Go To
#695741 01/02/22 03:36 PM
Beginners Forum
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
I have always had doubts about the Normalize Renders setting. Discuss today.

After testing, I found that if Normalize Renders is checked in the settings, the sound is around -6db.
If you do not check Normalize Renders, the sound is around -12.

I have read an article that says that recording each track is close to -6. If it is far away from -6, Normalize Renders is needed. So for BIAB, is it right to check Normalize Renders? If you do not check Normalize Renders, the sound is too low, and you need to use a limiter and compressor to improve the sound. This actually increases the difficulty.

my question is:

First: how do you usually do it. In order to sing and record a song quickly, do you just check Normalize Renders directly? It won't break the sound anyway.

Second: Renger Flat mix is usually unchecked, right? (Check it and there will be no EQ, the accompaniment is muddy)

This is a video I recorded. Remove the suffix .mp3

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
20220102.mp4.mp3 (8 MB, 5 downloads)
Last edited by swingbabymix; 01/02/22 03:49 PM.

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
For my needs I set everything to flat, dry, centred mix. Then export with the “Normalised” option set. I find if I pull all the tracks into my DAW (Reaper) to mix and “master” the individual tracks are too hot so the first step I perform in Reaper is to set (normalise) all tracks to -12dB. This gives me enough head room to mix and master without the end result being too hot. This avoids clipping and allows me to set the levels I want easily.

It also allows me to be in control of panning and to add reverb or whatever to my needs.

My thoughts but then my end product is not necessarily exactly what BIAB delivers. I tend to use BIAB to design and generate the parts and use other tools I’m more comfortable with to manipulate and shape the tracks. I find setting volume or panning automation or tempo adjustments or automated control of plugins far simpler in a DAW where it is a natural part of the tool.

My thoughts

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I think there's a setting to normalize everything automatically. I don't find there's a need to normalize the exports. They generally come out rather healthy to start.

Normalizing just to normalize, because you can.... I'm not a fan of that. Never forget that normalizing bumps everything up by the same percentage. So not only do you get more robust wave forms, you also get a more robust noise floor that perhaps now, you can hear. Add that noise floor from half a dozen tracks and suddenly you have a problem.

Normalize if you need to.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix
First: how do you usually do it. In order to sing and record a song quickly, do you just check Normalize Renders directly? It won't break the sound anyway.

While this may not be the answer you are looking for, I always normalize outside of BiaB (or any other music program for that matter). My go-to for Normalization is Audacity.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

While this may not be the answer you are looking for, I always normalize outside of BiaB (or any other music program for that matter). My go-to for Normalization is Audacity.

If I don't use Normalize Renders.

Then each track is very low sound, I need to hang a waves L1 limiter per track.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2022-01-08_115312.jpg (92.89 KB, 142 downloads)

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
What I don’t get is if you are lifting each track to somewhere near 0dB how you can have your mix at a level that allows headroom for “mastering”. Most things I’ve read or studied seem to suggest each track at somewhere between -12dB to -18dB giving about -6dB when all tracks are combined which is reasonable headroom for “mastering”.

I could be wrong but that is how I understood it.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 01/07/22 08:05 PM.

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Good point. In my mix I allow a headroom for each track so that I can always achieve somewhere -6db and -3db in the final mix. This is usually ample to get the final mix where I need it.

Remember, the decibel measurement is a logarithmic, not linear scale.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
i've never found a problem with BIAB levels but then i mix and edit in RB. very occasionally midi tracks are a little low but then that's easily corrected.
normalising tracks before a mix seems a little counter intuitive as Teunis says - unless you normalise the track and then lower the volume in the DAW mix. using a limiter on individual tracks to achieve the output shown because they are too quiet also seems odd - if that's what the OP is doing.

how is the OP rendering tracks to wav? wouldn't imagine there's much that could go wrong but it's possible

Beginners Forum
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Teunis
What I don’t get is if you are lifting each track to somewhere near 0dB how you can have your mix at a level that allows headroom for “mastering”. Most things I’ve read or studied seem to suggest each track at somewhere between -12dB to -18dB giving about -6dB when all tracks are combined which is reasonable headroom for “mastering”.

I could be wrong but that is how I understood it.

Tony

I'm thinking about a question, don't know if it's right or not.
If the volume is too low, it is necessary to increase the volume, just like the resolution of a picture is increased, it will definitely become unclear.
If the output volume is high, I don't need to deliberately make the sound louder, or even reduce it a bit, so that the sound is clear?

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
It is a matter of just how loud. As I understand it if you have your individual tracks at about -12dB and you have say 6 or 7 individual tracks at the output buss you’ll have somewhere close to -6dB. This will give you a nice place to start working on the final for the track. You can easily lift up from the -6dB and maintain nice dynamics. If you start too hot say -1dB at the output you will most likely be in a position where limiting and or heavy compression is required in order to avoid clipping thereby losing the dynamics of your song. This may not be an issue depending on your style of music. However for most shall we say sweet music or orchestral music dynamics are where it’s at.

The other thing about dynamics, say you’re looking at setting something to -14LUFS to go on a WEB site. If the song is overly compressed it will most likely not sound as musical or loud as a song that has very varied dynamics. Where things are lower (in the dynamics) they also lower the overall LUFS.

Grab a rock type style for a song compress the heck out of it. Then grab a nice country lay back and really let the dynamics happen. Now set them to the same LUFS (or maybe convert to MP3 and run through MP3Gain) ensure they are the same. You’ll notice the beautiful melodic dynamic country song will sound louder. (Well at least that’s what I’ve found)

Mathematically it even makes sense when you look at it.

Just some thoughts. The reason for the long windedness is this comes up a lot. I’ll probably strike up some differences of opinion but there it is.

Tony

PS. Check the various plugins you use some of them are optimised to have an input of -18dB or there about. Same thing if the input is too hot the plugin cannot perform optimally.

Beginners Forum
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
For my needs I set everything to flat, dry, centred mix. Then export with the “Normalised” option set. I find if I pull all the tracks into my DAW (Reaper) to mix and “master” the individual tracks are too hot so the first step I perform in Reaper is to set (normalise) all tracks to -12dB. This gives me enough head room to mix and master without the end result being too hot. This avoids clipping and allows me to set the levels I want easily.

Tony

Hi
I am using BIAB VST standalone output.
Because of the problem of English communication, can you tell me what you said, how you set it up, and let me see it directly through the screenshot of the picture. That way I will understand what you mean. Thank you so much.

2022-01-21_092308.jpg (62.33 KB, 89 downloads)

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Here's mine.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
... export with the “Normalised” option set...in Reaper.. set (normalise) all tracks to -12dB. This gives me enough head room to mix and master without the end result being too hot. This avoids clipping and allows me to set the levels I want easily.
Tony

To make things louder to make them less so.
The default 90 of 100 level used in the BIAB mixer is a good guide...there's plenty of level in the exported tracks and they sit comfortably between -12 & -18 in Reaper which means they are almost "optimum". Adding gain, as needed, in a DAW doesn't, usually, add much perceptible level to the noise floor.

Normalizing makes the loudest bits as loud as they can go, (or as quiet - setting dependant of course), and brings everything else up with them.
Compression temporarily knocks the top of selected loud parts and brings the loudest and quietest closer to each other, (reduces dynamic range). it can do it aggressively - high ration or gently - low ratio.
Limiting sets a maximum loudness and aggressively stops anything passing that point - often with come of the "make up gain" of a compressor added to it so that everything below the max level is raised towards it...or you could think of it as pushing everything way louder and then cutting things off that pass the 'limit" when it sees that the loudest and quietest will be quite close to each other, (brick walling).

Any audio can cause clipping in a VST/plug in...normalized and upward limited are more likely to. You probably won't hear that clipping but it may appear further down the chain as things are stacked, added or ramped.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
From Gear Space:
WAVES L1 Ultramaximizer
"like most of Waves' products it's simple to use. It also has virtually no sound and in about two seconds you can pretty cleanly crank the volume of a mix to ridiculous levels. It is probably one of the most dangerous pieces of software to hit the audio production community, ever."

In other words not to be used when you've not a good set of ears, can't tell when it's gone wrong or just want everything LOUD.
It's also a decade old.

Cheers
rayc
rayc #699772 01/20/22 06:49 PM
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Ok, I do things a bit different because I find it easier to use the Stand Alone BIAB then export the files I want. I might also generate files using other programs. For example, I might use a MIDI file in Cakewalk to to generate a bit. I then render files (tracks) to Audio. Usually .wav. I then pull all the tracks into Reaper and use an SWS extension action "Xenakios/SWS: Normalize selected takes to dB value..." and set the value to -12dB.

This gives me a starting point where all tracks are the same. Everything is the same level everything is set to the centre. I then put Izotope Relay or Neutron on each track (once again a one button exercise). Then I use Izotope Visual Mixer to get a rough layout. This includes levels, position and instrument width. Not that you need to use Izotope there are many methods to do the same. For example in Reaper one could set the pan to Dual Pan and create width on stereo tracks this way with Izotope is is very easy to see it all.

It is possible to level all tracks using the gain options or event volume. I just find it a lot easier to have a place to start. Tracks usually get adjusted away from the point the -12db is simply a place to start. Having all stereo tracks place to the centre before importing the tracks avoids having to worry about where tracks are before I mix. In my opinion the is no greater time waster than a track you just cant seem to set right in the mix only to find it is an imported stereo track panned to the opposite side to where you want it. When it comes to mixing be the control freak - it is your mix. Don't be afraid to try stuff - the worst that could happen is you'll learn something.

Everyone has the correct method - a chap once advised me when playing golf don't listen to everybody's advice you'll just get confused. I asked him does that include your advice.

Hope this makes sense
Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 01/20/22 06:51 PM.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Ok, I do things a bit different...
Tony

To each his own Tony,
it certainly works for you.
After exporting and importing I start in mono with all faders at 0 and do a quick level tweak.
The same but different. From there I "begin".
From then on it's different becasue I usually record my own playing and preamps to get between -18 & -12.
I was just making sure the questioner understood that norm'ing can be problematic.

Last edited by rayc; 01/20/22 08:09 PM.

Cheers
rayc
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
i'm a strong believer in Meatloaf's mixing philosophy......'everything louder than everything else........' RIP

but seriously i wonder if this process caused Matt to say that one of the OPs mixes uploaded for another thread was too loud and was clipping

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,563
Posts734,440
Members38,492
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185