Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#694651 12/28/21 11:08 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
https://soundcloud.com/user-770148857/bury-the-past

Last song of the year. Happy New Year everyone!

The singer is Chris Rice of fiverr.

1732:Bass, Electric, TexasBluesRockFunky Ev16 090 (I think that's a mistake, it was an Ev8 bass)
2906:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm BluesyPopMike Ev 100
2904:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm GrittyBluesyPopBrent Ev 100
588:Sax, Tenor, 2-Beat Rock Ev 110 (Bluesy)
1742:Synth, Rhythm ModernDancePopRaveStringsHeld Ev 120
RealDrums AmericanaFunkyPopFred: a: HiHat,Snare b: Ride,Snare

Lyrics:

I've got a notion and you've got a notion bout what we both can be
I've had lovers and you've had lovers in the great romantic sea,
We both want something, before it gets too late,
Something that'll clear the air, set the matter straight,
Bu-Ry-The-Past, Baby It's what we need to do
Bu-Ry-The-Past, Baby Got to start anew

I know what pain is, it's something heinous, shake you to the core,
You know that players, tend to be strayers, don't want that no more
We gotta get clear of, the burden of what's done
Can't have no fear of, what we ought to shun,

We're strong together, last through the weather, bundle us up, you'll see
Got to believe in, there's no leaving, when it comes to you and me
It's the beginning, of getting the whole thing right,
We're on to winning, morning to the livelong night,

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello TuneMonger
Very nice song
You used BiaB very well
Chris does a very good job
Really fun to listen to the song
Thanks for sharing
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rice is nice...the very first line is quite sibilant and plosive laden...after that the essing is less frequqnt but, on occasion, it REALLY pops forward.
Did he supply his vocal with reverb or lots of room the the recording? He sounds like he's in a different space to the band ... as does the sax.
Cool song, good narrative.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
TM,

Your singer does a fine job.

The sax solo works. I agree with ray - the brightness of the sax is a contrast to the rest of the mix.

The pain is/heinous rhyme is notable.

The cadence of Bury The Past is really catchy by the end of the song. That STICKS.

Enjoyed the listen.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"We gotta get clear of, the burden of what's done
Can't have no fear of, what we ought to shun"

Great write and arrangement.

Mr Fiverr earned his pay ... well done. Nice phrasing.

Great song to end the year with or start a new one with!

J&B

PS The mix sounded good to us but it is really loud for these ancient ears smile

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I made some changes and uploaded the new version. Who knows, I might have made it worse. Let me know, rayc. I was particularly concerned about the vocal being in a different room as I thought I had gotten past that with my mixing. Plosives are still there, I can't fix them. I imagine if you pay for the expensive vocalists on fiverr you get a pristine stem but I can't afford those chaps. Thanks again to rayc and Floyd for the help.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I thought Dang, you sounds different, and then I read the notes. Good job with Chris - just a touch of Stevie Wonder. laugh

So many cool rhymes! Players/Strayers was one of my (many) favorites.

Good write and production. Loved the sax.

I enjoyed this a lot!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi TuneMonger,

I wasd directly attracted by the song title. And the lyrics kept what it promised.

Beautiful song, very well instrumented and beautifully sung by Chris.

Great use of the alto sax soloist - I repeatedly used it myself, it's really good.

Liked and enjoyed it a lot.

Happy New Year,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello TuneMonger,

After listening I read all post.
I don't know if this is another version than Ray heard, but I guess it is. The sax sounds very good.
But why didn't you sing yourself? Oh, the vocals of Chris Rice of Fiverr are very good, though still "from another room".

The song itself is very tasty, good beat/ rhythm with a nice melody.
So you did a good job on this one!

A swell 2022,
Hans
(and try your own vocals...)

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
TuneMonger,

I really enjoyed this tune! Love that 70's soulful vibe going on! Nice touch with those stops in the chorus! Great job! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
TM...really nice song...the easy jazz style is very relaxing and pleasing to the ear...I too really like the stops in the chorus and the sax solo is perfect...great listen...great production...Dan

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2023, Steinberg Cubase Pro 12, Wavelab 11.1, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice work here. Chris does a nice job on the vocals. The band sounds good to me. Did you give Chris the melody to follow or did he come up with that himself? Either way, it's good.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
jptjptjpt #695041 12/30/21 12:57 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey JPT,

Thanks, I'm so glad you liked the melody, that means a lot. I make up my own melodies. With BIAB doing so much, and me not singing, melody and lyrics is really all I do. I record a version of the songs I write with my crappy vocal on it and send it to the vocalist (they call it a vocal guide). I also send them a backing track of the song and a text file of the lyrics. They record their vocal and send me back a dry stem. I put the dry stem in the DAW and voila, a song! Of course, it ain't free. When I first started using fiverr for vocalists in 2019, I could find great singers for $25 a song. Those days are gone. Now $40-50 is the cheapest and the singers are good but not great. There are singers on fiverr who ask hundreds of dollars for their services. I imagine the tracks I post here would get less criticism if I could afford those singers. But sibilance and a plosive or two (or more) is normal for $50.

Hans asked why I don't sing my own songs, but my voice is not very good and it is worth it to me to have a decent voice on my songs. Occasionally I sing on novelty songs. Thanks again, I am so frustrated with how the vocals turned out technically on this song (they sound like they are in another room, apparently), so it's great to hear somebody focus on the part that is most important to me, the song itself.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I record a version of the songs I write with my crappy vocal on it and send it to the vocalist (they call it a vocal guide). I also send them a backing track of the song and a text file of the lyrics. They record their vocal and send me back a dry stem. I put the dry stem in the DAW and voila, a song! Of course, it ain't free. When I first started using fiverr for vocalists in 2019, I could find great singers for $25 a song. Those days are gone. Now $40-50 is the cheapest and the singers are good but not great. There are singers on fiverr who ask hundreds of dollars for their services. I imagine the tracks I post here would get less criticism if I could afford those singers. But sibilance and a plosive or two (or more) is normal for $50.

I had no idea this was possible in this price range. Thanks for describing the whole process.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mark,

If you use airgig instead of fiverr, you will find American Idol finalists and semi-finalists, and I used to see some that would work for as cheap as $150. That price may have risen, I haven't checked airgig since 2019.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
If you use airgig instead of fiverr, you will find American Idol finalists and semi-finalists, and I used to see some that would work for as cheap as $150.

What happens if you like what they send you but need them to do another take? I would assume at these rates it's accept what you get or pay for another? Not that there's anything wrong with that, especially at the AirGig rates you mentioned.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
What happens if you like what they send you but need them to do another take? I would assume at these rates it's accept what you get or pay for another? Not that there's anything wrong with that, especially at the AirGig rates you mentioned.

On their listing, an artist will state how many revisions are included for the price. Usually, it's one revision, or two at the most. More revisions than that will cost more, and that is usually stated on the listing as well. Even then, the cost of a third or more revision is usually cheaper than the cost of the original gig. Because they are working so cheap, I usually don't ask for a revision unless the problem is really big. If I were paying for the premium vocalists, I would be pickier.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

On their listing, an artist will state how many revisions are included for the price. Usually, it's one revision, or two at the most. More revisions than that will cost more, and that is usually stated on the listing as well. Even then, the cost of a third or more revision is usually cheaper than the cost of the original gig. Because they are working so cheap, I usually don't ask for a revision unless the problem is really big. If I were paying for the premium vocalists, I would be pickier.

Much thanks. I never really thought about doing this but I may now, especially since I’ve got singing software to make a guide track.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Happy New Year, TuneMonger. This is an excellent song to put 2021 in the past, and the perfect reason to revisit it. Your lyrics are always perfect.
outstanding with such phrases as "I know what pain is, it's something heinous..." Your melodies are also a cut above the norm, and this one is a large slice above. Creative changes and you found a good singer to pull it off in a very professional way.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You've written a pleasant and appealing melody, and your fivver vocalist does a darn good job with it. I think you got your moneys worth and more.

Good song. Productions sounds fine to me.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,476
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195