Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: sjs94704
The LAW says that a cover version needs to be music created by me. But the original music must be used.

I don't know what this means. You can do a cover version of a song with your own arrangement as far as I know, but I could be wrong. Not being a musician and not being able to use sheet music to put the arrangement into BIAB would be quite a problem. Best bet is MIDI backing tracks available for purchase all over the place on the web or Karaoke tracks.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: etcjoe

............ You can do a cover version of a song with your own arrangement as far as I know, but I could be wrong. ....................

For your own personal use yes that is true but it is not true if you post or sell your version. Then melody line and lyrics are covered by copyright, but backing tracks or arrangement usually are not: if the backing track or arrangement are a unique part of the song then they could also be copyright covered.

For instance say you take the melody and lyrics of Misty and put them in front of a metal band doing a samba backing track and post it you are breaking copyright laws.

PS - that is why PGM does not allow cover songs to be posted if you do not have a license that allows you to use said cover song.

Note that I am not a lawyer nor have I played one on TV but that is what I have read.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: MarioD

............ You can do a cover version of a song with your own arrangement as far as I know, but I could be wrong. ....................

For your own personal use yes that is true but it is not true if you post or sell your version. Then melody line and lyrics are covered by copyright, but backing tracks or arrangement usually are not: if the backing track or arrangement are a unique part of the song then they could also be copyright covered.

For instance say you take the melody and lyrics of Misty and put them in front of a metal band doing a samba backing track and post it you are breaking copyright laws.

PS - that is why PGM does not allow cover songs to be posted if you do not have a license that allows you to use said cover song.

Note that I am not a lawyer nor have I played one on TV but that is what I have read.

I understand that completely. I was questioning the part of the OP statement that the law says to play a cover song "the original music must be used".

I was not referring to illegal playing and posting a cover song. Let's say you are playing in a band in an establishment, that pays the licensing fees required to have live music playing copyrighted songs. You song does not have to match the original for you to play it. You can do a bluegrass version of stairway to heaven if you want.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran

I understand that completely. I was questioning the part of the OP statement that the law says to play a cover song "the original music must be used".

OK I get it now.And by the way where is the OP?

I was not referring to illegal playing and posting a cover song. Let's say you are playing in a band in an establishment, that pays the licensing fees required to have live music playing copyrighted songs. You song does not have to match the original for you to play it. You can do a bluegrass version of stairway to heaven if you want.

Yes I agree. I was talking about posting a cover song on the Internet without the proper licenses.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I have yet to actually buy Band in a Box and wanted to find out first if it would fit my needs best.

Top the point, I am an amateur singer. I am interested in creating my own cover versions of popular songs. For the sake of example, I might want to sing the song "Hello" by Adel.

The LAW says that a cover version needs to be music created by me. But, the original music must be used.

To the point, I don't play an instrument and I really don't want to spend hours and hours getting the music all set up. What I want to do is find a way to quickly take the sheet music (Which honestly I don't really know how to read) and get into into my DAW so I can sing to it and I am exploring if Band in a Box is the answer?

Once again, getting the music set up is the part I want to spend the least amount of time on!

What can I do?

First off.... I think you will enjoy BB when you get it.

Second... If you create a cover, you are under no obligation or LAW to use the original music. You can copy it note for note or make any arrangement of it that you wish. The only thing the law says is that in order to post it for the public to hear, you would have to purchase the license to do that legally.

I rarely do covers for this reason but I have a few that are well hidden from prying eyes. One is a Creedence Clearwater Revival Song.... Have you ever seen the rain, Another is Neil Young Rockin in the free world, and the last one is Mott the Hoople's All the young dudes.

As far as setting up the chords in BB, I think that not one of those took more than a couple of minutes..... about ten minutes or so at most. If you know the song, and the chords, you simply enter them and ..... well, I play along as I enter the chords to be sure I'm getting it right. Once you have the first verse.... it's a simple copy and paste for the rest of the verses and a few minutes to do the same with the chorus. Essentially, you enter one verse and one chorus, copy and paste and add any bridges, solos, and endings. Total time per song.... 15 to 20 minutes average.

I don't read sheet music either. I simply enter the chords and let it roll. If you know a little about music and chords, this is doable. The more you know obviously, the easier it is but it's also a learning process and as you learn it gets easier.

Hope this helps.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
And by the way where is the OP?

Yes, I've been wondering the exact same thing. A lot of effort has been expended by the team here to try and assist. cry

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Quote:

Yes, I've been wondering the exact same thing. A lot of effort has been expended by the team here to try and assist. cry

ghosted again....

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Quote:

ghosted again....

Hit and Run! crazy

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Find out more of sjs94704 by seaching sjs94704 on google - you might be suprised!

Keith

Beginners Forum
S
S
I have Biab 2022 when I play a song it works fine great sound. When I save the song I lose sound but I see th song playing. What could be the issue - I have even froze the piano part to keep it from regen but the song still has no sound

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum. Could you please start a new thread so your question isn’t lost in this one? I’m sure we can help.

We will need to ask you some questions, including whether your song uses MIDI or RealTracks, and what your audio drivers are. Do you have BIAB 2022, which build #, and are you running BIAB on a PC or a Mac?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
+++ Karaoke-Version.com +++ Pick out your song. +++ Hello by Adele +++, customize as desired and pay $2.99 per song.

Yes, this site is pretty good and you can customize the version you want, take out tracks etc. I have used it for some Christmas songs before. Came out quite nice.

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Keith44
Find out more of sjs94704 by searching sjs94704 on google - you might be suprised!

Keith

Looks like a serial poster.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert

I am exploring if Band in a Box is the answer?
Once again, getting the music set up is the part I want to spend the least amount of time on!
What can I do?

Whoever suggested you look into BIAB was on the money. Outside the approach of downloading karaoke tracks, there is no faster, more flexible, and in my opinion better choice for backup tracks for cover. Karaoke is karaoke. What you see is what you get. BB permits style, mix, instrument changes & the rhythm sections are awesome.
If I see a problem, in your approach, it is in music theory hesitancy, a lack of committment to learning the basics that will, in the long run, I fear cause you some regret and slow you down, ultimately, short of the goal. This could be the reason users here are suggesting commercial backing tracks.
I suggest getting familiar with Chordie.com, which is a vocalists' and rhythm guitarists' lead sheet site -- lyrics and chords.
With any software, user friendly as it may be, there is no getting away from time spent learning the program. If you're not willing to take that time, then the karaoke may fill your need.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,584
Posts734,716
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197