Page 1 of 2 1 2
#713351 04/15/22 08:24 AM
Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
I came across this app for my android phone called Chord Ai.

This app does a good job in extracting chords not only from audio, and video files from YouTube and your file system, but also from a live source as from radio station or a live show.

I have only tried a few times so far and to be honest it has recognised chords much more accurate than ACW.

The paid Pro version is reasonably priced with a one time purchase of £11.49 and they say that it comes with a larger chord library.

Has anyone tried this paid application also?

What do you make of it?

Here is a YouTube link for you.

Chord Ai

Last edited by biab-user; 04/15/22 08:26 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks. I'm trying it on my iPhone.

So far, it's not too bad. I'm using my own album where I know the chords (I wrote the songs in BIAB) as a test. I think for complex upper extensions in jazz, I will need the Pro version, but it's not doing too badly so far in the free version. More later...

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
I think that with the pro version you would be able to edit the chords in the chart page, unfortunately can't verify this.

Veteran
Veteran
I tried the pro version with one-month subscription for $4/mo US. It does better on complex chords than the free version but still misses a lot. I get a straight 7 chord when it's a 13, or a m7 when it's a m11, that sort of error. However, this may be more accurate than anything else I've used. More tests needed.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Sound promising.

Have you tried the live mode by pressing the red button and maybe playing some fancy chords?

On my Android phone I don't get a subscription option, just one time purchase.

Veteran
Veteran
On my iPhone, I can make a one-time purchase, a yearly subscription, or a monthly subscription.

The documentation said that using the microphone is less accurate than analyzing an existing recording, so No, I did not try it, since it already is not fully accurate enough for me. I'm not a keyboard player (I play all the horns). However, for a first run through a song to get the basic chords without complex extensions, the app is helpful. For genres other than modern jazz or Brazilian jazz, the app might be spot on in its recognition of chords.

Veteran
Veteran
A few more observations after working with the Pro version (one month subscription).

It does not appear to recognize #11, a chord used extensively in Brazilian music and jazz. However, it offers a substitute. Example: for G13#11 it thinks it is a DmMaj13/G

In simpler chords, instead of #11, it prefers b5. That's OK. Same note enharmonically, lower register.

It sometimes adds 11 when I think it's a minor 9 chord.

It does not seem to have 7alt as a choice, but that's OK as this chord has multiple meanings.

It sometimes adds 9 when I think it's a major 7 chord.

But overall, this app still does the best job of anything I have used to transcribe jazz.

B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
That's interesting reading, thanks for your observations.

It looks like this app will do more that I will be needing, mainly, getting a rough chart from my other band mates on new material.

I will be buying it outright, at that price I won't consider paying monthly. grin

Veteran
Veteran
I decided to give it a real workout on a song I’ve been tweaking for years. Out of ten recommendations that were different from what I thought, I rejected seven. Some of those were inadequate but not really wrong, just incomplete. I gave examples above. Two made me reconsider my work and, while OK, were not what I think best. But one was something I accepted.

I’ve made money for 50 years doing transcriptions. PG Music even paid me. I’m slow, but I’m good. This app is the first time I’ve ever changed my mind based on a computer program’s recommendation. I think the reason is that an algorithm has no preconceived ideas about what it hears. I see a chord progression and I think, sure, that’s common, expected, and fits here, so that’s done. Except, maybe there’s another note in there. And maybe that note is masked by the more obvious bass and melody tones so I overlooked it, but the computer program heard all notes as equally important in the calculation.

Veteran
Veteran
Wow! If that thing could drop the chords directly into BIAB, that would be a game changer!

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
Good point. I didn’t experiment with any part of the app yet except chord recognition.

B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
I don't think it is possible , at least on this version.

You can download pdf of file, that means you'll need to enter the chords in BIAB manually.

I went ahead to purchase the app. Shame their price structure is different for Android... I couldn't pay monthly. I had assumed that I could have edited the chords presented to me with the Pro version, I was mistaken. I have written to the tech people asking them if there is a way to edit the chords, will let you know what they say about it.
Still, it is a useful app to me.

Veteran
Veteran
I wonder how its results would compare to BiaB's own ACW?

It would be interesting to analyze a known song in both systems and compare the results against the original baseline material. One that contains a reasonable degree of complex chords.

Anyone interested to try that?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Follow-up: I could export a chord chart, and it looks like iReal Pro does.

I sent a feature request for Music XML export, and they acknowledged it right away.

So far I think this is more accurate than ACW but you’re right, a comparison test would help.

B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Today I received a reply from Chord ai tech regarding editing the chart on Android devices, unfortunately it is not possible at this moment.

Regarding ACW, I haven't done a like for like comparison to Chord Ai using the same audio but ACW has never shown more than about 60% accuracy on audio that I have fed to it. I always have to search and replace chords... Maybe I don't use it correctly. Chord Ai seems much better at it. Just as well it does, as I can't edit the given chords, as already mentioned.

Last edited by biab-user; 04/20/22 06:23 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
I used this again yesterday with good results.

One feature is it works for every beat. This can be a critical difference from ACW depending on the song.

It also made some suggestions for some #5 or b9 additions where I would have settled for the straight 9 or 13 chord. This was really helpful!

It isn’t perfect. It left out quite a few chords. Yet, if it does make a suggestion, that suggestion is either correct or worth considering.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: biab-user

What do you make of it?

Here is a YouTube link for you.

Chord Ai

Hey, that is my friend Simeon! He never mentioned to me he had done this video. Not that he clears everything or anything with me, but he is a buddy. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E
I just tried Chord AI today. The short answer for me is it's sort of okay. It's considerably better than Chordify, another app that's supposed to do the same thing. But neither one is there yet.

Fussy details follow.

I tried it on: "There is Only You" by Art Porter, "Before You Go" by Lyle Mays, and Eric Reed's jazz version of "Prelude in E Minor" by Chopin. For me these are hard tunes to figure out the changes for. They are tunes I already had in BIAB, so I created a new copy of the tune and substituted the AI changes. In many cases the app chose different changes than I would - but that could happen with other musicians. We often hear changes differently.

But in some cases the changes were just dead wrong. I could give a number of examples, but the simplest is that in identical repeats Chord AI chose different chords. (Chordify does the same thing.)

So, is Chords AI worth it? In spite of my comments I'm thinking yes. It's not perfect, but it would give me the tunes structure and a place to start. I think it would save me time when I'm trying to figure out tunes I find in Youtube that I can't find the changes for.

Veteran
Veteran
Does anyone know if this is available for the PC?

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper

https://appsplayground.com/chord-ai-real-time-chord-recognition-pc/

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper

https://appsplayground.com/chord-ai-real-time-chord-recognition-pc/

Thanks Ray, but the link you provide may be a scam or a different software.
After I submitted my post here I sent a message to the Chord ai folks (from their website) asking the same question. Vivien Seguy replied and said "Only Android and iOS...".

Have you actually used "Chord AI - Real-time chord recognition for PC"?

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Veteran
Veteran
BassThumper, the link RayC provided gives generic details about using an Android emulator to run the Android version of the app on a pc.

Quote:
Let's find out the prerequisites to install Chord AI - Real-time chord recognition on Windows PC or MAC computer without much delay.

Select an Android emulator: There are many free and paid Android emulators available for PC and MAC, few of the popular ones are Bluestacks, Andy OS, Nox, MeMu and there are more you can find from Google.

Compatibility: Before downloading them take a look at the minimum system requirements to install the emulator on your PC.

For example, BlueStacks requires OS: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista SP2, Windows XP SP3 (32-bit only), Mac OS Sierra(10.12), High Sierra (10.13) and Mojave(10.14), 2-4GB of RAM, 4GB of disk space for storing Android apps/games, updated graphics drivers.

Finally, download and install the emulator which will work well with your PC's hardware/software.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
My bad for not reading the entire webpage.
Not interested in an emulator, I'll wait for the company to produce a Windows version.
But thanks Jim.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Veteran
The developers of Chord AI for my iOS products told me directly that the app does not run on Windows.

The logo for that web link appears to match the app, but I'm not going to run it to try it on Windows until something looks more official.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
The developers of Chord AI for my iOS products told me directly that the app does not run on Windows.

The logo for that web link appears to match the app, but I'm not going to run it to try it on Windows until something looks more official.

I am TOTALLY with you. Right now it smells too fishy for me to try it with the emulator.
I can live with the phone app until, as you say, something more official comes out.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Veteran
many people run Andriod emulators, (you can get all sorts from all sorts of sources), to run apps just as some run W95 emulators to run old games etc. Think of it as the bridging software that allows an old 32 bit VST to run in a 64 bit DAW or the "wrappers" that were once so common when using non native VSTs in a DAW.
A agree that running it though an emulator may be a little buggy or clumsy BUT you did ask about availability and this is all there is at present.

Last edited by rayc; 11/21/22 04:47 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
A agree that running it though an emulator may be a little buggy or clumsy BUT you did ask about availability and this is all there is at present.

I appreciate the feedback but it's not worth it for me at this time. Buggy, clumpsy and possibly virus laden is what I'm thinking.

I am curious, do you have direct experience with it?

BiaB 2024 Windows
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,523
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195