PowerTracks Pro Audio
L
lobster Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Hi:

Recently I got a console of Soundcraft Mkt12, with the intention to record audio and workout all channels separately.
I have the option to use Ableton, but I should have to learn it, instead I have also PowerTracks 2020 and think it can manage to do the job.
Soundcraft uses a Asio driver and I'm not clear how to implement it, or if the are some experience in the Forum.
Would be happy to here some information about this.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
If you enable the ASIO driver in Powertracks, what shows up in
Options-Prefs-Audio-Drivers?

In the Audio window you can enable ASIO, then click the Drivers button to enable/disable the available inputs.

If you could post an image of your Drivers window, that would help a bunch.

Do you want to use the Soundcraft for just an input?
Are you using other monitors for listening, or do you intend to use it for both In/Out?

The ASIO device has to be connected to the computer and turned on before launching PT. If not, close and reopen PT after doing so.

Last edited by rharv; 02/08/22 01:49 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PowerTracks Pro Audio
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
guys.
i seem to remember i looked at a used mk awhile back.
if i remember one can record on multiple channels.
but of course be aware that it all has to be set up correctly in not only windows audio devices but also
in ptraks drivers as rharv mentioned as well as like most mixers of this ilk...setting up the traks one wishes to record on.... in ptraks.
it will be the same whatever daw is used. ableton or reaper or any other daw. correct set up is of primary importance.

ideally also if were me i would make sure i was recording the traks to a decent pc rather than some old clunker
of yore.
to the op...tech details on your pc would help others assess the situation better.
i would also suggest one records and plays back from
a fast ssd drive "different" from the one that is used
by the win os.
otherwise win might interrupt recording processes running.
...is this alaptop or desktop. ?

another point is ...i keep my recording pc off the net otherwise there is a possibility that anti virus and
net tasks/processes and other win tasks can interrupt the primary recording daw task.

the above is what i recommend...ie dont load the pc with lots of tasks running at the same time primary recording process is takeing place.

feel free to disregard the advice and run ones own tests.

to the op , please confirm that the mixer comes with its own control panel...and please post pics of your win recording n playback settings as well as a pic of your ptraks settings and the mixer software user control panel.

frankly a LOT of people get frustrated settings things
up properly. be aware there IS a learning curve often.

also if i remember you tube has videos on setting up a mk to record to multiple traks in a daw on a pc.

hth/ymmv
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/08/22 02:10 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
PowerTracks Pro Audio
L
lobster Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Hi:

Well I try it, as regularly used in PWTR, and there I saw also the Soundcraft own Asio driver: see added files.

In the second files I could see and anomaly, that in case of Soundcraft mkt12 recording procedure has to choose channel 14 as input, or in my case I try channel 7/8, and as output would be channel 11/12 (each as mono, monitoring of played), the result shows in the second file : PWTR. didn't get any input, even there was indicating channel 7/8.

I try it in Ableton, for the first time ever, and there was no problem.

So I'm not sure if there is somehow an improvement of adapting the Asio driver of Soundcraft for the use with Powertracks necessary.

I hear any comment, thanks

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
PWTR-Audio driver selection.png (18.97 KB, 135 downloads)
PWTR-Recording.png (305.95 KB, 135 downloads)
PowerTracks Pro Audio
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Lobster.
heres the pg faq.
re recording multiple audio traks.
https://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq65.htm#21

per the above faq it looks like you have not selected
multiple input ports ?

have you seen the above faq ?
if i remember also if you familiarise yourself with
ptraks classics view ...notice the Pt setting meaning port assignments. like you can in tracks view.

are your ports assigned properly ?

failing above hopefully rharv will jump in as i
dont want to misinform you.
also you can always contact pg support.

best/hth
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/10/22 02:16 PM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
PowerTracks Pro Audio
L
lobster Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
That's exactly the point! smile
Soundcraft MTK12 uses a specific Asio driver which outputs all the recording tracks trough Channel 14, so is the USB driver setup, for example for Ableton, and others.
That's why I did so in PWTR.
At this point, I thing that there is not a possibility if PWTR. don't have accordingly Asio capability to interpret that input from USB Channel 14.
I may be wrong! the Asio driver that I used for other records from my Technics KN 3000 in PWTR., which worked fine, was the Asio for all.
But this don't apply to the Soundcraft MTK12.
Today I try it again, and got an anwwer about he Asio driver:

The report of Asio refer to a MAC driver

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
PWTR-selection channel-error Asio.png (90.79 KB, 109 downloads)
Last edited by lobster; 02/20/22 05:17 AM.
PowerTracks Pro Audio
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Lobster...i assume your on pc.
only the message suggests your trying to load a mac driver in ...make sure your useing a pc driver not mac.
in ptw..traks view.
1. right clik over a trak eg trak 1 and a long menu comes up.
what does menu say for "PORT".??
on other traks what does port say ?
2. have you tried asio4all instead of the mtk asio driver ?

i know one can record multiple inputs to different traks
as people like rharv do it.

its prolly a set up issue somehow.
please elaborate...
you said...
outputs all the recording tracks through Channel 14.
do you mean playback of stereo mix via 14th input on mtk ?
each input should be recording to its own trak.
best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/20/22 06:20 AM.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
LOBSTER.
ADDED INFO.
ive gone through the soundcraft manual in detail.
1. make sure you read the pc sections.
2. go to the reaper pc set up part of the manual and read
the instructions. its similar for ptw...
ie select soundcraft asio, and IDENTIFY WHAT INPUTS AND OUTPUTS (via usb) you wish to utilise.
so if say you want to record mtk inputs 1 thru 4 then hilite them in the drivers section.
AS A CHECK IN WINDOWS check the asio driver has been installed per soundcraft manual instructions.

if above dont work load up asio4all and see if the mtk
is listed as an option. it should be. IF mtk has been
registered in windows.
once again in asio4all you will need to identify the routing you want. youll notice the soundcraft manual goes into detail re routing....

failing above i would contact pg support and/or soundcraft support.
NOTE CAREFULLY IN THE MTK MANUAL the section bout setting up mtk as default sound device.
but also note the wrinkle this will allow you to play eg wav/mp3 outside ptw. BUT this will also send win sounds
to the mtk...thus you need to turn this off in win.

posting pics of your win recording n playbck settings would help people help you further.

the above is about the only help i can give you.

hth
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/20/22 08:44 AM.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
om, and OP (lobster) ..
'MAC based' may mean something completely different than what you are thinking
https://techterms.com/definition/macaddress
It's a different way of addressing devices (in Windows, not an Apple induced thing)

My question would be does does this unit have software that comes with it?
Some devices have a separate software that allows routing inputs to outputs, but if PT can't talk to it in the first place, that is not going to help.

As OP noted; previously he was able to use a third party driver (ASIO4All) to make his previous device work .. maybe Windows WAS driver can be a workaround for this issue, but it does appear to be a much more fundamental driver problem from lobster's posted image of the error.

This is a new thing to me for an audio device (being MAC based) .. wish I could help more, but maybe I added some sort of clarity to the issue

PowerTracks Pro Audio
L
lobster Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Hi:

Well I'd recorded in this PC-Windows already on Ableton, with the Asio driver provided (latest) by Soundcraft, so it's this report of been using a driver MAC isn't somehow typical software (I don't know!).
I will look of the options you mention from Reaper, if this is a way, but there suppose to be the use of the Asio driver of Soundcraft trough USB Channel 14 ( collects all inputs), the output channels goes back to the Console trough Channel 12, for to listening or tweaking.
You know as soon the driver is installed, there is an icon placed on Windows , where are all the channels, inputs and outputs, are shown, and the volumes can me prepare. As in PWTR. choosing the Soundcraft Asio driver, the channels have to be choosen. I my case using PWTR, I just could see just one input channel.
I tried also with Asio for all, as normal did other times, I said before by recording my Technics KN 3000.
This driver can't see all the channels, just 1 & 2 (left & right).
Appreciate you help, thanks, probably I will contact Soundcraft and hear what they say, depends on that I'll do a request by PG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Lobster.
Please run this test.
1. In ptw drivers hilite the first 4 channels in the input drivers screen.INSTEAD OF 13/14 .
ie INPUT PORTS 1 and 3...1/2 and 3/4...per your drivers graphic up thread.
2. Make sure you clik on trak 1 in the traks view per pg faq.
3. Now in line input 1 of mtk attach a drum machine or whatever and hit record in ptw…for a few seconds….and stop. DO YOU SEE in ptw trak 1 a waveform ? ..IF YOU DO…proceed to next step..
4. Attach drum machine to mtk input 2…and repeat.
ie Same steps…DO YOU SEE A RECORDED WAVEFORM ON TRAK 2 in ptw.
Repeat for attaching drum machine to input 3 of mtk…etc etc.

This everything on 14 you mention i dont see in the user manual of the mtk.
What page do you see that on ? cos it doesnt make sense to me, but i’m prepared to be proved wrong.

Please run the drum machine test BUT NOT AT HUGE LEVELS TO START and get back to me...also tell me if you see levels on the ptw recording and playback meters.

NOTE THIS FROM THE PG FAQ !!

Note: Multi-port audio recording will only work if (1) the current audio track is a Stereo audio track -or- the current audio track is Mono and the input channel is set to L+R (Options | Preferences | Audio) and (2) there are multiple audio input ports selected in Options | Preferences | Audio | Drivers. BUT YOU HAVENT SELECTED MULTIPLE INPUT PORTS.
please read faq above.

Best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/21/22 11:37 AM.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
I downloaded the Soundcraft MKT-12 recording manual (there is also a user manual available for download). The recording manual clearly states:
Quote:
For PCs, Soundcraft multichannel USB ASIO/WDM drivers are required (available for download on the Soundcraft website) and are used to adjust settings such as buffer depth and streaming mode.
MAC® computers do not require these drivers as the Signature MTK USB audio interface uses Apple® Core Audio drivers
+++ HERE +++ is a link to the model's webpage on the manufacturer's website.

The newest manufacture supplied USB driver is v3.20 released March 25, 2019. The installer includes both WDM and ASIO drivers.

Quote:
* USB Interface Compatibility:
PC: Supports Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
Mac: Supports Mac OS 10.7.x Lion through 10.11.x El Capitan

USB outputs per the recording manual:
Quote:
USB Send and Return channels are numbered according to console channel ledgering, so Signature 12MTK’s input channels 1-12 for example are patched to USB audio channels 1-12. The 2-track (Master Left/Right) output uses the last 2 USB channels on each console and is always actively sending post fader level down the USB stream.

Lobster, the recording manual provides step-by-step set up instructions.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
PowerTracks Pro Audio
L
lobster Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Hi Jim:

I had read that manual indeed,thanks, and all the time been using the lastest driver from the start, there is no problem with the software they propose.
However I had just consulted an expert from Soundcraft, an the way the driver operates is considering the Console (MTK) as Hardware, so the driver is matched for Ableton, Reaper and MAC and so on.
The Asio driver for Soundcraft MTK 12, probably could be surely adapted to be used in PowerTracks, that's would be sure nice!!!
I try Asio4 all, but the expert say it can't handle the Console!!
So I'm stucked, will have to use Ableton for Audio recording in this case.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
L
lobster Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Hi guys:

After updating from version 2020 to 2022, I have good news for me regarding the use of this Soundcraft 12 MTK, the fact is that even though is not possible to record all channels separately (get only 2 channels output from Port 13-14), the midi options works, so for me in the case of audio, I keep Ableton for that and work with PTW64 for the midi. Of course, after recording audio, those files can be transfered to PWT each one, when needed.

Last edited by lobster; 08/29/22 02:54 AM.
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: lobster
Hi guys:

After updating from version 2020 to 2022, I have good news for me regarding the use of this Soundcraft 12 MTK, the fact is that even though is not possible to record all channels separately (get only 2 channels output from Port 13-14), the midi options works, so for me in the case of audio, I keep Ableton for that and work with PTW64 for the midi. Of course, after recording audio, those files can be transfered to PWT each one, when needed.

Yes using Ableton is a possible work-around.
However your previous screen shots show multiple 12MTK inputs available to PTW.
Have you tried holding down the CTRL button and selecting multiple inputs?

MultiInput.jpg (87.63 KB, 44 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 08/28/22 04:17 AM.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
L
lobster Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Hi:
Yes, they appear to be available, but the input is resume to the full OUTPUT Channel 13-14, which is the way it works for Soundcraft 12 MTK-in recording mode, however they really will be shown in Ableton, in my case,or any other software related, separately, which I couldn't get in PWT.
I will try what you propose, who knows, might be the solution.
I will write back.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
L
lobster Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Hi:
Yes, they appear to be available, but the input is resume to the full OUTPUT Channel 13-14, which is the way it works for Soundcraft 12 MTK-in recording mode, however they really will be shown in Ableton, in my case,or any other software related, separately, which I couldn't get in PWT.
I will write back.

Well I try immediately and the results follow as:

In the first , you can see that I chose the inputs,and the following :

driver setup-29.8.22.jpg (82.78 KB, 37 downloads)
recording.jpg (316.07 KB, 37 downloads)
recording-1.jpg (316.58 KB, 41 downloads)
recording-2.jpg (215.62 KB, 38 downloads)
Last edited by lobster; 08/29/22 01:35 AM.
PowerTracks Pro Audio
L
lobster Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
[quote=lobster]Hi:
I will write back.

Well I try immediately and the results follow as:

Last edited by lobster; 08/29/22 02:55 AM.
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Well this is confusing.
Your reply at 7:50AM doesn't show any results.
But the thread is now marked as resolved.

Can you share what worked for you, if it is indeed resolved?

PowerTracks Pro Audio
L
lobster Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Hi:

Resuming: I found that there was every channel recorded, however at first this looked like very low input, almost that for my eyes (I did in my laptop) nothings were there, so couldn't see well and my impression was that that were no inputs.
Then I wrote immediately what appears, but I did corrections of findings also writing the final results, apologizing for my error. I move every wave out and amplified so I saw them rightly.

All this doesn't appear in the tread, don't know why!! I could see it, after I did write it.

I hope this enough to clear it up.

Even though I did close as resolved, I will keep informing how is going and eventually new experiences, that would help anyone to be able to use it in PWT.

Last edited by lobster; 09/05/22 11:41 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,573
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199