Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#711923 04/04/22 02:45 PM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Announced today... Lots of buzz around this one.

https://www.toontrack.com/product/ezdrummer-3/

Upgrade from EZD2 for $79

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #711927 04/04/22 05:02 PM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent

Hey Dan, I am tempted to spend $179 now and get EZD 2 with a free upgrade to EZD 3.

Would that be a good move? I have never used any virtual drums except those in BIAB even though Kontakt has several options?

Could I continue to use BIAB to generate the drums as MIDI and then substitute the EZD?

Or, does EZD offer a bunch of preset patterns?

DrDan #711928 04/04/22 05:10 PM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Oh and one more question...does the basic EZDrummer come with a generous set of presets or do I have to head down a huge rabbithole of expansions in order to have it be useful?

DrDan #711951 04/05/22 01:22 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Lots of great new features, more than expected actually. Ordered my EZD2 upgrade this morning cool

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Oh and one more question...does the basic EZDrummer come with a generous set of presets or do I have to head down a huge rabbithole of expansions in order to have it be useful?

It's plenty useful without buying expensive expansions.

Early on, expansions included new genre-specific MIDI to match the style of the drums in the expansion. Later on, they released MIDI packs that included additional genre-specific MIDI, which I've bought a ton of. [Note that a few of the MIDI packs contain the same MIDI as the expansion. They are so noted.] So, you can pick up extra MIDI inexpensively without having to buy drum expansions. Of course, the MIDI is tailored to the tone of the expansion kit(s), but they're not required.

I own EZKeys, but bought Superior Drummer 2, now upgraded to SD3, instead of EZDrummer. SD3 can use EZD expansion packs, so I have bought a couple when on a nice sale (the recommended way to pick up expansions) for genres I'm interested in (Reggae, Americana). One thing to look for when buying expansions is to look for the version of EZDrummer required. The early releases for EZD1 (v1.4) are 16-bit libraries. The ezpansions that require EZD2 are 24-bit libraries.

Since even BiaB Audiophile is 16-bit, it's a wash.

Last edited by TheMaartian; 04/05/22 07:16 PM.

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 5; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
DrDan #711955 04/05/22 02:22 AM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I am glad others weighed in on these questions and hope more more will jump in. I originally bought EZD1 and upgraded to EZ2 during sales which come along annually. Unlike BIAB which folks complain that they have to buy too much, Toontrack took a different approach. In their case you buy only the basic kits with some limited midi and then have to buy all the extra midi separately. Either way, I believe, you really need it all. So pay now or pay later.

For me, EZD2 is one of those packages you love to hate or is it, hate to love? Drums are so needed and these drums can be lovely. But too many times I have had to throw my hands up in the air and just find another way to get what I needed (RD? grin ). EZD1 to EZD2 was a quantum leap in features and programming. Really remarkable! But all that power is tough to tame! I found I needed to approach drums like a individual song within a song. In fact, I would spend more time on the drum track than on the entire rest of the song. I have come to belive that this is a simple fact. Unfortunately, knowing this did not make my drums sound better.

One thing I did discover, I really needed a bigger collection of drum midi then came with the default package. When I opened my wallet and bought some of the add ons (not addition drum kits, but additional drum midi), things got better.

Drums are a unique Virtual Instrument! I buy tons of VIs. Generally all play beautifully right from the start. But not drums. I have always needed to fight the drums to capture their sounds. EZDrums is no exception.

But here is the bottom line. I do believe I will drop the $79 to upgrade.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #712153 04/06/22 09:02 AM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I am very tempted as I know very little about drums. But maybe that is also a good reason to pass on this offer and stay with RealDrums??? When people here ask for drum stems or individual drum parts I have no idea how I'd use such a thing. I'm kinda spoiled with BIAB delivering fully realized drum tracks for my use in songs.

Given that I have no skill or desire in configuring drums, will EZDrummer help me or should I just stick with BIAB for drums?

One tempting aspect of EZDrummer is to buy it as a bundle with the 2 modern drums EZX packs since I really want to try my hand at more modern music.

I quickly decided against their Superior Drummer because that appears to be a package that requires a ton of drums learning and configuring, something I have zero interest in.

I own EZKeys and really enjoy using it, especially the build-a-bear approach to assembling a piano track using pre-built pieces. Will EZDrummer offer this kind of hand-holding for a non-drums guy like me?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John3, Although I do not have EZDrummer I do know that it is GM compatible, thus all of BiaB's MIDI drum tracks will work with it. This opens the door to much better drum sounds then what comes with BiaB GM sets. Also you will have a lot more various drum tracks between BiaB MIDI and RDs. BiaB's drum tracks are very good.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #712171 04/06/22 11:43 AM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: MarioD
John3, Although I do not have EZDrummer I do know that it is GM compatible, thus all of BiaB's MIDI drum tracks will work with it. This opens the door to much better drum sounds then what comes with BiaB GM sets. Also you will have a lot more various drum tracks between BiaB MIDI and RDs. BiaB's drum tracks are very good.

Thanks Mario! I like the idea of additional usefulness of a purchase like this!

DrDan #712174 04/06/22 12:05 PM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wish I could tell you this is a no brainer, but I can't. It can be complex at times. It may require you to work on the drums a lot more then you really want to. You may have to spend more money down the road to pick up more midi add ons. The rewards may not justify the efforts. So you are on your own with this decision. Best I can tell you is you have to want to fuss with a lot of features. If you like to do that kinda stuff, this may be for you. This is no EZKeys... This will be more like EZBass.

But who am I to advise. I just spent $379 on a choir. grin

Dan

DrDan #712177 04/06/22 12:23 PM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Wish I could tell you this is a no brainer, but I can't. It can be complex at times. It may require you to work on the drums a lot more then you really want to. You may have to spend more money down the road to pick up more midi add ons. The rewards may not justify the efforts. So you are on your own with this decision. Best I can tell you is you have to want to fuss with a lot of features. If you like to do that kinda stuff, this may be for you. This is no EZKeys... This will be more like EZBass.

But who am I to advise. I just spent $379 on a choir. grin

Dan

Thanks Dan! So, does EZDrummer come with pre-done parts for intro/verse/chorus/bridge like EZKeys? Or do I have to know where to put certain sections in a song? And where to use fills? (And, also, what are fills?!?!)

Are there similarities to Kontakt Studio Drummer (which I have not used yet)?

I also have Butch Vig Drums in Kontakt and it is quite easy to use by just dragging a desired section to my DAW. And it has 22 different drum presets each with intros, verses, choruses, bridges and fills. Is EZDrummer anything like that?

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 04/06/22 12:28 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

I also have Butch Vig Drums in Kontakt and it is quite easy to use by just dragging a desired section to my DAW. And it has 22 different drum presets each with intros, verses, choruses, bridges and fills. Is EZDrummer anything like that?

Want to save some money?

Kontakt Studio Drummer is GM compatible, thus all of your BiaB MIDI drum tracks will work with it.

Also you can map Butch Vig Drums to GM so it also can be used with BiaB MIDI drum tracks.

If you like drag and drop MIDI drum loops and want to spend a little money check out GrooveMonkee:

https://groovemonkee.com/

They are having a sale right now. You can use these in place of BiaB MIDI drums or in conjunction with BiaB MIDI drums.

I have a large number of Groovemonkee MIDI drum loops and I use them quite frequently.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Dan! So, does EZDrummer come with pre-done parts for intro/verse/chorus/bridge like EZKeys? Or do I have to know where to put certain sections in a song? And where to use fills? (And, also, what are fills?!?!)

Yes EZD2 has all that and more. Use the "Song Creator", drop in a bit of midi from the library or from BIAB and it will create Intro, Verse, Pre Chorus, Chrous, Bridge, Fill, and Ending. Actually, it will create many of each so you can then mix and match. It really is a remarkable piece of software. BTW, a fill is a "lick" or "jam" used to solo the drums for a brief portion. Used for transitions. Although a whole track of Licks can sound nice...

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (113.96 KB, 191 downloads)

DrDan #712199 04/06/22 01:50 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

+1 for Kontakt Studio Drummer if you are looking for good acoustic drums.

Studio drummer has 3 sampled kits: a Pearl Masters Premium Maple kit, a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit and a Sonor SQ2 Drum System. It comes with large library of all kinds of genres / grooves, and you can get grooves for Studio Drummer either free or relatively inexpensive from site Mario mentioned or quite a few others.

Studio Drummer has variations / fills for each groove suitable for intro, breaks, etc. And there are many 3rd party stuff that have these sections too.... JJJ, for some reason, I thought you had Komplete? Komplete comes with S.Drummer. If you are familiar with Kontakt, you will feel right at home.

If you are in for electronic "beat" sounds, it is not for you.

DrDan #712219 04/06/22 03:34 PM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Yeah I agree with Mario and Rustyspoon, the studio drums from kontact are great. I have EZDrummer but never liked the results from piecing together the intro verse stuff I prefer the BiaB midi drums. I also have a bunch of the drum kits from Presonus studio one.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
DrDan #712253 04/07/22 12:57 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I was reading a bit this morning about compatibility with the older midi libraries from EZD2 to make sure they are compatible with EZD3, and found this in the FAQ:

"All your already installed EZXs or Toontrack MIDI packs will be accessible through EZdrummer 3. You will need to download and install updates, though."

Which is good, but I think it means libraries from other vendors, such as Groove Monkey, might not work unless Groove Monkey also does an update to support EZD3??

DrDan #715169 04/30/22 02:16 PM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here you go! Everything you ever wanted to know from the Bearded One himself. grin

DrDan #715172 04/30/22 02:55 PM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Thanks Dan! I didn't get to watch the Livestream but looking forward to watching the video.

Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Dan! I didn't get to watch the Livestream but looking forward to watching the video.

I placed my order mid way through the video. But I knew I was going to.... grin

DrDan #715201 05/01/22 12:08 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I placed my order mid way through the video. But I knew I was going to.... grin

With all those great 'accessories' Dan, it's no wonder you're just a little concerned about disk storage space wink

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,074
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185