Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows FAQ
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff

Wondering how to install from Download Links, DVDs, a flash drive, or hard drive? Here are some tips: 

Download Links Installation 

*Having trouble downloading? Check out our FAQ "I just placed an order but am unable to download the software" HERE

Once you have successfully downloaded your entire purchase from your My Products page, you will need to run those installers.  

• Option 1: Manually click on each installer (one at a time) and follow the prompts in the Installation Wizard. Unless you specified otherwise when downloading, your installation files should be found in your "Downloads" folder. 
  • *Tips for downloading and installing an entire UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ (previously the EverythingPAK) on a Windows computer can be found HERE

• Option 2 (for Band-in-a-Box ONLY): Manually install the main Band-in-a-Box program (plus Hi-Q Instruments, MIDI SuperTracks, Artist Performances, BonusPaks, XtraStyles PAKs if relevant) and then use the Download Manager from within Band-in-a-Box to install all your Loops, Shots, RealTracks and RealDrums. 
  • DVD Installation

Insert your DVD's into your DVD drive, view the content of the disc(s), and run the installer(s). Use the default locations in the Installation Wizards to ensure all fonts, software synths, demos etc. go where they need to be! 

Click HERE to watch a YouTube video that shows you how to install Band-in-a-Box from DVD's on a Windows computer. 

Flash Drive Installation 

Insert your flash drive into a USB 2 or 3 port on your computer, view the contents of the drive, and run the installers. Use the default locations in the Installation Wizards to ensure all fonts, software synths, demos etc. go where they need to be! 

*You should not be running the software directly from the flash drive, it needs to be installed onto your computer. 

Hard Drive Installation

You have three installation options when you purchase Band-in-a-Box® on an external hard drive. To get started, plug the hard drive into your USB 2 or 3 port(s), view the contents of the drive, and run the setup file.  

1. Run everything from the external hard drive provided - installing only the fonts and software synths to your internal drive.  WINDOWS VIDEO   MAC VIDEO
    2. Install Band-in-a-Box® to your computer's internal drive but leave the RealTracks and RealDrums on your external hard drive.  WINDOWS VIDEO   MAC VIDEO
    3. Install everything to your computer's internal hard drive and just keep the hard drive as a backup.  WINDOWS VIDEO  MAC VIDEO

*If your computer isn't recognizing the hard drive, please follow the troubleshooting steps found HERE

If you get stuck, please don't hesitate to contact us

Last edited by Alyssa - PG Music; 10/01/18 10:31 AM.

Alyssa - PG Music
Z
Z
Hi,

I currently have BIAB 2020 installed. I just purchased the Ultrapak 2022 upgrade.

To get a fairly clean new 2022 BIAB installation without too many redundant installations of RealTracks and other features, do I need to:

1) Uninstall BIAB 2020 and install BIAB 2022 from scratch?

2) Install only the main program plus the RealTracks and other installation files that were not part of the BIAB 2020 package?

3) Install everything, including for example, the same/similar RealTrack files that were already installed with BIAB 2020

Thanks for your help!
/Z

Veteran
Veteran
Choice # 3.

My understanding is the installer will not install a file if you already have the same file and the date is the same or newer. On the other hand if PG Music has updated some files then the installer will install the updated file.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Z
Z
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Choice # 3.

My understanding is the installer will not install a file if you already have the same file and the date is the same or newer. On the other hand if PG Music has updated some files then the installer will install the updated file.

Hmmm... my experience is the opposite laugh
I had the same idea as you and I did that with an older installation of BIAB 2020. BIAB would keep reinstalling the same identical files and the overall size of my installation would just grow and grow.

I included option #3 in my question because I don't know if this issue has been addressed and to check whether other people have experienced the same problem when doing this.

Veteran
Veteran
I had the same experience as you the first time I updated Band-in-a-Box from my initial installation. My issue was I was telling the installer files the wrong directory path in such a way the installer was nesting files and folders. Post a screen shot of the directory path of one of your installer files. I bet a forum member can solve that issue.

I do not run my program from an external hard drive so my suggestion is an opinion and not founded on experience. If it hasn't worked for you in the past, I wouldn't follow the suggestion either.

The main issue I'm aware of using an external hard drive is Windows assigns a dynamic drive letter each time the external drive is attached. Sometimes the drive letter is the same as before which is fine and sometimes it's not which can cause issues. Windows has a procedure to assign a static drive letter to an external hard drive but not everyone knows the procedure exists. Because of the dynamic drive letter issue I'm cautious about suggesting the option. You are already using the external hard drive option so I assumed you have resolved that barrier to your satisfaction.

Everyone has their preferred way to work. I hope you'll let us know which option you choose and how it goes.

Z
Z
You are already using the external hard drive option so I assumed you have resolved that barrier to your satisfaction.

I've got it installed on my main drive, not an external drive!

Z
Z
Choice # 3.

OK, so I had a live chat with PG Music support and I was told the same thing -- that the BIAB 2022 installation would skip over whatever was previously installed and I was assured that my overall installation size wouldn't just grow and grow. I was told to expect 140 to 150 GB of files in total.

I used the Download Manager and simply downloaded everything, even RT sets that I had already previously installed (although the files were not identical -- each was slightly different in file size and composition than the versions I got when I installed BIAB 2020). Then I clicked install for each of the downloaded files and let the Download Manager handle everything.

Results: after starting up the program and unpacking the new styles etc., the installation size was 144 GB. Everything seems to be working fine at first glance. I'm quite happy with it.

I think the difference is that I manually installed each file before, and it probably created redundancies and grew my installation size beyond what was really needed. To confirm this, I even manually reinstalled files I had already installed and, sure enough, the installation size just kept growing.

So kudos to the PG Music team for sorting this out. I highly recommend doing everything through the Download Manager!

And many thanks for your helpful answers, Jim, which led me in the right direction.

Veteran
Veteran
Glad to read everything is correctly installed. Thanks for the update.

F
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
F
Hi,
I would like to ask for help with a new installation of BIAB because my setup is anything but standard.
I can boot into 4 instances of Win10 ("main","work","music" and "games") on my Dell desktop PC. This may seem strange, but I have reasons for this.
All of these instances have the same Machine ID and have access to data partition with letter "G". This partition is dedicated for my music data.
I would like to use BIAB as VST plugin from the "music" instance and also use BIAB in standalone mode from the "main" instance.

My first question is ... Could I install whole BIAB exclusively to the data disk "G" without touching anything on disk C? (registry, INI files, ...)
YES: That's great, thank you, I have no other questions. :-)
NO:
I'm aware I have to install BIAB twice. Do I need 2 licenses of BIAB despite the fact that it will be done on one physical PC hardware?
Could you recommend me what is really necessary to install to disk C (twice) and what content I can install to disk "G"?
Do I be able to process future BIAB upgrade for both "main" and "music" instances?

Thank you for your advice.

Last edited by Filo; 03/11/23 11:52 AM.

BIAB 2023 Pro, Reaper 6, Win10 Pro, RME BabyFace Pro FS
Veteran
Veteran
Band-in-a-Box does not affect the Windows registry. PG Music allows Band-in-a-Box to be installed three times.

In your case you would want two installations, one to the "main" instance and one to the "music" instance. So you will end up with: drive letter for "music":\bb and drive letter for "main:\bb.

Assuming you want all RealTracks and RealDrums to be installed to the "G" drive you would choose the custom location setting by selecting Ctrl+E to open the Preferences window. Select the RealDrums and RealTracks button to enter the custom location as displayed below.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (157.24 KB, 23 downloads)
Clipboard02.jpg (156.83 KB, 23 downloads)

F
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
F
Hello Jim,
thank you very much for your explanation!

BIAB 2023 Pro, Reaper 6, Win10 Pro, RME BabyFace Pro FS
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Moderated by  Blake - PG Music 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195