Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beginners Forum
A
AdimWit Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi,
I'm new (again) to Biab, because I had to stop using my Version 8 when I got a new 64-bit machine in 2012.
I've forgotten SO much in these last 10 years!

I would love to get advice from some of you experienced users regarding writing for multiple instruments.

I'm trying to write for 5 instruments, including drums. So I asked a chat person about how to create a conductor score sheet, where I could enter the notes for the MIDI instruments that are assigned to each staff.

The person in the chat session informed me that Biab cannot present more than the single treble and bass staves at one time.

But I need to hear all the instruments playing together as I go through the writing process. And they need to play exactly what I write for them to play. No styles, iow.

Has anyone accomplished anything similar to this using Band-in-a-Box? As I sit here, it occures to me that it might be possible to write each individual part here, and then export it as MIDI to another program which can present them all together.

Any thoughts on this? It's not ideal, but better than guessing thru the whole process how the mix of the instruments would sound.

It would be great to hear from anyone who's involved in this process. This is a dream I've had for years. Really hoping there's a way to accomplish it.

Thanks for your info and help!
Cheers,
-Ken

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Welcome to the forums.

Maybe this might work for you:
You can write for instruments individually, and then print a score that includes multiple instrumentation.

Create the parts on each track, then in the Lead Sheet Window, add the instruments you want displayed by pressing the small '+' icon:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2022-02-01_11-38-48.jpg (56.82 KB, 211 downloads)
2022-02-01_11-40-14.jpg (204.98 KB, 211 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
As best I understand what you have said, I would have to say that this is not what BIAB can help you with. Do you actually write notation to the staff lines? If so, then best to use something like Musescore which is free. It will overlay multiple staff and allow you to write and play each individual instrument as one composition. Or, do you play-in and move midi notes on the piano roll? That can be done nicely in your DAW for multiple instruments.

Good luck

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I'm inclined to agree with MusicStudent. There are other scoring programs that are far more suited for your requirements.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Ken, what they said.

But I'm curious why you want to do this in BIAB at all, since you don't plan on using BIAB-generated material in your pieces. You mention starting out in BIAB and finishing up in some other program, what makes you want to start in BIAB?

Beginners Forum
A
AdimWit Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you all for your responses! You have helped greatly. Let me answer individually:

AudioTrack:
Your information above looks great! I don't think you mean that it would allow Biab to play back all the instruments from the score, but if at least it can create the multiple staves, I could add in the instrument names later for printing out and sharing.
Thank you!

MusicStudent:
I actually have been using Musescore, which I have found very frustrating to use. If I enter notes near the right side of a page, it flips down to the next line before I'm thru adding notes! To avoid this, I have to minimize the page quite a bit, too much for my "old, cataract eyes." (Sounds like a nice name for a song!)
I have a small, ancient keyboard, which I just discovered has a MIDI output! All this time I've been poking here on my computer keys. I tried Cakewalk years ago... for a day. Maybe I'm "smarter" now. Worth trying your suggestions. Thanks!!

Mark Hayes:
What I did with the old Version 8 was simply enter music I liked, some Bach pieces for example, and listened to what Biab could do with it.
I never tried to write my own things, nor did I try mixing instruments for combos.
But I have two new purposes now. I'm learning to write (Nothing professional! Never had music theory, but I can "feel" what sounds OK), so I had hoped this program could provide everything I need.

The other purpose, though, will work very well. I'll be helping my sister with her flute playing while the pandemic keeps her community band membership muted, iyw.
She needs to feel she's playing with other musicians. We think this is the way to go.

Thanks again folks! I guess I'll try to learn Cakewalk (my curiosity is revived), or just keep using MuseScore for the writing process.
Cheers!

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Have you tried Realband?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
^^ what Bob Calver said
Use multiple tracks, enter the notes any way you want (piano roll, MIDI, physical entry etc)
And if you set the tempo correctly you can still use BiaB generate features, though it sounds like you may not be, which again leads to the 'why use BiaB for this' question.

Anyway, Realband will likely make your described workflow better

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: AdimWit
But I have two new purposes now. I'm learning to write (Nothing professional! Never had music theory, but I can "feel" what sounds OK), so I had hoped this program could provide everything I need

I, too, aspire to getting back to part-writing. I even had fantasies of sitting by a big window at my local public library with a pad of music paper and a pencil and trying to begin something that way, but at this point the idea of reading in a library feels as ancient as the idea of smoking on an airplane.

Anyway, I am currently looking at Musescore myself as a notation editor, so I hope you're wrong about it. I do a lot of stuff in Logic Pro but it's not particularly friendly with notation.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
This is not what you’ve asked, but in case it helps, this is how I work. I write for a nine-piece chamber ensemble and a 19-piece big band jazz ensemble.

I make the rhythm section parts in BIAB, record them to a .WAV file, and load that file into my notation program, Notion 6 by Presonus. Often I will write the melody in BIAB and often a counterpoint / harmony line, since I find entering those in BIAB to be easier than any other program. Then I export those as Music XML. But them I form the full arrangement with other parts in Notion.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
A
AdimWit Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Bob Calver:
Thanks for mentioning Realband specifically.
I've spent most of my time searching tutorials to see how to enter more than just one "instrument" at a time.
And I'm so confused by the various modules in Biab, it's probably wiser now to start over "as if" I were a total newbie. I feel overwhelmed, to be honest.
As to Realband itself, when I read in its blurb about it being part of a "music production powerhouse", I naturally assumed Biab would do what I've described here as being my goal.
I will dig into it after I clear a few of my "basic-newbie" problems.
Thanks!

rharv:
Glancing again thru the Realband features, I think I see what you mean here. Not completely;-)... but this looks good. Thank you!

Mark Hayes:
Again, my problem with MuseScore may be due to how I need to zoom in so tightly to each measure that I'm working on. Musescore wants to flip you immediately to where it thinks you're next going to enter notes. With the screen homed-in on one measure, that often means the measure disappears before I'm done working in it!
It has positives. It's easy to balance the volumes of each instrument. Easy to change them, rearrange their placements, etc.

Matt Finley:
Wow! I took a quick look at the Notion 6 site. I'm not regretting getting Biab, but that program, on brief look-over, seems to be much more what I was looking for!
The two together? Oh yes!... Am I worthy?

Thank you for this! I don't understand why it didn't come up in my much-Googling.
---

Thanks again everyone! I didn't expect so many nor such helpful answers, nor so quickly. I look forward to reading these forums often. Lots to learn from you folks!

BTW - I'm "AdimWit" because I grew up with a Dad who was a musical genius concert pianist and French hornist, who played in symphonies and dance bands all his life, and a Mom who was not only an accomplished pianist, but a very respected artist and teacher in watercolors, oils, etc.
I never had the sense to learn anything from them. I couldn't gain interest in piano at age 6, so I quit, and am now trying to learn it on my own at 73, because of course they're gone.
And, I love diminished chords:-)
Cheers,
-Ken

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran

BTW - I'm "AdimWit" because I grew up with a Dad who was a musical genius concert pianist and French hornist, who played in symphonies and dance bands all his life, and a Mom who was not only an accomplished pianist, but a very respected artist and teacher in watercolors, oils, etc.
I never had the sense to learn anything from them. I couldn't gain interest in piano at age 6, so I quit, and am now trying to learn it on my own at 73, because of course they're gone.
And, I love diminished chords:-)
Cheers,
-Ken

I grew up in a family that no one played an instrument. Mom tinkered with a piano but never really played it. My uncle on dad's side was the only musician. My kids grew up with me and my bands/music for their entire lives and no one took up an instrument! My two boys got the mechanic's gene from my wife's side; Her dad ran Nascar Modifieds back in the day and her brother raced also. But that was OK as they saved me a ton of money by working on my car; far more than they would have given me if they played in bands wink

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
I let "friends" convince me I wasn't any good. I quit.

Those friends are gone from my life - some died, some still living - and I am having the time of my life with my instruments. I started back to playing after a 33 years hiatus.

...Deb

Beginners Forum
Expert
Online Content
Expert
I actually have been using Musescore, which I have found very frustrating to use. If I enter notes near the right side of a page, it flips down to the next line before I'm thru adding notes!

FWIW, I use the keyboard entry method, digit for note length and A thru G, cursor up/down per semitone and ctrl-up/down per octave.

There are easy enough shortcuts for chord text, lyrics, section marks and so on.

Edit->Preferences->Shortcuts.

I personally prefer keyboard entry as I now have a long-standing wrist issue due to mouse use.

It may be only me and lack of practice, but I personally find BiaB's note-entry almost intolerable. I'm fairly sure sure others will feel the reverse is true. I'll do a few small changes, but for anything more I go to Musescore then Export->Import to BiaB, usually via MusicXML.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
It may be only me and lack of practice, but I personally find BiaB's note-entry almost intolerable. ...............

You are not alone my friend.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Interesting. I’ve used most notation programs and served as a beta tester for two, but I prefer entering a melody into BIAB over all of them. In all of software, this might be the most personal of all preferences I’ve seen.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Expert
Online Content
Expert
A lot probably comes down to what one first learned and whether happiest with computer keys or mouse.

Playing and quantising should work best of all.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Beginners Forum
A
AdimWit Offline OP
OP Offline
A
It's always been interesting to hear about other musicians' experiences in developing their art. The posts here are likewise fascinating. Other than my sister, I don't know any other musicians personally.

For me right now, I guess I'll continue writing tunes and chord progressions, just to see what I can develop.

But what has sort of shocked me is how the 3 or 4 Bach pieces I've memorized on keyboard (because I can't read music in real-time!), those pieces have sort of burned into my hands a feel for where things should go. It's hard to explain. Maybe it's because I play them everyday... if I don't, I quickly forget various sections!!

I'm limited to keys of C or E mostly, because I converted the Bach pieces to those keys before learning them.
And I do have a few years, up to 1990, of learning fingerpick guitar. That helped with gaining a feel for folk styles and those simple chord progressions.
And the discovery of diminished chords (Bach 'taught' me!), has widened my options greatly. Although, I tend to overuse them!

So it's great to have Band-in-a-Box back again, this time with a bit more sense of where I want to go with it.

And I will take Gordon Scott's comments to heart, regarding how he uses a keyboard entry method. Yes, I've probably been making things a lot harder for myself than necessary.

It's fascinating to read everyone's comments. I'll be lurking around and add responses from time to time...
So many forums here to read!!!

Thanks again everyone!
-Ken

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
A lot probably comes down to what one first learned

I'm forever searching for my new ConcertWare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ConcertWare

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Urker
My friend uses ForteNotation for this purpose (I haven't tried it myself), he says that it is easy to work with.
Forte is among the easier notation programs to use. I think there are easier, but surely there are far more that are harder.

A lot depends on how much you need publishing quality of the printout. If that’s the goal, then Dorico is the easiest of the hard ones (over Sibelius and Finale). If all you need is quick basic notation for yourself, then there are different programs that will be better suited to you.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195