Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello,
First off, kudos to the BIAB development team; great product.

My question is does anyone use BIAB as a practice tool for learning/improving bass guitar playing? If so can you share some specifics on using it in this way?

I'm new to the BIAB forums so I hope this "Woodshedding Forum" is the appropriate place for this question.

What I have in mind is to create a library of jam tracks in BIAB, perhaps with the bass absent that focuses on a particular area of needed improvement such as arpeggios, scales, ect. But I'm not sure what chord progressions to enter into BIAB to accomplish this. I'm guessing music instructors would use BIAB in this way for their students since they would be able to provide a complete "band" for the student to play with. Not to mention total control over the tempo and style choice.

The genres I am most interested in are classic rock, progressive rock and smooth jazz. Specific artists are The Beatles, Alan Parsons, Roger Hodgson, Al Stewart, Pink Floyd, Zero7, Paul Hardcastle, Thievery Corporation, Ryan Farrish and similar.

Thanks for sharing any tips, pointers, ideas or chord progressions.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I have used BiaB as backing tracks for both my guitar and bass students. Just pick a style/genre, generate the parts, then mute the bass part.

For my guitar students I mute the guitar rhythm track for teaching rhythm but keep the entire song for teaching lead guitar.

I use MIDI for those backing tracks because I can slow them down or speed them up without introducing artifacts. Also these are not demos or songs so they don't need the best sounds available.

I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks MarioD,

I know how to build a backing track and how to mute instruments in BIAB (the mechanics) but I struggle with the specific chords or chord progressions to use to focus in on learning arppegios, scales and other musical elements. And then there is the question on whether I'm playing them correctly.

I think using BIAB as a musical instrument practice tool makes every sense and has two parts. Part A relates to the mechanics of constructing a backing track; in general, I know how to do this.

Part B is the "music teacher/music theory" part. For example, what specific chord progressions should I use to learn arppegios or fills and how do you use BIAB as a tool in this regard? This is what I'm struggling with.

Part A + Part B = Learning Success

Put another way, and more specifically, how might a student of the bass guitar use BIAB to learn the elements of Paul McCartney's bass line in Penny Lane? You can go to UltimateGuitar and copy the chord sheet and even enter these chords into BIAB, but more is needed to effectively learn that song. As you know, a chord progression is not a bass line.

There are also web-based bass instruction sites such as TalkingBass.net but I don't believe he/they use BIAB. Conversely, there are those that are very familiar with BIAB. I'm hoping that someone in the BIAB community can give specific tips on the Part B of this question.

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Apprentice
Apprentice
After reading your posts, it appears to me that you are probably trying to do something too complex. If you want to learn Paul's Bass in Penny Lane, then getting a transcription of that would really help and start learning note for note. You can also take an MP3 of that song and put it into any slow downer type software and slow it way down without changing the pitch and can segment off small parts to loop and play along with. VLC player will do this for free as well as Audacity, BUT my favorite is the program Transcribe! (with the exclamation point) I use it constantly. It even slows down instructional videos.

With BIAB however, I think maybe your backing tracks should start out super easy. I always start with 1 chord only looping to practice new scales, triads, roots, pentatonics etc. Then you can expand to other single chords. Then you can expand to 2 chords back and forth with enough bars of each that it is not too fast for you. Then you can slowly get more complex for instance building a backing track of I to IV to V to I and play over that. Go slow and incrementally. Or you can take two chords out of the Penny Lane progression and play your newly learning bass run over just that segment. You could use the style picker song search box to find something suitable similar to Penny lane. Or just go back to the real song and make segments to practice against if you want precisely the Beatles music.

Have a ball!

BIAB 2022 UltraPak, WIN10, Scarlett 2i2, Guitar Rig 6, Fishman LoudBox Artist, Martin D35, Taylor 812c, Cordoba 55FCE, Fender Strat, Epiphone LP, Ibanez GB10se
Veteran
Veteran
My question is do you want to learn the exact bass lines of Penny Lane, or any other song, or do you want something that is close?

If you want to the exact line then Backingtracks first paragraph is what I would have said also. Adding to it you might want to purchase a transcribed MIDI Penny Lane song. Just be sure to listen to the MP3 of the transcribed MIDI song so you can determine if it is a true transcription. You could also bring the MIDI file into either BiaB or your DAW for practicing the bass lines.

If you want get to something close you can put the chords into BiaB, mute the bass line, and practice your bass.

Either way make sure you are having fun.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Backing Track,

We think along very similar lines. I use Audacity quite often to slow down entire songs and to isolate particularly difficult sections and slow them down so they can be looped and practiced. Now I'm trying to incorporate BiaB into my toolbox.

My goal is not to necessarily copy the bass player on any artist's song note for note but to try to learn the basic rules of creating my own bass lines that give good justice to the original song. And I think BiaB can help with this. Neither am I trying to necessarily copy the bass line in BiaB.

Your idea of starting with a 1 chord BiaB backing track with the bass muted is a great idea, so I did just that in C Major for 32 bars using a pop ballad style at 80 BPM. I then recorded my playing on top of this backing track and saved it out as an MP3 file. I limited myself to the triad of this chord (C, E and G). Once this is mastered I can move on to scales, other single chords, and then multi-chord backing tracks leading up to full songs as you suggest.

Is there a way for me to send you this MP3 file to comment on?
Or is there a location at PGmusic.com that allows file sharing?

BiaB 2024 Windows
Apprentice
Apprentice
I believe you can upload an MP3 file here using the file manager link below the full reply window. Beware the file manager link does not have an underscore so it is not obvious it is a link.

BIAB 2022 UltraPak, WIN10, Scarlett 2i2, Guitar Rig 6, Fishman LoudBox Artist, Martin D35, Taylor 812c, Cordoba 55FCE, Fender Strat, Epiphone LP, Ibanez GB10se
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
BackingTrack,
Here is my attempt at uploading the MP3 file.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
C Major Practice Mix(Triads only).mp3 (2.6 MB, 15 downloads)
BiaB backing track with bass recording

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Veteran
# Backing Track and Bass Thumper #

Check out Band-in-a-Box's Tempo function. You can slow down playback as much as you want.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard02 Tempo.jpg (22.94 KB, 84 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Jim,
I normally adjust the tempo by dialing-in the BPM directly.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Veteran
I just wanted to make sure you realized Band-in-a-Box can drop the tempo way slow. You don't have to take the song out of Band-in-a-Box to slow a song enough to practice.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ahhh, I think I understand now what you are saying. I didn't Save Special as an MP3 in order to slow it down. Rather, I use Save Special as an MP3 so that it can be imported into a DAW My DAW allows me to record my bass line. Then I mix my recording with the BiaB backing track and finally export the mix to MP3 which is universally playable by others. The bass you hear in the MP3 file is my bass playing, I muted the bass in the BiaB SGU file at the beginning of this process. Why? Because to my knowledge, BiaB cannot record.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
BackingTrack,

PERFECT!!!

Now when you start to get bored with the sound of the one chord backing track, you can simply change the style and freshen everything up but still maintain the focused practice regimen.

I am doing this now with different CAGED positions on the fretboard (regular guitar, not bass) and layering up roots, 3 string triads, 2 octave arpeggios, associated pentatonic scale, and lastly the diatonic scale. This type of one chord practice is absolutely solidifying my knowledge of those and ability to improvise with them. Later you can go between 2 chords and on and on....

What a great tool!!

Last edited by BackingTrack; 01/03/22 07:44 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
BackingTrack,

Good start. Now play triads in all keys and in different bass neck positions.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here is another recording based on the same C Major BiaB backing track. This time I tried my 1st pentatonic scale (C D E G A C) played up a couple times then played down. The challenge here was to get the timing down so that I would blend with the phrasing of the backing track; hopefully it's at least a little musical. I think I can fairly easily translate what I've learned to D Major and other keys, so remaining in C Major, what would you suggest I try next? I'm guessing there is much more I can squeeze out of the C Major key.

Zooming out to a bigger picture it appears that triads, pentatonic scales and other musical elements are "building blocks" that can then be assembled (in some way) and used to form musical phrases and for me, bass lines . . . probably a subject for a new thread.

[If any PG Music marketing or development people are reading this thread, what a good opportunity this could be for a PG Music vision. What if a set of instructional videos could be developed that teach the musical concepts we are discussing here using BiaB as the foundation? Specific BiaB SGU files could be produced that focus and aid the student to learn various concepts. These could be offered to teach 6-string guitar, flute, piano, etc. I'd be your 1st customer for bass guitar. You could even call this "PG Music University".]

C Major Practice Mix(Pentatonic Scale).mp3 (2.59 MB, 4 downloads)
C Major Backing Track(Bass Pentatonic Scale)

BiaB 2024 Windows
Apprentice
Apprentice
There are a significant number of fantastic video tutorials from other companies that address these thoughts. For Bass, there are a number of Truefire courses that would be great, even one specifically on Pentatonics. Another good teacher is "ebass guitar" with a free trial: https://ebassguitar.com/.

Looks like you are going to have a wonderful voyage!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195