Print Thread
Go To
Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Expert
Expert
Nicely put together video of which chords lead where, how and why in Jazz.
A of jazz musicians use this and similar principles to allow better understanding of the progressions of a song.

It's really hard to improvise well if you don't know a song reasonably well and/or can't reasonably predict where a song is going. Principles like these help a lot.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Apprentice
Apprentice
Nice, but about half way through he simply states that now we need a cadence for each chord in the harmonized progression without any explanation as to why that would be so or what that would be used for. Starts out simple with the basics and then jumps way ahead with no explanation.

I just mention this in that in my looking at this teacher's offerings I often noticed these jumps in his material and for me he spoke just a bit too quickly. This is coming from a jazz beginner's perspective. (long time player in other genres).

This is not a complaint per se, but just my personal reaction to a certain teaching style interacting with my personal preferences. This is why I chose Matthew Warnock for my teaching platform. Of course everybody's reactions will be different.

BIAB 2022 UltraPak, WIN10, Scarlett 2i2, Guitar Rig 6, Fishman LoudBox Artist, Martin D35, Taylor 812c, Cordoba 55FCE, Fender Strat, Epiphone LP, Ibanez GB10se
Journeyman
Journeyman
I agree. From a beginners perspective it assumes prior knowledge of why this is done.
Tonicising" each diatonic chord with its own II V turns it into a temporary key.
Using just triads this was the first chromatic harmony going back to Bach's system.
Why? It facilitates movement to remote keys giving a sense of variety and movement away from and back to the main key. Using the first inversion of the dominant triad of each scale harmony gives chromatically voice led sequences; moving through the key using all 12 degrees.
I.e. Cmaj/AMaj/C#/Dmaj ..etc
So that gives you license to break away from a possibly uninteresting strictly diatonic progression.

Jazz standards add extensions to the II Vs influenced by the Romantic era but its the same system. The difference is that by the late 19th century the major and minor keys on the same tonic were used interchangeably to further increase chord possibilities and ease of modulation.

It also allows for the use of all 12 notes melodically in any key so that non-chord and non-scale tones can be used as tensions that resolve by half step to a diatonic tone.

This kind of quickly resolving tension is characteristic of jazz standards.
Post 1960 originals by jazz composers is mostly a different ball game altogether.

Yet search for Ralph Towner's lovely composition ' Hand in Hand' to see how very overt use of the Bach system can still be used to telling effect today given a few modifications in harmonic colour.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
years ago , i and some rock mates of mine were friends and hung out with some very nice friendly jazzers.
the jazzers were heavy into very advanced extended chord structures. and we would have long intense discussions..
over a pint or two bout simple and advanced chord progressions, etc etc.
what was interesting was that the jazzers lamented often how "the man/woman in the street" didnt appreaciate jazz or even chamber music. as well as the fact gigs were sparse.
at the same same we were banging out G5's and C5's and
F5's etc etc....playing to "the man/woman in the street".

from the above experiences and others i concluded that
the structure of chord progressions have to be "accessible". and relateable to many music consumers.

in that era we also deep dived into "what makes a song
a success". ie what prompts "the public" to buy one song
versus another. we concluded it was due to 2 factors.
one being the sound picture painted by the session musicians, audio engineers and mixdown folk; and the other being the nature of chosen chord song progressions..ie the human
brain seems to react "psychologically" more to some progressions versus others.
i would be interested to hear what others think/opinions of these 2 latter aspects.

happiness to all.
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/26/22 04:47 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
I concluded that
the structure of chord progressions have to be "accessible". and relateable to many music consumers.

This is certainly true, but one must remember that different people see "accessible" as different things, and that even that is a moving target.

One man's meat is another's poison.
You can't please all of the people all of the time.
Etc.

Personally I need to stretch my musical appreciation to new areas.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Journeyman
Journeyman
I'm not sure you can generalise as to better or worse chord progressions on psychological or neurological grounds. It depends on conditioning largely. We can end up with the self fulfilling prophecy where statistics find that the public buys more songs with a VI II V I progression (or whatever) than any other so we conclude that there must be a scientific basis for this. But it equally might be a case of the public wanting what the public always gets anyway.

Can you really want only what you always get? But maybe only because you have ears and a brain that recoil from anything unusual before it gets a chance to work on you.

Maybe we can say that for some moods or emotions we wish to convey that some progressions and devices are more apt and communicative of those emotions than others.

And as for the audience much is dependent on what we grew up with and what the "man in the street" is looking for music to reflect. The Power chords you mention as the word suggests convey 'toughness 'strength', a suggestion of something primeval or mighty, ominous or whatever adjective it evokes. The heavy metal genre which used them were breaking away from what were seen as emasculating blues-free tendencies towards romanticism and impressionism in rock/pop that didn't resonate with the experience of young guys growing up in a tough competitive working class environment. That's just one market though even if its a a large and enduring one

In the 60's and 70's musical genres cross-pollinated so much that people were exposed to a whole gamut of harmonic and rhythmic devices in a way that was hard for the music industry to control and replicate in a standardised manner with 'manufactured' artists who tow the company line.

in spite of attempts to suppress it, today we still We live in a time of genre-busting fusions of all music genres but for many that's anxiety provoking and they take refuge in an atavistic attitudes of 'authenticity', the known, tried and trusted. This means re-creating the past and not deviating from a gold standard of musical devices for each genre established at the style's inception or peak period of development.

This is manna to industry moguls of course who love anything retro and 'safe'. People are essentially hooked on nostalgia; certain songs they know and the styles they're played in. But one person's time-honoured stylistic device is another's time-worn cliche that no longer communicates. Music evolves as it's always done.

I favour music where style is not a consideration so much as the desire to break through listener expectations and directly communicate emotion with strong sound. Not necessarily easy on the ear sound either. If that means unusual rhythms harmonies and progressions or even none at all then so be it. If not then that's okay too.

Journeyman
Journeyman

If it sounds right, it is right.

Abraham Lincoln said that.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,662
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200