Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hello, I'm very new to BIAB.
I found and put in the chords to my song, and picked a style which I like.
However, I don't want to use all of the sounds in the style all the time.

First off, is it possible to use some parts of a style but not others at certain points in the song. I saw some boxes next to the attributes of the style that I could check, but when I did it didn't change anything. I know there must be something to that, but I don't know what, and I don't really know how to describe it in the search bar.

I haven't really had too much luck with searching the forums for things I am having trouble with, so that is why I generally come here to ask.

Secondly - and I have found a few posts and videos on this but I am still confused about it - if I am trying to modify things like I mentioned above with the styles, is it best to use Realband or can I stick with the main BIAB? Since I am on a Mac, CAN I use Realband as I thought I read somewhere that Macs can't have that, even though I thought I downloaded it when I installed BIAB?

Thirdly, and this will be enough for now, how can I lengthen a chord? Like for instance when I want that elongated musical note just before going into the chorus.

Thank you for any assistance. Some of the buttons and features on BIAB are still foreign to me as to what they do but I am sure as I go along it will get easier to decipher(I hope).

Last edited by SterlingHolobyte; 04/10/22 03:46 PM.

BIAB 2020 MegaPAK Build 426
on a 2009 24-Inch iMac OSX El Capitan Version 10.11.6
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: SterlingHolobyte
Secondly - and I have found a few posts and videos on this but I am still confused about it - if I am trying to modify things like I mentioned above with the styles, is it best to use Realband or can I stick with the main BIAB? Since I am on a Mac, CAN I use Realband as I thought I read somewhere that Macs can't have that, even though I thought I downloaded it when I installed BIAB?

There is no RealBand for MacOS.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 04/10/22 03:57 PM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran

First off, is it possible to use some parts of a style but not others at certain points in the song.

Yes, Use F5 to tell what instruments when and when not to play.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:
First off, is it possible to use some parts of a style but not others at certain points in the song. I saw some boxes next to the attributes of the style that I could check, but when I did it didn't change anything. I know there must be something to that, but I don't know what, and I don't really know how to describe it in the search bar.

You need to let us know what version you are using as later versions have more features and functionality.

If your song has MIDI tracks, you can select different instruments for the style at specific bars by pressing function key <F5> and choosing Patch Changes.

If it has RealTracks, you could generate different instruments on different tracks and then change over the instruments at specific bars by using the Audio Edit window and volume automation nodes to change the volume of those tracks.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2022-02-22_09-13-18.jpg (133.99 KB, 213 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:
Thirdly, and this will be enough for now, how can I lengthen a chord? Like for instance when I want that elongated musical note just before going into the chorus.

- You cannot add further beats the the measure than the time signature allows.

- You can 'Hold' a chord by placing an ellipsis (three period characters) after the chord name (e.g. Fmin...).

- You and insert a following bar and change the number of beats in that bar (e.g. to 2) and then back to the original time signature in the successive bar. This would effectively add 2 beats to the preceding bar.

- Or you could change the tempo at that bar and then set it back at the following bar.

There will be other ways, but this might give you a starting point.

Hope this helps.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
A way you may find it easier to change a style at certain points in the song is to search the StylePicker and filter using the plus sign - + -. This limits the search to PG Music developed MultiStyles. MultiStyles increase the number of style changes from the normal 2 that display as blue or green. Most PG Music developed MultiStyles will have 4 or 6 sub-styles so that every bar you place a Bar Marker will also change the style instruments. Some instruments will be silenced and new instruments inserted into your song to replace the silenced instruments. This adds a lot of variety and dynamics to your song.

Bar Markers can be placed at any bar and can be used over and over. A MultiStyle with 4 Part Markers, each Part Marker will have 2 substyles (a and b) providing 8 style variations.

Any song can have as many as 24 Styles giving a total of 48 variations.

Here's some helpful videos:

How to find Styles that include more than two sub-styles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8rN68oTQqs

Band in a Box Part Markers How To

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ViJ2691vU

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Further to AudioTracks comments, if you are using Utility Tracks, these are not available in the Volume Changes section of the Bar Settings. So for RealTracks that are loaded onto a Utility track, you would have to use the new volume automation feature that is in the 2022 version.

Or if you have the 2021 version, you could add silence to sections using the Audio Edit window.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Audio_Edit_Silence_Utility.png (114 KB, 172 downloads)

Best,
Chantelle
Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff

People have touched on some methods already above including F5. If you're not using Utility tracks (which are only available in the newer programs, and these Utility Tracks are not in the F5 or Bar Settings menu), and are just using the legacy tracks, then you can easily go into the bar settings by right clicking on the measure you want to apply your change to -- lets say you want to mute an instrument on bar 5 and it happens to be a guitar -- you can go to the "Volume Changes At This Bar" section which is on the left hand side of the Edit Settings of Current Bar window, roughly in the center of the left hand side. You can change it to mute for that specific instrument, or any instrument you like, then hit okay. If you want to come back in on measure 30 as another example, you'd repeat the process but instead select "back to normal" for the instrument. Make sure your tracks in the mixer are unfrozen and that you regenerate the song after making your changes so that they can be applied.

This video was demonstrated in Windows, but it applies to Mac too and gives a good overview of what you can do in Bar Settings.

If you don't know how to right click on a Mac and don't like using F5 keys, you can right click on a Mac following Apple's instructions here!

RealBand is not available for Mac, but you can easily do what you're looking for in Band-in-a-Box. Volume Automation isn't available for Mac yet (which I believe someone else mentioned here earlier).

Thirdly, and this will be enough for now, how can I lengthen a chord? Like for instance when I want that elongated musical note just before going into the chorus. Thank you for any assistance. Some of the buttons and features on BIAB are still foreign to me as to what they do but I am sure as I go along it will get easier to decipher(I hope).

Others have already touched on what you can do to get the sustained/held chord, so I won't touch on that, but if you find some of the buttons a bit "foreign" and prefer to see everything on one screen like I do, you can press control and T together when on your main chord sheet to toggle your view to classic mode. The modern view is nice and sleek, but as a low vision user I personally like all my buttons out in the open and nice and big and colourful. You may find this view easier to navigate. You can always use control and T to toggle back any time.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Ember
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Since you are on MAC.... you don't have Real Band.

However, that doesn't preclude you from exporting the individual tracks into a MAC compatible DAW and working on the project in the DAW. This would give you the option to automate the volume faders to bring things in and out as needed.

As I understand it.... these are all MAC compatible DAWs.
Apple Logic Pro.
FL Studio.
GarageBand.
Audacity.
Ableton Live.
Studio One.
Reason.
Cubase.

I do that exact thing in Sonar. I find it's much easier in a DAW than to use the commands in BB to control instruments.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 04/14/22 02:02 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes

There is no RealBand for MacOS.

Thanks. It must have been RealTracks that I remembered downloading.

Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks all for your responses. I haven't had time lately to try the suggestions out yet nor to even get on BIAB unfortunately, but I will be putting these things into practice.
Ah, life. I hate when it gets in the way of making music. smile

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks all for your responses. I haven't had time lately to try the suggestions out yet nor to even get on BIAB unfortunately, but I will be putting these things into practice.
Ah, life. I hate when it gets in the way of making music. smile

All great things come in time! I'm sure once you get to making music again that you'll have a blast. When you do start using Band-in-a-Box to make some, if you need anything at all, we're always here to help!

Cheers,
Ember
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent

Yes, Use F5 to tell what instruments when and when not to play.

When I click F5, I get this, which I can't really make heads or tails out of.
What I am trying to do is(on Bar 10 in the picture, among others) remove a sound for some of the bars, but I don't really know what it is called. The style is _FACTORY.STY. Factory Industrial Rock, and when I look into that I am guessing it might be the "Loop 3 Rapier Pads." It is kind of a vibrating, pulsating sound that I like but I don't want it on every bar.
Is there a way to quickly do this using F5? Because as you can see from the pic, there isn't much information to go on. Least wise, any information that I myself can make out.

F5 copy.jpg (103.18 KB, 75 downloads)

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I've attached two screen shots. One is your screen shot with two areas highlighted.
The second displays the track settings.

Lets assume the sound you want to mute is the rapier pads (the string track on my view and loop 3 on your view). Lets also assume you want the sound to stop on bar 10 and start again on bar 14.

1. At bar 10, open the rapier pads track settings and select MUTE.
2. Advance the highlighted bar setting to bar 14.
3. Open the rapier pads track settings and select Back To Normal.

Clipboard02.jpg (144.2 KB, 68 downloads)
F5 Settings Screen
Clipboard01.jpg (159.18 KB, 68 downloads)
F5 Track sub menu

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Since you are on MAC.... you don't have Real Band.

However, that doesn't preclude you from exporting the individual tracks into a MAC compatible DAW and working on the project in the DAW. This would give you the option to automate the volume faders to bring things in and out as needed.

As I understand it.... these are all MAC compatible DAWs.
Apple Logic Pro.
FL Studio.
GarageBand.
Audacity.
Ableton Live.
Studio One.
Reason.
Cubase.

I do that exact thing in Sonar. I find it's much easier in a DAW than to use the commands in BB to control instruments.

+1
The combination of Biab and a DAW definitely ups your game in the quality of the tracks you produce. That approach is one many forum members use.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195