Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Every time I set the sample rate on my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to 48k BIAB automatically reverts it back to 44.1k. How can I fix this problem? Do the Realtracks use 48k sample rate and does the sample rate setting even matter if I am not recording an audio input?

AMD FX-8350 4.6 GHz, 16G RAM, solid-state drives, Windows 10, Scarlett Audio Interface, 2021 BIAB & RB, FL Studio Producer, Studio One Producer, Melodyne Editor, Ozone Advanced.
Veteran
Veteran
I don't pretend to have the definitive answer on this age old question. For years I thought 44K was the answer. But in recent times I have done everything I can to harmonize 16bit, 48K for all audio applications on my machine. BIAB appears to have no problem with this (with one exception).
The BIAB-VST, while working, continues to throw error messages regarding a mismatch sample rate. So here is my Audio Configuration on my DAW machine which runs BIAB, Reaper and of course system audio. Maybe you will see something that helps.

Dan

MusicStudents Audio Configuration

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
I understand that 48K is the industry standard rate for Video. 44.1K is the industry standard rate for Audio.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
I understand that 48K is the industry standard rate for Video. 44.1K is the industry standard rate for Audio.

What? grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Eugene
Do the Realtracks use 48k sample rate and does the sample rate setting even matter if I am not recording an audio input?

Here is the typical answer to this question. Don't use ASIO with BIAB if you are not recording! Use MME grin I'll be quite now... crazy

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Dan. I think your PC music configuration guide will be very useful. Also I will just switch BIAB to MME as you suggest. I never record in BIAB anyway. I just move the Realtracks or the BIAB VST to my DAW and record there.

AMD FX-8350 4.6 GHz, 16G RAM, solid-state drives, Windows 10, Scarlett Audio Interface, 2021 BIAB & RB, FL Studio Producer, Studio One Producer, Melodyne Editor, Ozone Advanced.
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sorry to barge in but whats the difference in MME,ASIO and that other thing,WAS?
How do they work in BB and whats best?

BiaB2022PLUS,927. every extras pack I can find ;-),Sonar7XL,Win 10
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Wendy,

As you would know, they're all audio drivers. Their role is to process the information any audio signal creates and then send it to the speakers. In that regard, all are equally good. None is better than the other.

Where differences occur is how quickly the information gets to the speakers. In many cases, this is not a problem. If however, you wish to record vocals, or singalong/playalong via external equipment linked through the computer, there may be what's called a "lag time" between BIAB's audio information getting to the speakers and the external equipment's signals getting to the speakers.

This is where the different drivers matter.

MME gets information to the speakers the slowest (and so has the greatest lag time). ASIO and WAS both get the audio signal to the speakers quickly (and so have minimal lag time). I use MME unless I want to record in BIAB, and then I switch to ASIO to do that. Some soundcards don't work well with MME. Focusrite is one of these brands (if I recall correctly).

Lastly... in some circumstance, ASIO is a "one-rider pony" and if two audio applications both use ASIO, only only one will be heard. MME does not have this problem.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Noel's "ASIO is a one-rider pony" statement is important if one is using a DAW. I do not record in BiaB, all of my recording is done in my DAW. Having BiaB set to MME and my DAW set to ASIO I can have both programs open simultaneously. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Wendy.
What is your sound device ?
If its multi client …and many arent (eg RME IS..great unit but outside some folks budgets) then you should be ok. Asio wise.
what i recommend is to rent various audio interfaces and learn first hand how good its drivers are copacetic with your pc/music software....this is what i do if i'm in the market.
in the reaband forum is a post listing the usb interfaces that people find work good in biab etc.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=635707#Post635707

If NOT multi client then i would suggest you use WAS driver in biab. And if you use a separate
Daw software use asio drivers ….for example i use WAS in biab and ASIO in reaper daw.
Works a charm with reaps and bb open at same time.. This way i get low latency. I personally dont like mme but thats me.

the KEY is a good interface with good low latency drivers.

Best
oldmuso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/28/22 04:09 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Noel's "ASIO is a one-rider pony" statement is important if one is using a DAW. I do not record in BiaB, all of my recording is done in my DAW. Having BiaB set to MME and my DAW set to ASIO I can have both programs open simultaneously. YMMV

I do something like this in situations where I need two different audio sources active at the same time. As @marioD noted, the vast majority of ASIO drivers are NOT multi-client. The few that are tend to be very expensive.

Let's say that I've built a backing track in BiaB to play my bass with, and I want to record the combined result. I have BiaB configured to use my laptop's sound card (Realtek) and Studio One configured to use the ASIO driver for my PreSonus Studio 1810c audio interface. I use a 1/8" stereo to two 1/4" TRS mono cable to feed the BiaB audio on my laptop's headphones output to two Line Inputs on my 1810c (I use Input 5 for the left channel and Input 6 for the right channel). My bass is plugged into the Mic/Line/Instrument Input 1. My mic is plugged into Mic/Line Input 3. My headphones are plugged into Headphones Port 1 on the 1810c.

Since I'm playing and singing along with the audio I'm hearing on the headphones plugged into the audio interface, the latency (lag time) of the MME driver for the Windows sound card is irrelevant.

Note that I do try to keep the sample rate of both cards the same, for the times when I switch Windows to use the ASIO driver.

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
On the note of ASIO only be able to be run in one program at time, you can uncheck "ASIO Always On" in Band-in-a-Box which you can find under Options | Preferences | Audio | Audio Drivers when set to ASIO, and turn off exclusive mode (if activated) in your Windows Sound settings, and this should allow ASIO to operate without getting any of those sudden No Sound issues in Band-in-a-Box after having ASIO be active in another program.

Cheers,
Ember
Veteran
Veteran
Some high end devices support multiclient ASIO.

Here’s a little on it. https://gearspace.com/board/music-computers/1020607-audio-interfaces-fully-multi-client-drivers.html

I don’t have any experience with this yet, though.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
PG sent me instructions for MME, i,d like to record audio [ guitar/ mic] i,d just like to record or be able to at least anything !! Im not using MME tho! I obviously need ASIO ! Why send me instructions for MME then ? Thats a lot of settings you show on your link............. am intimidated...............i have to go thru all that?

P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
PG never mentioned any of that when they sent me instructions for MME............Im not using MME tho...............it aint all me ya know,,,,,,,,,,,

P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
You did what? omg...........

P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
I wonder if that explains why PG sent me instructions for MME? Never gotten past all these settings and stuff, never occured to me to export into my daw, however sure to connect mic or guitar biab needs to be in asio? Confused in north devon.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
peterkirk

what is your sound device ?? on board pc sound or a proper usb studio interface...i recommend useing a proper interface.

please give details.

best
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: peterkirk
PG sent me instructions for MME, i,d like to record audio [ guitar/ mic] i,d just like to record or be able to at least anything !! Im not using MME tho! I obviously need ASIO ! Why send me instructions for MME then ? Thats a lot of settings you show on your link............. am intimidated...............i have to go thru all that?

MME isn't ideal for recording, so you'd want to use ASIO or WAS - both are low latency. ASIO is recommended for audio interfaces. You can see a video tutorial one of our staff put together here that goes over how to set up audio recording with an audio interface:

Cheers,
Ember
C
Veteran
Veteran
C

05/21/2022

... Still not successfully connected Mic or guitar as yet nor since 2019. Cant even jam with it.

No. You don't. You don't have to suffer the intimidation or frustration.

Transition recording your mic and guitar over to a stand alone digital multi track recorder and either use the SD card or USB cable to move the recorded tracks to your PC and DAW.

Dump the audio interface. Tracks recorded on the external recorder will be indistinguishable from tracks recorded into an audio interface.

No MME
No ASIO
No WAS
No Windows audio changes or setup
No Drivers to load and configure
No Latency
No Input device to configure in BIAB/RB

For recording guitar and vocals, I recommend the Tascam DP-03SD. If you plan to do all of your post processing in your DAW, then the Tascam DP-006 will be sufficient for recording. Both the six tracks of the 006 and the eight tracks of the DP-03 are irrelevant to your specific needs and are not a restriction or limitation. These hardware devices are ideally suited and work extremely well with a program like BIAB that's generating high quality tracks to work with.

You'll enjoy immediate success recording your mic and guitar. It's simple to transfer recorded audio files back and forth between the recorder and your PC and DAW.

Here's a recent video describing using a hardware multi track recorder in a home studio.

Best Home Recording Studio for under $400

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,555
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199