Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Can I Take an Existing MIDI Style and Create a Custom midi style which has my chosen VSTI plugins pre-installed?
I don't like to have to add vst plugins to improve the sound of the strings or piano over and over again on new songs. It would be so nice to save and use a MIDI style that has my preferred VST instrument plugins already attached! If this is doable can anybody tell me how to do this?

Veteran
Veteran
I know PG Music can associate plugins with MIDI SuperTracks but I'm not aware of a way to associate a plugin on a track and then have the set up saved as a style.

What should work though is to create a blank (?) song (SGU) file with plugins installed.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I know PG Music can associate plugins with MIDI SuperTracks but I'm not aware of a way to associate a plugin on a track and then have the set up saved as a style.

What should work though is to create a blank (?) song (SGU) file with plugins installed.

This is correct. You currently cannot save plugins to a custom Style. If in the future you would like to see this added as a feature to Band-in-a-Box, we suggest posting your ideas in our Wishlist forum because the more people who agree with the ideas, the more likely they are to be included in future releases. https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&c=3

Creating a blank song and using it as a "template" would be a great way of streamline the process of having to add plugins each time. Great suggestion!

Veteran
Veteran
Jerry, thanks for confirming this tip, and welcome to the forum.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If you set VstSynthFont as the default Midi Device you can set each channel to a soundfont or a VST instrument as default. Don't know if the latest PG version has this or you need to get the one from the website http://www.synthfont.com/Downloads.html
Updating VSTSynthfont

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB22-VstSynthFont-VST-Instrument.png (109.93 KB, 140 downloads)
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Jim that is an excellent idea! How would it work in this sense. Say I use a certain plugins to enhance the strings and piano and whatever. Let say this style has 2 string tracks. If I use my default file and change styles to a style that has 1 string or even no strings will the strings tracks be replaced with whatever the new style calls for?
Can I create MULTPLE blank (?) song (SGU) file with plugins installed with different names for the ability to choose which plugins I want on the song or am I limited to only 1 song file? (As a starter I would like to improve the sound of the St-Elmop midi style. But I have other styles that I would also like to enhance.)

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Hewer
... if I use my default file and change styles to a style that has 1 string or even no strings wins to enhance the strings and piano and whatever... will the strings tracks be replaced with whatever the new style calls for?

It will replace any of the legacy tracks except for Soloist and Melody. I honestly don't know what it would do with the utility tracks. But if it does not touch them when you change, that may be the place to use you VST tracks. Give it a try.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Hewer
Can I create MULTPLE blank (?) song (SGU) file with plugins installed with different names for the ability to choose which plugins I want on the song or am I limited to only 1 song file?

I think multiple template songs are a good way to go, particularly if, for example, you have a "standard" band line-up or similar.

A template song really can be any .SGU you want.

My setup is that I have all my/our regular songs in directories A, B, C, etc. under my name under bb/Songs. Also under Songs, I have music from other band members that we don't presently play, I have "WIP" (work in progress) and "MyTemplates".

I often take a copy of an existing song that I propose to develop into something else, so I'd copy, say, Songs/Gordon/C/Carrioca.SGU to Songs/WIP/MyNewSong.SGU and start work from that.

As I'm in the middle of changing from practice/accompaniment to songwriting, I personally have done only some of this ... I'm think one may have to do File->Save Special->Save Song with Patches and Harmony to save VSTs. Someone more experienced with that than me will hopefully elaborate or correct me if I'm mistaken.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thanks Gorden for your tip. Thanks to all who have replied to my question. I have a new suggestion/solution based on Gorden's helpful post. Take a look at it it is the last paragraph surrounded with four asterisrks. This may help some BIAB users.

**A Solution and a Spin-off from Gorden's Input**

I see I can take an existing song, which has the style I want plus the VST plugin instruments that I want to attach. I can use "Save as" and then just edit or delete the chords and put the new chords in. This is much less trouble than attaching and setting the sound patch and the midi channel numbers for 3 or more tracks!

Please consider this idea developed from Gorden's Tip:

****I could also create a Template directory and copy songs that I want to use as templates into that directory, also within that directory of template I could have sub-directories named by the Style that the template uses.****

P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thanks Jerry for your template idea. Does this mean I could have a newfile that always has a VSTI piano pre-installed and VSTi strings too?

Veteran
Veteran
Yes. Once you save a song with a style and settings (including NI VST) you can always open that and use it as your template with it's saved settings.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,476
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195