Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
I'm pretty good on operating systems but not so good with hardware problems. Here's a quick story and if any of you can help, I would appreciate it.

Like many of you, I am the first call responder for friends. One has a six-month old HP laptop. The sound on the built-in speakers stopped working today.

He first tried calling HP support, which routed him to a support center in India. They took control of the computer remotely and installed lots of stuff on his desktop to no avail.

By the time I got home and went to look at it, my friend had spent three hours on the phone with support. Still no sound.

I checked the obvious, like Device Manager and the mixer. The system sounds showed an audio signal was being generated. He had no external speakers, so I tried plugging in headphones, and they worked. The headphone jacks had never been used. The online tech didn't think of that one...

Short of taking apart the case and checking for a broken wire to the internal speakers, does anyone have any suggestions? It's still in warranty, but there is the hassle of saving all his data and reinstalling if they just replace it.

Thank you.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Obvious probably

Checked system settings for correct output for speakers?
Double checked to make sure nothing is muted in the audio settings? Since this is a fairly new system, I know Win7 is a little more complicatd to check.

Some programs may load at boot that claim the sound routing, which may be a real pain to check.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Checked those, thanks. I've been on Windows 7 for a year, and it's actually easier than prior systems to check devices and settings.

Since the system sounds go to the headphone jack but not the speaker, I tend to think it's a hardware problem.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There may be some kind of fancy digital sensor which can know if headphones are attached. Such things are not impossible.

For instance, on my new HP Win 7 desktop with an XFi card, I was futzing with the line input getting an old little Alesis parametric eq setup as a mic preamp for digital conferencing with an Audix OM5 mic. Sounds better than cheapie computer mics, and much more durable. I was having an intermittent adapter/wire between the preamp and the line input, and every time I'd unplug the plug from the 1/8" XFi stereo line input jack, Win 7 would pop up a warning that nothing is plugged to the Line Input and the input had been made inactive.

That seemed kinda overkill to me, that every time I unplugged the line input plug Win 7 would turn off the input, and I'd have to revisit the control panel dialog and turn it back on as the default input after I plugged a wire back in. That is the software holding my hand way too much. If I want the line input to always be the default input, then what the heck does Win 7 or the XFi card care if there is nothing plugged in? Annoying.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with your problem, except to demonstrate that sometimes computers/drivers will go to a whole lot of trouble to solve problems that don't exist, and sometimes make it worse in the process.

Have also read that some Apple Mac hardware is smart enough (or perhaps that should be dumb enough) to detect if you unplug a mic or a line input, and automatically reconfigure the audio driver accordingly. Maddening.

So maybe your friend's computer is smart enough to know in the software whether a plug is connected to the headphone jack, and then do software-controlled auto-routing.

However, for many many years on many stereo receivers, boomboxes, portable radios, etc-- The speakers get muted in a much simpler fashion when you plug in the headphones. The headphone jack just contains some switch contacts. If nothing is plugged into the jack, then the audio goes thru the jack switches into the speakers. When a plug is inserted in the jack, it opens the switches and interrupts audio to the speakers. No software wizardry required. Just a simple switch in the jack.

Whether or not the laptop speakers are controlled directly by jack switches, or whether the driver software controls this-- If the driver software controls it, then there has gotta be a jack switch in there to tell the computer whether something is plugged in. So maybe it is a bad switch in the 29 cent headphone jack either way.

If it is a bad jack on the mobo, once you find the exact inexpensive replacement part, it is just a tedious hassle to fix it yerself, or pay a local repairman maybe quite a lot of money to replace the cheap part for you. If its 6 months old and under warranty, maybe make HP fix it?

James Chandler Jr
http://www.errnum.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Thanks, James. From my days running an electronics store 35 years ago, I just assumed the headphone jack was nothing special and had that disconnect in it like you described. That's way scary if there is some exotic sensor and software doing something as mundane as headphone routing. But thanks for the idea.

I forgot to mention, this laptop has two headphone jacks that function identically. That, to me, reduces the likelihood of anything wrong in the headphone jack switching. But what do I know?

Yes, it's under warranty but my friend doesn't want to lose the use of it during repair, nor undergo the aggravation of backing up and reinstalling into a replacement unit. I recommended he ask HP to exchange his hard drive into an identical unit.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Matt,
I doubt that HP will exchange the hard drive, not that it would matter, since the Authorization key is hardware dependent, and the hard drive is only a tiny fraction of the key.

I suspect that the speakers are bad, due to a hardware issue. It's no fun, but that's my guess.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Me too. Thanks, Gary.

I did not consider the authorization might not work. I thought perhaps the authorization would see the same hardware and give the same code. Thanks for the alert.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The possible reason they might want software control over headphones/speakers, is that the user can select software filtering schemes in the driver, which optimize for headphones versus big speakers versus tiny speakers. If the jack tells the computer that a headphone is plugged in, then the software can auto-insert a different dsp software driver module to 'optimize' for headphone output rather than speaker output.

Dollars to donuts that the actual power amp is the same for the headphone feed versus the tiny laptop speakers. The voltage drive is nearly identical for headphones versus tiny speakers, except that the lower impedance of the speakers delivers more power from the same volts when the speakers are connected. Inexpensive commercial 'home-studio' headphone driver boxes often use the same class of little half-watt or one-watt amplifier chips that are used in low-volume portable shortwave receivers or clock-radios or cheapie desktop computer speakers or whatever.

It strains credibility that a manufacturer would include two 25 cent amplifier chips on a laptop motherboard, if one amplifier chip could be used for both headphones and speakers. That is just wild guessing of course. No telling what a manufacturer would choose to do.

One innovative headphone driver was used in early-generation Mackie mixers. Maybe Mackie still uses the same scheme, dunno. Rather than using a possibly-lo-fidelity tiny amplifier chip, or an opamp with current-booster transistors, the Mackie mixers would wire several ordinary opamps in parallel to get sufficient current drive to push headphones. That circuit sounded pretty good IMO.

Which has nothing to do with your friend's problem. Just free-association chain-of-consciousness rambling <g>.

Last edited by JamesChandlerJr; 04/23/10 09:42 PM.

James Chandler Jr
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
First best guess is that the internal connector for the speakers got jarred out of its socket in shipping.

Second guess has to do with the fact that most laptop speakers hook up with a 3-terminal connector that shares the Common (-) lead for both sides. If the Common connection is internally broken anywhere inside the lappy, both speakers go out.

I doubt this is a software problem because Matt has already been all over the doggone thing trying to get sound from the speakers.

I also doubt that there are any "sensing" circuits at the earphone jacks. Likely only a mechanical SPST set of switch contacts wired in series for the two headphone jacks.

There is only one Power Amp that is used to drive speakers or earphones, since the earphones are working, we know that the power amp is working. Since that is the case, here is yet another reason not to think that software is the cause. It would simply not be cost effective to use software to switch at the low impedance power amp side of the thing. That would and should take place at the lower power Line level, before the power amp.

Diagnosis (from a distance): The new owner should start the Return Authorization procedure and get it over with.

There is *another* way to approach this situation. Rather than return for service, the new owner should try to get the *dealer* to simply provide a replacement. Within 30 days of purchase, this is usually something that can be done and it eliminates the downtime without the lappy.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Once again, many thanks to all who weighed in. It appears you all came to the same conclusion I did, that this is a hardware problem with the speaker or the speaker connection. I have recommended to my friend that he seek a replacement if the internal speakers are important to him, or just plug some computer powered speakers into the earphone jack.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, a loose speaker header plug to the mobo seems very likely possibility.

James Chandler Jr
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a system here that does as James mentioned; turning audio connections on/off as they are plugged or unplugged. Often guessing at what I want it to do. If I unplug the line in, it enables the mic, and disables it if I connect to line in. Same with headphone/speakers. Dunno if it is software or hardware triggered (I'm sure the hardware is involved obviously) but I was finally able to get it to stop popping up to tell me everything it was doing as a response to what I did. The system still does what it does, but I don't have to close the extra window anymore every time I connect something.

Only caveat was that now if I hook up a monitor using HDMI, it used to ask if I wanted to shut off the onboard LCD, now I have to go do that manually.

Tradeoffs for everything I suppose. just more rambling..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
J
J
Hello. I am a longtime regular on Dell's Laptop Audio Forum and I just stumbled upon this thread. Here is some general info that echoes what has been said here about the audio jacks. This is for Dells but I think it is the same for HP if the computer in question has HD audio, because the specifications for HD are standardized. Off the top of my head I think the standard calls for reconfigurable jacks.

In the Dell's the jacks are "Universal Jacks" designed by IDT and are reconfigurable. When configured as headphone jacks they have a "sense pin" that triggers switching software, instead of the older mechanical switching system. When the sense pin fails then the system acts as though there is a plug in the jack. Sometimes the sense pin can be made to work if a plug is inserted and gently wiggled.

It can be a hard problem to diagnose because it is a hardware failure that has the symptoms of a software failure. I can tell a Dell owner how to verify that the sense pin has failed but don't know how on an HP.

If the sense pin has failed, the solution is to replace the jack, and that means either replace the jack daughter board if there is one or the entire motherboard if the jack is mounted directly on it. Because the repair can involve a lot of money it is a good idea to have it fixed while still under warranty.

Hope this was of some help. I am reading a lot that is helpful to me on this forum.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Jimco -

Are you the same Jimco that was involved in the long discussion over the availability of stereo mix and audio monitoring a few years back when Dell shipped Windows Vista on their systems and their driver didn't provide it? I was one of the ones that complained bitterly about that, and in the end returned the nice Dell laptop I had purchased.

Welcome to the forum here and hopefully you can learn even more.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Jimco, thanks for this info. I still doubt it is the jack itself, since there are two on this laptop and they both behave the same. Also, they have never been used until I just tested them.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Matt,
I could easily believe that even with two headphone jacks, according to what Jimco has said, that it might not be the jacks at all, but a daughter board, or the sense signal to the HD audio chip. In fact, I would suspect that it was the chip itself, not the jacks.

Can you tell me what HP computer he has?

You might also want to look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLlDLVXvRA4

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Thanks Gary. Hadn't thought of that, either.

I'm not in town now; when I get back Monday I'll see what model it is.

Oh, man, that video! Just push the magic button!

Really something.

Off-Topic
J
J
John, yes it is I. Sorry to say that Dell has not changed for the better but then neither have I so I am still manning the laptop audio board.

Matt, it's either the jack, the speakers, or a loose/broken connection to the speakers. For what it is worth, on the Dell models with 2 headphone jacks when the sense pin becomes a problem then in the audio control panel one of the jacks will be marked that it is "in use". [The purpose of the 2 jacks on those models is that they and the mic jack can all be configured as 5.1 surround line-out jacks.]

In the Dells there is a bootable diagnostic partition that runs outside of the Windows operating system. If the speakers work in that diagnostic environment then one knows that there is not a hardware problem with them and that leaves the jack as the culprit (or software but by this point one would have already reinstalled the audio driver and doubled checked configurations etc). That pretty much nails it but the diagnosis can be completely confirmed by restoring the computer to its original factory configuration which eliminates all possibility of a software issue (because the speakers did originally work in that configuration).

Conversely, if the speakers do not work when running the bootable diagnostic test then that confirms that there is a hardware failure, and one knows the failure is after the signal reaches the jack so the speakers or connection is the culprit. The possible failure of the sense pin does not affect the way the Dell diagnostic test works (ie the speakers will be tested whether or not the sense pin has failed) because the switching software is part of the Windows driver and Windows and the drivers are irrelevant to the test. So if HP has an equivalent diagnostic partition it could prove useful. If there is one then HP support will probably have your friend use it anyway before they authorize repairs.

Last edited by jimco; 04/25/10 08:12 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Thank you, Jimco. I will look for that.

I will also try pressing the magic 'button' as in Gary's video.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
As a tech moderator on a general computer help forum, first I confirm Jimco as correct and that the most likely fault being the common return or ground pin from the speakers to the motherboard, or jack daughter board being the source of the fault, not been inside a HP so don't know exactly where the speaker wires go to from the speakers.
Even though the machine is under warranty and should go back for repair, if that is to be avoided, then a careful dismantle and visible check will show if the plug has come off the board.
For general laptop dismantling and repairs advice have a look here--

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,614
Posts735,144
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182