Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Beginners Forum
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
I previously hoped that the more multistyles, the better.
I tried more chord changes today, and found it was very good, the accompaniment was more stable, and it was more suitable for singing. So although it is just a pattern, the chord changes more, which will effectively improve the feeling of accompaniment repetition.
But I sang this song.
If you are doing rap, there may be fewer chords, and at most 1-4 chords may be used in the whole song. Because I found that many good songs have very few chords. Maybe they use a lot of substitutions?

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix
...Because I found that many good songs have very few chords. Maybe they use a lot of substitutions?

My recommendation is not to lock yourself in to too many rules, especially as far as chord structures go. Remain flexible. Your results will be broader also.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
ok

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
basic fact is that chords are the building blocks of music in BIAB. you have to get those right. whizzy features such as multi styles are what you go for when you need them not as a starting point. so create music by what sounds good not what the software is capable of.

thousandths and thousands of hit pop and country songs use only three chords and thousands more only use six when they add their relative minors.

and the same songs often use no more than majors, minors and sevenths. at least in pop and country.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
thousandths and thousands of hit pop and country songs use only three chords

I’m trying to figure out what he means when he asks if they use a lot of “substitutions”. I guess the idea is that Woody Guthrie sat down at BIAB and banged out “This Land Is Your Land” with the normal ration of hairy jazz chords but then BIAB took over and simplified it. It would be interesting to hear the original.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
i think we keep uncovering some basic lack of music knowledge. he's not just learning BIAB as he goes along but how music works. if he's working off sheet music he might be entering chords that we would automatically simplify.

and i agree with Woody that 'anything more than three chords is showing off'.........

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
i think we keep uncovering some basic lack of music knowledge. he's not just learning BIAB as he goes along but how music works. if he's working off sheet music he might be entering chords that we would automatically simplify.

I agree. It sounds like he started at ground zero and is trying to learn everything at once. But I really give him credit to learning this way. That is something I don't think that I could do.

and i agree with Woody that 'anything more than three chords is showing off'.........

I do not agree with you on this one. Many great songs have more than just three chords. Classical, jazz, pop, folk, you name it each genre has songs with more than three chords.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
It sounds like he started at ground zero and is trying to learn everything at once. But I really give him credit to learning this way.

When you put it that way, it sounds awesome, almost heroic, like Abraham Lincoln trudging through the snow to get a lump of coal to do arithmetic on the back of a shovel.

But I imagine someone sitting in a class, ignoring the teacher and his fellow students, surfing the Internet on his phone and periodically yelling out random questions based on what he finds. If you answer a specific question, he will pop his head up long enough to record your answer, argue with you, mention something he wants, then dive back into surfing the Internet (which he has called the "best teacher".)

Maybe I'm being unkind, but I see a serious problem with this approach to "learning", as evidenced by the extremely odd title of this thread.

Of course, surf the Internet and you will encounter a barrage of marketing from companies promising to teach you how to write 100 songs a day with zero knowledge of music. They will mock the "old fashioned" ways and assure you you don't need ANY of that to emit Monetizeable Musical Material. BIAB and Scaler will help you automate the entire process! Once you learn the software you can plug one program into the other and have your computer write music while you sleep.

Sorry, can't type any more, my old fart hat has slipped down over my eyes.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 12/30/21 06:41 AM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Swingbabymix, I don’t know if ‘substitutions’ means the same thing to you as it does to me (for example a tri-tone substitution).

Also, many of the Brazilian songs I work with may have four chords in the first measure, never mind the whole song. And for anyone who says it’s showing off; it’s not. It’s perfectly normal for the genre.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes

But I imagine someone sitting in a class, ignoring the teacher and his fellow students, surfing the Internet on his phone and periodically yelling out random questions based on what he finds. If you answer a specific question, he will pop his head up long enough to record your answer, argue with you, mention something he wants, then dive back into surfing the Internet (which he has called the "best teacher".)

Maybe I'm being unkind, but I see a serious problem with this approach to "learning",

I absolutely agree.

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Swingbabymix,

Also, many of the Brazilian songs I work with may have four chords in the first measure, never mind the whole song. And for anyone who says it’s showing off; it’s not. It’s perfectly normal for the genre.

Also agreed. Brazilian musicians do that all the time, not only when composing, but also when playing live and reharmonizing on the fly.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes

When you put it that way, it sounds awesome, almost heroic, like Abraham Lincoln trudging through the snow to get a lump of coal to do arithmetic on the back of a shovel.

Maybe I'm being unkind, but I see a serious problem with this approach to "learning", as evidenced by the extremely odd title of this thread.

Of course, surf the Internet and you will encounter a barrage of marketing from companies promising to teach you how to write 100 songs a day with zero knowledge of music. They will mock the "old fashioned" ways and assure you you don't need ANY of that to emit Monetizeable Musical Material. BIAB and Scaler will help you automate the entire process! Once you learn the software you can plug one program into the other and have your computer write music while you sleep.

Sorry, can't type any more, my old fart hat has slipped down over my eyes.

I agree. I'm old school, that is learn how to read music and learn at least some theory. I know you do not need to learn theory to write or play music but IMHO learning theory will help your playing/writing.

I totally agree with your second paragraph. Answers have been given that were ignored. A number of us have suggested getting an intro to music theory book. Some of his questions have been answered by other questions that would have been obvious if a little theory and/or playing experience were applied.

I still stand by my statement "started at ground zero and is trying to learn everything at once". IMHO, and I might be wrong here, it seems that instead of cracking a book he wants to be spoon fed answers by forum members. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I actually think there are no "wrong" chords if they support the melody. Consider your basic circle of 5th/4ths construct and there are chord relationships shared by multiple keys. There is clearly no rule that restricts you from "borrowing" from other key centers. As for 'substitutions', tritones make anything possible and this is the path to adding 'color' where a standard more predictable chord can sit.

Proof? Joni Mitchell does it. Sting more deliberately so. But the king of this? Stevie Wonder. The more I think on this cat, the more it makes sense why it is easy for him to break the rules: he trusted his ears and it if sounded good, who cares what the rules are. Revisit My Cherie first and then nearly any other of his tunes as he messes with the listener much to their delight.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
I think of musical rules as being like rules of the road, but not legal rules, like basic rules of driving. "Leave adequate space for braking" and such, and how to negotiate merges. But these guidelines are just there to help me get where I'm going in one piece, and are immediately overridden by any situational factors. I'm not going to yield to somebody going dangerously slow because it might create a general hazard, I will accelerate past them, and if I'm on a Christmas "light ride" I will disregard a lifetime of habit and turn my headlights off at night.

Imagine a musical "rule" that says, "Don't play a song in two different keys at once". It makes sense because of the dissonance that will cause. A bi-tonal piece will quite likely sound awful, and a beginner would be well-advised to have all his players playing in the same key.

Of course, if you're Charles Ives, you will do what you want and in fact that will often be EXACTLY what you want, and "rules" do not stop you.

The beginning composer, however, is advised not to unintentionally come off sounding like Charles Ives when that was not desired.

Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I get the rules of the road analogy but those rules are in place for the purposes of safety, regardless of how you employ them the reasonable expectation is that they will be observed. The rules of music are considerably blurred by comparison because 'safety' is on no one's mind. (Charlie Parker and Coltrane come to mind.)

It is helpful to have intention built into your creative purpose but much is to be said for 'happy accidents' which no musician, educated or not, hasn't stumbled upon in their respective journeys. As for the beginning composer, we have all been there and I dare say it was fun to be ignorant because the absent of rules made us much braver then. My personal struggle as a songwriter is to somehow get "back to the egg" because it all seemed fresh and exciting when we knew nothing.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
apologies mario, i realise there are songs with more than three chords - i even know some of them. smile

but my point is quite serious. pop, country and folk are probably the most accessble of genres, and majors, minors and sevenths usually suffice to create a lot of really wonderful music.

playing guitar we all get the hang of sus chords and how they resolve - add and take off the g on the top string of a D chord is sonething we all learnt by simply playing or watching other guitarists. it sounds cool and we learnt by doing it!

some of the chords the OP is asking qestions about seem to come out of nowhere - unless as i mentioned earlier he is using a program that creates chord sequences.

if that's the case he's generating chords with a program and turning them into songs with BIAB instead of starting with the music he wants to create.

mind you, if he's attemtping to learn BIAB and jazz from scratch he's braver than i am. but then creating any kind of music without learning an instrument misses a great deal of the pleasure and satisfaction.

i do feel we are being used a little - i have had invaluable help from the forum but my first reponse is not to make a psot if i'm not sure how to do something which is what the OP seems to do.

Last edited by Bob Calver; 12/30/21 11:07 AM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
No need to apologize my friend. No foul no harm.

I agree with your last post completely.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
if that's the case he's generating chords with a program and turning them into songs with BIAB instead of starting with the music he wants to create

I actually think that would be great!

He just posted a simple chord progression here, probably emitted by Scaler, that would make a fine BIAB song, creation of which would do far more for him, as a would-be songwriter, than having 10 people explain why E Major sounds cool in the key of C.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 12/30/21 02:23 PM.
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
But would it? Press button A to get chords. Press button B to get backing. No personal input no creativity.

Is that really the way we want music making to go?

Beginners Forum
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
thanks for your replies! I will work hard to learn chords.
However, I may not go to read. Because books are basically translated, I don’t understand. The most important thing is that I have been sleeping since I was young.
My main source of music theory knowledge comes from video and direct software operation.
With your help, I have a more in-depth understanding of BIAB. The more I use it, the more I like it. Not only can this software help to make music, but I think it is also a very good teaching software. It is difficult for me to understand some chords in a short period of time. I can only rely on memorization or familiarity with the operation. However, I believe that with the accumulation of time, I will change from mere memory to flexible use, and I will gradually get better. thank you all ^0^

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
Apprentice
Many, many years ago when I first got in to music, the most helpful thing I found was a circle of fifths wheel. It taught me the basic building blocks of music, in time I found it easier to be able to work out chord patterns, and that you could break the rules. These days there are apps and many web sites that do the circle of fifths. I would suggest that Swingbabymix look in to that, he will get an awful lot of benefit and insight very quickly.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,579
Posts734,675
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200