B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
[BTW, I am not the BitFlipper on the Cakewalk forums...]

I have to say, RB is quite buggy. Here are a few examples:

First example:
I imported a BiaB song which had various bar settings at individual bars. Mute/unmute some instruments, that sort of thing. Those bars are shown with a red box around the bar number in BiaB. In RB, the imported song would show similar red boxes around the bar numbers, except they were now at the WRONG bars. I believe they were offset by two bars or something. So the generated song would play completely wrong because the instruments would be muted/unmuted at the wrong locations.

EDIT 1: How do I remove bar settings from within RB? So far I was unable to figure out how to do that.

Edit 2: It looks like the bar settings appearing on the wrong bars might be caused by deleting measures before those bar settings. So RB shifts all the data in the measures but not the bar settings. But even before deleting any measures, the bar settings are applied at the wrong locations. After deleting measures, the bar settings are applied at different measures, but still at the wrong locations.

Second example:
So I had some generated RealTracks in RB. I then tried to generate a MIDI track using a different style. The MIDI track was below all the RealTracks. As I was struggling to make it work (see Third example below), at some point my first RealTrack (the bass track) suddenly changed to a track that contains MIDI notes even though i wasn't even working anywhere near that track. The waveform was no longer visible, but the mysterious MIDI notes were. I then did an Undo, but nothing happened. I did another Undo, and this time things I changed previously was undone. Which means I could not undo the change that happened to the RealTrack, but I could only undo all my steps prior to that. I then tried to force the bass track to re-generate, but got a warning that I could not do that with a track that contains MIDI data. I then selected the whole track and deleted all the MIDI notes. Again I tried to re-generate the RealTrack, and again I got a message about not being able to do it because it already contains MIDI data. OK, so the RealTrack is now lost. How do I get it back?

Third example:
For some reason, when I generate data on a MIDI track, some parts of it refuse to play back, while other parts do. There are MIDI notes throughout the whole track, but some parts just refuse to make any sound. This might just be a setting where it is following some bar settings as mentioned in the First example, but since I could not figure out any rhyme or reason for exactly why it seemed to happen at random points in the song, I assume this is a bug.

These kinds of problems just make using RB a pain to use, and I end up struggling to work around these issues instead of focusing on the music.

Note: I have RB 2010 build 2. I just downloaded 2010 build 4 but I read through the release notes and I didn't see any of these issues fixed (or maybe I just missed it). Were any of these issues fixed in build 4?

Last edited by BitFlipper; 04/23/10 12:47 PM.

BB+RB 2014 (3)
Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Others may give you a point by point detailed answer but I'll just say this. All these points are correct normal functions and are in the manual. I'll just give you two examples:
In point 2 "the midi track was below all the Real Tracks". Right, RT's are not midi they're audio tracks, read the manual about the difference between Band in a Box tracks and regular audio/midi tracks. It's true it's a bit confusing for a noob but you really have to read the book and this RB forum. In point 3 you talk about some notes not playing on a midi track. That almost certainly is caused by a given instrument being out of normal playing range of the midi notes in the track like notes below the low E on a bass guitar track or high notes on a trombone track or whatever. Some synths will play those notes, some won't it depends. That has nothing to do with RB.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Quote:

Others may give you a point by point detailed answer but I'll just say this. All these points are correct normal functions and are in the manual. I'll just give you two examples:
In point 2 "the midi track was below all the Real Tracks". Right, RT's are not midi they're audio tracks, read the manual about the difference between Band in a Box tracks and regular audio/midi tracks. It's true it's a bit confusing for a noob but you really have to read the book and this RB forum. In point 3 you talk about some notes not playing on a midi track. That almost certainly is caused by a given instrument being out of normal playing range of the midi notes in the track like notes below the low E on a bass guitar track or high notes on a trombone track or whatever. Some synths will play those notes, some won't it depends. That has nothing to do with RB.

Bob

Are you for real? I said the MIDI notes appeared on top of the RealTrack where they should not have been in the 1st place. In the second point you bring up, the MIDI notes are all more or less in the same range [in fact, they are the same chords repeating throughout the song]. The fact that in some measures they play fine, but in others those same notes are muted makes your point moot.

Maybe you are the noob here. A noob at reading comprehension. Are you just such a big PGMusic fanboy that you believe their products have no bugs?

Unbelievable...

Last edited by BitFlipper; 04/23/10 01:05 PM.

BB+RB 2014 (3)
Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
That was fairly rude from someone asking for help.

It wasn't a very helpful answer apparently, but anyway ..

I wish I could help, but I have never experienced this. I do believe there is a two bar difference in the numbering of bars for the two programs. Realband will have -1 as I'm sure you noticed.

The latest update does correct a few other issues that might have been related. (Fixed: In the F5 Bar settings - when you select to Mute "ALL BB Instr." OR the Soloist track in the Bar Settings dialog, ANY RealTrack that you generate conforms to those settings...) I would definately suggest updating and see if it still happens.

I didn't know the mute/unmute from BiaB was a feature that RB would respond to. There are many other ways to accomplish this in RB, but if it is opening and using these from BiaB then maybe you have found a bug. It seems something like this was discussed recently, maybe in the Off-Topic or BiaB sections, hopefully someone with more BiaB experience can chime in.

The combination of problems you had is strange, since I really haven't heard of any of these problems on their own, let alone all happening in one session.

Last edited by rharv; 04/23/10 01:30 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Are you for real? Maybe you are the noob here. A noob at reading comprehension. Are you just such a big PGMusic fanboy that you believe their products have no bugs?

I guess you don't actually want any help with your problems, then...

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
rharv, are you saying I am the person that was rude? I was responding to jazzmammel's rude reply to mine. I think not being able to comprehend the issue at hand, and then calling someone a noob is pretty rude.

BTW, here are the steps to reproduce the issue as mentioned in my second point:

Have an RB song with some RealTracks.

1. Select a RT, right-click and select "Generate MIDI Track" and select one of the track types to generate. Notice that you get the warning that you cannot do that, which is expected (are you paying attention jazzmammel? I am clearly saying that this is the expected behavior).

2. Now select and then right-click a MIDI track, and do the same. Notice this time you don't get a warning, and the MIDI data is generated, as expected.

3. Again select a RT, but this time right-click on a MIDI track (while the TR is still selected), and choose "Generate MIDI Track" and select one of the track types. This time you do not get a warning, and the MIDI data is generated on top of the RT track. The RT track is converted to a MIDI track.

This may or may not be by design, but there are issues even if this is supposed to happen:

1. When you right-click on something, it should be selected first, which doesn't happen in this case (this is standard UI behavior).
2. You should be able to Undo this change, but you can't. This leads me to believe that this is not the intended behavior.
3. There doesn't seem to be any way to convert the track back to a RT.
4. Why isn't the same warning there telling you that you can't do the operation since the track contains audio data, like it does when the selected and right-clicked tracks are the same?

Most likely this is a bug where RB gets the selected vs the right-clicked tracks mixed up, doesn't present the "You can't do that dialog", and generates the MIDI data on the track anyway. Or else it is intended, but the Undo is broken.

BB+RB 2014 (3)
Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
They call him Flipper, Flipper.............
Sorry I hate to insult the poor dolphin.
Bo Way

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Quote:

Quote:

Are you for real? Maybe you are the noob here. A noob at reading comprehension. Are you just such a big PGMusic fanboy that you believe their products have no bugs?

I guess you don't actually want any help with your problems, then...

I'm sorry, I don't understand this. jazmammel was calling me a noob yet the problem was he clearly can't comprehend the problem. I have been doing computer music for more than 15 years, I wrote a bunch of VST plugins (including ones that detects audio pitch and ones that process MIDI events), so I think I know the difference between MIDI and audio at this point. To call me a noob purely because he can't understand the problem seems pretty rude to me.

BB+RB 2014 (3)
Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit
RealBand
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Quote:

They call him Flipper, Flipper.............
Sorry I hate to insult the poor dolphin.
Bo Way

Did you mean "Go Away"? If so, why? I paid a lot of money for RB, and I'll complain about its numerous bugs if I feel like it. I find it strange that people can be so defensive about such a buggy piece of software. Do all of you just pretend like it has no bugs? While my initial post might not have been as diplomatic as it could have been (yet I was not rude at all), the intention was to point these issues out, and hopefully get them resolved so that RB becomes a better product. If that is not acceptable, then I apologize for pointing out that RB might not be perfect. And for being a noob that doesn't know the difference between MIDI and audio.

Last edited by BitFlipper; 04/23/10 02:27 PM.

BB+RB 2014 (3)
Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit
RealBand
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Is there any possibility that we can get back to the issues I am pointing out here?

The steps as outlined in post #272906 seem to indicate that there are some issues here. Has anyone tried these steps? Can anyone confirm or deny this behavior?

BB+RB 2014 (3)
Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bitflipper,

I loaded a BIAB song with bar settings into RB and, just like you said, I get the red boxes around those bars. This surprised me because, as far as I was aware, RB does not import BIAB's bar settings. As I understood it, RB - being an audio workstation - simply reads and computes a whole track: volume adjustments for mutes, etc., are then applied to the locations needed. One way to do this it to use the mixer panel and record the slider movement.

Anyway, when I loaded in the BIAB file, the red boxes were located on the correct bars. It might be that when you saved the BIAB file, you didn't use the 2-bar count in. In RB, if you go to "Preferences" and select the "General" tab, you can change the "Default measure offset" to match the BIAB file. This should allow you to match RB with BIAB. I suspect that you might need to reload the file.

Have you had a chance to have a look at the Realband tutorial video? If you are interested, it's called "Introduction to RealBand (Streaming WMV) | .zip download" and is located at...

http://www.pgmusic.com/realbandvideos.htm

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
You still had an audio track (RT) hilighted, so that is the track it got generated on. You said to generate midi track on a highlited track.

This was a good catch, they probably should not allow that (gray out the option) or give a warning. That is not something most of us normally do, as evidenced by the fact it didn't get caught in beta testing.

Maybe they DO want it to be able to do that, and it's just something you have to be careful of.

In the mean time - Don't do that. Change the habit. And send a note to support so they have a clue it needs fixing.
If they can dupe it, it sounds like an easy enough fix. But only if they want to. It may be by design, but just needs a warning added.

RealBand
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Noel,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have the count-in in BiaB set to 0. But this indicates that there is a problem with the import because RB should take this into account. Also, when you delete measures in RB, you will see that the bar settings are not moved with the other data. Did you try and generate the RB tracks? In my case at least, even though the bar settings initially appeared at the correct measures, they were still generated at the wrong places. Once I deleted some start measures, they appeared at the wrong locations as well as being generated at completely different places from where they visually appeared.

As for the steps outlined in one of my previous posts, did you try those to see if you can reproduce the issue with irrecoverably losing a RealTrack by inadvertently having a RT selected while right-clicking on a MIDI track and generating it? I find it really hard to believe that this is by design.

Thanks for the tip about the video tutorial, I was able to figure out how to edit the bar settings. You have to press F5, which seems to be the only way to get to it which is why I could not find it in any menu or context menu.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Thought about PM'ing, but since you asked in public, rather than PM'ing me, I'll answer here.

I thought your reply to jazzmammal was pretty rude. He used the term 'noob' in passing, making an assumption. I read and re-read his post and don't think it was agressive towards you. Your reply to him was pretty agressive. Jazzmammal may have been a little coky in his assumption, but stepped in to help, I don't think he was ridiculing you, and that comes from years of reading his posts.
So yeah, I was talking to you. Not trying to be rude in return, I did continue and try to help afterall.

What I saw was a request for help, and the first guy that tried was pretty much attacked. I've thought about it and don't think it was 'herd instinct' to protect Jazzmammal, we have a pretty peaceful forum for the most part. That type of response stood out to me. Makes the next guy a little hesitant to help <grin>

I think you did find a couple things that can be improved. The 'undo' error would need to be fixed for sure. The warning about overwriting may be nice idea. However, I'll point out again, you did have an audio track hilighted and told the program to write a midi track on that track. It just did what you said there. I hope you stick around and volunteer for beta next year. These type of things are best discussed during testing so they don't get out.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Those bar markers also need to be either accounted for or ignored.
That was another good catch.
Please do submit these things to support, or at least reference them to this thread. They are attentive to things that need fixing like this.

RealBand
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Quote:

You still had an audio track (RT) hilighted, so that is the track it got generated on. You said to generate midi track on a highlited track.

This was a good catch, they probably should not allow that (gray out the option) or give a warning. That is not something most of us normally do, as evidenced by the fact it didn't get caught in beta testing.

Maybe they DO want it to be able to do that, and it's just something you have to be careful of.

In the mean time - Don't do that. Change the habit. And send a note to support so they have a clue it needs fixing.
If they can dupe it, it sounds like an easy enough fix. But only if they want to. It may be by design, but just needs a warning added.

I think this is unintentional behavior because from what I can tell once you have audio data on an audio track you are prevented from converting it to a MIDI track in all other cases. When you first have an audio track selected, in this particular use case it somehow bypasses the usual checks and the track is converted to a MIDI track when it should not have been.

BTW, you can do a right-click in any application. The standard behavior is to first select the item you right-clicked on. If RB wants to deviate from this behavior, it should at least warn the user that they are doing something that is not possible given the selected track. In addition, the reason why I didn't notice the selection didn't change was because the context menu is so big it covered up the tracks. If you right-click close to the left of the track, the tracks are completely covered up by the context menu.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
That's a very valid point. Please submit it to support, so they can look at it. Let me know if you aren't going to, I'll do it.
It's worth having them look at. I like every improvement that can be made.

RealBand
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Quote:

Thought about PM'ing, but since you asked in public, rather than PM'ing me, I'll answer here.

I thought your reply to jazzmammal was pretty rude. He used the term 'noob' in passing, making an assumption. I read and re-read his post and don't think it was agressive towards you. Your reply to him was pretty agressive. Jazzmammal may have been a little coky in his assumption, but stepped in to help, I don't think he was ridiculing you, and that comes from years of reading his posts.
So yeah, I was talking to you. Not trying to be rude in return, I did continue and try to help afterall.

What I saw was a request for help, and the first guy that tried was pretty much attacked. I've thought about it and don't think it was 'herd instinct' to protect Jazzmammal, we have a pretty peaceful forum for the most part. That type of response stood out to me. Makes the next guy a little hesitant to help <grin>

I think you did find a couple things that can be improved. The 'undo' error would need to be fixed for sure. The warning about overwriting may be nice idea. However, I'll point out again, you did have an audio track hilighted and told the program to write a midi track on that track. It just did what you said there. I hope you stick around and volunteer for beta next year. These type of things are best discussed during testing so they don't get out.

I don't want to keep harping on this, but jazzmammel surely wasn't offering any help, instead he stated all my observations were as intended ("All these points are correct normal functions and are in the manual"). Which it clearly isn't. He also said he understands that these concepts are difficult to understand for a noob like me. So to be honest with you, he wasn't trying to help at all, and anyone that finds legitimate bugs and then gets a response like that will be offended.

I understand your point about the RT being initially selected, and agree that the work-around is simple enough (make sure to first left-click the track you want to modify). My point here is that there are two bugs really: One, the track I right-clicked on should have been selected (as per standard UI conventions), and 2, the usual checks to determine whether the operation is valid was somehow bypassed in this case. These two bugs together results in an irrecoverably lost RT. Not a super big deal because I can recreate a similar RT on an unused track, but then again I could also lose various edits and settings I made to the RT.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I do see your point, and you forgot about the markers not behaving correctly. That's another issue entirely.

The last couple sentences of your post in reply to jazzmammal were what I was referring to in my post immediately following. Sorry if that isn't how you see it (honestly). I thought that was the changing point. Just me though, although I can see it set a couple others off too. Like I said - it's pretty peaceful and helpful here most of the time. I visit other forums that aren't quite as 'polite'. It seemed out of place here, which is why I noticed.

Thanks for hanging in there and pointing this out..
and really; jump in for beta testing when it comes around.

Last edited by rharv; 04/23/10 04:28 PM.

RealBand
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Yes I can see my response was a bit strong. I'm usually also quite calm but those kinds of arrogant responses to valid issues ticks me off. Anyway, enough of that...

I did go ahead and file the issue with the RT being overwritten. I will post another for the markers not moving when deleting measures.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,601
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193