Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#704111 02/11/22 09:42 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Folks.
This was originally recorded in Russian. A long time friend Sasha K. recorded bits of harmonica, acoustic guitar solo & ending and also helped me arrange this tune.  I wanted to do a English version, but struggled to keep it in the same form -> more or less linguistically coherent. I asked Ray (rayc) to step in, and he produced a whole set of lyrics, but I still could not get the right  groove, but it moved things from dead point. Finally, a few days ago, it just came to me. I ended up translating the original and using some of Ray's lyrics that worked thematically.  There is no linear story line, not in original version or this. Just some images that came to mind. All feedback, especially constructive stuff is absolutely welcomed. Thank you for listening!

Last Dance Of The Fly

Lyrics:
hey say chain is strong as its weakest link
They try to tattoo their will on our skin with permanent ink
Thieves and swindlers polishing details of gold plated altars
smirking face on a banknote - pale face of the czar

Water grinding cliffs
Wind howls like mad dog
Roads taken over by weeds
Abandoned wastelands covered in thick smog

Graphomaniac miring in the theses he wrote
A dance of a fly caught in cobweb
Lies that he tried to promote
Brigadier tapping holes in the tunic for the shiny new stars
Dervish swallow fire and sabers like sweet candy bars

Water grinding cliffs
Wind howls like mad dog
Abandoned wastelands covered in thick smog.

They say the world is flat as a pancake -
Held by three mighty whales.
Their idol lighter than feather, kind hearted like a quail.
Frightening mask got stuck to the face held by ancient cement
I can hear the Homeric laugh of the spider that lives in the vent.

Water grinding cliffs
Wind howls like mad dog
Abandoned wastelands., Abandoned minefields...

Tech stuff:
Arrangement: Me & Sasha K.
Harmonica + classical guitar parts- Sasha K
Lyrics: me / Ray C.
Vocals: me.
BIAB:
3571:Bass, Electric, Reggae16thsAB Ev16 065
 688:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 065
2290:Horn Section, Rhythm SlowPop Ev16 065
3607:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ReggaeSlow16thsChop Ev16 065
1637:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkBreezyChords Ev16 075
Loop: Chillout\Chillout - day dream_80_drum_loop_g_minor ev16.wav
RealDrums:ReggaeQuarterKickWesPerc^1-a:Sidestick, Hihat , b:Snare, Hihat
Recorded in Cakewalk, synths / drums of Kontakt & Halion.

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Your songs are a treat for the ear! Inventive instrumentation, cool drumming, evocative singing. It's like taking a phantasmagorical mystery tour. laugh

I can't think of anything I can helpfully suggest, so I'll just add this worthless trivia: the "cob" in "cobweb" comes from the Old English "cobbe", which means "spider".

Fun listen! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Misha

A dystopian lyric with an inventive and always interesting backing track.

Great use of percussion and really interesting touches all the way through.

Clever, unique, and engaging.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another cracker Misha,
I love that weird snare pop...like a rhythmic sniper.
The harmonica parts are terrific.
Dark worlds wrapped in your warm, comforting vocal.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Stacks of innovation in this delivery.

Rhythmically incredibly appealing.

Lyrically, full of both suspense and excitement. Your translation has worked very well in my opinion.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I always like an opportunity to read some delicious new lyrics from you (I am a big lyrics fan). This didn't disappoint, even with the help you got. And you always go the extra mile to make an intriguing arrangement. As you often say, thanks for sharing!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Misha,

A lovely song, lovely with that Eastern touch and the use of the collection of instruments.
You always have that extraordinary approach which I really like!
It brings you into a 'mystical' atmosphere. So lovely.

And what an intersting story about the 'coming to life' of this song with Sasha and Ray.
Good work from them too.

One remark, but probably a matter of taste; I think your voice is too much upfront, especially in the first part of the song. And Sasha is too much backwards with her vocals.
What stands is that it is a lovely song.

Nice day,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I love the murky, atmospheric vibe... Truly an impressionistic work of art... I believe I've dreamed of this rich sonic soundscape, somewhere in the back of my head, somewhere in time.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Misha, Sasha, Ray...

Colors for the ear. In all regards.

Kaleidoscopic lyrics. A cornucopia of instruments. Beautiful splashes of rhythm - cool drum choices.

Unique. Inventive. Original.

A great listen.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Misha,

This is very impressive!
It's not "an everyday song".
Some mystic atmosphere, terrific lyrics and voice.

Rob and Anne-marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
a small subjective reaction to toss in

There's a very clever little drum solo at ~00:32 that so nicely tees up the vocal entry, I kept hoping for something like it to happen again – but then it never did.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Floyd.

This has some very extraordinary instrumentation mixed perfectly.

As far as I am concerned you could have sung this in any language and it would have sounded great.

Ear candy for sure.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Hi Misha,

One of the best intros I've ever heard, love the harmonica and percussion!

Just a cool and unique listening experience as your work always is.

Peter summed it up nicely I think, "Clever, unique, and engaging"

Big tip of the hat to Sasha and Ray also.

Loved it!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Seems like I just heard this a few days ago while watching the Olympics figure skating.
Well, actually not but, It could have been played there and it would have been better than some of the music I heard.

A fine piece of work!

moto

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
David,
Thank you for listening and your feedback!
"cobbe"->"spider" fun! Live and learn smile
---
Peter,
Thank you for giving this time and kind words!
---
Ray,
Thank you for listening and your support with this project!
---
AudioTrack,
Thank you for stopping and your encouraging words.
---
TuneMonger,
Thank you for your feedback. Lyrics on this were somewhat condensed to keep some of original groove.
---
Hans,
Thank you for kind words. You made me laugh. Second vocals are also by me... Sasha is a boy (Alexander) smile
Also, thank you for critical comment. I am aware of this. The issue was, I got greedy with all the instruments and if I didn't push vocals all the way up, it would drown completely in instruments.
---
bloc-head,
Thank you for listening and your support!
---
FJ,
Are you spying on me? I almost named this tune "Broken Kaleidoscope" smile
Thank you for giving this time and your kind words!
---
Rob and Anne-Marie,
Thank you for listening and your feedback!
---
Mark,
Thank you for listening and critical feedback! Drums were made from 3 sources. BIAB, Kontakt and Steinberg.
I guess I got lazy making a few similar brakes smile
---
Mario,
Thank you for stopping by and your kind words!
---
Dave,
Thank you for encouraging words! Sasha introduced me to blues when we were in High School. I will mention your feedback to him. I hope to persuade him play more.
---
Captain,
Thank you for listening and your support!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I am always pleased to see a Misha song pop in on the forum. I am not disappointed. You could put this on your greatest his compilation. Enchanting melody and creative instrumentation.

"Dervish swallow fire and sabers like sweet candy bars" I don't who wrote that line, you or Ray? But it's fabulous!

User Showcase
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
v interesting sound pictures. liked music stop.
you have a snare in there that i really like.
nice vocal doubles. nice ending.
very talented misha.
best.
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Great work here. The production is top notch. The lyrics (whoever wrote what) are superb. The vocal delivery fits the style of the song so well. I loved the harmonica. Congratulations to all involved in this project. Well played.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Misha
With the background track BiaB had to give everything ;-)
Really great compilation
Very interesting song with great vocals
I also like the artwork
Very unusual but great song, Misha
And by the way: The song title is genius
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Last edited by PROJECT M; 02/14/22 02:32 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Your songs are always so creative, Misha. I love your story of how this one came to be. Sasha is an excellent choice. Man, a very interesting band driving this song. I can imagine it live on a big stage with so much fun. Sounds very visual.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,617
Posts735,157
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182