugin doesn't have the option you show me in your picture... the "enable the Embedded Synth" option isn't showing in my version of the BIAB plugin.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB Screenshot.JPG (32.8 KB, 172 downloads)
Last edited by bobbyt9999; 12/28/21 04:33 PM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I believe Jim may be showing a recent beta which is still being debugged. Stay tuned.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Yeah... Jim's screenshot doesn't look like mine. Not sure what to do next?

frown

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi bobbyt9999, what version of the plugin are you running? In the new versions it is written at the bottom left of the plugin. Alternatively you could go to File | About, and the version number will also display there.

Best,
Chantelle
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Bobby, I'm using version 4 that is part of the 2022 release. I suspect you may have version 3 introduced in 2021.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Bobby, I'm using version 4 that is part of the 2022 release. I suspect you may have version 3 introduced in 2021.

That would actually be good news since BIAB-VST V3 (most updated version) works better with Reaper than the new BIAB-VST V4.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Bobby, version 4 is part of the 2022 release and is not available separately.

I understand not wanting to upgrade since you have 2021.

Perhaps the 2022 program only upgrade will work for you. I asked Sales early exactly what is in the program only upgrade and was told it is Band-in-a-Box, RealBand and the Plugin. However, I would verify that before agreeing to purchase.

Traditionally the program only upgrade is available only during the release sale.

Clipboard01 Program Only Update.jpg (19.2 KB, 119 downloads)

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice

Last edited by bobbyt9999; 12/30/21 01:48 PM.
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
And so, I just bought the 2022 Program upgrade. And you were right, it was $49... $56CAD.

Again, thanks... I'll let you know how I make out with the new plugin. grin

/Bobby

Last edited by bobbyt9999; 12/31/21 01:48 AM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I understand what your saying Bobby. However, in PG Music's defense, the plugin relies on Band-in-a-Box running as a background task to perform many of it's functions. RealBand also relies on Band-in-a-Box running as a background task to perform it's functions related to Band-in-a-Box features. That's why Band-in-a-Box, RealBand and the plugin are all released at the same time.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bobbyt9999
Opps... Sorry, Jim... I posted before I read your last post.

I'm going to check out the upgrade options. But I still don't think it's very fair to have to pay for the plugin.

Thanks for all your help regarding this matter. So much appreciated!!!

/Bobby

I'm not trying to start a war but other companies do the same thing. When Kontakt upgrades you must buy it to get the VST. Kontakt's free updates include VST's updates, just like PGM does with their free updates.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Mario... No fear, there's not gonna be any wars starting. I'm usually a pretty easy going old fella grin

If you noticed, I took down the rant that I posted because at the time I was understanding that I was going to need to pay $179USD in order to get the newer plugin. Thankfully Jim pointed out that I could just upgrade the program, plugin included, for $49USD - $56CAD. So, my bad for jumping the gun too quickly.

/Bobby

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
And now... to get this thread back on topic...

It saddens me to say that the newer plugin hasn't cleared up my problem of not hearing my BIAB midi tracks in Reaper or Cakewalk. The sounds are there but just can't be heard. There's just one audio track in my song (drums) and that can be heard. Obviously I'm still not getting some setting right. I'll post another screen shot in a bit.

/Bobby

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Bobby,

I hope you will discover some of the features introduced this year like motifs and micro-chords help make the program upgrade a worthy purchase. I'm glad to see the program upgrade includes RealBand and the plugin.

I'm looking forward to hearing your music!

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Jim... yeah, I'm sure there's a lot of stuff in the 2022 version that I'm going to love. To be honest, I really don't mind the $49 charge to upgrade at all. I'm sure that it's well worth it.

/Bobby

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
BIAB-VST 3.0 was working in Reaper, but has been broken with V4.0. We are waiting on a fix. I pointed that out earlier today in this tread. So you were warned.

Last edited by MusicStudent; 12/29/21 04:24 PM.

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for this, Dan.

I can now see that a fix to version 4 is needed and I take comfort in knowing that it's in the process of being fixed. Now, when I bring my BIAB song into Reaper or Cakewalk, I open the BIAB file in the plugin, and then generate the song within the plugin, it just abruptly shuts down either Reaper or Cakewalk.

And yes, you were very correct when you say that I you forewarned me that version 4 has a few bugs. I can be a very impulsive buyer sometimes. I see something and I just HAVE to have it without doing even any basic researching on it.

/Bobby

Last edited by bobbyt9999; 12/31/21 02:06 AM.
Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Bobby, is it after dragging the MIDI into Reaper that the audio didn't play? If so, that is normal. Reaper doesn't automatically assign an instrument or plugin to a track, so the MIDI has nothing to play through. You mentioned that adding Sampletank caused it to work, right? That's what you'd need to do for each track.

As for version 4.0.0 not working in Reaper, the developers are aware of the issues and are looking into them.

I work here
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran

It saddens me to say that the newer plugin hasn't cleared up my problem of not hearing my BIAB midi tracks in Reaper or Cakewalk. The sounds are there but just can't be heard. There's just one audio track in my song (drums) and that can be heard. Obviously I'm still not getting some setting right. I'll post another screen shot in a bit.

/Bobby

Bobby, if I read you correctly you want to hear your BiaB MIDI while in the VSTi, correct. If I may ask why?

The BiaB GM is at the lower end of the sound rankings. IIRC you have better sounds in both Reaper and Cakewalk and possibly some other softsynths.

My workflow is to bring all of the MIDI tracks into my DAW then assign a MIDI sound source to each track. It is more time consuming but I end up with much better ear candy using this technique. You may want to try this. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Simon... and all... I don't want folks thinking that I have abandoned my thread. It's just that I have been too busy all day to sit down with the music. I will have more time tomorrow and will get back to you then.

Thanks in advance for all your help... very appreciated.

/Bobby

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
No worries Bobby! Once you're back at it tomorrow could you clarify for us whether you're trying to play the MIDI straight out of the BB plugin, or whether you've dragged the MIDI into the DAW?

I work here
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Simon...

What I do is compose my song in BIAB. I then go into Reaper or Cakewalk and insert a "virtual instrument on new track" I choose the PG Music plugin. This creates a track in Reaper called "BIAB DAW VST3." I open the song I composed in BIAB within the plugin. When it loads I then "generate" the song in the plugin, and it does it*. All the tracks are midi in this case - except the "real drums."

I then drag all the tracks into Reaper using the "All" button on the plugin. I have dropped them ON the first track that was created when I first inserted the plugin. It didn't work.

I have dragged all the tracks using the "All" button on the plugin and put them UNDER the track that was created when I first inserted the plugin. Tracks set up nicely and the meters are moving, including the track that was created when I first inserted the plugin, but no sound. I've made sure that all "record monitoring" buttons are set to "on."

I've tried bringing in one track at a time (as if that's going to make any difference) and end up with the same results.

If I bring the tracks into Reaper as wav files, everything works fine. But I do know that a midi track has a different set of rules than an audio track.

I should say that I'm having the same issue in Cakewalk as well. The only difference is that when I drag all the tracks from the plugin into Cakewalk, 30... yes, 30 tracks are created. Dunno what's going on there.

So I know it is something that I'm not seeing, doing, or probably even understanding.

I'm hoping that I've been able to explain myself in a somewhat coherent way. If not, let me know what I missed and I'll get back to you.

Thanks so much!!!

/Bobby

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
If I bring the tracks into Reaper as wav files, everything works fine. But I do know that a midi track has a different set of rules than an audio track.

But I assume you don't know what those rules are? grin
A midi file dragged into reaper will have no sound. You need to assign a VST to the Reaper track in order for the midi to play a virtual instrument. Like midi in any DAW.

But that is the easy stuff. Are you telling us you have not crashed the BIAB-VST- 4.2.8 in Reaper? crazy You must be doing something right.

Capture.JPG (95.18 KB, 75 downloads)

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: MarioD

/Bobby

Bobby, if I read you correctly you want to hear your BiaB MIDI while in the VSTi, correct. If I may ask why?

The BiaB GM is at the lower end of the sound rankings. IIRC you have better sounds in both Reaper and Cakewalk and possibly some other softsynths.

My workflow is to bring all of the MIDI tracks into my DAW then assign a MIDI sound source to each track. It is more time consuming but I end up with much better ear candy using this technique. You may want to try this. YMMV

Hi Mario...

I THINK I understand what you're saying... but probably not lol
I'll give it a try to see if I understand it.

I compose my song in BIAB and then bring it into Reaper or Cakewalk. Mostly, I'm using it for the bass and drum tracks, and the rest I do with plugins like SampleTank 4.

One of the reasons why I like to use midi on some songs is that I'm still not, after all these years, an accomplished keyboard player. Therefore, if there's a part that I need to put into the song, and if the song's tempo is too fast for my keyboard abilities I can slow the whole song down. Doing this gives me more of a chance of getting it right. Once done, I reset the original tempo and voila... I don't think I can do this with RealTracks as they're audio. Of course,I would much rather be always using RealTracks, and I do for a lot of stuff. Their sounds cannot be beat, hands down.

I know that the whole solution to this is for me to learn how to play the keyboard. But at my age, I really don't see that happening. grin

Last edited by bobbyt9999; 12/31/21 12:50 PM.
Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
A midi file dragged into reaper will have no sound. You need to assign a VST to the Reaper track in order for the midi to play a virtual instrument. Like midi in any DAW.

That is correct. BIAB automatically assigns a plugin and an instrument to MIDI tracks, while most DAWs don't. Without an instrument or plugin, it will play nothing. The BIAB plugin itself doesn't respond to MIDI notes, so it will not play any sound that way either.

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
But that is the easy stuff. Are you telling us you have not crashed the BIAB-VST- 4.2.8 in Reaper? crazy You must be doing something right.

So far I have not crashed 4.2.8 or any of the previous 4.x versions in Reaper, so I guess I'm performing some sort of voodoo. The only issue I've personally had was in Performer Lite 13, which refused to validate the VST3 (which it also wouldn't validate some of the 3.x versions for me either) - VST2 was fine though.

I work here
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well, I'm thinking that I may be starting to understand what is being explained to me.

When I insert a BIAB plugin track into Reaper, I will see all the midi notes that were played in the original BIAB song. But I won't hear them. I have to assign an instrument to that track in order to hear those notes being played. Am I getting warm? smile

For sure I'll be playing around with it again tomorrow.

As for crashing the newest version of Reaper... yep... I've been doing it while trying to use the new PG plugin. Many times. I've also crashed Cakewalk with it. Many times. For me, using the plugin is like a box of chocolates... I never know what I'm gonna get. smile

Thanks for all your patience with me... I'm much obliged to you guys.

/Bobby

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Almost forgot to wish you all a very happy new year!!!

It is another very quiet new year's eve around here. The Covid virus is spreading like wildfire in my neck of the woods and so we're under lock down again.

Stay safe!!!

/Bobby

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
When I insert a BIAB plugin track into Reaper, I will see all the midi notes that were played in the original BIAB song. But I won't hear them. I have to assign an instrument to that track in order to hear those notes being played. Am I getting warm? smile

/Bobby

Not warm but spot on. That is exactly what you have to do.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Is it possibly time to mark this in the first post as Resolved? The post title might imply to some that the problem here is caused by BIAB, when it's more of an education issue. Granted, the plug-in contributed, but that is being worked on.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Matt... I haven't tried this yet so I'm thinking that I'll mark it "Resolved" once I see how it works.

Happy New Year!!!

/Bobby

Last edited by bobbyt9999; 01/01/22 09:15 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,615
Members38,498
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications
38,497 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 192