Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
rharv #705341 02/17/22 03:29 PM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Quote:
As for microphones...eh, they all record...you can work out the foibles of any mic to your advantage

Yes. Even the SM57/58 — both sound less than ideal into a modern solid state interface due to mismatched high impedance (these were designed to see the 600Ω Bell Telephone spec found in nearly everything in the '50s–'60s). A little tweak to a barrel connector or a mic cable fixes that and turns these into the excellent mics that they were designed to be. I recommend reading this article on the problem, then the sidebar on what you can do inexpensively to fix it.

Recording Mag article on SM57

Wouldn't something with switchable impedance like a VTB1 preamp do the same thing?
Seems to here.
I don't trust my soldering .. <grin>

Perhaps and perhaps not. Here is why

Certain things need to be known. What is the impedance of the input device?

If you want to calculate a load resistor that’s tailored to your preamp/board’s actual resistance, it’s easy to do. The formula is:

1/Rg = 1/Zd – 1/Za

where Rg is the resistor to be used in the Gizmo, Zd is the desired total load impedance, and Za is the actual load impedance of the input.

A Mackie board with XDR Pro preamps has an input impedance of 1300 ohms; plugging the numbers into the equation, we get:

1/Rg = 1/500 – 1/1300 = 0.002 – 0.000769 = 0.00123

Pushing the “1/x” button on the calculator, the answer is:

Rg = 812.5 ohms

The nearest value in the 1% tolerance series of resistors is 806 ohms, so that would be the one to use.

I did not download a schematic for the VTB1 but Sweetwates shows specifications as Switchable Impedance between 50/200 Ohm which would not work for a 600-ohm mic.

I will try to find a variable impedance device or schematic.

A little electrical stuff. A microphone produces an alternating current (AC). So...things get a little more complex as opposed to direct current (DC) like coming out of your flashlight. Impedance is not really easy to understand.

Take a simple circuit, battery connected to a resistor.

The battery pushes current through the resistor, which "resists" this. Thus, the higher the resistance offered, the lower the current through the circuit.

But there are also AC circuits that involve capacitors (C) and inductors (L).

Each of these also contributes to the overall "resistance" offered by the circuit, except this combined "resistance" is called impedance for the simple reason that it involves not just the resistors, but also the capacitors and inductors in the circuit. It "impedes" the flow of current through the circuit. The term reactance is used to refer to the non-resistive component of the capacitors and inductors.

Yes, as I said it is not exactly simple.

If I knew the impedance of your input device and knew the impedance of your mic I could add a resistor into the circuit in five minutes.

It is also possible to change the impedance of you input device but that can cause other issues.

Billy

EDIT: I found this video pretty well explains this subject in an easy-to-understand way. It also shows how to build a variable impedance device for an SM57. I will go build one and check it out.

Last edited by Planobilly; 02/17/22 03:55 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Re old bell 600 ohms.
there are several variable imp devices that address the problem...eg ?

https://artproaudio.com/product/rp-1-mic-preamp/

specs say imp variable tween 150 ohms – 10k ohms.

useing this would mean also one doesnt need to crank the
pre on the usb audio interface.

see you tube for tests of this type of gizmo made by various manufacturers...down to 40 bucks ive seen them.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/17/22 03:51 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
BLONG #705357 02/17/22 04:50 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Here is a short article by Rob Jones about this subject.

https://www.microphone-data.com/media/filestore/articles/Mic%20impedance-10.pdf

Rob Jones deals with technical aspects of
marketing at Focusrite Audio Engineering
Ltd. He is a graduate of the Tonmeister
course, University of Surrey . Once upon a
time he used to be an actor but then found
music to be far more interesting.

A SM57 will work in any interface. How it will sound is the question. Changing the impedance is the easiest way to change how it sounds. Running it through a tube pre will add distortion in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd harmonic generally considered by most people to add a "warm" sound to the mic. Low-cut filters can be added for cheap giving even more control.

For those of you who are unsure about soldering, it can be learned in a very short time with many instructional videos on youtube. It is really not hard to learn to do. It is a very useful skill if you own a guitar or a microphone as something is going to fail sooner or later.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
BLONG #705363 02/17/22 05:36 PM
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
There's no such thing as "can't sing."

Singing is a natural part of the human voice. If you can speak, you can sing.

https://youtu.be/58hISyYdt5E

https://youtu.be/RY_dYVTZkfI

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens
There's no such thing as "can't sing."

Singing is a natural part of the human voice. If you can speak, you can sing.

https://youtu.be/58hISyYdt5E

https://youtu.be/RY_dYVTZkfI

Hey Bryon,

Excellent stuff on your site. I particularly liked "Princess Of The Forrest". Very nice work.

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I did not download a schematic for the VTB1 but Sweetwates shows specifications as Switchable Impedance between 50/200 Ohm which would not work for a 600-ohm mic.

The specs on Sweetwater don't tell the full story, the actual impedance used is different than the specs you observed.
From the manual (http://studioprojects.com/pdf/vtb1_manual.pdf)page 3
"Mic Input (Rear switch in 200 ohm position): 2000 ohms
Mic Input (Rear switch in 50 ohm position): 300 ohms"

So with the switch at 50 ohm position, it yields 300 ohm .. not sure why there is a difference in this, which is why I asked.
I am NOT an electrical engineer type guy (I don't even like soldering, except for stuff like copper pipe; my electronics soldering has always ended dismally)
To me the VTB1 makes both my LCD and my SM57 sound better than the Focusrite or other devices.
I was honestly asking if this may be why ..
In other words, my original question wasn't meant to be rhetorical, but rather quizzical in nature so I can learn more, so I asked
.. and yes the VTB1 does have an adjustable amount of tube added (12AX7 that can be replaced with a non-stock one), so it becomes more complicated at that point
It allows hybrid tube/solid state mix

My usual setting is about 40% tube, and I have no idea if this would increase/decrease the end result impedance, like I said it gets complicated, but I do like it and wonder if there is a empirical explanation
Never looked for the schematics, but I'm sure they are out there .. they would mean absolutely nothing to me

Last edited by rharv; 02/20/22 07:24 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
BLONG #705809 02/20/22 09:23 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Electronic DIY hobbyists are changing out the opamps for "better" ones in the VTB1. I mention this because they are asking for schematics with no response which is very often the case for devices like this.

This is all the technical information I could dig up.

The microphone front end is a solid‑state Class AB circuit, which feeds a TRS jack insert point, allowing additional processing to be inserted into the signal path. According to the circuit description, a balanced, current‑source‑fed parallel transistor arrangement feeds into a bipolar op‑amp. The transistors provide up to 45dB of gain and the op‑amp a further 15dB. Both the mic input and line output are on balanced XLRs. The line switch is on the front panel next to the instrument/line input jack.

A FET is used in the line input circuit, to present a high input impedance when the device is switched to instrument mode. (In this mode, the input impedance is 1.5MΩ.)

Unusually for a preamp in this price range, the input also offers variable input impedance, via a rear‑panel switch, to suit both 50Ω and 200Ω microphones.

The actual input impedance of the VTB1 is 2kΩ in the 200Ω position and 300Ω in the 50Ω position, as it is normal to feed mics into an impedance an order of magnitude greater than their own impedance.

Whatever theory suggests, your best bet is to try both positions for each application and see which sounds best to you; usually, you'll hear a subtle difference at the low end.

This unit is certainly not designed to accommodate all mics but of course, it will work. I think a SM57 is about 310 Ohm actual, rated at 150 Ohms. Most reviews I have read say this is a pretty good device for a low-cost device of this type.

Without a schematic or the actual unit setting here to take apart and reverse engineer, it is impossible for me to say anything more than what I have read from a couple of electronic DIY sites.

The simple answer to all these impedance issues is to buy or build a variable impedance device. Under $50 to buy and around $20 to build yourself.

All the best,

Billy

EDIT: This describes the impedance issues with microphones in an understandable way. https://mynewmicrophone.com/what-is-a-good-microphone-output-impedance-rating/

Last edited by Planobilly; 02/20/22 10:07 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
BLONG #705817 02/21/22 12:46 AM
Expert
Expert
This may or may not be helpful...

A dynamic microphone uses a diaphragm to capture the air-pressure (sound) waves and convert that into a physical movement that in turn moves a coil in a magnetic field to create an electrical. The system is the exact reverse of a conventional loudspeaker, which changes an electrical signal to air pressure waves.

Amongst the challenges with these processes is getting the mechanical and electrical parts to behave as cleanly as possible, with no resonances to cause peaks or notches in the sound.

The mic/speaker designers will do their best to minimise any such resonances, but there will always be some.

Resonances in this context are like a weights on springs. When you put energy into them they bounce around, and once they start, they can continue for some time unless there is something to take the energy out again.

A car has the same problem and car makers solve it with shock absorbers "damping" the bounce.

In a mic/speaker, the diaphragm, its support and the air around them will form part of that damping. There's also the coil within the microphone that acts as a kind of spring in an electrical sense. There are actually several different little resonances in every such assembly.

One of the few places left after that mechanical damping for a microphone to get rid of the energy in that resonance is to dissipate it into the load resistance, so the load resistance is a significant part of the damping.

The microphone designer will plan that the final resonances will be damped as best they can be with a particular load resistance, but as is obvious, load resistances vary, so all they really can do is to aim for a "best chance" load.

Years and years ago, telephone designers discovered that telephone wire pairs have natural impedance(*) of around 600 Ohms, and as early microphones often had quite long cables from mic to pre-amp, it made sense to use that natural impedance as best one could.

For ideal signal transmission, the three components, mic, cable and pre-amp, would all have the same impedance, but in practice that's not really necessary and it also happens that matching too well is usually not ideal for sound quality.

A kind of consensus formed for a microphone impedance of around 300 Ohms, the cable at around 600 Ohms and the pre-amp around 1500 to 2000 Ohms.

The final piece of the equation is how much of that damping the listener wants. Should the microphone sound bright (lower damping) or dull (higher damping)?

Condenser microphone have their own pre-amp, so little of the above applies to them.

(*)Impedance is approximately analogous to resistance, but accounts for the effects of capacitance and inductance in the circuit.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
dcuny #706277 02/24/22 04:44 AM
BLONG Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks,David!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,692
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200