Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
How do you tone down the jangly fizzy hats in rts (no stems) without losing the punch of the drums? Maybe I'm overly sensitive but some of these cymbals and hats really drive me nuts and eq alone or de essing does not seem to be answers. It can look fine in Tonal Balance 2 and still grate on my nerves.

I don't know - I've tried too much stuff - I get stressed and the tinnitus flares up - eck it all gives me a headache. Just me???? What's your secret sauce?

TIA for your help.

Josie

Last edited by Sundance; 02/21/22 05:53 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
I NEVER use a ride and avoid as much as possible open high hats. I always double the snare and sometimes the kick. This lets me run the RD track a bit lower in gain but with a good snare pop and that "I think" makes the offending bits less noticeable. So...from a guy with tinnitus and a high freq loss it seems to work smile

Bud

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Bud, I'm gonna try that on a new song I'm finishing up. Is there a musician or mixer/producer over 35 who doesn't have some high freq loss in at least one ear? That's a rhetorical question. grin The tinnitus freaked me out at first when I didn't know what it was but it's not constant Thank God. Besides, I looked that up and there are also lots of famous mixers/producers with that too. So you're in good company.

Josie

Journeyman
Journeyman
that is indeed a problem with real drum tracks.
I posted about it some time ago.

My workarounds

I double the drum track in the DAW then cut and paste bars from elsewhere in the track to fix the really brutal moments. I can normally find something that works. A bit of volume automation and eq (to a degree) also helps

If you try this approach it really helps to match your BIAB track tempo with the DAW tempo so you can get easily clean cuts at the bar line. I normally replace a bar or two at a time.
If its a single hit I typically use volume eq
Having 2 tracks really gives you a nice visual picture of the work.
At least for me

If the problem is throughout the track I generate another version or find a different drummer. Sometimes I'll use my DAW (Logic) drummer.

Admittedly the above are workarounds, not really solutions to the problem.
Sometimes the resulting track is not all it could be. Still better than nails to the brain.
Looking forward to stems.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Expert
Expert
I tend to go to the RealDrum QuickList and pick RealDrums that don’t have rides etc. Quite a number of RealDrums have many more choices than you see in the styles.

To get to the RealDrum QuickList “ To open the dialog, right-click on the Drums track button, and select [QuickList] RealDrums in Song from the menu.”

Hope it helps

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. So I know the kick, snare etc., are at the end of each drum file. When I try to copy the snare or the kick into RB l'm not doing something right. What is the best easiest way to do this? Maybe I should be doing it in Reaper?

Thanks again.

Josie

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Josie,

The following method by Kenny Gioia using ReaComp (or any other compressor) is something that I'd try in this situation. I use this approach with ReaComp for de-essing and it's excellent. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

The basic principle is...

1. Identify the range of frequency inhabited by the sound you want to remove.

2. Send that range of frequencies to a compressor (say,
ReaComp) on a second track.

3. Have the track compress just this range of frequencies.

Adjusting the amount of compression can make quite a difference. Also, the ability to narrow the range of frequencies is also very useful.

======

Another approach from Kenny that might also be useful is to create a band/channel splitter that allows for a particular frequency range to be manipulated with specific plugins. I've found that this is quite a useful technique sometimes.

Hope these thoughts open up some possibilities for you.
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
I wonder whether something based on Spleeter or similar could help isolate the cymbals.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. So I know the kick, snare etc., are at the end of each drum file. When I try to copy the snare or the kick into RB l'm not doing something right. What is the best easiest way to do this? Maybe I should be doing it in Reaper?

Thanks again.

Josie

My method is not particularly relevant as my DAW is Logic Pro but FWIW. I use my wave editor to snip, for example, the snare out of the "kit file" that you mentioned. I then drop the that snare clip into a new track in Logic. I place it in the correct positions on one bar and then copy that bar across the file which takes about three minutes. I then set the RD track to what Logic calls the "Groove Track" and then set the snare track to lock to it. Bingo all the snare hits are perfectly aligned with the RD track snare. Just placing the hits on the proper position within the bars is not sufficient as the RD is a, well, real drummer and they are not perfect but Logic fixes that.

So the whole process might take 10 minutes. I then find a Neutron 3 or Waves CLA drum setting that I like for adding "pop" to the snare. And I do this with other "hits" when I think it will help. By doing this I can added the sound I want to the snare and as previously mentioned pull the RD down 2-3 db from where it would rest otherwise.

Another method I have used is to isolate the RD drum bit I don't like and create a volume automation lane to bring it down. I create the lane for a bar or two and then copy the lane across the entire song. I do is is when Janice plays cajon and I want to remove some of the competitive sounds from the RD.

A big ole FWIW,

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
A lot of good suggestions already.

For the most part, I avoid any RDs that use a ride or open hi-hat. Those are usually in the B sections of a RealDrum - so don't use those. Just use the A section (you can freeze that if you want the B section for other instruments.
I find MANY of the crash cymbals in RDs to be far too loud. Those I tame with volume envelopes or remove and replace with a cymbal sample of my choosing (and a kick since they usually happen together).

A multi-band compressor can help accentuate the snare and kick and lessen the high-end sounds.
Studio One includes a preset called "S1 Drumgroup" that I use (almost always). It includes a multi-band compressor and EQ set for stereo drums.
Using a notch EQ to reduce a small band of high EQ can help, too.

I have done the add-a-snare-and-kick trick in the past. Manually placing the hit in my DAW. It is tedious, but only takes about 20 minutes for a song - (I tried to figure out if Studio One includes a feature like Bud uses in Logic, but I could never figure it out). I haven't done that in a long time though. The more recent RDs have snappier snares.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow, so much helpful info! Thank you guys!

Josie

Veteran
Veteran
To get the single drum samples into an existing project.

Go to a blank track
Import the base RD WMA file to that track
Highlight/copy the sample of the drum you need
Paste it to another blank track
Rinse/repeat as needed
Mute the WMA so it doesn't play during playback, or remove/delete it

I've also used drum samplers like the DR-500 to load these samples into a synth instead, but that's a whole different workflow.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Try adjusting the drum sound using the Band-in-a-Box audio mixer tone control for the drum track. You will be surprised at what a difference the BiaB audio mixer tone control can make to the sound of a track.

Another trick is to make three duplicates of the drum track. Equalize each track so one features the bass (kick) frequencies, the other the snare frequencies and the third the high hat frequencies. Then mix the three tracks to create a new sound you like.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
As with almost everyone, I encounter this problem often with stereo Real Drum tracks.
Step one is to try the other variations within that drum track in the hope that one avoids the sizzle.
Often there're no options.
In REAPER I use a high shelf cut that reaches as far down the frequenciess as needed with a pretty tiny Q.
I'll often, when it's really annoying, add a 2nd instance of the EQ VST and do a band cut right on the most aggressive frequency and leave that "on".
If it's only a problem in sections of the song - say - just choruses, I automate the bypass so the shelf happens when needed.
Try to do the EQing AFTER and reverb etc as reverb tends to accentuate high freqs, (unless you've a reverb with pass filters & know how to use them).
Finally using a mid/side EQ will allow you to address the side the problem is on AND a multiband compressor, oh so easy to stuff up so I try to avoid them, can do the work for you.

I have an EQ preset for BIAB RealDrums I can get a screen shot of that if you need it....It's set up with sections to combat click, click, to address snare and to deal with cymbals.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Veteran
Veteran
You can easily replace the track with a different one.... most of the time I like the drum track and try to find a way to peacefully co-exist with it.

I don't recall if you work in a DAW. That would open up a variety of options if you do.

I will often use EQ and multiband compression. If you have Ozone.... you have the tools needed to do this. But it can be accomplished with most other EQ and kind of with compression but to a lesser degree.

With a good multiband EQ, you can narrow down to the cymbal frequencies and notch them out generally without killing the rest of the kit. Do the same thing in reverse.... bump and boost the snare and kick freq. Using multiband compression can help with the kick and snare by tightening it up and leaving the remainder of the kit unaffected. Ozone has several tools that let you adjust the bands and boost or cut as needed. I've got a few Cakewalk default EQ's as presets for Drums that have the bottom fattened a bit and the top end rolled.

So where does a ride cymbal live Hz wise? Typically between 300-600 Hz, all the way up to 4-6k Hz for upper sheen. “Air” and high harmonics can go all the way up to 20kHz, and beyond the hearing range actually. What this means is that the initial cymbal hit is in the midrange. After a second or two, you are left with the higher frequencies that are in the 4k and up range. If the drummer is riding the cymbal or HH, you not only have the fundamental midrange hit..... but you have an on going 4k+ noise floor that is being introduced. Roll off the EQ from that point. It doesn't get rid of it but it does kind of hide it or take the harsh edge off.

Hope this helps... Those rides and HHs have gotten me a few times. Gotta learn about them and pay attention in the mixing.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
This is such a strange thread for me, as I usually feel the need to work the snare, HH, and other cymbals to get more of their clarity (which is to be expected; I feel compelled to do the same with the multitrack drums we record with actual drummers).
Hearing others have the opposite issue, makes me wonder if it is a genre/RD combination thing .. or if, maybe, I just mix different than others.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
The problem you're facing is that since these are already recorded and mixed performances, you're stuck with the drummer's choice of cymbals and the engineer's choice of mic selection and positioning as well as his mixing decisions. There's only so much you can do about it; you can't unbake a cake.

If they gave you raw, unprocessed multitracks, you could do a lot more. But that would dramatically increase the file sizes and I don't think that most of BIAB's core userbase is that interested in engineering drum sounds.

Some combination of multiband processing or EQ automation might help to a greater or lesser extent but ultimately the solution might be to forgo the Real Tracks and use something else that has a sound more to your liking.

Depends on how much work and/ or money you want to put into it.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: rharv
... makes me wonder if it is a genre/RD combination thing .. or if, maybe, I just mix different than others.

I suspect it's due to differences between amount and type of hearing loss, and amount and type of tinnitus between different people.

I rarely have a problem with cymbals and was initially shocked to find some people hated the sizzle. But I sometimes have issues with some sounds "jarring".

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
B
B
Drum mixing is quite challenging. At least for me.
I always read blog posts about drum mixing and everyone has their way of mixing.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,573
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199