Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#697333 01/10/22 04:09 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Where can I set the generated audio files to be all aligned?
I know it's more human to not align.
But some of my music is mechanical and the beginning of the sound has to be aligned.
How can I align all audio files generated by BIAB or BIAB VST.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2022-01-10_220516.jpg (97.43 KB, 584 downloads)

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Expert
Expert

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix
Where can I set the generated audio files to be all aligned?
I know it's more human to not align.
But some of my music is mechanical and the beginning of the sound has to be aligned.
How can I align all audio files generated by BIAB or BIAB VST.

Apparently this was discussed in the past. But looking at the picture shown above, there appears to be a problem. Mutiple beats off the grid line is hot humanization, it is poor timing. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Expert
Expert
Very simple: you unlock the magnetism and you align tiptop. Are you sure they're not anacrouses?

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=675764

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
DrDan #697351 01/10/22 06:09 AM
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent

Apparently this was discussed in the past. But looking at the picture shown above, there appears to be a problem. Mutiple beats off the grid line is hot humanization, it is poor timing. grin

I thought the 2022 new version will have a function to adjust whether it is humanized or not.
Because I'm doing electronic music and I don't want to make a little sound earlier

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: MoultiPass
Very simple: you unlock the magnetism and you align tiptop. Are you sure they're not anacrouses?

thanks. Where is this option in BIAB? Is it possible to tell me where to set it or preferably give me a screenshot.

Expert
Expert
good point Mark and MoultiPass. swingbabymix obviously has a digital delay unit set to slapback echo after 12 months.

Last edited by Bob Calver; 01/10/22 11:59 PM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Can you just trim it ?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
S1-Trim.gif (253.84 KB, 428 downloads)
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
good point Mark and MoultiPass. swingbabymix obviously has a digital delay unit set to slapback echo after 12 months.

I guess at this point it’s like singing traditional favorites around the campfire. One kicks it off, others recognize a “classic” and join in.

But it’s only 3 months.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/11/22 04:29 AM.
Expert
Expert
my apologies - in the UK we put the date and month the other way round so i thought it was last year. seems the OP's attention span is even shorter!

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
my apologies - in the UK we put the date and month the other way round so i thought it was last year. seems the OP's attention span is even shorter!

grin

Last edited by swingbabymix; 01/11/22 04:13 PM.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes

I guess at this point it’s like singing traditional favorites around the campfire. One kicks it off, others recognize a “classic” and join in.

But it’s only 3 months.

Not sure where you are seeing this is the same problem.
2022 just launched, I'm here to ask a question about aligning audio to see if 2022 is new for support, any questions?
Are you not going to eat tomorrow? You won't eat tomorrow because you ate today?

You don't look at your phone today because you checked your phone yesterday?
I paid for the software, and I asked the question in use on the forum. Do I still need to be supervised by you? Are you a forum administrator? Or are you the boss of BIAB?

Or is it stipulated here that questions about the BIAB 2022 version cannot be asked?
Or are you the dictator here?
Is your attitude good for the BIAB forum?
Is it the same when you communicate with others in reality?
I originally wanted to recommend BIAB and the forum to my friends, but now I need to think about it

Expert
Expert
I paid for the software, and I asked the question in use on the forum. Do I still need to be supervised by you? Are you a forum administrator? Or are you the boss of BIAB?

All I've done is point out that you asked this exact same question 3 months ago, and got a lot of responses, some of them quite lengthy, from a half dozen people. The thread went on for days. At the end, you appeared to be happy with a particular editing technique offered you.

Now it's like that all never happened.

Your question in this post – right down to the screenshot – is virtually identical to the earlier one.

I would ask, "Why?" but I understand your explanation is, "Oh, that question was about the 2021 version, this question is about the 2022 version."

Best wishes for a bountiful harvest.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/11/22 05:21 PM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I have had years of that, that is why Biab was stuck in the past for so loooooong, that's why I go off these days.

The pic below is the actual section an positions the item are place in for musical timing. For whatever purpose you need it to start on the bar, like for use as a loop, I can do that in Reaper with the original track data by setting the start point further in the item so as to snap to the bar but keep the rest of the item in timing.

RT-Sections-Positions.png (122.37 KB, 344 downloads)
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

All I've done is point out that you asked this exact same question 3 months ago, and got a lot of responses, some of them quite lengthy, from a half dozen people. The thread went on for days. At the end, you appeared to be happy with a particular technical solution offered you.

Now it's like that all never happened.

Your question in this post – right down to the screenshot – is virtually identical to the earlier one.

I would ask, "Why?" but I understand your explanation is, "Oh, that question was about the 2021 version, this question is about the 2022 version."

Best wishes for a bountiful harvest.

So with the new 2022 version coming, can I stop asking if it's possible to get the audio to be strictly aligned?

You were satisfied with your meal last night, so you don't need to eat today?
You are satisfied with your meal today, so you don't need to eat again tomorrow?
Do you get along with people like this in real life?

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

Do you wish there would be no questions asked in the BIAB forum?
Because the answer is in the manual? Don't look at the PDF yourself?
Do you want the BIAB forum to disappear completely?
Should you go to the hospital?

Expert
Expert

I get that this is a metaphor for your "hunger for knowledge", but the situations are very different. You have to keep eating, every day, or you'll die. On the other hand, if you ask a question, and people answer it, it can be helpful to keep track of that information for future use.

I saw that you said this to Bob but quickly deleted it, so I was surprised to see it again. Over here, we would say "take your Prozac" or something. It's considered rude.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/11/22 06:01 PM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Are they the same questions or are you missing what the story is, is it going over the top of your head ?

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I know users the thought for sure swingbaby was a spam bot.
Why was I able to help him, maybe I should of let my personality judgement kick in and attack him ? That is the best thing to do, if you don't understand something, attack it !!! The Blind Leading The Blind.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If you can't turn you personality judgement off and tune into the person on a higher level, then you are easily led by the blind and follow the blind you will remain in the pit where those following the blind end up.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

I get that this is a metaphor for your "hunger for knowledge", but the situations are very different. You have to keep eating, every day, or you'll die. On the other hand, if you ask a question, and people answer it, it can be helpful to keep track of that information for future use.

I saw that you said this to Bob but quickly deleted it, so I was surprised to see it again. Over here, we would say "take your Prozac" or something. It's considered rude.

I am a BIAB customer, I paid for it, I encountered some problems during use, I came to the forum to ask, this is a normal thing.
What qualifications do you have to interrupt this communication?
Even if I ask the question repeatedly, it's my right.
I succeeded in exporting MP3 today, but not tomorrow. Can I ask?
I'm not successful again next month, let me ask, can't I?
who are you? Why do you always prevent our customers from communicating with BIAB normally?
Are you the boss of BIAB?

Expert
Expert

Of course it is.
It's also our right to walk away from your questions if we wish.

Most people on these fora are just ordinary people, like you, who have learned about the program and try to help. We often spend time trying to see what answer you need and trying to assure that we give an appropriate answer.

We have an expression in England, that probably has parallels elsewhere: "biting the hand that feeds you".

I also recognise that as you and we often work "in translation", that sometimes those translations say thing differently from what was meant.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott

Of course it is.
It's also our right to walk away from your questions if we wish.

It doesn't matter if you don't answer.
The problem is that some people don't discuss the problem, but restrict the behavior of others like managers.
I don't know who gave him such power.
Or is he working at BIAB, specifically responsible for preventing others from communicating.

Expert
Expert
A new clue: uncheck Intro and you should be fine.

Capture d’écran 2022-01-13 110138.png (19.21 KB, 268 downloads)

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MoultiPass
A new clue: uncheck Intro and you should be fine.

Question: Is this alignment issue occurring on the main BiaB program or the DAW plugin?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
It think if you go back to the origial thread reference at the beginning, this is BIAB audio tracks moved to a DAW or, for all I know, this could be a screen shot from BIAB audio editing window. I can't tell for sure.

Having said that, and just guessing, I think something is wrong with the track timing. If I saw those hits off the grid beat I would investigate.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #697974 01/13/22 03:34 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Dan, I agree, but I'm just trying to make sure we're all on the same page. There may be some advice that has a separate relevance? I don't now for sure.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
I don’t know if it was mentioned yet but it’s perfectly normal for some instruments to slip in ahead of others. In my Brazilian jazz songs, the guitar always enters early. And of course there’s the drums, affected by the settings in Count-in/Metronome.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Ya Matt, of course that makes sense. Its just I have never seen it in BIAB audio. Perhaps Swing could provide the actual BIAB style so we could verify at the source.

Expert
Expert
I made a song, just a C chord in the style below. I exported the audio to Logic and took this screenshot. The "misalignment" is perfectly normal – remember, we're looking at differences of a fraction of a second.

****** Song Summary *************
Key=C, Tempo 60
Style is _SLOWBAL.STY
RealTracks in style: ~732:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 060
RealTracks in style: ~742:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Sw 060
RealDrums in Style: JazzTerryClarke^02-a,b:Brushes

aaa.jpg (50.68 KB, 222 downloads)
Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/13/22 04:58 AM.
Expert
Expert
AFAICS, the fundamental issue is that SBM wants the audio "strictly aligned with the beat" for his modern electronic music, but I believe he's often he's using RealTrack which often will not do that. Real musicians put their own expression into the playing, louder of softer, ahead or behind the beat, with pitch bends or not, grace notes & flams and so on. SBM appears to want those musicians to play to his rigid timing, but mostly those musicians neither can nor will play to perfect time.

I've watched so many "modern electronic music" creators and even when they record MIDI, usually the first thing they do is quantize it. Instant rigid timing.

I think there may well be a fundamental disconnect in expectations here. Most(?) of us want natural-sounding music, SBM wants rigid timing.

SBM can get his rigid timing by cropping the leading sound, or by sliding the sounds, or by using quantized MIDI, but he wants BiaB to do that for him "out of the box".

If PGM include further modern styles that may well happen on those styles, but it probably should not do that to non-modern-dance styles. They're different from natural playing and, IMHO, they must stay different.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think not.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 01/13/22 05:21 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
I made a song, just a C chord in the style below. I exported the audio to Logic and took this screenshot. The "misalignment" is perfectly normal – remember, we're looking at differences of a fraction of a second.

****** Song Summary *************
Key=C, Tempo 60
Style is _SLOWBAL.STY
RealTracks in style: ~732:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 060
RealTracks in style: ~742:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Sw 060
RealDrums in Style: JazzTerryClarke^02-a,b:Brushes

OK, that makes perfect sense. I examined this style and while the time can be expanded to a large degree to show the "off timing", this is just natural. In other words, this is not quantized and maintains a very human feel.

thanks for clarifying.

Expert
Expert
SBM can get his rigid timing by cropping the leading sound, or by sliding the sounds, or by using quantized MIDI, but he wants BiaB to do that for him "out of the box".

It would be unseemly of me to post a link, but at this point in the past, discussion turned to audio quantization. It's clear that this is what he wants, for BIAB to slide audio around to align it.

He says he expected BIAB 2022 to have such a feature, so perhaps someone can speak to that specific question.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/13/22 12:35 PM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
If I remember correctly he is using Studio One. I believe it will fix it.

...Deb

Expert
Expert
audio quantization.

This is probably slightly crossed wires or similar, but I would interpret that to mean the quantising to a bit value effect of conversion of an analogue signal to a digital signal, which is not what I meant. What I meant was that the software adjusts all MIDI notes to be precisely on the beat timing.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 01/13/22 07:51 AM.

Expert
Expert
audio quantization

This is probably slightly crossed wires or similar, but I would interpret that to mean the quantising to a bit value effect of conversion of an analogue signal to a digital signal, which is not what I meant. What I meant was that the software adjusts all MIDI notes to be precisely on the beat timing.

I was using the term as it was used in the 2021 thread, to refer to that same kind of alignment, but for audio instead of MIDI.

Expert
Expert
I was using the term as it was used in the 2021 thread, to refer to that same kind of alignment, but for audio instead of MIDI.

OK, I found that and I see what you mean. I think there's an ambiguity in the use of the term. The videos I watched are, as you say, changing the alignment of the audio signal beat to match the system beat timing.

We do mean to achieve the same outcome, audio beats precisely aligned on the timing beats.

Personally, as an electronics engineer, I think "audio quantisation" is the wrong term, for various reasons that it's better to just skip over. I'll try to remember that the expression may used differently in a musical timing context.

Veteran
Veteran
SONAR had a term they used for this, to align disparate tracks so the beats match up. That function is quite apart from whether those tracks start at exactly the same time.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
SONAR had a term they used for this, to align disparate tracks so the beats match up,

"AudioSnap"?

Logic has "Flex Time", which I've used to sync its robot drummer to a recorded human performance. The obvious way is to vary the robot tempo to track the human, but one could also "dehumanize" the recording by forcing it to track the robot.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/13/22 11:40 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, thanks. AudioSnap.

There are a bunch of plugins to adjust timing of tracks, particularly to adjust for phase problems. Waves InSync and others.

Expert
Expert
the original question was about aligning the start of wav file audio patterns with rigid bar lines in a DAW which the OP sees as a problem with the way he wants to create music. the identical question 3 months ago - admittedly in the context of BIAB 2021 - established that this is just how BIAB and RealTracks work. on the basis of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' this remains unchanged in 2022. there have been many suggestions as to how to work around the issue but I can't see BIAB changing the way it works now or in the future.

manipulation in the DAW is still the answer.

S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
Thanks Bob. A huge tip of the hat to you and the community's efforts to resolve this. Manipulation in the DAW is indeed the answer.

That said...
Recently I've been dragging the tracks I prepare in BIAB to Reaper. Just going with what works best from me, I've found two ways I am able to reproduce the misalignment shown in the OP's screen capture:

1) When dragging from the radio button in BIAB to the track in Reaper, if my Reaper play cursor is not at the very start of the track when I let go of the mouse, that track is not aligned with the others.

2) If I generate a track in BIAB, drag it to Reaper, then generate the next track at a slightly different tempo then drag that to Reaper, I'll get misaligned tracks. The tempos for each track have to be the same, and my tempo map in Reaper has to match from - start to end - how I have the tempos set for the whole song in BIAB.

Again, manipulating the tracks in the DAW is easy.

Bruce Hook - Soprano, Alto and Tenor Saxes
BIAB 2023 UltraPak | Intel i7 | Mackie ProFX10v3 Audio Interface | 1TB SSD | Reaper DAW
| Akai EWI 5000 | M-Audio Oxygen Pro 49
Expert
Expert
manipulation in the DAW is still the answer.

I find the nature of RealTracks makes this pretty easy. Most of the time I do a cut n' paste of RT audio in Logic, I expect the edit to sound awful – and it doesn't. This stuff is created from pieces put together super craftily, so it lends itself extremely well to being dismantled and reassembled.

And if I see some waveform "sticking out" at the beginning of a phrase, well, I have an idea of how to handle that bad boy.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/14/22 02:09 PM.
Expert
Expert
...cut n' paste of RT audio in Logic, I expect the edit to sound awful – and it doesn't.

Years ago I did a lot of theatre sound using reel-to-reel tape and a razor blade.
I's amazing how much one can cut from the front of a starting beat and it still sounds OK. A short fade-in (cf angled razor cut) masks surprisingly well.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Gordon, me too about the reel to reel.

As a teen, I had multiple reel to reel recorders - Dad had an electronics store. My brothers and I recorded all of Richard Nixon's speeches. Edited them to have him admit to every crime imaginable. Even had "Hail to the Chief" playing in the background.

...Deb

Expert
Expert
As a wee sprout of 12 or so, I once took a borrowed reel tape recorder and conducted the following visionary experiment:

I recorded myself on a guitar, playing a couple of seconds of a C note, picked tremelo. Then I recorded myself playing a couple of seconds of a D note, and so on until I had all the notes of a scale.

Then I cut up the tape and spliced together a little piece of C, a little piece of D, etc.

When I played it, it sounded like a scale!!!

Too bad I never took it beyond that...

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/16/22 04:47 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199