Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#697989 01/13/22 04:35 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
BLONG Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
What tools would you recommend for someone who has no vocal range and sounds like a death rattle? I just want to record demos. I've looked at some vocal software but the learning curve is probably longer than my life expectancy. (Don't recommend a shovel, but that is funny.) BIAB 2022. Cakewalk (but never used it).

BLONG #698015 01/13/22 06:24 AM
Expert
Expert
Marry a singer! Okay, I'm going out ....

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
BLONG #698021 01/13/22 06:34 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Voice lessons.

...Deb

BLONG Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Sigh ... cry

BLONG #698066 01/13/22 11:31 AM
Veteran
Veteran
OK if you are not going to do those two suggestions the best on the advice I can give is to purchase Melodyne's Assistant. It ain't cheap at around $300 USD but it will correct your vocal pitch mistakes and with formats actually change your voice. The Assistant is the cheapest version that will do all of that and more.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
BLONG #698069 01/13/22 11:39 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I am going to answer this honestly but as gently as possible.

I am 5'7" tall AND wide. I have (b)long since given up all hope that I ever had about a career in the NBA.

I also swim like a cinder block, so the Olympic swimming medal is also out of reach.

"Almost no range and a voice that sounds like a death rattle" kind of seal a specific fate, do they not?

I now need to ask the question that typically starts weeks of dart throwing.

How much do you actually know about music? Do you know basic basics like the Circle of 5ths (why chords that relate to each other do so), intervals that make up chords, etc? Can you read and write music at all, at least well enough to write a melody on paper so you can pass it along to a singer? The concept of prosody where the cadence of the music aligns with the cadence of the lyric?

Point being, if you can't sing, you can't sing. I am in the same club. I have a range of an octave and a nasal voice that is not really pleasing to the ear. Yeah I DO sing, but by many accounts, I probably shouldn't. And in fact whenever I come up with a song I think has any potential at all I bring a singer in. The exception was when I released a CD of my own work and for it to be MY CD I had to sing it myself.

You are new here so I have no idea about your history, training, experience... Fill us in! The reason for that question is that to embark on a journey learning software that sings for you, you will likely also have to have some foundation to build from.

You have taken the first step, that being you admit that singing isn't your long suit and asked for suggestions.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/13/22 02:03 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
BLONG #698079 01/13/22 11:53 AM
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: BLONG
What tools would you recommend for someone who has no vocal range and sounds like a death rattle? I just want to record demos. I've looked at some vocal software but the learning curve is probably longer than my life expectancy.

If by "vocal software" you mean synthetic voices like the Vocaloids, I use Emvoice instead of trying to sing myself. It's really very, very, very easy to use and would be great for demos, if you don't really need to nail a perfect articulation.

If you really don't want a robot demo, but you really don't want to sing, you can always make a secret robot demo and send it to an online service singer to make a human demo.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/13/22 12:16 PM.
BLONG #698093 01/13/22 12:59 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hopefully, I did not sound like I was being flip with my previous post.

I have seen great music instructors do marvelous things with students who thought they could not.

And, I have learning disabilities that make things a bit more of a challenge than most - reading right to left is really problematic at times.

...Deb

BLONG #698111 01/13/22 02:04 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like a death rattle? Awesome!

Some of my favorite singers sound like that. Ever listened to any Tom Waits? Who would listen to that? Oh, wait, 2.5 million views.

If the lyrics are great and it's cool jazz (A BIAB specialty), you don't need to be able to sing and a death rattle is perfect. Plus you get to drink all day, professionally for a living, and date Rickie Lee Jones. You can't lose.

BLONG #698120 01/13/22 02:31 PM
Veteran
Veteran

One more. Again Tom Waits, who wrote the only song Bruce Springsteen has ever closed a concert with that wasn't his own, and regularly does: Jersey Girl. One of the best songs I have ever heard.

Check this out. Live with his band. No one is telling him he needs vocaloid. It's the song.

BLONG #698190 01/14/22 12:50 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Howlin' Wolf is another one.

Spoonful

...Deb

BLONG #698197 01/14/22 01:25 AM
Expert
Expert
and of course Leonard Cohen. but are you sure you really can't sing? i know lots of people who say they can't but can make reasonable stab at it when they really try.

and if you have the 32 bit version of RealBand which is still bundled with BIAB 2022 if you play in a midi melody, the program can correct your pitch to match the melody using the helicon harmony plugin.

the 64 bit version works differently and as i'm not at my music pc i can't check if the same function is available but i know it doesn't have the helicon program.

so if you can correct the pitch the 'quality' of your voice is fine for demo purposes

Last edited by Bob Calver; 01/14/22 01:28 AM.
BLONG #698199 01/14/22 01:41 AM
Expert
Expert
and while its not the same, page 270 of the 2022 BIAB manual says you can correct audio notes to the correct notes in the key of the song - doing automatically what melodyne does but without the same level of control.

so whereas the helicon plug in will follow a midi melody, i think if your pitch is badly off the BIAB process may correct your vocal to the 'wrong' in key note

give it a go - you may have a hit song if you can produce a demo!

BLONG #698265 01/14/22 07:15 AM
Expert
Expert
Another possibility would be to just not sing, and I am not being facetious.

Make your demo with a clear instrumental melody line (violin, clarinet, whatever) and provide lyrics.

Depending on the purpose and audience, that might be out of the question or the perfect solution.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/14/22 07:16 AM.
eddie1261 #698272 01/14/22 07:42 AM
BLONG Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

BLONG Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I decided to take a stab. Thanks!

BLONG Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I appreciate your consideration!

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Another possibility would be to just not sing, and I am not being facetious.

I agree with Mark. You may have a great song idea but an A&R guy may listen to 30 seconds of it at most, and if the singing is as bad as you are saying you sing he may just stop it immediately and not even give it those 30 seconds.

I have a feeling you may sing better than you think but have no confidence in your singing. I deal with the same thing. People who bought my CD generally said that the singing fits the songs. That's all an amateur can hope for.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
BLONG Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Interesting perspective. I'll try to get better first. Just posted song in showcase.

BLONG #698295 01/14/22 09:08 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I am laying down my vocal tracks today. I could not do it without isotope nectar and Melodyne. Check it out your audience will thank you.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,493
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195