Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
OP Offline
S
I did a search on this topic, and the posts I found were several years old, so I'm starting a new one.

I would really like to see an option in Band-in-a-Box to display chords enharmonically. I have a chord chart that is in concert D, but transposed display for tenor saxophone, which is E. This chart includes chords like C# and G#, but BIAB converts them to Db and Ab, which makes no sense in the displayed EMaj key signature. This is really aggravating.

I opened a chat with PG Music, and they confirmed that overriding the chord conversion is not currently possible. When I asked the chat person to forward this as a feature request, she told me to come here as it might get more attention.

So if you think this is a good idea, I hope you'll add your two cents so PG Music will respond!

JL

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Firstly, welcome.

I definitely support it, but I could actually enter the chords I think you are looking for.
I started a new song in the key of D Maj
I entered a C# and a G# chord
I transposed (Edit > Transpose > Transpose # of semitones) and also via the Key of Song setting.
The C# changed to a D# and the G# changed to an Bb, but I could then change the Bb to an A#.

Even with a song in the key of Db I could enter sharpened chords (see 2nd image)

I know you cannot enter Cb or Fb or B# or E# but you mentioned different chords than this.

Could you explain your steps further, also what version / build of BiaB are you running, and is this Windows or Mac?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2022-04-16_6-45-48.jpg (78.69 KB, 148 downloads)
2022-04-16_6-56-51.jpg (86.45 KB, 148 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, welcome to Saxfiend. Nice name.

Audiotrack, maybe I'm missing something but I think the question is this:

Create a song in the key of D. The most important step is to set the key signature to D (not leave it as C, the default).
Add chords of B and F#
Use the key signature pull-down, left-hand column, to change D to E
The chords now are showing as C# and G#

However, this transposed the audio up a step.

If you want the audio to remain in concert D, then the better way is:

Options, Preferences, Notation, Transpose, change 0 to 2.
Now the chords are still showing for tenor sax C# and G#, and there is a little "+2" in the key signature, giving you a visual indication you have a transposition in effect visually only. The song still plays in Concert D so you can play along on your tenor sax. Since you said "transposed display for tenor" I think this is the way you did it.

So, to Saxfiend, it works correctly for me. Therefore, it would help to know if you are on a Mac or Windows version (Windows here), and what year and build of BIAB you are using (2022, Build 920 here). Find this in Help, About. That might make a difference in what you are getting. Then tell us exactly the steps you are using to transpose (as there are several ways to do it).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the clarification Matt. Yes, your method would be the correct one to only change the 'displayed' chords and notation but not change the key.

However, the undesirable enharmonic chord display being described might be related to the version in use. So, yes, we need a little more detail.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Could you explain your steps further, also what version / build of BiaB are you running, and is this Windows or Mac?

Thanks for responding, here are some more details of my scenario.

First off, I'm running Band-in-a-Box 2021 for Mac. I don't know the build, but I've confirmed that the latest updates are in place. The Mac is on the latest OS (Monterrey).

As I mentioned in my first post, I play tenor sax, which is a transposed instrument (Bb), so I use the BIAB transposition feature to set my chart to display properly for tenor sax. This means that for a song that's in concert D, the playback is in D, but the chords display as E. (I'm sure all of you already know this, but I'm just trying to cover all the bases!) When I start a new song, BIAB recalls this setting from my previous song, so the transposition is already set.

So here are the steps I followed for this specific song (Wave):

1. Open a new song; BIAB displays a blank chord chart in C (or maybe D since the transposition is already set, I can't recall). Next to the key signature, the transposition box displays +14 for tenor sax, as in the attached photo.
2. Change the key signature to E.
3. Enter the chord sequence.
4. In this song, measure 9 is C#-7 on beat 1, F#7 on beat 3. I enter those chords, and BIAB changes them to Db-7, Gb7. Obviously, this is not what I want.

I hope this makes things more clear. As I noted before, PG Music says I can't get these chords to display correctly, but if you know of a way to do this, I'd love to hear it!

JL

[img:left]https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsUvG0xxHjzbgctzE2lPh_wT6DL8RA?e=ZB1FvI[/img]

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, this is very helpful.

I can’t see the image on my phone.

Could you elaborate on step 2? Exactly what you did?

When I get to a computer I’ll try to reproduce, but I use BIAB 2022 on Windows.

In general, I do all my songs in concert pitch, then transpose. I play several transposing instruments so this makes it easier to keep track. And that little plus sign is a request from several of us users.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Thanks, this is very helpful.

I can’t see the image on my phone.

Could you elaborate on step 2? Exactly what you did?

When I get to a computer I’ll try to reproduce, but I use BIAB 2022 on Windows.

In general, I do all my songs in concert pitch, then transpose. I play several transposing instruments so this makes it easier to keep track. And that little plus sign is a request from several of us users.

Hi Matt, sorry I can't figure out how to insert a photo in a post.

In step 2, what I do is click the button for key signature and change it to E. The button I'm referring to is on the line just above the chord chart; the buttons on this line display as |ev8|4/4|E|+14|85|100%|. i.e., |even 8ths|time sig|key sig|transposition|tempo|speed percent|

Hope this helps.

JL

PS -- it makes no difference if I enter in concert pitch then transpose.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
To post an image, do a Reply (not Quick Reply). Look for the words File Manager, which is a link, below the area where you type a message.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Hi Matt, sorry I can't figure out how to insert a photo in a post.

Tip, to attach an image follow these directions:

How to attach an image

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
OP Offline
S
To post an image, do a Reply (not Quick Reply). Look for the words File Manager, which is a link, below the area where you type a message.

Thanks! Here's the screenshot I was trying to add before.

JL

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Wave.jpg (62.95 KB, 82 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
OK, humor me and try these steps. It may be a Mac thing, but let's first try this:

Following my recommendation to always work first in concert pitch,

1. Create a new song
2. Change the key signature to D using the box to the left of the tempo, and the left-hand column (Transpose and Set Key Signature)
3. Enter the chords D B F#
4. Go to the key signature box and use the far right area, to the right of the displayed key of D, to select +14 for tenor sax
5. I then see E C# G# and the key remains D, which is the correct concert pitch key, with the visual aid that the +14 visual transposition is in effect. Of course, to a tenor sax player, you would have to realize you are playing in the key of E, but the screen doesn't show it. Think concert pitch...

What chords do you see?

Can't be done? Really? If you don't see what I see, then I think we can conclude it's either a limitation in the Mac version, or an improvement made in version 2022.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
OP Offline
S
OK, humor me and try these steps.

That did the trick!

Specifically, I followed your steps exactly and got the same results. So then I went back to my existing chart, and changed the transposition display back to concert pitch. The display now showed the concert key chords, but the key signature was still E. So I changed the key signature to D, but with no transposition; this resulted in the displayed chord chart staying the same (the correct chords for concert key), but the key signature now matched the chord chart. Finally, I changed the transposition display back to +14 for tenor sax. Now, the chord chart displays as if it was in E, but the key signature remains D (as you noted). And the chords in question are displaying correctly -- that is, C# is no longer Db, F# is no longer Gb.

Many thanks for your help!!

JL

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I'm pleased that it is solved, for the most part depending on how you do it, and that it works on a Mac running 2021.

You might consider doing two things:

a) contact the PG Music Support person and ask them to read this thread
b) go back to your first post where you will see a button that says Mark as Resolved

You probably saw from my avatar that I play several horns, and I have learned to always think in concert pitch. In other words, enter the songs as if you are using a Concert pitch fakebook or lead sheet, not the way Mark described above. Then watch that little + sign that we requested, to make sure you know what transposition is in effect, since as you say, it persists. The other general advice to all is, for this and other reasons, always set the key signature of a new song first. I might put together another short tutorial on this.

You asked a terrific first question here. I look forward to reading more from you. I had to sell my Mark VI tenor (arthritis) but still play soprano. Cheers.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
OP Offline
S
I'm pleased that it is solved, for the most part depending on how you do it, and that it works on a Mac running 2021.

You might consider doing two things:

a) contact the PG Music Support person and ask them to read this thread
b) go back to your first post where you will see a button that says Mark as Resolved

You probably saw from my avatar that I play several horns, and I have learned to always think in concert pitch. In other words, enter the songs as if you are using a Concert pitch fakebook or lead sheet, not the way Mark described above. Then watch that little + sign that we requested, to make sure you know what transposition is in effect, since as you say, it persists. The other general advice to all is, for this and other reasons, always set the key signature of a new song first. I might put together another short tutorial on this.

You asked a terrific first question here. I look forward to reading more from you. I had to sell my Mark VI tenor (arthritis) but still play soprano. Cheers.

Matt -- thanks for the tip on the "resolved" status; I've set this. I'll also follow your advice on forwarding to PG Music, as this setting is either not documented or poorly documented.

The big takeaway here for me is that the key signature is always the concert key, no matter what if any transposition is set. My (incorrect) assumption had been that the key signature button reflected the transposed key.

Now that I know that, I can continue using the +14 display transposition that is my default for new songs, with the awareness that I need to set the key signature for the corresponding concert key. In other words, if I'm copying over a chart from the Bb Real Book that is in G, I just need to set the key signature to F, then just enter the same chords as in the Real Book. I verified this scenario with further experimentation.

Sorry you had to get rid of your Mark VI tenor! I have a Mark VI bari sax, but my tenor and alto are both Balanced Actions. cool

Many thanks again!

John Liles (aka saxfiend)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
John, it wasn’t always this way, only in the last handful of years. There are many ways to transpose. That’s why we asked you to explain your exact steps.

Wouldn’t you know it, there’s a bari player asking about this now, first post also. I can’t help at the moment. Want to give it a shot? https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=713467#Post713467

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
OP Offline
S
Wouldn’t you know it, there’s a bari player asking about this now, first post also. I can’t help at the moment. Want to give it a shot?

Thanks for the heads-up. See my reply and add any comments or corrections when you have the time.

JL

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,623
Posts735,194
Members38,520
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester
38,519 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185