Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
V
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
Does PG Music have track system for user report the bug?
If it does not, then should have one to track all bugs user report and displays the status of the bug.

Last edited by Vincente; 01/12/22 03:02 PM.

WIN11 OS build 23H2, 16MB, 1TG SSD.
BIAB2024, build 1109, MegaPaK
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
If you believe you found a bug, report it in the forum. Other forum users will verify the bug, some questions maybe asked to clarify the bug.

Several forum users can pass the bug information to PG Music through the beta forum.

PG Music does not have a public bug tracking system.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
V
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
This is not a good way to support the customer Without a public bug tracking system.
How do one know the bug being reported & PG have acknowledged the bug?
How do one know the bug being fixed? -what version, date?

If one finds the bug before report, one can look the bug has been reported or not at the public tracker (save customer time)

WIN11 OS build 23H2, 16MB, 1TG SSD.
BIAB2024, build 1109, MegaPaK
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Jim’s good answer above describes the present system. While not perfect, it tends to filter out the actual bugs from the situations that are more a question of user understanding and education.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Matt,
I do not agree to this:
"it tends to filter out the actual bugs from the situations that are more a question of user understanding and education."

It is always a hunt for resolution and reliance on particular user's memory of scattered posts & solutions and a will of those mentioned to help. If the bug reporting thread is in place, it would be a simple "bump": "I have same issue". Without starting another thread. If it was reported and not resolved, send poor soul to bump that thread. If it was solved, point to "Resolved" post.

1) It could create a single database for known issues.
2)Fixed or "Resolved" (User error) posts archived to the bottom of the list.
3) could be done with a simple "vote" button. And automated. 2-3 confirmation "votes" of the issue could prioritize it's standing in the list in bold and make devs aware.
--------------

I do not not see a single reason why having bug reporting thread is an issue.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
I don't see how any vendor could have a public bug tracking system that wasn't vulnerable to inappropriate entries based on misunderstanding and/or desire, and didn't open them up to a kind of populist terrorism. But I don't really know, are any other vendors doing this? Not talking about open source projects here.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#

OK, that's what I was wondering about, point taken.

Except... the Native Instruments link gets you "This forum is closed for good after over 15 years of fun. It’s now only accessible as a read-only archive until further notice." And if you follow the link to their new forums, "Bug Reports" has zero posts!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I didn't go "hunting" just very basic 1 min search.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
... it tends to filter out the actual bugs from the situations that are more a question of user understanding and education.

Though some of those misunderstandings and some of that need for education could perhaps reasonably be considered shortcomings of the software.

I my time as a developer I had actively to encourage our sales and support people to feed information back to us. "I don't care if the customer 'gets it wrong' or just feels it isn't righ ... I'd like to know about it. We may address it, we may not, but if we don't see the message we'll do nothing."

We set up a system deliberately not called a bug/fault report and actively encouraged any feedback they liked. And they did. Most was also sensible and constructive.

One of the things that does is pick up bugs/faults/quirks that the more experienced users never see because "they never do that"; Sometimes there were good ideas that previously wouldn't have come to us. PGM's wishlists help with that.

Actually, later we also had a couple or so meetings each year with the sales and support guys, where we all just talked about the system. Sometimes things came out in those meetings that people thought were "just silly", that were actually useful to know.

Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
I don't see how any vendor could have a public bug tracking system that wasn't vulnerable to inappropriate entries...

You're right that a free-for-all would be a bad idea, but it would be nice to have an opportunity to see what's been recorded, what if anything is being done about it, what version contains any fix, and/or where the workaround and/or misunderstanding/education data can be found.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
You're right that a free-for-all would be a bad idea, but it would be nice to have an opportunity to see what's been recorded, what if anything is being done about it, what version contains any fix, and/or where the workaround and/or misunderstanding/education data can be found.

I do wish I could check somewhere to see the status of the "Mac users can't import ABC notation files" bug. As it is, I just have to try again with each new version.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/17/22 06:10 PM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
musescore-bugs.png (88.15 KB, 119 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Hmmm, I wonder if this could be accomplished without PGM's active, on-going participation? Maybe a standard could be agreed upon for titling user reported bug report posts so a simple search would return only those? And maybe ask PGM to add a pinned post with instructions for titling your post along with instructions or a link for searching? And maybe PGM could grant forum admin permissions to a trusted, long-term beta tester to edit titles to maintain consistency, mark as Open, Verified, Resolved, etc.?

Just some thoughts from a calm, bugs-don't-bug-me-so-much-these-days guy!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
JJJ, good thoughts!

"Maybe a standard could be agreed upon for titling user reported bug report posts so a simple search would return only those?"

+1

P.S. "issue" is a popular one.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Hmmm, I wonder if this could be accomplished without PGM's active, on-going participation?

How can you track the status of bug reports without the participation of those whose job it will be to act on them?

A report comes in. Looks like a bug. At some point PG developers may determine it wasn't really a bug, or that it's a bug already fixed internally and scheduled for release next month, or that it's a bug but it will not be fixed until the next major release. Who's going to update the bug report?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
An open bug reports subforum / tracking system would bring, IMO, a lot of benefits over the actual old-fashioned system of hidden beta forums and just a few beta testers, which is clearly not working very well.

Musescore, Reaper, and many, many other modern programs are so solid partly because A LOT of users are beta testing those products, and open bug reports and discussion are encouraged by developers and long time users, offering constant feedback about reported issues.

So, once again, +1

Last edited by Cerio; 01/16/22 01:54 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Hmmm, I wonder if this could be accomplished without PGM's active, on-going participation?

How can you track the status of bug reports without the participation of those whose job it will be to act on them?

A report comes in. Looks like a bug. At some point PG developers may determine it wasn't really a bug, or that it's a bug already fixed internally and scheduled for release next month, or that it's a bug but it will not be fixed until the next major release. Who's going to update the bug report?

Well, this kinda already happens here when regular forum users reply to folks asking about a bug. You're right that a developer run system would be best but if that isn't possible maybe we can hack something together that would at least cover the more serious issues?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
P.S. "issue" is a popular one.

I like the idea of "issue" instead of "bug" since 1) often it is a user issue or 2) it could be a design choice/compromise. It would be unfair to PGM to label these "bugs" and frankly, unnecessary.

Maybe a user-initiated Issue List would grow to become something PGM values and adopts down the road?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195