Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My laptop regularly receives Microsoft Windows 10 updates. Most of the time it's reboot and done. Sometimes there is a hangup during the reboot so I have to reboot multiple times as the computer works through all the updates.

This time was different. Laptop reboots, the fan starts roaring, display go blank and it stays that way. Multiple reboots don't make a difference.

Boot, boot, boot until I can get laptop to boot up into diagnostics and recovery mode. Fresh Windows install while saving files and settings.

A lot of stuff is gone but a lot of stuff remains on the hard drive. Band-in-a-Box remained but required a fresh activation.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'll be doing for the next few days.

Side note, the Winston-Salem, NC area is supposed to get clobbered with a snow, sleet, freezing rain combination Saturday night and all day Sunday. The Weather Channel cable network has a weatherman named Jim Cantore that is well known for his live shots during extreme weather events like blizzards, floods, tornadoes and so on. Guess who was spotted deplaning at the local airport; yep Jim Cantore. I guess that makes it official it's gonna' be a bad one!

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Can you get to safe mode? If you can you can roll back that last update.

That being said, how old is the laptop? When I have problems like you are having I opt to consider it a perfect opportunity to buy a new toy.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've followed Cantore on the Weather Channel for over 2 decades. He's definitely a character. If he's there it's not looking good for the weather.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Jim, the last Win 10 update froze my machine also, couldn't do a thing. I shut down for about 10 minutes, powered up again, but still had problems. Shut down again. About an hour later powered up and all was OK. I have no idea what happened or how it got corrected. This was the first time in a very long time that I had problems with an update. I hope this isn't a trend to get us to go to Win 11. I am not in a position to purchase 3 new computers.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Guessing per Mario's comment the Windows 10 update may have briefly been bugged across the board. I've got all 3 machines in my house on Win 11 now and none of the updates have caused issues. The OS overall is not much different to Win 10 IMHO.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Off-Topic
Expert
Online Content
Expert
I've been fighting the "we were unable to complete the updates" malarkey for coming on a year now, with periodic blue-screens and failed repairs to boot. So far all of the failed repairs have actually gotten Windows up and running again, but it's very discouraging indeed.

Often it won't shut down.

I've recently taken to using the "restart" option with no updates, then hitting the power button when the BIOS screen appears.

It won't even reinstall and, at least with the existing copy and other drives present, it won't even install onto a blank disc ... either it says it can't create partitions, or if I use its partition manager and tell it where to install, it says it can't find a free partition.

Before I started the restart trick it was often wasting an hour of my life every time I booted it!

Dare I try an update to Win 11?
While Win 10 is so temperamental?
Not at present.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So your computer has a malar key on it?

If the issue was when you booted, why turn it off? Turn off automatic updates and leave it on. Mine run 24/7. Even more. They run 29/11! I just cut the network connection when I am done using it every day so nothing can get in.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/13/22 01:45 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Eddie, I wasn't able to get the laptop to go into safe mode. The laptop's version of Dell diagnostics offers multiple choices to repair Windows but going into safe mode is not one of them. Windows ignored F5 and F8 during reboot.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Jim,
My neighbour had similar Dell issue that you described. If I remember correctly , it was called "boot loop". Honestly, I forgot how we solved it.
Maybe I am wrong, but I vaguely remember Dell recovery USB flash was involved.

Can you get to "restore point" from diagnostics?

P.S. If you have some data that...you do not want to lose, which you feel you might, maybe a good idea to pull drive out and clone it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Misha, thanks for your idea. I was able to get into diagnostics and receive a fresh Windows install without losing all my files.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Update on the Weather Channels Jim Cantore. He is heading to Asheville, NC. Asheville is surrounded by mountains and is supposed to get hit with a lot of snow. Don't mean to be mean but I'm glad he's heading there instead of here.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
According to a post today he is on the coast dealing with the arrival of a hurricane.

https://celebhook.com/meteorologist-where-is-jim-cantore-today-is-he-in-nc-everything-to-know/#weather-channel-where-is-jim-cantore-today-is-he-in-nc-location

Ohio looks better all the time. No real tornado threats, no hurricanes, no wildfire, a small, almost imperceptible earthquake every 40 years or so... This is one of the last places in the country that doesn't have a recurring weather threat. Can't live on a coast. Tornado alley in the Midwest, earthquakes AND fires in California, not to mention general stupidity, scorching temps in the Southwest... Great Lakes area is pretty much free of all of that.

You are getting a hurricane from one direction and a snow storm from the other.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/14/22 06:41 AM.

Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
Depending on how much it is worth to you, you can subscribe to a year of Microsoft support. I did that and my blank screen was escalated right up the food chain, until they fixed it. No problems for a long time, but I think I used them twice. To me it was worthwhile.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have Win10 download the updates but warn me before they get installed. There is a little red dot in the tray.

So before I shut down, I do a complete disk image on external media. That way, if something goes wrong, a rescue can restore the condition to its previous state.

Of course, that means it'll want to update again.

But I have the habit of doing this any time I install an app or do anything major on the computer.

As far as Win11 is concerned, I'll wait until a few bug fixes happen before I consider upgrading.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Guess who was spotted deplaning at the local airport; yep Jim Cantore."

Uh-oh! Nice guy but last person you want to see anywhere near where you live. God watch over and protect you. Take care.

Josie

Last edited by Sundance; 01/15/22 10:42 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Jim Cantore ended up seeing about 3 inches (7.62 cm) of snow. My area received about the same amount of snow but also a few inches (5 cm) of sleet. Boone, North Carolina is a few miles from here and received about 13 inches (33 cm) of snow.

I was in and out several times today with my daughter's dog. The dog has gone home so I have no plans to go outside tomorrow. I'll wait until later in the week when the temperature is supposed to be a little warmer.

The laptop is functional once again but I continue to find odds and ends that I have to reinstall. Interesting enough I found a text file that lists every program removed during the Windows repair cycle.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think Jim Cantore may be back. Another blast supposedly going to land this week and into the weekend. Man how I hate winter.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I think Jim Cantore may be back. Another blast supposedly going to land this week and into the weekend. Man how I hate winter.

Just over a month left, quit whining.......

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I wanna go to Miaaaaaaaami!!!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I wanna go to Miaaaaaaaami!!!

Mount the trailer and leave man, nothing's stopping you. I'll watch your house.

Steve

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195