Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#706717 02/27/22 06:49 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So Neutron Standard is among the Izotope plugins I have now. Today I discovered something very interesting.

In February, as some of you know, I participated in February Album writing month and spent hardly any time on mixing, just did really quick writes, with a lot of one-take everything and fast mixes. On the master bus I had one tool (IK Multimedia's "One" plugin which is pretty cool) so there would be at least something. I.e., it did the trick for the time-being.

Today, I decided to take one of the "master stems" from one of the tunes that has a really tricky instrumentation (sonically) and some hard sounds to master, like piano.

I took that stem and ran it through NOTHING but Neutron 3 Standard and chose mastering assistant. In other words, no Ozone 9, no nothing, and I have Ozone 9.

The results to me in terms of overall balance, tone and warmth, of especially the bass and piano and the positioning of instruments (or frequencies rather) was astonishing.

I saw that what I had done with just the "One" plugin was not actually "bad" and not far off--that I did not need an overhaul or a heavy-handed preset loaded with effects.

I just needed some balance. I feel I could actually go with this new master just using Neutron and I would be quite happy.

That was a real eye-opener for me.

Also, never in a million years could I have made the mixing decisions and EQ decisions along the way that Neutron made after the fact.

However, I think because I spent at least some time "getting it close" that Neutron was able to "take it from there."

Anyway, this was interesting to me and I will study it more.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I have acquired both iZotpe's Nectar Plus and Ozone9 standard this year due to their significant discounts ($59/each) on both products. I have realized similar "benefits" from using both products, and with the excellent presets they provide, I get much better vocal end results with Nectar than I did previously where I used several plugins for the vocals and most recently have been relying on Waves Scheps Omni Channel for both vocals and mixing. Nectar Plus is very good and very easy to use, but eats up CPU, so I've had to alter my workflow to create the instrument tracks first, export a rough mixed track and import that into a second DAW project where I use Nectar to process the vocals.

Ozone9 does a similar very good job for mastering, the benefit of which is can be, and should be used, in standalone mode, to allow better CPU handling.

So now my workflow starts with BIAB2022 to develop and pre-mix an instrumental track; export the tracks into my DAW; process the tracks with plugin instruments and effects as desired; export a mixed track into a seperate project; record the vocals and process using Nectar; then export the vocal track(s) back to the instrumental project for final mixing. Then a simple export of the finished mix into a standalone Ozone9 for mastering. Seems more complicated and time-consuming, but allows me to keep using an older PC with the newer, more CPU intensive products, and still enjoy the "art" of making a personally pleasing song!

Last edited by cfcboc; 02/27/22 02:48 PM.

Cz...
BIAB,Bandlab Cakewalk,Kontakt, Cantabile, SampleTank4,IK BX-3, VB3, iZotope Suite, IK TRacks, Melodyne Studio
Kurzweil PC4SE, AXIOM-61key & IKiRigPro-32key boards, Roland SD-50 MIDI, Behringer 404HD, Maschine MK3,TC Helicon Voiceworks
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

I have a similar process, and am not ashamed smile

I try to keep the basic tracks to seven (though I may have four or five vocal tracks) because clutter never works for me.

Then I have separate boards for mixing drums, often use up to 8 tracks for those, and vocals. I use so many VSTS on the vocals and drums it just would not make sense to try and do that on one single board. Then I mix those down with effects.

Once the mixed and processed stems are in the basic mixing board I have no need for CPU hogging stuff and any computer could handle it.

This takes MUCH less time that having a large messy file on one board, and trying to figure out what is going wrong. I would RATHER deal with drums and vocals on different boards so I can see and hear exactly what is going on. Because again, I use A LOT of plugins on those tracks.

The final exported master stem will be treated by whichever plugin will do the best job. Sometimes it will only be audacity, because the sound will already be exactly as I want it and I do not want it "squashed" or too doctored. I choose my plugins in mixing carefully.

I like Ozone, but sometimes it is just too much.

I am astonished, as I said, on just using Neutron 3 and only Neutron 3 on a recent track that had IK's "One" on the output and what a difference it made--and it still sounds like real music, not a blue brick. I hate the overcompressed blue brick sound.

smile

Veteran
Veteran
My favorite Neutron feature is the Un-masking module. I use it in every mix. Dunno if the standard version has it.

Bud

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

I see it on Nectar.

smile

Veteran
Veteran
Dang... all I have is Ozone 4

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

If you had said Ozone 5 I could respect you.

That thing is a beast!!

They could have just stopped there if you ask me.

Many producers swear by Ozone 5 to this day.

smile

Expert
Expert
iZotope and Native Instruments have an interesting deal going on right now. Yes, these bundles include Neutron 3. Here's the link.

iZotope Music Production Suite 4.1 and Komplete Offers

If you own some of their products already, the savings are pretty deep.

Coals to Newcastle for me. I already have all of this.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

If you had said Ozone 5 I could respect you.

That thing is a beast!!

They could have just stopped there if you ask me.

Many producers swear by Ozone 5 to this day.

smile

I like Ozone 9 adv because I can use any of the modules separately from the package and IMHO and based on comparisons I feel the later versions of the modules are superior. I particularly like the Dynamics module that is essentially a multi-band compressor. And of late I've discovered the benefits of the Dynamic EQ module that is, for me, a great benefit in helping creating the "open airy" mixes that we like. FWIW, I find that Ozone 9 is light years beyond earlier versions (and I started with V3 or V4). We have created a large bank of our own user presets that with minor tweaking per song work well for us.

YMMV, grains of salt and many FWIW's

Bud

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

I dont kaare. Is that how you spells it. Y'all fancy talking people don't make me no never mind. All I know is I grab an old 1972 Yamaher and mic 'er and run 'er through some Ozone 5 and I'm gonna best ya ever time.

You can flap yer gums all you want about yer Ozer and your Nuetrers and I just ain't listening Bud.

I'm gonna do it the way I always have because I'm me and you ain't.

So there. I got me some corn likur drinkin to do so goodbye.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
[quote=David Snyder]

I like Ozone 9 adv because I can use any of the modules separately from the package and IMHO and based on comparisons I feel the later versions of the modules are superior. I particularly like the Dynamics module that is essentially a multi-band compressor. And of late I've discovered the benefits of the Dynamic EQ module that is, for me, a great benefit in helping creating the "open airy" mixes that we like. FWIW, I find that Ozone 9 is light years beyond earlier versions (and I started with V3 or V4). We have created a large bank of our own user presets that with minor tweaking per song work well for us.

I agree 100% Started with Ozone 2, moved to Advanced with v.3, am now at 9 Adv. and never looked back.

Unfortunately, iZotope's subscription model does not include all the functionality of the Advanced versions of Ozone or RX. Nuts to that noise!

Ozone 5A did have a Reverb that I liked for Room and small Hall settings but that module disappeared in 6 and I got over it with other reverbs.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran

Ozone 5A did have a Reverb that I liked for Room and small Hall settings but that module disappeared in 6 and I got over it with other reverbs.

I still use Nectar 2 for most of my reverb use. It has a sim of the old EMT 140 Plate reverb that I much like. It was not carried over to Nectar 3 and the only reason I haven’t yet upgraded to Monterey is concern it (Nectar 2) might not run properly.

Bud

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

I love Nectar 2.

Aside from my joking, I think I have pointed out that I have more than 900 plugins now and think I have pretty much everything Ozone and IK Multimedia ever made.

But I still pick and choose--a lot--depending on the song and what I am going for. That is, for just one example, I have Ozone 9 and I have Ozone 5. In some cases I will want to use one, in others, the other--or something else entirely. Like "One" from IK Multimedia. It just depends.

And in some cases, just good old Audacity.

To each his/her/their/we're own y'all!!!! smile Rock on!!!

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
RE PLUG INS.
Heres a little fun challenge ive done in the past.
Give it a try. Do a mix with just the standard pg plug ins and the plug ins built into your daw.
THEN redo the mix with all ones fancy plug ins, and then play both for the “man in the street”.
And see what they say.
…………………………………………………………
Heres my own logic.
Tween pg and reaper jesusonic/vst plug ins and the plug ins from computer music mag, {the combo being highly underestimated imho) i have something like 180 plug ins and instruments etc.
THUS if i cant do a good song with that lot, then i’m at fault.
Further my logic goes something like this.
BP (before plug ins) great songs were done over the decades. Further i would propose
That the great AE’s of the past would prolly still do great songs using the pg and some free plug ins. Cos thats their forte with inventiveness added into the mix.
The other piece of logic i muse over is ive seen first hand the magic good AE’s in big studios
Wield. Thus prolly if someone was interested in one of my songs…it would be often remixed in a big studio facility with all the added fancy gear such have.

In conclusion, the above are some of my thoughts i’m shareing when i get gear lust for
Fancy plug ins. One of my other thoughts is….how many people when they become a first
Time pg biab/rb user really explore in depth and experiment with the free pg plug ins ?
OR do they go “oh they are free, cant be any good”.

Finally , there is a great thread with goodness so many views about free plug ins at reaper.fm
(and other net sites) that is interesting to read.

Finally i’m not saying i’m any good blah blah, just suggesting alternatives to explore if money is tight. Cos i like to eat…lol.
Anyhoo try my little plug in challenge sometime, and see if it brings a different perspective.
And for those that havent done it , respectively really try in depth the pg plug ins in conjunction to copying and sliding track copies related to the original track <<an old skool clue.

Best/happiness
Silly old muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 03/03/22 06:55 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Kind of. But not really. Maybe we are on the same page but I have a hard time following you sometimes.

When the Beatles went into Abbey Road there were entire rooms with columns and plates and chambers just to get some reverb. Their plugins were literally the size of a house.

Now, you can get many of the same effects they used and 900 to 3,000 others (or more, but I only have 900) from plugins on your laptop.

Producers are people who pick and choose and aren't married to one thing. They are constantly experimenting.

Yes, Reaper has some good stuff and I use it. But there are some things Waves plugins can do that others can't, and the same with Ozone, IK Multimedia and others.

I like having lots of choices. Very, very specific choices.

Veteran
Veteran
Back in the old days, before all these fancy plug in FX gizmos with tons of presets.... they had a very limited number of options and yet... some of the best classic rock and roll mastering came out of those studios. Stuff that people today still aspire to replicate.

It's not about the toys and tools, it's about what you can do with the tools that you do have. At least that's my POV. Learn to work well and produce good results with the couple of things you have vs throwing a couple dozen things at it hoping that one of them will be the magic touch. (Throwing things against the wall to see what sticks)

I have a limited number of FX. I had a bunch in my former DAW and when I built this one, I decided to only migrate the stuff that I actually liked and more importantly, used. Literally I have the defaults in my Daw, Ozone, and Melodyne. Those are my go to FX.

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but that's OK too.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Everyone always says that Herb until someone like BIAB introduces playable Real Tracks in 2022 and then some people, who are honest, have to admit that whatever they were using in Reason 2002 no longer compares.

Just sayin.

smile

Hey man how's that Molly Hatchet cover coming along by the way?

Did you turn it up to 11???

smile

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Kind of. But not really. Maybe we are on the same page but I have a hard time following you sometimes.

When the Beatles went into Abbey Road there were entire rooms with columns and plates and chambers just to get some reverb. Their plugins were literally the size of a house.

Now, you can get many of the same effects they used and 900 to 3,000 others (or more, but I only have 900) from plugins on your laptop.

Producers are people who pick and choose and aren't married to one thing. They are constantly experimenting.

Yes, Reaper has some good stuff and I use it. But there are some things Waves plugins can do that others can't, and the same with Ozone, IK Multimedia and others.

I like having lots of choices. Very, very specific choices.

Exactly. We use nothing but a suite of Logic Pro, Waves and Izotope FX via presets curated by us. A lot of these presets were to match as much as possible sounds we used got during our analog recording days. These specific choices have at the least enabled us to dig into and learn the in's and out's ( smile ) of these products. Meaning we do not have to experiment every time we work on a production. The older I get the more I avoid new rabbit holes!

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
I too am a big fan of the Izotope products. I love the unmasking feature in Neutron. I use it for drums and bass. Ducking the bass I.e. side chain dynamic eq and the kick.

Also adding relay to the keyboard and rhythm guitar busses you can check the masking.

Also the overall mix can be dialed with Tonal Balance and your genre based reference tracks.

Very cool tools

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Veteran
Veteran
For those not completely on the Izotope train (I've only got the entry-level versions of the tools), TrackSpacer can be useful for carving out space when there are competing instruments.

Of course, you'd want to wait until a sale instead of paying the regular price. wink

But having an all-in-one solution certainly makes life easier!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200