Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#710249 03/23/22 12:08 PM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
OP Offline
B
What am I doing wrong? Midi tracks I've recorded are recording on a new audio track. Also the metronome will record on the audio track. I'm using an external keyboard for the sound source. PT 21.Windows 10. Help. David

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
There are settings in Options-Preferences that control this.

Is your Default Track setting an audio or a MIDI track?
You can also change the target track type by using right-click - Track Type

There are other settings too, but those seem like the most obvious to me.
If the target track type (either the next available blank track or the selected track) is of an Audio type, you get audio.
One of those other settings is to record MIDI too even if track is an Audio track.
With this setting you get both the audio and MIDI track.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RB_trackType.jpg (42.35 KB, 92 downloads)
AlwaysRecord.jpg (96.21 KB, 92 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 03/23/22 01:56 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for your reply rharv.
If I can clarify. Assuming for instance a basic scenario to record a song, maybe recording three midi only tracks, say bass, keys and a drum track.After which I'd like to lay down an audio only track from my midi keyboard using a solo voice with maybe associated effects etc.
Now, I don't want the three midi tracks recording on my new audio track together with the solo voice(and the metronome!!).
However, that's what's occurring now. Surely not right.
David

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like a MIDI Thru switch may be on somewhere allowing the MIDI to go back out and back in again.
We'd need to know how your MIDI path is set up.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
David.
When people take time out from their day to try to help you , and request details of your set up so they arent flying blind in trying to help you…it would be nice if you responded to the request.
As a result…in your previous thread re strange metronome //set up i have no clue if this got sorted or not.
Did this get resolved ? if so, normally on these forums an addendum ‘RESOLVED’ is added to the thread title.
so people know this topic is done.

As to this second thread , the more we know bout your rig/set up the better.
1. As rharv mentioned your midi signal flow in and out of the pc.
Using the external midi kbd….more info please.
what brand is your midi kbd ?
2. What are your speakers and headphones connected to ? your kbd ?
3. if useing a nicrophone what is it connected to ?
Do you just have on board pc sound ? OR do you also have an xternal audio interface in your rig ?

It would also help people help you if you posted pics of your ptw driver (like rharvs prefs pics upthread) and other settings in case you have further questions in the future.

The more info you can give the easiest it is for people to help you in return.

I started with ptw yonks ago, and i’m just trying to help cos i know what it was like when i started.

Best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 03/24/22 02:59 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
OP Offline
B
Hi om,
Many thanks for your reply, please don't interpret my lack of an immediate response as indifference or laziness.
I appreciate very much the interest and time taken to try and resolve perceived issues.
As for my set up, pretty basic in fact ;a Ringway RS1000e organ, which sports a very comprehensive midi spec and connections, linked to my windows laptop via USB. The sound is routed through the organs speaker system, although I have the option of a Logitech audio system which I'm not currently using.
Just to mention that I absolutely love pt and positive that it's possibilities are far in excess of what I'm currently experiencing.
Apologies for the lack of pix right now ;I haven't yet figured out how to attach same.
Cheers. David

Last edited by Beagleflyer; 03/24/22 07:45 AM.
PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
OP Offline
B
P. S.
No Mike or audio interface involved. D.
Sorry, metronome issue remains unresolved.

Last edited by Beagleflyer; 03/24/22 04:07 AM.
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
I think the problem is that you are using the keyboard to play back your MIDI.
So when you hit Play or Record PT sends the MIDI to your keyboard, and that MIDI gets turned into Audio inside the keyboard, then the Audio out of the keyboard is going back into PT via the Audio outs from your keyboard .. so when you go to record the keyboard as Audio, the current playing MIDI tracks are also going out the Audio out of your keyboard along with what you play to record.

The solution: record the existing MIDI as audio tracks into PT first.
Just select an Audio track and hit Record and let the song run.
You should end up with Audio tracks of your existing MIDI.
Now you can turn off the MIDI tracks in PT and use the Audio tracks.
That eliminates the MIDI playing out of your keyboard along with your playing.
Lastly, record your new Audio track of your playing onto a new track.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for that rharv, that seems like an elegant work around.
I'll give it a go in the next couple of days and let you know.
David

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
We've all been there.
Good news; you seem to have accomplished the setup of the computer/MIDI communication. Sometimes that is where people stall, but you are already past that and down the path .. if this works smile

As for posting images (screen shots)
Don't use the QuickReply feature (which is handy) .. if you want to post an image;
Instead, click the Reply button, and in the resulting view, below the box where you post your reply, there is a File Manager section that lets you upload an image from your computer.
This can be very handy.

Last edited by rharv; 03/24/22 01:26 PM.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
OP Offline
B
Hi rharv,
I tried your work around today and of course it was dumb of me not to twig that the midi signals from the recorded(midi) tracks were being routed back from the keyboard onto the new audio track being recorded.So thanks for that.
The only remaining snag(for now!)is if a drum track is not included, maybe something orchestral or free tempo and I need the metronome,which is midi info of course, for reference,how can I prevent it being recorded on the new audio track?
I'm sure there's a way but I'm yet to figure it out.
Atb. David

PowerTracks Pro Audio
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
david ..
an easier way that might be a solution for you is try this...
forget metronome...and in ptw if i remember (i use reaslband) just create a dp clik trak before getting into
recording midi. in rb i can do various alternatives also
like set up a regular clik trak. explore the feature
FILL TRAK WITH DRUM PATTERN.
OR assuming your external ridgeway has drums in it...
try recording a midi clik trak from your ridgeway.
ptw is very deep, ...also check out the drums view you can clik on drums and record them if i remember.

really go thru the ptw manual. lots of good stuff to discover. years ago i used to blow away big spending mates in big studios as to what ptw could do.
ptw is a bargain imho.

in your ridgeway manual see if there are settings stopping everything going back into the pc.
ie you want just what you want recorded to go into the pc.

best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 03/26/22 06:23 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
OP Offline
B
Hi om, yes, I was thinking about a click track which could probably be stored as a template together with other user settings. Great idea!
In fact the Ringway has excellent drums, percussion and rhythms which indeed could be laid down as a guide.
Agreed, PT is deep and is everything I'll ever need once I discover it's inner workings!
Thanks again for your help.
David.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Really, it's the same concept
record the MIDI click to Audio .. use it when you want and how you want.

Or route that one MIDI track to the internal Coyote WT synth, but that's more complicated when you already get the MIDI/Audio concept.
Lots of ways to do it, but I, personally, usually go ahead and make the click an Audio track (like the others).

What this does is allow lots of options moving forward .. mute when you want, or run it thru PGPeakLimit to make it really loud (example while recording live drums) ..
I remember one session where the drummer kept complaining he couldn't hear the click, he needed it louder, and saying "why can't you get it louder?!" .. so I compressed the snot out of it and sent it to just his headphones.

/And then giggled when he ripped his headphones off his head and apologized.
//Apparently I had now got it TOO loud.
///there's no pleasing some drummers

As far as a template, I have a file called click.mid
It is a MIDI file of nothing but click track for 100 bars.
On a new project I open that file, use the flexibility of MIDI to adjust the Tempo to what I need, then render it to Audio. (Save As .SEQ format)
For me it just makes the whole work flow easier when everything is Audio.
Keep the MIDI in case you need it (MIDI adds very little file size etc., so why not keep it)
But after that I mute it and use the Audio click

YMMV

PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
OP Offline
B
Many thanks rharv, I'm on it now! David.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195