Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
AFAICS it's a bit like buying a signed limited-edition print. Other people can have copies of the print, but only the buyers have the signature.

The whole blockchain thing of course has other applications, but this, I think, paints a pretty good picture of what's going on with digital art NFTs. You create a valueless entity and engage with other speculators in the hope of driving it up. Conceptually, it's like selling a notarized statement that someone owns the RAM token of the MP3 of "My Way" you played on your computer on a certain occasion.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 03/31/22 04:27 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
AFAICS it's a bit like buying a signed limited-edition print. Other people can have copies of the print, but only the buyers have the signature.

The whole blockchain thing of course has other applications, but this, I think, paints a pretty good picture of what's going on with digital art NFTs. You create a valueless entity and engage with other speculators in the hope of driving it up. Conceptually, it's like selling a notarized statement that someone owns the token of the MP3 of "My Way" you played on your computer on a certain occasion.

I’m not sure that they are all valueless. Sure, there are some that are valueless but imagine that Picasso had created an NFT of the scribble he did on the napkin. That would not be valueless.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
AFAICS it's a bit like buying a signed limited-edition print. Other people can have copies of the print, but only the buyers have the signature

The whole blockchain thing of course has other applications, but this, I think, paints a pretty good picture of what's going on with digital art NFTs. You create a valueless entity and engage with other speculators in the hope of driving it up. Conceptually, it's like selling a notarized statement that someone owns the token of the MP3 of "My Way" you played on your computer on a certain occasion.

I’m not sure that they are all valueless. Sure, there are some that are valueless but imagine that Picasso had created an NFT of the scribble he did on the napkin. That would not be valueless.

I'm not saying the associated art is valueless. In your Picasso scenario, the art would have its usual value and the NFT would have whatever value is generated by speculation. You could actually buy and sell the painting and the NFT separately. One is a painting, the other is a cryptographic entity on a blockchain.

You could even create an NFT of the NFT, and buy and sell that independently of the other two. You might become rich that way!

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 03/31/22 04:40 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
AFAICS it's a bit like buying a signed limited-edition print. Other people can have copies of the print, but only the buyers have the signature

I'm not saying the associated art is valueless. In your Picasso scenario, the art would have its usual value and the NFT would have whatever value is generated by speculation. You could actually buy and sell the painting and the NFT separately. One is a painting, the other is a cryptographic entity on a blockchain.

You could even create an NFT of the NFT, and buy and sell that independently of the other two. You might become rich that way!

I’m not sure I understand your point. Some art is made on the computer. It is only digital. There is no physical painting. You could argue the music is an example of “digital art”.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I think that it would be very enlightening if you keep us informed. Thank you.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
You could argue the music is an example of “digital art”

Not in question. Which is why audio tokens of songs are sold, for download or streaming, on services like Apple Music or personal websites.

My point is that creating an NFT creates nothing new of value, it only provides a way for people to (A) speculate, in the hope of making money, (B) donate to people they like, or (C) fool around with fun tech stuff for the hell of it. Nothing wrong with any of that, per se, but as outlined in the wiki article, there are reasons for caution.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 03/31/22 04:58 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
You could argue the music is an example of “digital art”

Not in question. Which is why audio tokens of songs are sold, for download or streaming, on services like Apple Music or personal websites.

My point is that creating an NFT creates nothing new of value, it only provides a way for people to (A) speculate, in the hope of making money, (B) donate to people they like, or (C) fool around with fun tech stuff for the hell of it. Nothing wrong with any of that, per se, but as outlined in the wiki article, there are reasons for caution.

Or (D) own something they love.

Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: TRYUK
To my way of thinking NFT's are as likely to be pirated and resold as anything else.

To do that, one would have to break the encryption.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
NFTs are supposed to gain value due the limited availability of whatever it is you are selling. It is the proof of ownership that is the limited part. I think it is a scheme and probably will be hugely popular. Who knows what is going to happen with all this stuff?

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Old Phineas Taylor Barnum is smiling for sure. grin

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I hate to upset you, but yes it can be done.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TRYUK
I hate to upset you, but yes it can be done.

You would have to hack, undetected, into thousands upon thousands of computers on which copies of the block chain ledger are stored. It’s not possible. NFTs can be lost and they can be stolen but they can’t be pirated.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
And you really think that there are people out there that cannot do that. Not many, but they are there. They are called hackers.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: etcjoe
NFTs are supposed to gain value due the limited availability of whatever it is you are selling. It is the proof of ownership that is the limited part. I think it is a scheme and probably will be hugely popular.

This is 100% accurate. It's already hugely popular.

But it's not sustainable.

The value of NFTs is entirely based on the expectation that the future value of the NFT will rise, because people are expecting someone in the future will pay more than they did.

But the price of something can't continue to rise forever, as people don't have an infinite amount of disposable income.

At some point, an NFT will reach an equilibrium price, where the perceived future price is lower that the selling price.

Since the only value of an NFT is that it will have a higher price in the future, the last person to purchase the NFT will be stuck holding something of negative value - they can only sell at a loss.

The tipping point for NFTs happens when collective value of negative valued NFTs outweights the sum speculative value of new NFTs.

At that point, it's game over for that NFT market.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You would have to hack, undetected, into thousands upon thousands of computers on which copies of the block chain ledger are stored. It’s not possible. NFTs can be lost and they can be stolen but they can’t be pirated.

The blockchain assumes it's too big to fail. Unfortunately, there are a lot of sufficiently large bad actors who could prove this wrong.

The people who say the blockchain "can't" be hacked are either promoting cryptocurrencies, or lack sufficient imagination.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

At least ^ has aesthetic value smile

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: dcuny
The people who say the blockchain "can't" be hacked are either promoting cryptocurrencies, or lack sufficient imagination.

Well, a blockchain certainly can’t be hacked by doing something naughty on thousands of personal computers at once, but that wouldn’t be the ticket anyway. You’d find a vulnerability and exploit it from a single node, injecting your toxic transaction and turning it loose to replicate.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It is an interesting debate for sure on whether the block chain can be hacked or not. I am sure that individual exchanges and wallets can be hacked (for example via the normal phishing type attacks) and the contents of that wallet or exchange can be stolen.

This is the same with any financial institution that has a digital offering.

The difference is that crypto is not regulated and these exchanges don’t have the means or insurance or processes to pay the clients back for what they have lost. Savvy investors know this and mitigate this risk by taking care of their credentials and researching what exchanges/block chains to get involved with. They also don’t put all their eggs in one basket.

But how would someone hack the actual block chain? If anyone has knowledge of how the block chain actually works and has any feasible theories on how this could be done I would love to know because the Bahamas are waiting for me

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 03/31/22 07:01 PM.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Asking how it would be possible is rather like asking a magician how he does a spectacular trick. You have nothing to fear about it happening to your piece of music. Anyone capable of doing such a thing is highly unlikely to try and do it with a $1 piece of music.

Off-Topic
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted By: dcuny
The value of NFTs is entirely based on the expectation that the future value of the NFT will rise, because people are expecting someone in the future will pay more than they did.

... which is, of course, the way all speculation works, from commodities to art.

The trick is to estimate the effect well, and often enough, to gain more than the bad estimates lose.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195