Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've been using my new PC for three weeks now. My setup is it's in my living room connected to my Yamaha home theater receiver via HDMI. Both the PC and DirecTV go to the receiver and it's the receiver I use to switch between them. Only one HDMI cable goes to my TV. Whats happened 4 or 5 times now is I suddenly have no sound from the PC. it just happened again. I've been switching back and forth between the TV and the PC this morning and suddenly the PC has no audio. It didn't shut down or anything, I simply switched back to the PC and no sound.

In the taskbar there's a diagonal line through the volume icon, click on it and it says no audio device installed. I checked Sound>Devices and same thing, it's empty. I tried the Troubleshooter and it came up blank as well. Somehow it lost connection with HDMI and thinks I have nothing installed. A simple reboot fixes it and now Sound>Devices says Digital Audio (HDMI). I don't think it's the cable because every time this happens a reboot brings it back without me even looking at the cable. Since this is a brand new system is this something with the HDMI controller on the mobo?

Any ideas?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
I would look at the motherboard settings. I suspect there is a port or audio setting forcing sleep mode or turn off.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
I've noticed something similar. I have my power settings set to maximum performance with idling to sleep after 2 hours. When it does sleep, I lose my Nvidia HD audio. But it doesn't seem to be the NVidia card that causes the problem. When I go into the Control Panel, click on Sound it's my ViewSonic monitor that's off line (I'm feeding audio to both my monitor and my KRK monitors). Bringing the display back on line corrects the problem.

YMMV

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Expert
Expert
As this is happening on HDMI, could it be a screensaver kicking in?

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Veteran
I don't have Windows 11 yet, but borrowing from a known problem of Windows 10, could you be receiving frequent Windows updates? Windows 10 has an annoying habit of changing default audio drivers and adding back the drivers I had indicated I wanted disabled. Some aggressive 'tune-up' type programs like Iolo System Mechanic do things like that, too. In other words, it's normal to have to review things like audio drivers and power settings frequently.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I agree Matt. Since Win 11 is fairly new, it's still common to see two or more updates in a week's time. I've seen it on 3 machines I run on it.

We've seen a lot of ideas by folks here but nothing back from Bob. Hopefully he can let us know how it's going.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm back. It's the middle of tax season so I'm pretty busy right now.

One guy I talked to thinks it could be the HDMI cable being too old because this is a new computer and the cable may not be up to current standards. I think it is probably one of the early versions of HDMI so I bought a new one. Here's yet another weird glitch. I simply switched out the cable and now no connection between the computer and my Yamaha reciever so I put the old one back and still nada. Now I'm going whatthehell? I messed around with it for a half hour trying 2 other cables and no, what worked fine with the original cable now seems dead no matter what cable I tried. I have 4 inputs on the receiver so I gave up on input 2 (1 is the sat box) and plugged into input 3 and it's all good. On a whim I plugged back into input 2 (the original one) and now it's fine too. What? Man, modern electronics, eh? I must of plugged back into input 2 like 6 times and nothing, now as soon as I plug into input 3 which worked fine and then back into 2 it now works fine again? Jeesh. Anyway after two days with the new cable no issues so far.

Thanks for the comments.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Demons.

The only logical explanation is demons.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yep, that's it. I need to burn more incense and relearn those chants...

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
A guy I use to work with had this routine when troubleshooting. He would disconnect all the cabling to a suspect circuit board, remove the circuit board from the card cage, raise the board high over his head and vigorously shake the board. Then he would install the board and connect all the cabling. I can't tell you how many times those simple steps worked.

"Space Mites", he would declare, "Had to be Space Mites. Can't be any other explanation."

Look like Space Mites are still hard at work.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well, my chanting didn't work. I was watching the news this morning on DirecTV and switched back to the PC and no audio again. The speaker icon in the system tray has an X and says "No audio device installed". As before a simple reboot fixed it. There is nothing to click on or off or configure in Device Manager, anything to do with audio is blank because when this happens. Same thing with the Troubleshooter app. It runs for a couple of minutes and comes back with no audio device installed so I need to install one. After the reboot it shows "Digital Audio (HDMI) High Definition Audio Device" installed.

My best guess and that's all it is, a guess is it's something to do with this being a Ryzen system similar to the incompatible hardware issue AMD had with Win 11 installations a few months ago.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Yep...exactly the problem I'm experiencing in my above post. All that I have to do is to go into the Control panel, click on sound and as soon as the Sound panel opens, the audio is restored. No reboot needed. Exasperating.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Your issue does sound similar but it's no quite the same. I did open the sound panel several times and it says no audio device installed. Merely opening it doesn't do anything in my case, I have to reboot. I'm on day 2 since the reboot and it's all good. So far.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Well Bob at least one of us seems to be making progress with this. Me...not so much.

Jeff

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I guess it's getting slightly better but no cigar yet. It's now 5 days and it did it again. Switched inputs to watch some TV, go back to the PC and "No audio device installed." Time to reboot anyway.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Maybe it's time to try a different tactic.

Have you thought about using a +++ HDMI Switcher +++ ?

My thought is your computer will always use the same HDMI port so it will stay active and on.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I bought a new 65" 3 days ago and now I lose sound every time I switch inputs. I tested just rebooting the system, have sound, don't open any programs. Then change the output on the receiver and bam, sound is gone. I can't understand how just changing TV's should affect this. If the PC goes into sleep mode and I wake it up, no sound, if I change inputs (not on the PC, on my Yamaha amp} no sound. Every single time. Rather than trying a splitter I have my Steinberg interface that I normally use on another system, I'll try using that and see what happens, it'll probably be fine because the audio will not be over HDMI. I don't want to use it as a substitute just a test, because no digital outs, no surround sound.

Bob

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm not declaring victory yet but I 'may' have fixed it. Many articles I read say the same thing, go into Device Manager and check the display drivers. I did that and clicked on Update Drivers and it says the most recent drivers are already installed including just now so no help there. It just occurred to me that AMD may have newer or maybe different optional drivers available anyway so I went to their website and yes, there is a whole suite of graphics software available for my chipset so I installed it and for the first time since I plugged in my new TV 4 days ago I did not lose the sound when I changed the input on my amp. Fingers crossed and it will take some time to confirm this but that could have fixed it.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Let's hope that fixes your issue, Bob.

Win 11 had only given me one issue. Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5 worked with Studio One 5X Pro but Guitar Rig 6 would not work until I changed display settings.

I downloaded Win 11 direct from Microsoft and have only had two short minor updates in two months.

I have the same software on the other main computer running Win 10. I can not see any difference in using 10 or 11. Removing Bing from Win 11 was a much more difficult issue than on Win 10.

I can say that my use of the internet, in general, is becoming more problematic by the month. More sites are asking for money to log on and some medical sites have increased their cost by large amounts.

I have a computer at my house in France that I can log into remotely from Miami. It is amazing the limited amount of news information presented on common sources like CBS or CNN and how they are many times the same word for word. Contrary to what you may see on TV, Joe Biden was not the only person at the NATO summit...lol I am not sure there is any media outlet nowadays that can be trusted to present the facts.

Microsoft Windows is an intrusive and invasive system that there are not a lot of options to replace it with. Along with the obvious benefits of an internet-connected world, there are risks that continue to evolve.

I only have one computer that I did not build myself. A laptop, which was next to useless until I took it apart and replaced memory and drives and installed the OS myself. So far Win 11 has not been any more problematic than Win 10 for me.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's been three days now and everything is fine. It just shows to go you that you really have to pay attention to details. Since I was having an audio issue of course I thought the problem would be somewhere in Win 11's sound controllers/drivers. No, since this is HDMI it was a display issue because HDMI also does audio. I'm not a gamer and the suite of software I installed from AMD is all about gaming but it also does sound and that fixed the issue.

Man, do I hear you about news sites. Talk about an echo chamber! I do a lot of YouTube watching and if you want to really find out what's happening go to YT and enter Ukraine news. There's good stuff from Australia, Sky in the UK plus my favorite channels run by former military guys from all over not just the US. There are recent vets of the Iraq/Afghanistan wars who are intimately familiar with Russian equipment, an Army Ranger, a guy who calls himself an average inftantryman in a Stryker, a UK Royal Marine, a good one from Estonia and one of my favs a guy in Germany who's a very good analyst. Some are putting up charts, analyzing battle formations and tactics. All young guys with recent combat experience.

As for political news, I don't even want to talk about it...

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199