Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix
You were satisfied with your meal last night, so you don't need to eat today?

I get that this is a metaphor for your "hunger for knowledge", but the situations are very different. You have to keep eating, every day, or you'll die. On the other hand, if you ask a question, and people answer it, it can be helpful to keep track of that information for future use.

Should you go to the hospital?

I saw that you said this to Bob but quickly deleted it, so I was surprised to see it again. Over here, we would say "take your Prozac" or something. It's considered rude.

I am a BIAB customer, I paid for it, I encountered some problems during use, I came to the forum to ask, this is a normal thing.
What qualifications do you have to interrupt this communication?
Even if I ask the question repeatedly, it's my right.
I succeeded in exporting MP3 today, but not tomorrow. Can I ask?
I'm not successful again next month, let me ask, can't I?
who are you? Why do you always prevent our customers from communicating with BIAB normally?
Are you the boss of BIAB?

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Expert
Expert

Of course it is.
It's also our right to walk away from your questions if we wish.

Most people on these fora are just ordinary people, like you, who have learned about the program and try to help. We often spend time trying to see what answer you need and trying to assure that we give an appropriate answer.

We have an expression in England, that probably has parallels elsewhere: "biting the hand that feeds you".

I also recognise that as you and we often work "in translation", that sometimes those translations say thing differently from what was meant.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott

Of course it is.
It's also our right to walk away from your questions if we wish.

It doesn't matter if you don't answer.
The problem is that some people don't discuss the problem, but restrict the behavior of others like managers.
I don't know who gave him such power.
Or is he working at BIAB, specifically responsible for preventing others from communicating.

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Expert
Expert
A new clue: uncheck Intro and you should be fine.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture d’écran 2022-01-13 110138.png (19.21 KB, 268 downloads)

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MoultiPass
A new clue: uncheck Intro and you should be fine.

Question: Is this alignment issue occurring on the main BiaB program or the DAW plugin?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
It think if you go back to the origial thread reference at the beginning, this is BIAB audio tracks moved to a DAW or, for all I know, this could be a screen shot from BIAB audio editing window. I can't tell for sure.

Having said that, and just guessing, I think something is wrong with the track timing. If I saw those hits off the grid beat I would investigate.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #697974 01/13/22 03:34 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Dan, I agree, but I'm just trying to make sure we're all on the same page. There may be some advice that has a separate relevance? I don't now for sure.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
I don’t know if it was mentioned yet but it’s perfectly normal for some instruments to slip in ahead of others. In my Brazilian jazz songs, the guitar always enters early. And of course there’s the drums, affected by the settings in Count-in/Metronome.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Ya Matt, of course that makes sense. Its just I have never seen it in BIAB audio. Perhaps Swing could provide the actual BIAB style so we could verify at the source.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Expert
Expert
I made a song, just a C chord in the style below. I exported the audio to Logic and took this screenshot. The "misalignment" is perfectly normal – remember, we're looking at differences of a fraction of a second.

****** Song Summary *************
Key=C, Tempo 60
Style is _SLOWBAL.STY
RealTracks in style: ~732:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 060
RealTracks in style: ~742:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Sw 060
RealDrums in Style: JazzTerryClarke^02-a,b:Brushes

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
aaa.jpg (50.68 KB, 222 downloads)
Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/13/22 04:58 AM.
Expert
Expert
AFAICS, the fundamental issue is that SBM wants the audio "strictly aligned with the beat" for his modern electronic music, but I believe he's often he's using RealTrack which often will not do that. Real musicians put their own expression into the playing, louder of softer, ahead or behind the beat, with pitch bends or not, grace notes & flams and so on. SBM appears to want those musicians to play to his rigid timing, but mostly those musicians neither can nor will play to perfect time.

I've watched so many "modern electronic music" creators and even when they record MIDI, usually the first thing they do is quantize it. Instant rigid timing.

I think there may well be a fundamental disconnect in expectations here. Most(?) of us want natural-sounding music, SBM wants rigid timing.

SBM can get his rigid timing by cropping the leading sound, or by sliding the sounds, or by using quantized MIDI, but he wants BiaB to do that for him "out of the box".

If PGM include further modern styles that may well happen on those styles, but it probably should not do that to non-modern-dance styles. They're different from natural playing and, IMHO, they must stay different.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think not.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 01/13/22 05:21 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
I made a song, just a C chord in the style below. I exported the audio to Logic and took this screenshot. The "misalignment" is perfectly normal – remember, we're looking at differences of a fraction of a second.

****** Song Summary *************
Key=C, Tempo 60
Style is _SLOWBAL.STY
RealTracks in style: ~732:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 060
RealTracks in style: ~742:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Sw 060
RealDrums in Style: JazzTerryClarke^02-a,b:Brushes

OK, that makes perfect sense. I examined this style and while the time can be expanded to a large degree to show the "off timing", this is just natural. In other words, this is not quantized and maintains a very human feel.

thanks for clarifying.

Expert
Expert
SBM can get his rigid timing by cropping the leading sound, or by sliding the sounds, or by using quantized MIDI, but he wants BiaB to do that for him "out of the box".

It would be unseemly of me to post a link, but at this point in the past, discussion turned to audio quantization. It's clear that this is what he wants, for BIAB to slide audio around to align it.

He says he expected BIAB 2022 to have such a feature, so perhaps someone can speak to that specific question.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/13/22 12:35 PM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
If I remember correctly he is using Studio One. I believe it will fix it.

...Deb

Expert
Expert
audio quantization.

This is probably slightly crossed wires or similar, but I would interpret that to mean the quantising to a bit value effect of conversion of an analogue signal to a digital signal, which is not what I meant. What I meant was that the software adjusts all MIDI notes to be precisely on the beat timing.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 01/13/22 07:51 AM.

Expert
Expert
audio quantization

This is probably slightly crossed wires or similar, but I would interpret that to mean the quantising to a bit value effect of conversion of an analogue signal to a digital signal, which is not what I meant. What I meant was that the software adjusts all MIDI notes to be precisely on the beat timing.

I was using the term as it was used in the 2021 thread, to refer to that same kind of alignment, but for audio instead of MIDI.

Expert
Expert
I was using the term as it was used in the 2021 thread, to refer to that same kind of alignment, but for audio instead of MIDI.

OK, I found that and I see what you mean. I think there's an ambiguity in the use of the term. The videos I watched are, as you say, changing the alignment of the audio signal beat to match the system beat timing.

We do mean to achieve the same outcome, audio beats precisely aligned on the timing beats.

Personally, as an electronics engineer, I think "audio quantisation" is the wrong term, for various reasons that it's better to just skip over. I'll try to remember that the expression may used differently in a musical timing context.

Veteran
Veteran
SONAR had a term they used for this, to align disparate tracks so the beats match up. That function is quite apart from whether those tracks start at exactly the same time.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
SONAR had a term they used for this, to align disparate tracks so the beats match up,

"AudioSnap"?

Logic has "Flex Time", which I've used to sync its robot drummer to a recorded human performance. The obvious way is to vary the robot tempo to track the human, but one could also "dehumanize" the recording by forcing it to track the robot.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/13/22 11:40 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, thanks. AudioSnap.

There are a bunch of plugins to adjust timing of tracks, particularly to adjust for phase problems. Waves InSync and others.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,623
Posts735,194
Members38,520
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester
38,519 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185