Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
silvertones #70921 04/26/10 03:00 PM
Off-Topic
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
You should really check out the IK Multimedia group buy at Esoundz. For $49, you could get Omnisynth 2 (a GM module that works well in BIAB) and the acoustic guitar Xpansiontank. Since it's a group buy, you can also choose 2 other Xpansiontank title (such as the pianos or basses). If the group buy hits 2500, you can choose another title. The sounds play through the included Sampletank XT, which is a full version, minus the L or XL sounds.

I have Omnisynth 2 and it alone is much better than TTS-1/Hypercanvas. The acoustic guitar set is pretty good too, IMO.

Of course, RTs are still my preferred sound...

DanL #70922 04/26/10 04:12 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

You should really check out the IK Multimedia group buy at Esoundz. For $49, you could get Omnisynth 2 (a GM module that works well in BIAB) and the acoustic guitar Xpansiontank. Since it's a group buy, you can also choose 2 other Xpansiontank title (such as the pianos or basses). If the group buy hits 2500, you can choose another title. The sounds play through the included Sampletank XT, which is a full version, minus the L or XL sounds.

I have Omnisynth 2 and it alone is much better than TTS-1/Hypercanvas. The acoustic guitar set is pretty good too, IMO.

Of course, RTs are still my preferred sound...

I'll have to disagree a bit here but it depends on how you work. I have the full Sampletank with Omnisynth and Sonicsynth with something like 4,000 instruments. Yes, Omnisynth is a pretty good sounding GM bank but it does not just load up and play seamlessly like the other synths we're talking about here. As you know you have to manually set up each instrument for each song. That may or may not be a big deal though. For me it is because I do all kinds of different stuff but Bob sounds like he's only doing bluegrass and that's it. He may be satisfied with creating one custom soundbank in Sampletank for all his stuff and be happy as a clam. If he's ok with that, then realize that GM is irrelevant. He can set up a custom soundbank using killer non GM sounds in any synth and do the same thing especially if all he's using is 3 or 4 basic instruments. You don't need or care about a GM bank for that, find a synth that has the sounds you like.
The really cool thing about using a good GM synth that loads up and just plays with Biab is when you go through a bunch of different songs with different instrumentation. If one song has acoustic bass, electric piano and vibes and the next has electric bass, acoustic piano, a guitar and sax, it's cool that Biab can just grab those instruments from the synth without any input from you. Using Omnisynth, you're stopping, going into the Sampletank control panel and changing the instruments on whatever midi channel Biab put them on.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #70923 04/27/10 05:25 AM
Off-Topic
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Omnisynth 2 has a program change script that loads patches automatically, based on what instruments BIAB sends to Sampletank. It's not perfect - drums won't load properly - but it does work for the other instruments. The script is just a text file and it's very easy to modify.

jazzmammal #70924 04/29/10 10:07 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I appreciate all the tips and suggestions. I’ve been out of town for a couple of days and haven’t been able to respond.

I think Bob, aka jazzmammal, made some points I should address in order to clarify what I’m looking for:

Quote:

I have the full Sampletank with Omnisynth and Sonicsynth with something like 4,000 instruments. Yes, Omnisynth is a pretty good sounding GM bank but it does not just load up and play seamlessly like the other synths we're talking about here. As you know you have to manually set up each instrument for each song. That may or may not be a big deal though. For me it is because I do all kinds of different stuff but Bob sounds like he's only doing bluegrass and that's it. He may be satisfied with creating one custom soundbank in Sampletank for all his stuff and be happy as a clam. If he's ok with that, then realize that GM is irrelevant. He can set up a custom soundbank using killer non GM sounds in any synth and do the same thing especially if all he's using is 3 or 4 basic instruments. You don't need or care about a GM bank for that, find a synth that has the sounds you like.
The really cool thing about using a good GM synth that loads up and just plays with Biab is when you go through a bunch of different songs with different instrumentation. If one song has acoustic bass, electric piano and vibes and the next has electric bass, acoustic piano, a guitar and sax, it's cool that Biab can just grab those instruments from the synth without any input from you. Using Omnisynth, you're stopping, going into the Sampletank control panel and changing the instruments on whatever midi channel Biab put them on.

Actually I play several different styles of music, not just bluegrass. But these other styles have been addressed with some good versions of Real Styles and Real Tracks, therefore I can get good sounds for these styles. Most all of the Real Styles, Real Tracks and midi styles for bluegrass, newgrass and dawg music are written with the wrong note value. They are programmed in 16th’s instead of 8th’s. They are written in 8th’s.

We actually had a pretty lengthy discussion here on the forum about this a few months ago. Peter Green joined the discussion with several posts, as did several other members, so I won’t try to restart that debate. Peter said the problem would be addressed in the future. But changes in the program sometimes take quite a while.

In the meantime, I wish I could find a “good GM synth that loads up and just plays with Biab”, as Bob stated. I don’t want to have to tweak the synth for each song I load.

But as Mac pointed out:

Quote:

Be advised that one can sample an acousic guitar out the wazoo, get perfect loops, etc. -- yet when played back in a MIDI file, they can still sound quite unrealistic.

We all tend to be more critical about the MIDI instrument(s) that we actually play and love than the other sounds. That's typical. A pianist hates the MIDI piano, most guitar players find the piano to be authentic to their ears, etc.

So I may be out of luck until PG addresses the note value problem for bluegrass and newgrass in Real Tracks and Real Styles. I’ve used BIAB for 10 years or more and this has always been my one gripe about the program.

Thanks all.

Bob

bobcflatpicker #70925 04/29/10 11:11 AM
Off-Topic
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
I honestly don't get it. Didn't you read my post? Sampletank's Omnisynth 2 now has a script that takes care of program changes for GM. You only have to "tweak" it once when BIAB first loads up by loading the script. After that, it adjusts to each song that you play, loading the correct instrument as defined by BIAB. Jazzmammal's info is wrong and dated. What he said used to be true, but no longer is.

But I don't care. If you don't believe me and $49 for Sampletank XT and 4 (soon to be 5) soundsets is too much for you, then there's nothing more that I can say.

DanL #70926 04/29/10 11:36 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dan,

Please don't take offense where none was intended. I did read your post.

Quote:

Omnisynth 2 has a program change script that loads patches automatically, based on what instruments BIAB sends to Sampletank. It's not perfect - drums won't load properly - but it does work for the other instruments. The script is just a text file and it's very easy to modify.

I also read your other posts and I appreciate the tips. I also went to the website and read up on it and bookmarked the site.

The Omnisynth 2 may be the route I choose based on your recomendation.

I'm just hesitant to purchase another synth that I have never used before, only to discover that I'm not satisfied with the sounds. I wish I knew someone locally who had the synth so I could try it out before I buy, but I don't.

Bob

bobcflatpicker #70927 04/29/10 04:43 PM
Off-Topic
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Bob, don't mind my minor rants...

Anyway, I guess I can't really blame your hesitation, really. Each person has their own expectations about certain products and it may not be what you want. Personally, I really think the Sampletank group buy is well worth it. The sounds are decent and they are very easy to work with. Is it perfect for BIAB? Well, even with the program change script, it's not that slam dunk software product that we're all looking for. But it's a lot better than the TTS-1 or those ancient soundfonts. When you figure in the group buy, which will probably be 5 for the price of 1 by the weekend, that's $10 a sound module - not bad. And having the "real" version of Sampletank is huge after using the LE version with Expansiontanks.

While some of the sounds are fairly new, Sampletank itself is not a new product at all and they are probably getting ready for a ST3 release soon. But, I think you could blow your money in far worse ways (like the $99 Vi.One synth which is not that great and almost completely useless in BIAB.)

Dan

bobcflatpicker #70928 05/01/10 01:00 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Imagine my surprise!

When researching the Roland TTS-1 on Google, I came across this forum from PG Music.

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=228766

So the question remains, does the Roland TTS-1 work, (without tweaking), in Windows 7 64 bit?

Bob

Again, I have Coyote Forte DXi, but the acoustic instruments suck! Roland VSC doesn't work on Win 7 64 bit, but someone made the comment that TTS-1 essentially sounds the same as Roland VSC. If it sounds like the Roland VSC, it would definitely beat the hell out of Coyote Forte DXi if it does work on Win 7 64 bit! Honestly, I'm surprised that PG sells the Coyote Forte DXi! It should be a freebie, offered as a last resort if you can't find anything else that will work.

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 05/01/10 01:17 PM.
bobcflatpicker #70929 05/01/10 02:12 PM
Off-Topic
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
The TTS-1 has the same interface as the Edirol Hyper Canvass and I just install them both on Win 7 / 64 laptop. I am currently
using the Edirol with BIAB and in my opinion it sounds similar to the Roland VSC. I have used TTS-1 with Sonar and it is similar.
Dave

davem7b5 #70930 05/01/10 02:20 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dave,

Thanks for the info.

By the way, I've gotta love the m7b5 in your screen name!

Bob

bobcflatpicker #70931 05/05/10 12:03 PM
Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
The free packs has hit 5 now on the IK Multimedia group buy at Esoundz. I finally broke down and jumped in on this. I decided I wanted the acoustic and electric guitars. I've downloaded them and I'm really enjoying what I've tried so far.
I'm off now to download some more. :>)

Later
Jim

I'd be completely happy if I had just one more guitar.
bobcflatpicker #70932 05/05/10 04:51 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Bob,

I've sometimes had some success with a slight work around. I usually use this procedure on folk instruments like mando, banjo, harmonica, accoustic guitar etc. Once the midi track is recorded,
I right click on it in power tracks and do a convert to audio. Then I use the pg effects, as well as some third party plugins for tone control, compression, reverb, eq etc until I get something closer to what I wanted. It doesn't always work perfectly, but I have been able to improve the sound and tonal quality of some instruments this way. Costs nothing to try, and it just might be enough for you.

Rob

DanL #70933 05/06/10 07:11 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Cool, I definitely stand corrected. I had forgotten to check this thread and missed your reply. Since I got a great deal on a used Roland Sonic Cell, I haven't kept up with what's happening with Sample Tank my bad.
What about the problem of a program change in the middle of a song like a style that changes instruments in the "B" substyle or something? Since Omnisynth samples still take some time to load, that usually locks up Biab because the song is playing at that point. The Forte DXi or the Roland VSC load their entire sampleset into ram when you select them so the change is instant but isn't the Omnisynth GM sampleset too large for that?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #70934 05/06/10 01:46 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I really appreciate the feedback on the DXi’s. I’ve learned a lot from your suggestions.

No doubt that I’m going to have to change DXi’s in order to get “a good GM synth that loads up and just plays with Biab is when you go through a bunch of different songs with different instrumentation”, since “bluegrass” is only one of the styles I play.

One thing I have also concluded is that even when I do upgrade the DXi, whether by software or hardware, is that I’ll still be facing the problem of not having styles programmed in 8th notes for acoustic, (aka bluegrass), music.

I hesitate to use the term “bluegrass” because people who don’t play acoustic music with “traditional” instruments get a mindset that you are talking about “Flatt & Scruggs” style music when you say bluegrass, when nothing could be further from the truth.

The acoustic styles of music that I, (and most of my friends over the years), play would fall into numerous categories ranging from fiddle tunes, traditional, Irish, New Acoustic, newgrass, jazzgrass, Dawg, bluegrass, progressive bluegrass, acoustic country, old time country, alternative country, etc.

Most people who don’t play these styles and then hear it, would throw it all into one lump and call it “bluegrass” because of the acoustic instruments.

There really aren’t any styles in BIAB to address most of these categories because they are all programmed in 16th notes instead of 8th’s. Even the ones that are labeled as 8th’s are actually 16th's, unless I’ve missed one somewhere.

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,624
Posts735,213
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185