Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#706774 02/27/22 04:56 PM
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
David Bennett discusses song that use 'Backmasking'

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Songwriting
Expert
Online Content
Expert
I've used reversed sound in the theatre more than a few times. It's very effective at unsettling the audience without them understanding why they're unsettled. Reversed ambient sound is subtly disturbing.
There are few sounds more disturbing than a scream in reverse.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Very interesting.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for posting this; as Mario said, very interesting.

I toyed around with this on one song. Took the ending bit, reversed it and had a rather interesting intro. (Or so I thought grin)

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/track/walk-in-the-city

Regards,

Bob

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
OK... interesting topic. Subliminal advertising.... very similar.... you insert images of one thing that look like something else to the subconscious. Movie theaters have flashed single frames of popcorn and drinks on the screen to encourage folks to visit the snack bar.

I saw a magazine in a store one night. It was US magazine. I asked my friend what he saw on the cover. He said Farrah Fawscet. I told him to look closer. After I described what I saw, he saw it too. The letters E and X were clearly visible in the way her hair was done.... with the S in US.... SEX was clearly visible across the cover of the magazine.

Musically.... I've been fascinated by this for a long time.

So this is easy to do in the studio. You simply reverse the audio and put it in..... However..... knowing the story of Stairway To Heaven..... One day, the movie THe Song Remains The Same came on the TV. SO knowing that they would perform STH, I set up a mic to my Tascam 1. I recorded their LIVE performance. Knowing where in the song it was supposed to be located.... If there's a bustle in your hedgerow don't be alarmed now,it's just a spring clean for the may queen..... I flipped the tape. On the live performance at Madison Square Garden, you can still hear the words Satan my sweet satan.... including to a lesser degree the remaining part of that sentence of 26 or 27 words.... kinda interesting that it happens on a live recording from a concert.

Zep and the Beatles are just the tip of the satanic iceberg with backwards masking....

Is there anything satanic to this? I'll let you decide.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I'm not a fan of this loose, clicky use of the term "backmasking" to label all reversed audio. It implies some kind of "hidden" (possibly Satanic!) content, which is usually not the case.

Zappa reversing an entire passage in "Mother People" because the lyrics had been censored, fine, let's call that backmasking.

But any of that Beatles stuff? Call it reversed audio. There's no hidden message being "masked", it's just a production technique.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 02/28/22 05:29 PM.
Songwriting
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
When I listened to the alleged back masked part of "Stairway to Heaven," all I heard was garbled nonsense.

http://www.skepdic.com/backward.html

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Songwriting
Expert
Online Content
Expert
It worth bearing strongly in mind that the human brain tries very hard to make sense of what is sees and hears.
That's why we see faces in fairly random shapes and blotches in toast, fruit, tree trunks and what have you, and why we start to hear, or think we hear voices in almost anything that's at a vocal-region pitch and even faintly in white noise.

It always puzzled me why anyone would play music backwards looking for hidden messages.

If one really wants to make a reverse message, a vocoder-type device would be an easy way to do it. Reverse the sound, code it, play it forwards.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
It always puzzled me why anyone would play music backwards looking for hidden messages.

Or TV theme songs. The theme from “Mr. Ed” supposedly contained the lines “the source is the Devil” and “someone sung this song for Satan”, both of which you can indeed hear if that’s what you want to hear.

The reverse song got some airplay at the time and I remember reading that royalties still had to be paid.

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My view is that songs that use 'backmasking' where the subliminal message is barely legible and takes a massive amount of very 'adventurous interpretation' (whether played forward or in reverse) is most probably purely coincidental.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
I'm not a fan of this loose, clicky use of the term "backmasking" to label all reversed audio. It implies some kind of "hidden" (possibly Satanic!) content, which is usually not the case.

Zappa reversing an entire passage in "Mother People" because the lyrics had been censored, fine, let's call that backmasking.

But any of that Beatles stuff? Call it reversed audio. There's no hidden message being "masked", it's just a production technique.

I strongly agree, it's just a production technique. I've played around with it a couple of times, but usually it makes very little sense, to try to hide any messages as 2022 gives you so many platforms, where you can share you real message, rather than trying to cover it up into something intended for the subconscious.

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Quote:
The theme from “Mr. Ed” supposedly contained the lines “the source is the Devil” and “someone sung this song for Satan”, both of which you can indeed hear if that’s what you want to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHbHpz3KwnM

Around 0:38

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The words can be more-or-less identified, but they are just phonemes, and purely coincidental. That I'm sure of crazy

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
All I heard was a bunch of weird @ss noises!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not hearing it.... but it does kinda sound like someone is using German.

AND.... I'm more concerned about the demonic aspects of a horse that talks.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I'm not hearing it.... but it does kinda sound like someone is using German.

AND.... I'm more concerned about the demonic aspects of a horse that talks.

Yes, I agree. As I mentioned, the words (syllables?) can be more-or-less identified, but they are just phonemes, and purely coincidental.

Re said horse: I read somewhere that they placed string or cotton between the horses teeth which it attempted to dislodge with mouth/lip movements. Must've been very annoying for the horse. These days, improper animal welfare might rightfully be used to describe the technique. However, keeping this thread musically orientated, the song "Mr Ed" was composed by Jay Livingstone and Ray Edwards wink

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I did this once. Some time back I did an experiment with looping and layers and the like and Rog did some guitar for me. (I asked him for ANGRY guitar and he knew just what I wanted.) Because the chord pattern was palindromic his guitar work fit both forward and backward. I have played that song for many people and when they finished listening I asked them if they could tell that one of the guitar parts was backward masked. Not too many could tell which one. It's an interesting concept.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I use bits of backward music often...it's very easy in Reaper...record a chunk of audio. click on the item, select item properties or similar and select reverse...BAM...the image is reversed as well as the audio.
With spoken language it becomes more complex as a phoneme needs to convey/change meaning and a reversed phoneme may not, necessarily, do that.
These days there's a lot of "backmasking" done for fun & because the technology is so simple to acquire and use that experimentation occurs and many folk get a thrill from the "subversive" possibilities.
Revolution #9 has some but it's nothing particularly exciting. In fact it sounds much better forward than reversed...no shock in that.
Bowie used an Iggy Pop backing track in reverse for himself...he wrote the piece so that's fine.
I wouldn't call it "backmasking" if it's not actually masking something though.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
OK, I'm gonna slip this non-BIAB cover in here 'cos it's way on topic (and pretty good, too, I think.) It uses reversal extensively, there's a whole layer of backwards audio that fades in and out:

Mysteries of Love

Words: David Lynch
Music: Angelo Badalamenti

Production by moi with Ruby Dubidoux on vocal, an online collaboration from 2009.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 03/10/22 09:37 AM.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
OK, I'm gonna slip this non-BIAB cover in here 'cos it's way on topic (and pretty good, too, I think.) It uses reversal extensively, there's a whole layer of backwards audio that fades in and out:

Mysteries of Love

Words: David Lynch
Music: Angelo Badalamenti

Production by moi with Ruby Dubidoux on vocal, an online collaboration from 2009.

OOOOH, noice.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,463
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195