Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Band-in-a-Box lovers

I am so excited to release my very first music NFT! If you are interested in collecting NFTs then I would really appreciate your support in purchasing this. Current price is 0,0003 eth (about $1). Lets do this thing and see where it takes us.

https://www.mintsongs.com/editions/130294

Produced 100% with Band-in-a-Box

PS: for those who are concerned with the legality of this here is proof of my license

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 03/28/22 10:15 PM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I'm always intrigued by TLA's

Hope this is absolutely successful for you, Joanne.

Now, to check on that NFT bit.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack

grinIn case you have been living under a rock grin NFT = Non-fungible token. supposedly the next best thing for artists......perhaps after Spotify?

I am not sure where this thing goes but I've got my toe in the water. I am also trying to purchase my first music NFT....

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper

grinIn case you have been living under a rock grin NFT = Non-fungible token. supposedly the next best thing for artists......perhaps after Spotify?

I am not sure where this thing goes but I've got my toe in the water. I am also trying to purchase my first music NFT....

Not living under any rock happening here Joanne. Thanks for actually describing the term. Must be more common knowledge in your parts. I genuinely doubt I'm the only one who wasn't familiar with the term, so the 'under a rock' comment was perhaps a little unnecessary. Good luck. I do hope it's very successful. I know you work hard.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I had to read up on NFT's so you brought me out from under my rock Joanne. Good luck with the experiment. It sounds promising.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Not living under any rock happening here Joanne. Thanks for actually describing the term. Must be more common knowledge in your parts. I genuinely doubt I'm the only one who wasn't familiar with the term, so the 'under a rock' comment was perhaps a little unnecessary. Good luck. I do hope it's very successful. I know you work hard.

Apologies Trevor. It was meant as a joke but I realize it was in poor taste.

On a lighter note: my first NFT has been sold out! To one collector! This looks very positive. Im'gonna try another song smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps we aren't living on the digital cusp smile but we are internet savvy, have licensed 26 songs via the net, released many songs on the various platforms, create/maintain our website including occasional HTML encoding and conduct nearly all our financial activity on the net; however, NFT is a term we had zero familiarity with. So live and learn! smile

Hope it proves productive for you.

J&B

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Its the next big thing in buying stuff you can't touch with money that only exists as code. Can't see how that can go bad. But more power to those who make it work!

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I can see NFT transactions for something that is not reproducible, like an original painting. But what prevents the person who buys a music performance in digital form from marketing it further?

I don't think I want to go there, but best of luck.

Joanne, since forum rule #7 requires explicit permission from PG Music for advertising, have you checked with them as well? You should be OK since you used only BIAB.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I can see NFT transactions for something that is not reproducible, like an original painting. But what prevents the person who buys a music performance in digital form from marketing it further?

Absolutely nothing. The idea is that you're buying an NFT, which makes you the owner of that NFT as far as that blockchain system goes. Whatever the NFT points to, in this case an MP3, obviously remains as reproducible as ever.

It's all about collectability and saleability. If you have an NFT of an MP3 and can convince somebody to buy it from you, you might make money. The blockchain is there to support this sort of transaction. But it has nothing to do with playing music, the fact that the MP3 is involved at all is a technicality. You might as well be buying and selling NFTs of the number 17.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 03/30/22 11:08 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, Mark, thanks for that, I think. Then if someone bought my music, it could be re-marketed legally in any way and the composer and publisher do not make anything further? No, thank you.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You're purchasing a link in the blockchain that says you "own" what the link points to.

You might wonder what rights are conferred to the purchaser of the music NFT.

It's not "unique access", since anyone can go to the web page and play the song themselves. This is probably a grey area, since Joanne's mechanical license is only for "25 Digital Downloads", and that doesn't seem to be enforced by the website. But that's an issue for the website to enforce, not Joanne.

The purchaser of the musical NFT can't sell a copy of the NFT, because they don't have a mechanical license for that. The mechanical license that Joanne purchased gives her the limited right to create covers of the song. This wouldn't be necessary if she owned the mechanical rights to the song herself (say, one she wrote herself).

But this mechanical license doesn't transfer to the person who purchased the NFT, so they wouldn't be able to make copies of the NFT without purchasing a mechanical license for themselves, the same as Joanne needed to.

The purchaser of the musical NFT also don't have the right to play the NFT publicly, as that would require a public performance license.

The only transferable right the purchaser has is to sell ownership of the link.

So the actual value of an NFT is... zero. It's pure speculation.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
OK, Mark, thanks for that, I think. Then if someone bought my music, it could be re-marketed legally in any way and the composer and publisher do not make anything further? No, thank you.

Hi, Matt.

See my response above. Since the owner of the NFT doesn't have a mechanical license, they can't re-market the NFT itself.

The only thing they can sell is the link. Which gives the rights to... sell the link again.

-- David Cuny

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
AFAICS it's a bit like buying a signed limited-edition print. Other people can have copies of the print, but only the buyers have the signature.

I do find it a decidedly odd concept.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fungible_token

Quote:
NFT ledgers claim to provide a public certificate of authenticity or proof of ownership, but the legal rights conveyed by an NFT can be uncertain. NFTs do not restrict the sharing or copying of the underlying digital files, do not necessarily convey the copyright of the digital files, and do not prevent the creation of NFTs with identical associated files.

NFTs have been used as a speculative asset, and they have drawn increasing criticism for the energy cost and carbon footprint associated with validating blockchain transactions as well as their frequent use in art scams. The NFT market has been compared to a Ponzi scheme.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 03/30/22 12:25 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
NFTs are an interesting concept for sure and I don’t think anyone really knows where they are going. They could all just go to zero.

They have been quite successful for pieces of digital artwork (think JPEG). Sure they can be copied/ printed/ emailed/ displayed on your website but the blockchain knows who the “actual owners” are. So you can’t sell your “copy”. Sure you can “look” at it but you can’t sell it. It’s like having a photo of the Mona Lisa in your home. What joy would you get out of looking at it if you didn't pay anything for it? You sure can't sell it as an original. Even if you have the perfect "forgery" of a painting you can't sell it because the blockchain has a record of it and who the rightful owners are.

Edited to add. I think from an artist's perspective they are great because every time the NTF is resold you get a percentage. So unlike the “Napster” model, the artist is getting compensated for their work in perpetuity.

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 03/30/22 08:15 PM.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
To my way of thinking NFT's are as likely to be pirated and resold as anything else.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TRYUK
To my way of thinking NFT's are as likely to be pirated and resold as anything else.

That is the beauty of the block chain. They can’t be pirated.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good Luck in your NFT endeavors, Joanne!

If anything this will be a good education to us all in the experiment.

Despite some of the negativity, I'm excited to see where this goes like I am a new tech toy.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Good Luck in your NFT endeavors, Joanne!

If anything this will be a good education to us all in the experiment.

Despite some of the negativity, I'm excited to see where this goes like I am a new tech toy.

Thank you Steve. Just tried it out with one of my original songs. Only put one copy on and it sold immediately.
I also purchased one but can’t see where you figure out how much is the going price if you want to sell it! It is a learning curve all round.

If you guys are interested I can keep you all informed. Let me know.

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 03/31/22 04:06 AM.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
AFAICS it's a bit like buying a signed limited-edition print. Other people can have copies of the print, but only the buyers have the signature.

The whole blockchain thing of course has other applications, but this, I think, paints a pretty good picture of what's going on with digital art NFTs. You create a valueless entity and engage with other speculators in the hope of driving it up. Conceptually, it's like selling a notarized statement that someone owns the RAM token of the MP3 of "My Way" you played on your computer on a certain occasion.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 03/31/22 04:27 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes

The whole blockchain thing of course has other applications, but this, I think, paints a pretty good picture of what's going on with digital art NFTs. You create a valueless entity and engage with other speculators in the hope of driving it up. Conceptually, it's like selling a notarized statement that someone owns the token of the MP3 of "My Way" you played on your computer on a certain occasion.

I’m not sure that they are all valueless. Sure, there are some that are valueless but imagine that Picasso had created an NFT of the scribble he did on the napkin. That would not be valueless.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
AFAICS it's a bit like buying a signed limited-edition print. Other people can have copies of the print, but only the buyers have the signature

The whole blockchain thing of course has other applications, but this, I think, paints a pretty good picture of what's going on with digital art NFTs. You create a valueless entity and engage with other speculators in the hope of driving it up. Conceptually, it's like selling a notarized statement that someone owns the token of the MP3 of "My Way" you played on your computer on a certain occasion.

I’m not sure that they are all valueless. Sure, there are some that are valueless but imagine that Picasso had created an NFT of the scribble he did on the napkin. That would not be valueless.

I'm not saying the associated art is valueless. In your Picasso scenario, the art would have its usual value and the NFT would have whatever value is generated by speculation. You could actually buy and sell the painting and the NFT separately. One is a painting, the other is a cryptographic entity on a blockchain.

You could even create an NFT of the NFT, and buy and sell that independently of the other two. You might become rich that way!

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 03/31/22 04:40 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
AFAICS it's a bit like buying a signed limited-edition print. Other people can have copies of the print, but only the buyers have the signature

I'm not saying the associated art is valueless. In your Picasso scenario, the art would have its usual value and the NFT would have whatever value is generated by speculation. You could actually buy and sell the painting and the NFT separately. One is a painting, the other is a cryptographic entity on a blockchain.

You could even create an NFT of the NFT, and buy and sell that independently of the other two. You might become rich that way!

I’m not sure I understand your point. Some art is made on the computer. It is only digital. There is no physical painting. You could argue the music is an example of “digital art”.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think that it would be very enlightening if you keep us informed. Thank you.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
You could argue the music is an example of “digital art”

Not in question. Which is why audio tokens of songs are sold, for download or streaming, on services like Apple Music or personal websites.

My point is that creating an NFT creates nothing new of value, it only provides a way for people to (A) speculate, in the hope of making money, (B) donate to people they like, or (C) fool around with fun tech stuff for the hell of it. Nothing wrong with any of that, per se, but as outlined in the wiki article, there are reasons for caution.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 03/31/22 04:58 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
You could argue the music is an example of “digital art”

Not in question. Which is why audio tokens of songs are sold, for download or streaming, on services like Apple Music or personal websites.

My point is that creating an NFT creates nothing new of value, it only provides a way for people to (A) speculate, in the hope of making money, (B) donate to people they like, or (C) fool around with fun tech stuff for the hell of it. Nothing wrong with any of that, per se, but as outlined in the wiki article, there are reasons for caution.

Or (D) own something they love.

Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B

To do that, one would have to break the encryption.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
NFTs are supposed to gain value due the limited availability of whatever it is you are selling. It is the proof of ownership that is the limited part. I think it is a scheme and probably will be hugely popular. Who knows what is going to happen with all this stuff?

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Old Phineas Taylor Barnum is smiling for sure. grin

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I hate to upset you, but yes it can be done.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I hate to upset you, but yes it can be done.

You would have to hack, undetected, into thousands upon thousands of computers on which copies of the block chain ledger are stored. It’s not possible. NFTs can be lost and they can be stolen but they can’t be pirated.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
And you really think that there are people out there that cannot do that. Not many, but they are there. They are called hackers.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: etcjoe
NFTs are supposed to gain value due the limited availability of whatever it is you are selling. It is the proof of ownership that is the limited part. I think it is a scheme and probably will be hugely popular.

This is 100% accurate. It's already hugely popular.

But it's not sustainable.

The value of NFTs is entirely based on the expectation that the future value of the NFT will rise, because people are expecting someone in the future will pay more than they did.

But the price of something can't continue to rise forever, as people don't have an infinite amount of disposable income.

At some point, an NFT will reach an equilibrium price, where the perceived future price is lower that the selling price.

Since the only value of an NFT is that it will have a higher price in the future, the last person to purchase the NFT will be stuck holding something of negative value - they can only sell at a loss.

The tipping point for NFTs happens when collective value of negative valued NFTs outweights the sum speculative value of new NFTs.

At that point, it's game over for that NFT market.

-- David Cuny

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You would have to hack, undetected, into thousands upon thousands of computers on which copies of the block chain ledger are stored. It’s not possible. NFTs can be lost and they can be stolen but they can’t be pirated.

The blockchain assumes it's too big to fail. Unfortunately, there are a lot of sufficiently large bad actors who could prove this wrong.

The people who say the blockchain "can't" be hacked are either promoting cryptocurrencies, or lack sufficient imagination.

-- David Cuny

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

At least ^ has aesthetic value smile

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: dcuny
The people who say the blockchain "can't" be hacked are either promoting cryptocurrencies, or lack sufficient imagination.

Well, a blockchain certainly can’t be hacked by doing something naughty on thousands of personal computers at once, but that wouldn’t be the ticket anyway. You’d find a vulnerability and exploit it from a single node, injecting your toxic transaction and turning it loose to replicate.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It is an interesting debate for sure on whether the block chain can be hacked or not. I am sure that individual exchanges and wallets can be hacked (for example via the normal phishing type attacks) and the contents of that wallet or exchange can be stolen.

This is the same with any financial institution that has a digital offering.

The difference is that crypto is not regulated and these exchanges don’t have the means or insurance or processes to pay the clients back for what they have lost. Savvy investors know this and mitigate this risk by taking care of their credentials and researching what exchanges/block chains to get involved with. They also don’t put all their eggs in one basket.

But how would someone hack the actual block chain? If anyone has knowledge of how the block chain actually works and has any feasible theories on how this could be done I would love to know because the Bahamas are waiting for me

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 03/31/22 07:01 PM.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Asking how it would be possible is rather like asking a magician how he does a spectacular trick. You have nothing to fear about it happening to your piece of music. Anyone capable of doing such a thing is highly unlikely to try and do it with a $1 piece of music.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
The value of NFTs is entirely based on the expectation that the future value of the NFT will rise, because people are expecting someone in the future will pay more than they did.

... which is, of course, the way all speculation works, from commodities to art.

The trick is to estimate the effect well, and often enough, to gain more than the bad estimates lose.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nice job on the song JoAnnne! And yeah, keep us informed!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

... which is, of course, the way all speculation works, from commodities to art.

The trick is to estimate the effect well, and often enough, to gain more than the bad estimates lose.

Exactly! Could not have said it better myself.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
But how would someone hack the actual block chain? If anyone has knowledge of how the block chain actually works and has any feasible theories on how this could be done I would love to know because the Bahamas are waiting for me

https://www.technologyreview.com/2019/02/19/239592/once-hailed-as-unhackable-blockchains-are-now-getting-hacked/

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is getting ridiculous. I can also use google
https://river.com/learn/can-bitcoin-be-hacked/
The world is made up of nearly 8 billion people. No matter how outlandish a particular pov is there are bound to be plenty of others out of that 8 billion who think the same way.

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 04/01/22 05:01 AM.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’m not trying to get at you, all I wanted to do was point out that nothing is impenetrable online.

The river.com link you posted is not actually a valid source. If you scroll down the page you will see that they are selling crypto currency. I would rather believe a well respected source such as this

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2022/03/29/second-biggest-crypto-hack-ever-600-million-in-ethereum-stolen-from-nft-gaming-blockchain/?sh=5610f6ac2686

As I said, the chances of someone wasting their time trying to hack a $1 NFT song is remote, but possible.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yeah well I’m willing to take that risk. As I said, smart investors know how to mitigate their risks.

I think it is a GREAT opportunity for independent artists who have been at the mercy of “the music business” and record labels in general. Do yourself a favour and go and watch Searching for Sugarman if you think the old way was better.

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 04/01/22 05:11 AM.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I completely agree with you that NFT is an opportunity for creatives. I have read widely on the NFT system, as I have since the blockchain was conceived. My point was to inform the forum in general that nothing is 100% secure. As we are talking very tiny amounts of money of course it is worth a punt.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes! We are on the same page there.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Using the word "investor" is probably not the best way to describe buying digital assets...and are they really assets?

Speculator is a more apt term.

The only thing I will say further is that I kinda wish I had bought a few thousand bit coins when they were about a penny each. But who knew!

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
A hacker stole $625 million from the blockchain behind NFT game Axie Infinity

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/29/23001620/sky-mavis-axie-infinity-ronin-blockchain-validation-defi-hack-nft

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
On a lighter note: my first NFT has been sold out! To one collector! This looks very positive. Im'gonna try another song smile

This is interesting. I have questions if you don't mind.

First, if am I understanding this correctly,

- you set up this song as an NFT with 25 copies to sell
- you sold 25 of these to one collector but they could have sold to multiple (up to 25) collectors
- they sold for approximately $1 each
- you got 90% of that amount (approx. $22.50)
- if the NFT collector (who bought all 25) sells any or all of these down the road you will receive 10% of that sale amount
- and you continue to earn 10% on all future sales (if any) of these NFTs

1) were there any fees at all to do this (not including the license fees because it is a cover)?

2) did the collector who bought this already know you and your music?

3) why did you choose a cover instead of one of your originals? I assume it was in the hope that song name recognition will help it's success chances?

4) how would one promote their NFTs? I assume, just like Bandcamp and Spotify, you couldn't reasonably expect to be randomly discovered.

5) was the process from start to finish easy or complicated?

6) what made you choose mintsongs?

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi jx3
I have now published 5 songs. I am experimenting with different quanties and prices.
1. Fly me to the moon. 25 editions. All sold immediately to one investor
2. Diary. 50 editions. Only one sold so far
3. Three original songs. 1 edition each. Two have sold to one investor. The same person who purchased Diary.
I am increasing the price very slightly each time. I think the last original song was about $2.

To answer your questions.
1. No there were no fees. Mintsongs take a % of each sale.
2. I don’t know who the investors are. It only shows a nom de plume.
3. I figured that covers would be easier to sell because people would recognise the name of the song and we’re more like to listen to it. I think Diary was a bad choice because people don’t know that song. I may try out well known public domain songs
4. I’m not sure how you get discovered. I think you have to try and reach music lovers who are interested in collecting NFTs. I had very little interest in the post I did on my Facebook fan page. Yesterday I was trying a Facebook ad to target people who are interested in NFTs but I couldn’t figure out how to do that. Perhaps I will try google ad words. As we can see from all the negative responses to this thread these types of music lovers are few and far between!
5. It is very very easy. To mint a new song takes a few minutes. To get the License for cover takes a couple of days though.
6. I don’t actually remember why I chose mintsongs. I may have seen a fb ad?

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 04/02/22 08:59 PM.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Thanks JC! Really appreciate you sharing these details!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Thanks JC! Really appreciate you sharing these details!

It is an absolute pleasure! Let me know if you do mint some songs.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
How much is a Compulsory Mechanical Licenses?

Music is an expression that is a universal language, Never criticize anybody to harshly. They need time to grow but when they do, they do. Always be kind in what you say and do because the man upstairs is watching.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: trapper456
How much is a Compulsory Mechanical Licenses?

It depends on how many copies you want but starts at around $20 for 25
https://www.easysong.com/default.aspx

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi all. For anybody who is interested, I am going to be running a two hour zoom webinar to help people release their music as NFTs. I will also go into what NFTs actually are and why you could consider them for your music.

You can keep informed of this webinar by adding your email to my list here. https://www.joannecooper.co.za/newsletter

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi all.
If anybody is interested in learning more about my NFT journey, I held a two-hour Zoom webinar last night (11 May 2022) and went through what I have learned in detail, answered questions and showed around inside my Mintsongs account where I have been creating these things. PM me if you are interested in learning more.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
The NFT, that some guy paid a huge sum, for the first ever tweet by Jack Dorsey (Twitter founder) recently only reached something like $280 at auction. He wanted 50 million. It was a digital file of a static image of the 5 word tweet stored on a block chain and sold for 2.9 million originally. Granted a very inflated price to begin with. It is a scam the likes we have never seen.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
However, if you are the person that collected the original huge sum do you really care if the NFT now brought $280 at an auction?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
P
Paj Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
P
The whole interview is a good watch but NFTs come up at 1:04:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM4sEl8avug

Paj
8^)

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Paj
The whole interview is a good watch but NFTs come up at 1:04:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM4sEl8avug

Paj
8^)

Thanks so much for sharing. I enjoyed watching it.

However, I think this guy is talking rubbish about music NFTs. I dont think he understands music NFTs at all. He says the musician makes money out of sharing his/her music with only one person (if he/she, say, chooses to mint only one edition of a song). But it is only the OWNERSHIP of the NFT that the one person gets. The music can still be listened to (streamed), shared, and enjoyed by millions, which obviously increases demand for the NFT,

The music environment he envisages with both the creator and the music fans making money out of the music they make/love is already here with NFTs. All without the traditional gatekeepers of the record label.

He is talking about making these "super vinyl" things, which is essentially what NFTs are about. IMO the best way to learn about NFTs is to start minting and collecting them. I wouldn't hold much score on the opinion on somebody who, in all probability, has never minted or collected an NFT.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
It has been over one year since Joanne Cooper first started this thread.

So, how is everyone's NFT sales going? Has anyone made a substantial revenue out of the blockchain?

I've been running a side business called "ArtVillain" in the past year. It is essentially about trading digital fantasy artwork via NFT blockchain.

It hasn't been very successful so far due to the obstacles of "gas fees". A gas fee refers to the transaction cost for the crypto ledger to be validated each time a work is being sold from one self minted account to another.

So, for those of you who have already made a good ethereum fortune on the NFTs, could you provide some expert advice on how to circumvent the mining cost and turn the inflated sales into a profitable business?

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey musicvillian.

I stopped publishing my music as NFTs a while back. The processes to publish and monetise were rubbish, at the time, but I am not sure if they have improved.

I have been focusing my energies on products and services that help other musicians reach their goals… like my lyric tool, my play along videos and making sgu files. I’m also much more interested in developing tools using ChatGpt and GPT 4.

I think the market for nfts tanked….

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,623
Posts735,194
Members38,520
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester
38,519 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185